Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 55
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 9:02:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
60mi ride this Saturday...Weatherman says rain in the morning..I'm going to ride unless they call it off. (Already paid)  I don't want to spend a ton on rain gear.  Anyone have any ideas on how to stay dry for cheap and still stay somewhat aero?
View Quote
Do you have a vest, beanie & light wool socks? I have a cycling specific rain jacket but I never wear it. I don't typically ride in the rain but a cycling vest keeps the torso warm & dry and a beanie keeps the head warm even when wet. Light wool socks keep the feet warm when wet and are fine if it doesn't rain. Optional arm warmers.

If you don't have any of that you can wear a traditional wind breaker. A regular wind breaker will ride up your arms and give you plumbers crack when on a bike. Most don't vent the sweat so you can still end up drenched.

My clothing strategy has been to buy one good piece of cycling specific clothing every year. On top of that I buy a new set of bibs every year and rotate an old one to the trash.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 10:55:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
60mi ride this Saturday...Weatherman says rain in the morning..I'm going to ride unless they call it off. (Already paid)  I don't want to spend a ton on rain gear.  Anyone have any ideas on how to stay dry for cheap and still stay somewhat aero?
View Quote
Get one of those seatpost/saddle mounted fenders-they really reduce the misery of riding in the rain.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 8:38:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I almost became a cock slayer yesterday, but I blew it.  
Was coming into a corner trying to set a p.r. on a segment, and a rooster decided to try to strut out into my line.

I did end up setting a p.r. and tied for 9th overall.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 6:57:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I almost became a cock slayer yesterday, but I blew it.  
Was coming into a corner trying to set a p.r. on a segment, and a rooster decided to try to strut out into my line.

I did end up setting a p.r. and tied for 9th overall.
View Quote
Congrats ...I have this 2 mile segment I've been working on for 2 years south of my house...I'm about 30 secs still from the KOM which was set by a CAT 1 riding in a pack.(it was set during a yearly ride that goes by here)...Its going to take a lot of RedBull and one hell of a tailwind for me to get that one !
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 7:00:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Do you have a vest, beanie & light wool socks? I have a cycling specific rain jacket but I never wear it. I don't typically ride in the rain but a cycling vest keeps the torso warm & dry and a beanie keeps the head warm even when wet. Light wool socks keep the feet warm when wet and are fine if it doesn't rain. Optional arm warmers.

If you don't have any of that you can wear a traditional wind breaker. A regular wind breaker will ride up your arms and give you plumbers crack when on a bike. Most don't vent the sweat so you can still end up drenched.

My clothing strategy has been to buy one good piece of cycling specific clothing every year. On top of that I buy a new set of bibs every year and rotate an old one to the trash.
View Quote
I think I'll have a windbreak ready to go just in case....Right now there's an 80% of rain at start time
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 8:28:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Congrats ...I have this 2 mile segment I've been working on for 2 years south of my house...I'm about 30 secs still from the KOM which was set by a CAT 1 riding in a pack.(it was set during a yearly ride that goes by here)...Its going to take a lot of RedBull and one hell of a tailwind for me to get that one !
View Quote
I wasn't expecting to be anywhere near the top 10.  

Signed up for my first metric tomorrow.  Max so far has been around 43 or so miles.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 4:01:23 PM EDT
[#7]
67.8 mile "metric".  

https://www.strava.com/activities/1019436824/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-US&v=1496514417

Hit a crow with the truck in the way there.  Hung in a group of about 5-6 people and averaged around 19-20 MPH for a while.
Riding buddy started getting tired around mile 40.  Stayed with him until the last few miles.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 5:40:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Haven't been able to ride much this year between work, family, work, rain, work, and burnout from the last couple of years.

Found out my LBS closed this week.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 7:32:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Haven't been able to ride much this year between work, family, work, rain, work, and burnout from the last couple of years.

View Quote
Will there be an auction?
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 7:39:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Did a 60mi ride today...the rain I predicted held off until later...I had a decent ride (stayed with lead pack)until I started cramping at mi 25...I stopped at every rest stop ate and drank..Cramps got worse until I unclipped at an intersection and then i couldnt bend my legs enough to get my feet back in...finished but my time stank
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 8:13:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do believe he held a sale this past week, and Friday was his last day with the doors open.  He was a Giant dealer, and I think their new approach to selling direct hurt him bad.

