Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 55
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 9:16:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Rain happens quite often and the bike and I have been soaked several times lately. The wheels are Zipp 404 Firecrest and came on the bike when I bought it secondhand. I do have a set of Reynolds Solitude on my backup bike but I'd have to get an 11spd hub to adapt them and then I'd have no wheels for the backup.

On the other hand, I love the Zipp wheels and I want to ride the crap out of them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I rode a set of carbon Reynolds as every day wheels for ~3000 miles, with no problems at all.

Edited to add, I live in AZ, and a ride in the rain is never gonna happen for me. So, I didn't need to worry about trashing my carbon wheels. I have a set of Mavic Cosmics for that!!
Rain happens quite often and the bike and I have been soaked several times lately. The wheels are Zipp 404 Firecrest and came on the bike when I bought it secondhand. I do have a set of Reynolds Solitude on my backup bike but I'd have to get an 11spd hub to adapt them and then I'd have no wheels for the backup.

On the other hand, I love the Zipp wheels and I want to ride the crap out of them.
I think the only downside to using them in the rain, would be accelerated wear on the brake tracks. I've had training setups that saw regular wet use in Oregon, that I never had a problem with, as long the maintenance was kept up.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 9:46:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Strava data

Haven't been on many rides this year - buddy and I did a good super windy ride yesterday on the roughest trails we have around here.

Cloud after cloud of bugs, and super windy. Made for a tough ride. Then, about four blocks from being home... both of my legs 100% cramp up while climbing. I barely got out of the pedals before collapsing in the grass and flopping around for five minutes trying to work out the cramps. I probably gave the houses across the road a good show. 

My wife's amazing, and came to rescue me. My gut and shorts/jersey were covered in dead bugs. Evidently they were even stuck to my face. 

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:51:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Looking to get some input--this kind of came out of left field and I wasn't planning on it, but may take the opportunity to jump on it.  Guy in my local multi-sport group is selling his used 2015 Felt B2; I've wanted a tri bike for awhile now and figured this could be an easier way to get one without dropping a few grand to buy new.  He's asking $2000, but bicyclebluebook.com says it's worth $1500 even in excellent condition (original retail was $3699).  Not sure what fair market value on a full carbon bike with Ultegra Di2 groupset would be--not as familiar with Felt bikes.  $1500 seems low for the amount of bike you get and it only being two years old, but I don't want to overpay either.  He also says he has a Zipp 808 front for $800 and Zipp Super 9 disc for $1700 which both seem high (pretty sure I found a NOS 2015 808 for $950), but said he would bundle the bike/wheels together for a crazy deal if interested.  Not sure I want to jump straight into 808/disc territory either though.  Taking a look at in person this evening before our group ride, but it is being looked after by our local bike shop so I would assume it's been well cared for and thoroughly inspected.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 11:31:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
A guy I ride with started training with a power meter last year and he has really made improvements with it. He's so technical and analytical now with his riding. It's made me want one but my riding time is so unpredictable that I think it would not be worth spending the money for one. I also have several other things that would probably be better served, like a set of lightweight climbing wheels.

Which brings me to asking you guys a question as well.

If you had a set of nice carbon wheels and did not race, triathlon, ride with the fast group, etc., would you use those wheels full time?
View Quote
Unless your body fat percentage is well under 10%, IMO a power meter is a better investment than super light wheels-I've gotten a lot better pacing myself up hills or bucking headwinds so If I run out of gas, its only as I crest a hill or turn a corner out of the wind.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 12:26:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Unless your body fat percentage is well under 10%, IMO a power meter is a better investment than super light wheels-I've gotten a lot better pacing myself up hills or bucking headwinds so If I run out of gas, its only as I crest a hill or turn a corner out of the wind.
View Quote
I'm definitely no lightweight but my reference to buying climbing wheels mainly comes from the fact I have no other wheels than the 404 Zipps in 11spd for that bike. In the end I'll probably continue to ride the Zipps full time, and never end up with a power meter either!
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 1:13:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'm definitely no lightweight but my reference to buying climbing wheels mainly comes from the fact I have no other wheels than the 404 Zipps in 11spd for that bike. In the end I'll probably continue to ride the Zipps full time, and never end up with a power meter either!
View Quote
Some local riders have bought these as (reasonably) light weight wheels which also give you the option of using latex tubes that are often a no-go on carbon rims; to beat the weight by maybe 200 grams or so you'd have to spend at least $1K more for a carbon wheelset.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/campagnolo-zonda-c17-road-clincher-wheelset-2017/rp-prod153495
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 3:53:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Blargh!!!!

