Page / 55
Link Posted: 5/10/2013 8:11:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/10/2013 11:14:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
How bout Gate's Pass tomorrow?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

I work this weekend,actually I work the next few weekends that I know of so far. Plus I am still just starting out, I think you and Gates Pass would kill me lol
Link Posted: 5/11/2013 2:20:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, back on the bike today!! I caught some stomach bug that was going around PHX.  Did a ~32 mile ride with a small group of faster riders. Felt ok, but I could tell I was sick, as my heart rate would skyrocket, with the slightest effort. Oh well, still rode faster, and harder than I could of by myself!! Did pretty good on the climbs, kept up with the leaders for the most part, and hung in a 25.5 mph paceline, for 5 miles back to the parking lot.
Link Posted: 5/11/2013 3:43:33 PM EDT
[#4]
No rain, windy as balls and HOT!!

http://app.strava.com/activities/53649200

Link Posted: 5/11/2013 4:49:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Spent a decent part of this afternoon cleaning my mtb and going over it in preparation for the 24hr race in 2 weeks.

Found a broken tooth on my large chainring.

LBS is ordering a new one on Monday.  Thinking about doing my middle ring, too.
Link Posted: 5/11/2013 11:01:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Spent a decent part of this afternoon cleaning my mtb and going over it in preparation for the 24hr race in 2 weeks.

Might as well do 'em both, if you're gonna tear in to it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2013 12:54:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Today.....my commute route when I actually commute (need to be rolling by about 0430 if I do)....and a little bit extra for the fun of it

Strava
Link Posted: 5/12/2013 7:04:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Might as well do 'em both, if you're gonna tear in to it.

I'm going to stop in on Monday and talk to them about upgrading the rings.
Link Posted: 5/12/2013 2:00:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Did another group ride today. 33.6 miles, mostly flat, averaged 18 mph. Not bad, for a slow start. We split in to two groups half way, and things got fun. I'm finally getting back in shape!!
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 4:14:31 PM EDT
[#10]
When is it ok to shave my legs again lol

And no, I haven't, yet...

Oh, I did some one legged pedaling to work on my pedal mechanics and that got tough on the last set... I don't remember them being hard but I guess I was probably a little more practiced at the time too...
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 5:32:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Replaced the rings and got a new rear tire, extra battery for my light, and some more gels while I was there.  The shop owner also tossed me one of their shop jerseys at no charge.

Hopefully will get the chance to get out tomorrow am and hit the trails.
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 6:36:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Anyone want some Lance Armstrong books lol?

LA Performance Program, New for $1.95 or Used for $0.01 This is actually an OK book to use as a reference if you like CTS methods. The bullshit about "What Lance Does" was dumb before and even more so now lol.

It's Not About the Bike, New for $1.97 and Used for $0.01

Every Second Counts, New for $1.57 and Used for $0.01

COmeback 2.0, New for $1.31 and Used for $1.28 I didn't know this but he got paid 3 million for an appearance at the Tour Down Under when he started his 'Come Back'...

We Might as Well Win, New for $0.01 Yeah, 8 TDF's and all 8 thrown out on doping charges yet Johan is taking his case to the CAS, yeah, good luck

Rasing Lance Raising Me, New $0.87 Even his mom's book is in the shitter...

I thought about posting this in GD but I figured I wouldn't get any bite anymore
Link Posted: 5/15/2013 9:28:57 PM EDT
[#13]
When is the Az group ride planned?
Link Posted: 5/16/2013 6:27:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

AGW and Billy are in Tucson. I'm out in the east valley of Phoenix. Where could we all meet?
Link Posted: 5/16/2013 8:10:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

AGW and Billy are in Tucson. I'm out in the east valley of Phoenix. Where could we all meet?

I also have a horrible schedule so my availability is limited, as is my fitness...
Link Posted: 5/16/2013 8:25:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/16/2013 8:32:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I also have a horrible schedule so my availability is limited, as is my fitness...

It's too close to summer, anyways. Maybe in the fall we could plan a AZ get together?
Link Posted: 5/16/2013 8:34:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'd post the strava data but I'm on my cell phone right now.  Just over 45 miles with the Thursday morning world champions.  Hot as hell by 0900, and almost a KOM on a 7 mile climb.

