Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 55
Link Posted: 5/1/2013 5:47:27 PM EDT
[#1]
MHR: 67

I bought a new bike today, nothing fancy, a Trek FX 7.1.

Nice little commuter. Got it solely for putting around the neighborhood with my boys. It's just way too hard and not really safe to ride a road bike that slow with them. Need a tow-bar and a tag a long to bring the youngest along.

I did see this pedal-less bike at the shop today. Apparently it helps toddlers learn their balance before pedals. I'm tempted to get that for my youngest. But I guess I still need a tag a long to take him for now. Hard enough to keep an eye on one of them on a bike let a lone two!
Link Posted: 5/1/2013 8:28:01 PM EDT
[#2]
So I finally watched that Armstrong interview with Oprah. I was gonna DVR it but we didn't get the channel.

After reading all the books over the years and Hamilton's most recent book it was interesting to watch him under pressure. Obviously he left a lot out due to on going investigations and wouldn't name names. And I have said it before but I really don't care about the DOJ suite against him. USADA/WADA/UCI/USCF all laid out his punishment.

It's the people he steamed rolled that he needs to pay back and make things right. Them and the insurance company. He lost all his sponsors already, he is gonna feel that pinch no doubt.

I also don't think he deserves a life time ban. I don't think he should be able to take on sponsors of win anything for racing. But if he wants to run a marathon or 5k or race a local TT/Crit or Road race then why not. Race on a pro team, no. But just to get out as an individual and have some fun on a local scene, sure. 2 year ban and let it go...
Link Posted: 5/1/2013 9:10:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/1/2013 9:13:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Lifetime ban is only for national championship (amateur) and professional events, either of which is governed by a body that is a WADA signatory.  The prohibition on him competing in a local/non championship race is maybe 8 years - I can't remember for sure.  bottom line is that if he gave testimony his ban would have been much shorter.
Link Posted: 5/1/2013 9:14:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I think he was offered a reduced ban in exchange for cooperation in other investigations but refused.  He was even given the chance to keep two of his seven TdFs.  He's now working with Tygart, though, probably in hopes of getting out from under the ban.

No, he would have only lost 2 tour titles if he had cooperated.  He would have kept the first 5 due to SOL.
Link Posted: 5/1/2013 9:22:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I think he was offered a reduced ban in exchange for cooperation in other investigations but refused.  He was even given the chance to keep two of his seven TdFs.  He's now working with Tygart, though, probably in hopes of getting out from under the ban.

Is he? I thought, last I looked at least, that those options were going because of his initial defiance. Thought he lost his window to reduce his sentence.

If they do reduce it and let him at least do local stuff and stuff similar then I am for that. Yeah he was a huge prick and I'm no fan but fair is fair. Serve the typical time and be done with it. Everyone else got 6 months to talk. Would he have been given 6 months had he come forward initially, doubtful. He pissed off and steamrolled too many people. IIRC 2 years ban is the usual right?

I see no harm in him running a marathon and local 10k's and bike races. Shit, even if he wanted to try and race on an elite level the media attention and scrutiny with which his test and results would see after all this may be something more then he bargained for...
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 12:34:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 1:12:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thanks H46, the details are easy to jumble.  While we're on the topic, how about the handling of the Puerto blood bags?  

IOC slams Puerto ruling to destroy blood bags

---

Speaking of pharmstrong, I haven't heard any updates on Bruyneel...
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 1:42:32 AM EDT
[#9]
I did a 40 mile ride on Sunday. And I got 30 in today. And then I worked a Limp Bizkit concert tonight.
Well, two out of three ain't bad.
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 1:55:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 4:15:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Since this is a bike thread, I need suggestions on a front light.  This will be used for riding when it may become dusk, not riding at night, so just need one so other people can see me, I don't need to see the road in total darkness.  Any suggestions?  I was planning on spending 40 or less, but I don't mind spending more.

I have a Lumina 500 that works great in complete darkness.  It was about $100 so it might be a little higher than you wanted to spend.
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 4:20:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
All mine!  BillDub, we're going riding next week, like it or not.

Very nice bike!!!

I have a Specialized Tarmac SL4 Pro SRAM Mid Compact on order.  The spring classic sale they have going was just too good to pass up.  I wanted the all black one, but distribution is completely out in size 61 so I had to make due with the Carbon/Red/White scheme.  I've been dreaming of a Tarmac all winter.