3:04 ride time
44.32 miles
14.44 average speed

Legs gave out right around the 2 hour mark, and it was survival mode on any incline I hit.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 3:58:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Looking to get some input--this kind of came out of left field and I wasn't planning on it, but may take the opportunity to jump on it.  Guy in my local multi-sport group is selling his used 2015 Felt B2; I've wanted a tri bike for awhile now and figured this could be an easier way to get one without dropping a few grand to buy new.  He's asking $2000, but bicyclebluebook.com says it's worth $1500 even in excellent condition
View Quote

I asked my IronMan Tri co-worker who rides Felt, he said this bike sounds a bit pricey unless he's got some stuff to sweeten the pot like pedals, power meter, etc. Is he asking 2k for the bare bike? 
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 4:39:30 PM EDT
[#9]
New bike day is the best kind of day.

Link Posted: 6/26/2017 4:44:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
New bike day is the best kind of day.

https://imgur.com/w5GlyXK.jpg
View Quote
Love the color scheme
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 7:44:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I asked my IronMan Tri co-worker who rides Felt, he said this bike sounds a bit pricey unless he's got some stuff to sweeten the pot like pedals, power meter, etc. Is he asking 2k for the bare bike? 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looking to get some input--this kind of came out of left field and I wasn't planning on it, but may take the opportunity to jump on it.  Guy in my local multi-sport group is selling his used 2015 Felt B2; I've wanted a tri bike for awhile now and figured this could be an easier way to get one without dropping a few grand to buy new.  He's asking $2000, but bicyclebluebook.com says it's worth $1500 even in excellent condition
So I finally got a look at the bike yesterday--in short it isn't what he said it was.  Got there and couldn't find it--knew what it was supposed to look like from pictures and it just wasn't there.  Eventually found a Felt B2, but it was the wrong color way.  Talked to some of the bike shop guys that are helping him sell it and the owner of the shop knows the guy very well and sold him the bike new.  I was curious because bicycle blue book said MSRP on a 2015 B2 was $3700, but the owner said he bought it new for $5700--things didn't add up so when I got home last night I did some more research.

Turns out Felt didn't offer a B2 in 2014--I'm guessing they sold the 2013 model through 2014 and then had remaining stock sold in 2015 before they launched the official 2015 model.  The original owner of this bike must have bought it in early 2015 and thought it was a 2015, but from what I can tell the bike is actually a 2013 model.  Bicycle blue book shows an MSRP of $6200 for a 2013 B2 (so an original purchase price of $5700 is realistic) and to be fair it even says used value in very good-excellent condition is $2000-2100 so his pricing is actually in line with what it really is (and it really has been well taken care of).  Problem is, it's not actually a 2015 model so while it may only have two years of use on it, it's actually four year old technology.  I can't justify that when a new-old stock 2016 B2 or even a 2016 Giant Trinity Advanced Pro 1 is only a couple hundred over his asking price.  I'm going to pass on this bike--there are too many options for much newer bikes that are similarly spec'd out around the same money.  Seems like the price of this bike has been artificially inflated due to increased original price.  The exact same bike with same frame technology and groupset from a more recent year costs less than this one.

ETA: Forgot to mention it may have had a power meter--I forget, but it did have a cadence sensor, aero extension bottle cage, saddle bag, and Dura Ace pedals

With the exception of a change of the color of bar tape they look like the same bike to me:

http://2013.feltracing.com/USA/2013/TT-TRI/B-Series/B2.aspx
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 7:44:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 11:35:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Strava data

Haven't been on many rides this year - buddy and I did a good super windy ride yesterday on the roughest trails we have around here.

Cloud after cloud of bugs, and super windy. Made for a tough ride. Then, about four blocks from being home... both of my legs 100% cramp up while climbing. I barely got out of the pedals before collapsing in the grass and flopping around for five minutes trying to work out the cramps. I probably gave the houses across the road a good show. 

My wife's amazing, and came to rescue me. My gut and shorts/jersey were covered in dead bugs. Evidently they were even stuck to my face. 

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/125861/20170625-175001-239175.JPG
View Quote
What are you drinking when you ride?  I've always had cramping issues after 25-30miles..Recently I switched to Skratchlabs (I was drinking gatorade) I've done several 30-40 milers since then with no problem
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:47:39 AM EDT
[#14]
That's a real nice bike you've got there!! Here's mine. Single speed, fully rigid. I ride this one more than my Pivot!!
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:17:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

What are you drinking when you ride?  I've always had cramping issues after 25-30miles..Recently I switched to Skratchlabs (I was drinking gatorade) I've done several 30-40 milers since then with no problem
View Quote
Straight water. I'll have to check that out. 
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 11:26:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Holy crap no wonder you are cramping..those longish rides you need to keep those electrolytes going or your legs will seize
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 4:23:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Assuming it's legit-great deal on Ultegra equipped carbon Giants if you're in the DC area.

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/bop/6184311701.html
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 6:31:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
That will flush out your electrolytes.