That, and people picking his brain for knowledge and then buying the parts online.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 8:15:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Did a 60mi ride today...the rain I predicted held off until later...I had a decent ride (stayed with lead pack)until I started cramping at mi 25...I stopped at every rest stop ate and drank..Cramps got worse until I unclipped at an intersection and then i couldnt bend my legs enough to get my feet back in...finished but my time stank
View Quote
Have you tried mustard?  I use it on my 6hr races and it seems to work to keep the cramps at bay.

Be ready to chase it with a gel pack or some sports drink, though.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 5:49:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Have you tried mustard?  I use it on my 6hr races and it seems to work to keep the cramps at bay.

View Quote
So you carry around a regular yellow mustard packet, or powder, or ... ???
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 7:56:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I ask for extra mustard packets at the fast food joints and carry those with me.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 8:58:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Haven't tried mustard but tried pickle juice a year ago and had some luck with it.   Talked to my doc (he put me on potassium supplements awhile back) he said my recent blood/urine looked good but double up on the potassium supplements before a big ride and start taking magnesium oxide every day
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 9:22:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Haven't tried mustard but tried pickle juice a year ago and had some luck with it.   Talked to my doc (he put me on potassium supplements awhile back) he said my recent blood/urine looked good but double up on the potassium supplements before a big ride and start taking magnesium oxide every day
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tried the pickle juice at one of my first 6 hour races, and it did nothing.  I kept reading through a bunch of websites and blogs, and someone mentioned the mustard packets.  First time I used one while cramping, I felt the cramp immediately let go.

I do have to make sure not to push too hard or the cramp will come back, but one packet with a gel keeps them at bay.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 10:03:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Some photos from the ride.

Link Posted: 6/8/2017 1:29:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Scored some new rubbers for my baby - went Continental Gatorskin. 

The Bontrager slicks I had on there got punctures practically every ride so I hope that problem is solved. 

~40 mile ride on Saturday, a birthday bike bar crawl scheduled with lots of surface road sections, this should be a good test. 

Also, holy moly does that rubber have a strong smell. I put the new tires on and stored the bike in our oversized two car garage. Walked into it this morning and all I could smell were the tires. 
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 8:17:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Hey riders, glad to find a thread on cycling. Anyone in the Southwest Virginia area? Not getting to ride nearly as much as I would like to this year but things should settle down soon. I ride road exclusively but that's mainly because I don't own a mountain bike and time is too precious to split between the two!
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 1:02:41 PM EDT
[#20]
95 degrees, 35mph winds, and no clouds...did 34 miles on Saturday hopping between bars. 

Only fell over once. 
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 3:07:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Is the Arfcom Strava group still active?  I'm trying to get back into cycling a few times per week--sent a request to join (initials BM) for whoever is in charge.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 3:14:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Is the Arfcom Strava group still active?  I'm trying to get back into cycling a few times per week--sent a request to join (initials BM) for whoever is in charge.
View Quote
Black background, white BFL is the active group - I made it. We are still active! 
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 3:15:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
Haha, there are two Arfcom Strava groups. I've been trying to figure out which one is active and which one isn't for over a year now!
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 3:19:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Haha, there are two Arfcom Strava groups. I've been trying to figure out which one is active and which one isn't for over a year now!
View Quote
The one that says it's active! Duh! 

The ALL WHITE BFL group is the one you want. Not the Black background, black BFL with white outline. 
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 3:20:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Black background, white BFL is the active group - I made it. We are still active! 
View Quote
Found it!  Just joined
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 3:21:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
The one with the black background and white logo or the one with the black background and white logo?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 3:24:55 PM EDT
[#27]
OMGITSPINS 

There's the link to the active Arfcom account! 
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 3:27:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
OMGITSPINS 

There's the link to the active Arfcom account! 
View Quote
Got it now!

Hey, in true Arfcom spirit I got both
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 1:57:43 PM EDT
[#29]
So much fitness lost.

1:52 ride time
28 miles
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 2:07:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
So much fitness lost.

28 miles
View Quote
don't feel bad ...last wed:

29.7mi
Distance

1:56:48
Moving Time

I blamed it on the 1400ft of climbing and the 20mph wind..I'll do better next week
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 3:20:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Hey riders, glad to find a thread on cycling. Anyone in the Southwest Virginia area? Not getting to ride nearly as much as I would like to this year but things should settle down soon. I ride road exclusively but that's mainly because I don't own a mountain bike and time is too precious to split between the two!
View Quote
Appomattox Co. here. Hit me up if you ever get out this way.  I've ridden the Wilderness Ride, Creeper Trail and the Burkes Garden Century in your neighborhood, great cycling in SWVA.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 3:59:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

29.7mi
Distance

Moving Time

I blamed it on the 1400ft of climbing and the 20mph wind..I'll do better next week
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So much fitness lost.