[url]http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/road/tarmac/tarmacsl4prosrammidcompact[url=http://]http://
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 4:28:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 4:53:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
All mine!  BillDub, we're going riding next week, like it or not.

Very nice bike!!!

I have a Specialized Tarmac SL4 Pro SRAM Mid Compact on order.  The spring classic sale they have going was just too good to pass up.  I wanted the all black one, but distribution is completely out in size 61 so I had to make due with the Carbon/Red/White scheme.  I've been dreaming of a Tarmac all winter.

[url]http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/road/tarmac/tarmacsl4prosrammidcompact[url=http://]http://

Back at you.  As much as I dislike Spec, their carbon is as good as any, and they spec their bikes brilliantly, IMO.  The 52/36 combination is fantastic, and the mix of the beefier Force front der with Red everywhere else (cept brakes) is the best.

For me, I'll swap out the cranks and bar tape at some point, but it's race ready as is.

I love Focus bikes also and will have one before I die.  Need a Cannondale also...

I really like the components on the SRAM mid compact.  Every review I have read about the red-black front der has been either mixed or negative.  Might upgrade to 2012 red front der and brakes in the future once the price comes down some (due to Red 22).  With the $1000 price drop, it was something I just had to do.  I really wanted an Izalco Pro 3.0 too, but the price drop on the Spec pushed me over the edge.  Plus the Spec has been winning award after award this year.

Which model is yours.  It's a beauty!!!  
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 5:15:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 7:39:38 PM EDT
[#16]
I want a 52/36 for my TT bike...
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 9:26:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Thanks H46, the details are easy to jumble.  While we're on the topic, how about the handling of the Puerto blood bags?  

They are easy to jumble and I quit paying attention after the Oprah interview.  People who have been arguing with me since 2007 or so about whether or not Armstrong doped finally had to shut up.  Yeah, even after the USADA RD, there were still a few who thought Cancer Jesus never doped, because, you know, he survived cancer...

I haven't been following Puerto stuff, or cycling period, much over the past few months.  

Link Posted: 5/2/2013 11:06:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Cayo Evo 4.0, 6700 with FSA cranks.  It's the Izalco front end with the ErgoRide rear triangle, or so I'm told.  It's very stiff, very smooth, and very much a racing bike.  Craaaazy deal they made me.  They claimed to still be making money on it, but I'm not convinced.  Here's a better pic:

FYI, if you were considering WiFli, avoid the 2012 Red WiFli rear der at the moment until they get the spontaneous disassembly thing worked out.  One of the pins in the parallelogram can work its way out and the whole thing swings into your spokes.  The first guy it happened to posted about it on RBR and SRAM has been very quietly replacing them at the distributor level, but it's a question as to how many are in circulation still as SRAM hasn't announced a recall.

Good God, that thing is bad ass!! You've got yourself one good looking bike, there!! I'll be waiting for a full ride report.
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 11:37:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are easy to jumble and I quit paying attention after the Oprah interview.  People who have been arguing with me since 2007 or so about whether or not Armstrong doped finally had to shut up.  Yeah, even after the USADA RD, there were still a few who thought Cancer Jesus never doped, because, you know, he survived cancer...

I haven't been following Puerto stuff, or cycling period, much over the past few months.  

I started a thread last week about the DOJ suite and got very few bites lol

Those original LA threads were fun though

AGW, I'm out of town most of the week. Vacation at Lego Land with the fam
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 11:38:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Oh, and nice bike

Link Posted: 5/2/2013 11:44:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Another 6 mile shakedown ride to get back into after breaking my ankle and being off the bike for almost 8 months.

18mph average speed over 6 miles, on my 1982 Schwinn traveler.  

Link Posted: 5/4/2013 12:53:51 AM EDT
[#22]
MHR: 65 (Yesterday 62)

30 mins on the trainer

Worked for 13 hours today...
Link Posted: 5/4/2013 2:04:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/4/2013 8:57:40 AM EDT
[#24]
What do you think Wiggins chances are at a Giro title let alone a Giro/Tour double?

I don't know much about Wiggins. Last Tour I kept up on was LA's comeback.

Which he raced clean and came in 3rd...
I can see the next year coming in 23rd as riding clean or did he crash and lose time?