I hydrate like hell the day before a big ride and I use Cliff Blocks or gels to good success.

To drink? I use OJ for the electrolytes and carbs. I pay for it in heartburn later though but a fat swig of OJ gives a noticeable charge.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 8:58:13 PM EDT
[#19]
This roadie is taking a step towards the dark side with a new machine - Intense ACV 27+

Link Posted: 7/3/2017 3:33:03 PM EDT
[#20]
My riding buddy Gene, who spends most of his time riding in Florida, and a few months of the year here in the mountains of Virginia, had an accident during a charity ride about 6 weeks ago. The results were a collapsed lung, broken clavicle, and 7 fractured ribs. Did this stop him from beating on me today? Absolutely not. I've been on the bike less than ten times this year, no more than 36 miles at a time. He wailed on me for 65 miles and two decent climbs.

Link Posted: 7/4/2017 3:46:47 PM EDT
[#21]
3:28 ride time
50.3 miles

I hurt, but by God I did it!
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 6:08:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Ever have one of those group rides where everyone is a little faster than you...so you get an epic workout just to keep up

46 miles of rock and roll
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 9:34:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 9:13:40 PM EDT
[#24]
49 miler in the morning ..taking a buttload of skratchlab and gel...no bonking and no cramping..hoping to beat last year's time
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 10:56:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
49 miler in the morning ..taking a buttload of skratchlab and gel...no bonking and no cramping..hoping to beat last year's time
View Quote
Kick ass!
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 5:10:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Kick ass!
View Quote
decent ride..49mi of hills in 2:56..I was flat as a pancake at the start but about 30min in I was hopped on gels and caffeine and found my rhythm
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 5:59:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
decent ride..49mi of hills in 2:56..I was flat as a pancake at the start but about 30min in I was hopped on gels and caffeine and found my rhythm
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Kick ass!
Nice!

I went out to get in a couple laps on the mtb, but my body had other plans.

Still managed to get in one before the rains came, but it's obvious that I haven't been riding as my skills are not what they once were.  Got to work on that as I have already committed to a 6 hour duo race next spring.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 11:08:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Haven't been on my bike in a few weeks. 

Been thinking I need a flat bar road bikish ride so I can get some time on the road.  Anyone ridden any of the Bikes Direct flat bar road bikes?  Building/adjusting a bike once it arrives isn't an issue. 
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 3:24:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Had a 60 year old gentleman on our Sunday group ride crash about 500 yards ahead of me at 25mph smack his helmet on the street and got knocked out for about two minutes.

We all pulled over, called 911, and had to keep him from riding off on his bike-he was on an endless loop of asking what happened, being astounded he'd crashed, and kept asking the same thing a minute later.

His helmet was cracked all the way through-would have probably been DOA or a vegetable if he hadn't had one on instead of taking a VFD ambulance ride to the nearest hospital.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 11:02:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Hello all. I'm relatively new to cycling, but am loving the hell out of it. I have joined the Strava ARFCOM Club and am enjoying it. Been riding like mad.

I am currently in the market for a trunk mounted bike rack for my sedan that won't break my wallet. I want it to be able to carry 2 full size bikes, and it has to mount to my trunk (no hitch or roof rack). Any recommendations from the hive?

On a related note, I have been doing some research online and stumbled across this video. Which one of you owns this car covered in EGAs and BFLs?

Link Posted: 7/20/2017 1:23:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Went out in the Texas heat the last two days for some short road rides.  11mi, and 15mi.  Just trying to get back in the groove and find some routes to ride up here.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 2:49:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Hello all. I'm relatively new to cycling, but am loving the hell out of it. I have joined the Strava ARFCOM Club and am enjoying it. Been riding like mad.

I am currently in the market for a trunk mounted bike rack for my sedan that won't break my wallet. I want it to be able to carry 2 full size bikes, and it has to mount to my trunk (no hitch or roof rack). Any recommendations from the hive?

On a related note, I have been doing some research online and stumbled across this video. Which one of you owns this car covered in EGAs and BFLs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms-JTxU1Wb8
View Quote
Holy crap..what's screen name?
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 11:05:00 AM EDT
[#33]
30.6 miles at 17.2mph/avg - fantastic warm weather of 75-80ish and humid. Loved it.

First ride on all 28C tires. Bike *seemed* to be more comfortable but don't know if that is perception or not.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 12:03:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
30.6 miles at 17.2mph/avg - fantastic warm weather of 75-80ish and humid. Loved it.

First ride on all 28C tires. Bike *seemed* to be more comfortable but don't know if that is perception or not.
View Quote
Nice....hard to find a time when its not in the high 90s...having to get up earlier and earlier
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 2:02:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
I've been thinking about getting wider tires next replacement. So much rough pavement around here. What size were you riding before?
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 2:13:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I've been thinking about getting wider tires next replacement. So much rough pavement around here. What size were you riding before?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

25C so it's not like a major jump up.