28 miles

29.7mi
Distance

Moving Time

According to Cyclemeter, I only had 842ft of climbing.

Felt like a lot more.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 7:56:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Appomattox Co. here. Hit me up if you ever get out this way.  I've ridden the Wilderness Ride, Creeper Trail and the Burkes Garden Century in your neighborhood, great cycling in SWVA.
View Quote
Hey, nice to meet you! I've done the Burkes Garden ride and always out of town during the Wilderness ride, but I've wanted to do it. Have any good rides in your area?

Did a short 31 miles today, a few hard downpours included. Am I the only one that really enjoys getting caught in the rain during a ride?
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 7:24:08 AM EDT
[#34]
Sweet, just joined. Got a bike ~3 weeks ago and have been riding like mad!
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 8:11:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Have any good rides in your area?
View Quote
Nice area here, rolling hills to keep you interested but not enough to kill you. If you like climbing, Storming of Thunder Ridge is a nearby challenge. 13-mile climb on the Blue Ridge Parkway.    

High Bridge Trail State Park is a 32-mile trail ride. I use it as a conduit to link my road rides together. It really opens up a lot of routes that spur off the trail.

Link Posted: 6/19/2017 9:03:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Nice area here, rolling hills to keep you interested but not enough to kill you. If you like climbing, Storming of Thunder Ridge is a nearby challenge. 13-mile climb on the Blue Ridge Parkway.    

High Bridge Trail State Park is a 32-mile trail ride. I use it as a conduit to link my road rides together. It really opens up a lot of routes that spur off the trail.

http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state-parks/image/data/hb-image-01.jpg
View Quote
That looks fantastic. I'm decently close to the parkway and surrounded by Blue Ridge mountains. Everywhere is a climb. Sometimes I wonder what it's like to ride miles and miles of flat terrain.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 9:29:44 AM EDT
[#37]
I'm super bummed I used to live down in Hattiesburg, MS and there was a ~40 mile paved trail (Longleaf Trace) which I used to run on quite frequently, but as such I only got to explore about the first 10 miles of it.  Wasn't into cycling back then, but wish I was because it was beautiful and shaded.  Also have some family up near Pittsburgh and there is a great 100 mile trail that supposedly runs all the way to DC.  Of course I'll never have a bike up there either so I won't get to explore nearly as much as I'd like.

Instead here in east TX I get county highways and backroads where I get buzzed by semi's and bro-dozers and careless drivers
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 5:41:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Instead here in east TX I get county highways and backroads where I get buzzed by semi's and bro-dozers and careless drivers
View Quote
By chance are you coming up to Paris for the Tour de Paris on the 15th?  It's a good ride.  Lots of distance options, especially with the heat.  Well supported too.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 5:59:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
By chance are you coming up to Paris for the Tour de Paris on the 15th?  It's a good ride.  Lots of distance options, especially with the heat.  Well supported too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am not--to be honest I didn't know about it.  I'm just getting back into cycling after quite a few months off and didn't take it as seriously back then as I am now.  However, I am supposed to be in Dallas either that weekend or the one before it so I'm not sure it would have worked out anyway

I will definitely keep it in mind for next year though!
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:05:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Had a great 40mi ride yesterday...something real funny happened. Roadrunner came out of the grass on a 2-lane road.  Instead of ducking back the tall grass in like most animals do this one took off down the double yellow centerline ...Yeah I chased it..how could I not??   After a few seconds it left the road and hopped back into the grass.  I saw my whole childhood flash before my eyes for those few seconds.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:09:46 PM EDT
[#41]
I'll make this a separate post...Saw a deal on a Power meter tonight on Ebay...A Stages.

Anyone here use a power meter? What do you think?
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:04:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Don't use a power meter, but hear they are one of the most beneficial purchases for serious targeted training.  I want one bad, but if I had a grand to blow I'd put it toward deep section wheels because I'm a triathlon poser and wheels are neat.

Actually let's get real if I had a grand to blow on something I'd probably just have more guns

In other news we had a crappy storm blow through here that was supposed to be awful, but instead has been raining just enough to cancel the local TT for this morning and not let me get out and ride at all.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:26:17 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm right on verge of getting into the power meter game but I want better wheels first. I've been eye balling some new pair of $500 pedals from Watteam POWERBEAT that look interesting.