I just don't see many of these winning riders to really be clean...
Link Posted: 5/4/2013 9:13:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/4/2013 9:59:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
It breaks down like this: the contenders are Hesjedal (last year's winner), Wiggins (last years winner of everything else), Nibali (last years runner up in everything), and Gesink (last years guy who claimed to be a contender in everything but never cracked the top 10).  Nibali can climb/attack, Wiggins can TT, and Hesjedal can do both sorta well.  The mountain TT will be very interesting for sure.

I like the sound of that.

Link Posted: 5/4/2013 12:32:28 PM EDT
[#27]
So I am working on my training program and have it pretty well mapped out. Pretty standard CTS layout as that is what I am most familiar with having been coached  by them for.so long. What I am wondering is how much strength training I should incorporate? Was looking at following Friel's programing for the weights. But at the same time I really just need miles in my legs more then anything.

My time is some what limited so time off the bike will need to be worth it. I've done strength training in the off season before but I was also in racing shape and had all the time in the world to focus on all aspects of training. Not so much right now. My goal is to get back up to at least  10 hours a wee.  I'll be spending a lot of time just building my base again. Looking at 16 weeks of base, a moderate build and short peak. Then starting over and getting back in line with the racing season. Question is, should I bother with strength training right now or for go it for more time on the bike and recovering.

Also, I was never into training forums befor. Anybody got any good ones worth reading or posting in?
Link Posted: 5/4/2013 12:41:18 PM EDT
[#28]
So I am working on my training program and have it pretty well mapped out. Pretty standard CTS layout as that is what I am most familiar with having been coached  by them for.so long. What I am wondering is how much strength training I should incorporate? Was looking at following Friel's programing for the weights. But at the same time I really just need miles in my legs more then anything.

My time is some what limited so time off the bike will need to be worth it. I've done strength training in the off season before but I was also in racing shape and had all the time in the world to focus on all aspects of training. Not so much right now. My goal is to get back up to at least  10 hours a wee.  I'll be spending a lot of time just building my base again. Looking at 16 weeks of base, a moderate build and short peak. Then starting over and getting back in line with the racing season. Question is, should I bother with strength training right now or for go it for more time on the bike and recovering.

Also, I was never into training forums befor. Anybody got any good ones worth reading or posting in?
Link Posted: 5/4/2013 1:31:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Pre-Caps game ride:
27.25 miles
2:00:38
13.55 average
38.06 max

Going to try and get a ride in after the game, too.
Link Posted: 5/5/2013 12:48:07 AM EDT
[#30]
I love riding my bicycle but being old, fat and having degenerative disc disease, my bike is more in line with the thinking of Grant Petersen over at Rivendell Bicycle Works.  Versatility and comfort over performance.  I'm collecting components to get this bike built up before summer

Double-butted cromoly frame
Deore drivetrain (48/36/26 by 11-28) and V-brakes
Velocity Dyad rims
40mm Schwalbe Dureme tires

There's a lot of new development going on around here and I found I really enjoy leaving the pavement and riding around in the dirt.  I've got a set of 32mm Vittoria Randonneur Hyper tires for when I want a little more speed.  

I've been riding a 1995 Trek Multitrack but I expect this new bike to be more stable, comfortable and yet more agile, not to mention having much nicer components.   For those who are familiar with Surly's Long Haul Trucker, this bike is just slightly lighter (ie, it's pretty stout) but it has much sportier geometry, in fact, it's close to road bike geometry but with longer chainstays.  I really look forward to finally riding it.  

</a>" />
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 7:06:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Any of you guys ever get your VO2/LT tested in a lab before?

It's something I always wanted to test but I was a poor college student back then and the only place that did it was in Phoenix so I never looked more into it.

I always thought it'd be interesting just to know.
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 8:47:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Any of you guys ever get your VO2/LT tested in a lab before?

It's something I always wanted to test but I was a poor college student back then and the only place that did it was in Phoenix so I never looked more into it.

I always thought it'd be interesting just to know.

I've done vo2 max tests on both the run and the bike. Since I ride with power now, I do a FTP test every couple months to keep my training on track, no reason to do another one. I do most of my running based off of heart rate, so I found the vo2 max test helpful for that.
Link Posted: 5/7/2013 3:47:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/7/2013 3:50:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Beautiful bike!!!!