Nice!! Something my fat ass will never see!! Maybe a sprint, but never a climb!!
Link Posted: 5/16/2013 8:37:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/16/2013 8:39:28 PM EDT
[#20]
So some of the road I ride down needs some repairs... Some very bad cracks in the road that really give you thump if you ride over it. Even bunny hopping, while smoother, I don't like to with my weight being over 200lbs still. The other option is the far right next to the curb with cobble-esque pavement...

So for whatever reason I thought to take a look at my chainstays and seat tube... Hairline cracks in the chainstays, on the outside and inside. Straight lines, all uniform. Seat tube has one small one on the left side. So I researched it and did the coin test and already had the assumption that it was from the lugs. I talked with the Trek guys on the email, he figured it was bond cracks at the lugs but wanted me to take it to the shop to make sure.

Took it in and luckily the Trek rep was in and confirmed what I thought. Was just cosmetic cracks in the paint/clear coat at the lugs. They also pointed out a few more on the down tube. I had seen them long ago but thought they were actually lines from decals...

I'll keep an eye on them but happy to have my suspicions confirmed.

I feel like I need a spare set of wheels now though. Mine are fairly trued but I will have to tighten them up some and I'm not very good at it...
Link Posted: 5/16/2013 8:42:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's too close to summer, anyways. Maybe in the fall we could plan a AZ get together?

How bout El Tour? You're there anyway and BillDub can build his base between now and then.  

I could be down for that.
Link Posted: 5/16/2013 8:54:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How bout El Tour? You're there anyway and BillDub can build his base between now and then.  

I'm for sure riding in the Tucson Tour this year. I think I'll be sponsored by the same dentists office, that covered us for the Tour De Mesa. Not sure which distance I'm riding, though.
Link Posted: 5/16/2013 8:57:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Ok guys, lets talk road snacks.  Any favorite gels/bars/goo you like/hate?
Link Posted: 5/16/2013 9:09:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

What my old routine was, which I'm following again. First bottle is water, every bottle after that is Gatorade. I take no food until I go over 2 hours. Then it's a combo of cliff bars and Gu. I LOVE vanilla bean GU and Original Gu.

Recovery is 20-34oz of Gatorade with added sea salt. I'm just adding a pinch right now because I don't have a servings guide for the sea salt I have. Once I get one I'll do the math to make each 12oz serving be around 1g of sodium iirc. I used to have a formula for it. Back in '05 Gatorade came out with a recovery version of their drink that had more sodium and I was too poor to buy it straight up so I made my own. Now I have to figure it out again.

I also used to make my own recovery bars. Right now I chomp on a cliff bar. Back then it was like a super healthy rice crispy treat lol. Flaxseed oil and all kinds of stuff...

That's about all I got
Link Posted: 5/16/2013 9:11:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I go to .99 cent store and they sometimes have the powerbars for .79. I like the banana flavored ones. Gels are messy as hell unless you get the flask. I only drink h2o as any of the sweetened sports drinks give me terrible belly cramps.

I like the hammer gels in various flavors. Sometimes I will just make two pb and j sandwiches for our sat rides that average 45 to 60 miles.

Link Posted: 5/16/2013 9:12:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

same here even though I do like the heat.

I could be down for that.

Link Posted: 5/16/2013 9:16:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I go to .99 cent store and they sometimes have the powerbars for .79. I like the banana flavored ones. Gels are messy as hell unless you get the flask. I only drink h2o as any of the sweetened sports drinks give me terrible belly cramps.

I like the hammer gels in various flavors. Sometimes I will just make two pb and j sandwiches for our sat rides that average 45 to 60 miles.

The PBJ sandwiches is a brilliant idea.  Delicious and cheap.  Any ride over about 75 minutes for me I have to have something to eat or I have energy issues.  For recovery I've been drinking chocolate milk.  It has worked great so far.

PBJ!!
Link Posted: 5/16/2013 9:35:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The PBJ sandwiches is a brilliant idea.  Delicious and cheap.  Any ride over about 75 minutes for me I have to have something to eat or I have energy issues.  For recovery I've been drinking chocolate milk.  It has worked great so far.

PBJ!!

Tortillia with peanut butter and honey, roll up, pack in foil. Ham and cream cheese is very euro iirc...

Squeezer flask with straight honey is good too if you can handle the honey...

If I'm out for 2 hours it's just a bottle of water and a bottle of Gatorade. But if I'm out 3 or more hours then I start eating solid food every hour at the 2 hour mark.
Link Posted: 5/16/2013 9:40:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/16/2013 9:44:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

PBJ!!