I tend to run 110PSI in the 25s. Did 100PSI rear/95PSI front on the 28C.

I really don't know what I don't know but it did *seem* more better and I purposely rode broken up/bump roads.

Also, my Garmin Edge 520 went into some sort of weird pacer mode after I hit someone else's segment. I couldn't get it to go away and was stuck with some sort of on-screen display of two bikes and their time difference Couldn't figure it out and didn't want to accidentally erase my ride so just "unplugged" from looking at data and went on feel. Crazy!
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 8:49:06 PM EDT
[#37]

This is weird.

Mounted a 28C tire and tube on a brand new RS11 wheel. When I hang the bike on my home-brew wall rack, with the wheels off the ground and able to free-spin, I like the presta valves to be at the bottom of the wheel (6'oclock position) cause I'm weird like that.

Oddly, after I manually move the wheel to have the valve at the 6'oclock position, the wheel will spin under it's own power so the valve is in the 10'oclock.

Now I'm having visions of something being inside the wheel/tube/tire combo lurking and ready to explode in the midst of an upcomming 63 mile group ride. I'm about to take the tire/tube off and check cause it's driving me nuts.

My 25c tire, mounted on a different RS11 wheel doesn't move at all once you set it into position.

Any other obvious causes I could be missing?

ETA: That's an old picture before I flipped the stem over and lowered it a few spacers. Dust covers are off the valves too.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 4:50:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Running 28c gatorskins here due to road quality...would've bought 32c gatorskins if they had been on sale.  Got 16mi in yesterday before the heat got brutal.  Just getting back into the swing of riding, and learning the roads around here.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 5:24:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/139707/89843.JPG

This is weird.

Mounted a 28C tire and tube on a brand new RS11 wheel. When I hang the bike on my home-brew wall rack, with the wheels off the ground and able to free-spin, I like the presta valves to be at the bottom of the wheel (6'oclock position) cause I'm weird like that.

Oddly, after I manually move the wheel to have the valve at the 6'oclock position, the wheel will spin under it's own power so the valve is in the 10'oclock.

Now I'm having visions of something being inside the wheel/tube/tire combo lurking and ready to explode in the midst of an upcomming 63 mile group ride. I'm about to take the tire/tube off and check cause it's driving me nuts.

My 25c tire, mounted on a different RS11 wheel doesn't move at all once you set it into position.

ETA: That's an old picture before I flipped the stem over and lowered it a few spacers. Dust covers are off the valves too.
View Quote
So when the valve is at 10o'clock can you see anything weird at the 6 o'clock?
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 6:12:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 6:19:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/139707/89843.JPG

This is weird.

Nothing obvious no.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 9:35:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Nothing obvious no.
View Quote
Brand new tires?

If so, maybe irregulaities in the mold/flashing?

I can't think of anything nefarious indicated by that, but if it bothers you, which I get it, dismount, replace the tube, and remount.  It'll be good flat practice.

Mark the tire itself where it settles at 6 o'clock to see if it settles there again.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 8:51:07 AM EDT
[#44]
Got another 20mi in on Wed, the 26th.  Lots of dogs on that route, and not-so-comfy chipseal.  Was going to ride this morning, but it's been raining.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 11:54:08 AM EDT
[#45]
Got out for a 2 hour ride this morning.

1:58:53 ride time
32.37 miles
16.34 average

Set a PR on a section of road trying to catch up to a lady.  She dusted me pretty badly.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 5:44:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

32.37 miles
16.34 average

Set a PR on a section of road trying to catch up to a lady.  She dusted me pretty badly.
View Quote
Look on the bright side...If she was in that good of shape the view was probably pretty good from your perspective
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 7:44:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Spellbound (Brewery) Century
Bikes + Beer
We didn't make it to 100 miles because there was beer at mile 99.8  

https://www.strava.com/activities/1107538410
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 8:12:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Look on the bright side...If she was in that good of shape the view was probably pretty good from your perspective
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

32.37 miles
16.34 average

Never got close enough to find out.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 10:34:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Spellbound (Brewery) Century
Bikes + Beer
We didn't make it to 100 miles because there was beer at mile 99.8  

https://www.strava.com/activities/1107538410
View Quote
Nicely done! I think I would have rode around the block to get that final .2 though
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 4:27:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Got out on the mtb today.

Legs were shot from yesterday, and my skills are shot from not really being on trails for almost a year.

Damn near lost my 2nd water bottle, too, so I had to do most of a second lap to find it.  If it had been one of me cheapies I wouldn't have cared, but this was a Camelbak from the shop I used to ride for that is now out of business.
Page / 55
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top