In other news, rented a bike and rode in a totally new city. Good news: rode in a totally new city, saw new things, was on a bike. Bad news: aluminum rental road bikes with Tiagra 8 speed components + bike path with road crossings every 3 feet and tons of slow moving traffic. Was a good day for just a casual ride and spin the legs after a long week. Still felt the engines wanting to push, however. That said, 28 miles so....uh....it's something.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 7:52:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I'll make this a separate post...Saw a deal on a Power meter tonight on Ebay...A Stages.

View Quote
Used a Stages power meter for a long time. I think I had one of the first ones for SRAM GPX cranks. Stages customer service is unbelievably helpful, too.  A power meter can be very beneficial, if you use it properly. They can honestly make you a lot faster than you are now, and a lot stronger, as well.

I was shocked when I first got it, and saw how low my FTP was. Did a second test, and yup I was slow/weak!! However, after a month or two of using it along with a plan, I was way faster, and had a lot more power, as well. Really helped when climbing, as I could see when I was slacking, and being lazy!!

If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 8:23:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Used a Stages power meter for a long time. I think I had one of the first ones for SRAM GPX cranks. Stages customer service is unbelievably helpful, too.  A power meter can be very beneficial, if you use it properly. They can honestly make you a lot faster than you are now, and a lot stronger, as well.

I was shocked when I first got it, and saw how low my FTP was. Did a second test, and yup I was slow/weak!! However, after a month or two of using it along with a plan, I was way faster, and had a lot more power, as well. Really helped when climbing, as I could see when I was slacking, and being lazy!!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks ...I went ahead and got it $410 used. Expecting it by the end of the week.I'll do some research on what plan I need to go with. I've had that "Training and Racing with a Power Meter" book for awhile. I guess I better go ahead and finish it.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 8:57:19 PM EDT
[#46]
A guy I ride with started training with a power meter last year and he has really made improvements with it. He's so technical and analytical now with his riding. It's made me want one but my riding time is so unpredictable that I think it would not be worth spending the money for one. I also have several other things that would probably be better served, like a set of lightweight climbing wheels.

Which brings me to asking you guys a question as well.

If you had a set of nice carbon wheels and did not race, triathlon, ride with the fast group, etc., would you use those wheels full time?
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 11:41:02 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Thanks ...I went ahead and got it $410 used. Expecting it by the end of the week.I'll do some research on what plan I need to go with. I've had that "Training and Racing with a Power Meter" book for awhile. I guess I better go ahead and finish it.
View Quote
Get your FTP, and it's easy from there on out. I combined a couple of training plans I found on the web, to get me where I wanted. I think you'll really enjoy it.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 11:41:58 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
A guy I ride with started training with a power meter last year and he has really made improvements with it. He's so technical and analytical now with his riding. It's made me want one but my riding time is so unpredictable that I think it would not be worth spending the money for one. I also have several other things that would probably be better served, like a set of lightweight climbing wheels.

Which brings me to asking you guys a question as well.

If you had a set of nice carbon wheels and did not race, triathlon, ride with the fast group, etc., would you use those wheels full time?
View Quote

I rode a set of carbon Reynolds as every day wheels for ~3000 miles, with no problems at all.

Edited to add, I live in AZ, and a ride in the rain is never gonna happen for me. So, I didn't need to worry about trashing my carbon wheels. I have a set of Mavic Cosmics for that!!
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 11:59:05 AM EDT
[#49]
Got another 36 more miles in on the rental bike (Bianchi VIA NIRONE 7). Found a much better bike path with far less traffic and road crossings. That said, still mega trashy path with tons of debris and wheel-crushing heaved up sections. It's like they paved right over tree roots

That said, got to spin more and pushed the jalopy up to a far higher avg speed than yesterday, which felt great. With a way better group set and cassette plus 28c tires it would actually be an interesting spare/rainy day/gravel/hill training bike.

Ultimately, however, it was time on a bike in a new part of the world which made it fun.

Can't wait to get back to my home roads and gear, however.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 2:22:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I rode a set of carbon Reynolds as every day wheels for ~3000 miles, with no problems at all.

Edited to add, I live in AZ, and a ride in the rain is never gonna happen for me. So, I didn't need to worry about trashing my carbon wheels. I have a set of Mavic Cosmics for that!!
View Quote
Rain happens quite often and the bike and I have been soaked several times lately. The wheels are Zipp 404 Firecrest and came on the bike when I bought it secondhand. I do have a set of Reynolds Solitude on my backup bike but I'd have to get an 11spd hub to adapt them and then I'd have no wheels for the backup.

On the other hand, I love the Zipp wheels and I want to ride the crap out of them.
Page / 55
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top