Tortillia with peanut butter and honey, roll up, pack in foil. Ham and cream cheese is very euro iirc...

Squeezer flask with straight honey is good too if you can handle the honey...

If I'm out for 2 hours it's just a bottle of water and a bottle of Gatorade. But if I'm out 3 or more hours then I start eating solid food every hour at the 2 hour mark.

Awesome info.  Sometimes I take shots out of the honey bear already.  Don't tell my wife.  
Link Posted: 5/16/2013 9:48:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/16/2013 10:12:12 PM EDT
[#32]
AGW, yeah they said it was ok to ride. I researched it a lot before hand and their is actually very little on the web about it. Somethings I found out in my studies: carbon fiber almost never cracks in a straight line. Typically jagged and splintering when bad, due to the cross layering. Carbon is repairable. Carbon fiber hides damage so after a crash you need it inspected. Small hairline cracks are common around lug areas, the carbon fiber flexes while the lug of course stays ridged. So these cracks happen around the lugs areas and cause the paint/clear coat to crack. This is especially so for 2004 Trek carbon fiber bikes. So much so that a dealer on a site back in 2006 explained exactly that and that it was so prevalent that Trek sent out a memo to the dealers. I guess the Trek 5900's were a big one at the time. If the crack is not around a lug area you really need it looked it.

The coin test is basically a test in which you thump it with a quarter and are listening for a good 'click' sound with it. A 'thud' would be damage. Mine passed the coin test at home and again when the shop did it with the Trek rep there. The mech came out and explained everything I had already researched so I was happy with that.

Plus I remember back in one of those TDF's that Armstrong didn't win. He crashed and his Madone took a hit on the drive side chainstay and it actually snapped it. He finished the climb and I even wantto say he won? Either way all he had trouble with was shifting. His chain kept jumping cogs iirc.

While it freaked me out I'll keep an eye on them. In the mean time I still just need to lose more weight...
Link Posted: 5/17/2013 8:05:03 AM EDT
[#33]
I really like the Hammer Apple gel.  Not so much their banana flavor.

On the road, I will take one or two with me, and use them if I feel like I am bonking after being out over an hour.  On the mtb, I will use one after about an hour or so depending on how much longer I plan on riding.

24hr race next weekend!!!!
Link Posted: 5/17/2013 9:21:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I'm using the Clif Gel Bloks, with the caffeine for my energy. I don't like the gels too much, but will use 'em if I need instant energy. The Bloks take a few to start working.

I'm using the Honey Stinger waffles for food. I'm gonna make some of the Skratch Labs rice cakes this weekend. The blueberry ones look pretty good!
Link Posted: 5/17/2013 11:20:25 AM EDT
[#35]
http://firstendurance.com/

Full disclaimer, I am sponsored by them.

I am primary a triathlete(half/full IM distance) so my nutrition needs are different than a cyclist, I eat A LOT when riding to keep my carbohydrate store as topped off as possible for the run. All I use are First Endurance products, although for the really long rides I mix carbo pro with the EFS drink. I also use their gels as a supplement to the carbopro/efs drink to give my self some variety. They are more liquid than GU's so they settle in my stomach better.

Anything under 2 hours I put a couple hundred calories in a bottle or put some gel's in a flask. When it gets into the 3-6 hour range I usually try to take in 350 calories an hour.

Link Posted: 5/17/2013 11:13:59 PM EDT
[#36]
So looks likes I'm gonna ride El Tour with my FIL... My wife told me today that he wanted to do a FIL/SIL thing to get closer. I'm kind of surprised actually. We are pals enough but with my schedule I hardly ever see him. Great guy, always liked him.
Link Posted: 5/18/2013 11:51:04 AM EDT
[#37]
Weekly total:
Total time: 6:34.50
MIles: 51.53
Trainer TIme: 3:00

Weight: 204.4lbs

Yearly since starting:
Total Time: 15:43.50
Miles: 153.74
Trainer Time: 4:50

So I while I was on the trainer last night I noticed a how much flex I had in the BB area, I remember that from before when ever I got on a trainer. It creaks a lot as well, I remember that from before too. While out riding this morning I looked and of course there is very little flex as the bike can move with it as it's not strapped into a trainer. So while carbon fiber flexes the clear coat does not and after so many years that clear coat has become less flexible as well so I got those surface cracks. Not very worried about it but something that is on my radar.

Oh, and from my last post I mentioned my FIL wanting to ride El Tour. My wife comes in here just a minute ago and asks me about my other bike hanging up. What the difference was, I was like, it's my old TT bike. Then she asked if I could sell it to my FIL... He wants to be a Cat 4 racer lol! I was like yeah, I could but I stripped it down and he would have to buy components to complete it. I'd do the work and he'd also have to buy wheels...

It would be a good starter bike but if he actually did line up in a RR then he would probably end up wanting something a little more high speed in short order... So well shall see.
Link Posted: 5/18/2013 12:05:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Seems like Armstrong is coming around

And good for him. It's looking like he is starting to become human again...
Link Posted: 5/18/2013 1:40:06 PM EDT
[#39]
So I'm gonna get a roller set up...

Don't like the flex the trainer causes. I've read conflicting reports from manufactures and cyclist. So whatever, I'll just get some rollers.
Link Posted: 5/18/2013 2:33:00 PM EDT
[#40]
I bought a set of aluminum rollers.  They are flat not concave so they are hard as hell to ride on.  If I had to do it again I would get concave rollers.  They are not a replacement for a trainer though.  You can't stand and pedal on them.  You will fly off.
Link Posted: 5/18/2013 2:45:06 PM EDT
[#41]
I've had rollers since the 90's. Always used the flat ones. I see they now have nicer ones, that won't let you fly off the side!!

I used to be able ride mine with no hands, eat, drink, whatever I wanted. I used 'em to get in shape for the Cactus Cup, back in '96 when I still lived in Oregon.

I bet I'd fly off those things, in about 2 seconds, now!! Maybe I'll drag 'em out, and try 'em?
Link Posted: 5/18/2013 3:02:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I bought a set of aluminum rollers.  They are flat not concave so they are hard as hell to ride on.  If I had to do it again I would get concave rollers.  They are not a replacement for a trainer though.  You can't stand and pedal on them.  You will fly off.

Who will fly off?

Link Posted: 5/18/2013 6:13:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who will fly off?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWZgznr1Aic&feature=youtu.be

I was waiting for him to go flying... let down lol

I got some rollers with flared ends and resistance built in.
Link Posted: 5/18/2013 6:49:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who will fly off?

Who is him?  That is a video self portrait.  I can also do no hands.
Link Posted: 5/18/2013 7:15:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who will fly off?

Rollers I have (Cyclops) specifically say to not to do standing riding.  You lifted off the saddle.  You are a better rider than me.  But are you saying that doing out of saddle sprint exercises or any other out of saddle riding other than lifting off while on rollers would be a safe thing to do?  I hope not.
Link Posted: 5/18/2013 8:03:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who will fly off?

Who is him?  That is a video self portrait.  I can also do no hands.

Oh, I figured it was a random youtube vid when I opened it so I figured it was one of those, "who will fly off", that guys, haha...

Link Posted: 5/18/2013 8:12:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who will fly off?

Rollers I have (Cyclops) specifically say to not to do standing riding.  You lifted off the saddle.  You are a better rider than me.  But are you saying that doing out of saddle sprint exercises or any other out of saddle riding other than lifting off while on rollers would be a safe thing to do?  I hope not.

Those rollers are useless for sprints in the saddle or out.  In a 53x11 at 100-110 rpm, they don't break 275W.  Absent a rock and roll trainer, I'll just stay in the saddle.
Link Posted: 5/18/2013 8:31:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who will fly off?

Those rollers are useless for sprints in the saddle or out.  In a 53x11 at 100-110 rpm, they don't break 275W.  Absent a rock and roll trainer, I'll just stay in the saddle.

The Kurts rock and roll trainer looks cool as hell!  But with a price tag to match.  
Link Posted: 5/18/2013 8:55:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Seems like Armstrong is coming around

And good for him. It's looking like he is starting to become human again...

Good read!
Link Posted: 5/18/2013 9:09:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

The Kurts rock and roll trainer looks cool as hell!  But with a price tag to match.  

Agree.  Sprinting is over rated, especially on the trainer.  It's an aerobic sport.  Focus on building FTP on the trainer.  Sprint when you can get outside.  I had a 5 second MMP at 1250W, but never cracked 1000 at the end of a crit.  Threshold and tactics >> big sprint.
Page / 55
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top