Just got the call my Tarmac is in the shop and built also.  The guy said "It's put together and AWESOME!"

I'm feeling like ass today so probably won't make it over there though.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2013 9:46:34 PM EDT
[#35]
AGW,

How did you do on the Mt. Lemmon TT!?!

In '04 I did it as a Cat 5 and went 11.08mph according to them.

In '05 I did it as a Cat 4 and finished in 57.20 and went 11.88mph according to the score sheet.

Slight improvement lol...

Was never much of a climber
Link Posted: 5/7/2013 11:33:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Ok, picked it up tonight.  Don't have my pedals on yet:

Link Posted: 5/8/2013 1:00:47 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/8/2013 1:10:57 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quoted:
AGW,

Pfft, I worked all weekend... taking care of the weekend warriors that crash, no less.  

DD, lookin' good!  Your shop is funny, though.  They were kind enough to remove/not install the dork disk behind the cassette but then left the reflector in your handlebars?

I know.  I have to take them off tonight, but like I posted earlier I feel like shit today.  Not motivated.  My Roubaix has the dork disk on the wheel and had the reflectors on it.  Had to pull the reflectors off myself.  I do ride at night some, but normally ride my stumpjumper with reflectors and light after dark.  Never know when I might cut through a yard or park.  

The thing is amazingly light and very agile.  I took it for a spin around the block with street shoes and holy shit it's pretty amazing.

Gonna be even lighter once I get my Mavic SLS wheels on.  Probably will replace the handlebar with a carbon unit later for a little more comfort and less road buzz.
Link Posted: 5/8/2013 1:26:51 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:
AGW,

Pfft, I worked all weekend... taking care of the weekend warriors that crash, no less.  

DD, lookin' good!  Your shop is funny, though.  They were kind enough to remove/not install the dork disk behind the cassette but then left the reflector in your handlebars?

Well their is still Kitt Peak
Link Posted: 5/8/2013 10:06:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Very nice new bikes!!

I just picked a BMC SL01 off of Ebay, to replace my broken Felt F1. I also feel like crap today, so I think I'll stay home, and tear down the CAAD9, and put it up for sale.

I finally got to put some miles on my new Reynolds R2's this weekend. I think I like 'em!! I had 'em on the BH, and they really smoothed out the ride, and made the bike way more comfortable over our crappy Phoenix roads. They climb pretty good, too. I won two uphill sprints on 'em, and led a break away with another rider in a sprint for a town sign. We got swallowed up of course, since there was two of us, and six of them!! Damn physics!!

Here's the new BMC.
Link Posted: 5/8/2013 10:44:06 AM EDT
[#41]
Everybody and their new bikes

I'll be rocking my 9 year old Trek for a other 9 years lol

But I will need a new TT frame before I do any racing. Probably an old P3 of similar. I'd love a Trek TT frame as that has always been on my wish list but it's pricey

So in the mean time I'll just keep training. While I have my HR monitor and a Cateye simple computer I'm finding my cadence is hanging between 70-85 average. I feel like I may need a computer that does cadence as well to keep an eye on it and keep myself above 80rpm.

I don't want to spend the money even if it can be had for around $50...

Looking at the Cateye Astrada 8 or whatever it is. It's a wired unit which I have actually come to prefer to minimize interference, which still gets my new Polar HR monitor.

Anyways, not 100% if I will or just keep without and let my natural cadence develop.

I did lose 1.6 lbs over our vacation to LegoLand though, down to 205lbs

Link Posted: 5/8/2013 11:29:47 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/8/2013 1:37:46 PM EDT
[#43]

Mallorca baby!
Lots and lots of switch backs!
Link Posted: 5/8/2013 5:04:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

But I will need a new TT frame before I do any racing. Probably an old P3 of similar. I'd love a Trek TT frame as that has always been on my wish list but it's pricey

So in the mean time I'll just keep training. While I have my HR monitor and a Cateye simple computer I'm finding my cadence is hanging between 70-85 average. I feel like I may need a computer that does cadence as well to keep an eye on it and keep myself above 80rpm.

Looking at the Cateye Astrada 8 or whatever it is. It's a wired unit which I have actually come to prefer to minimize interference, which still gets my new Polar HR monitor.

Anyways, not 100% if I will or just keep without and let my natural cadence develop.

Keep an eye on the Phoenix Craigslist. Theirs always TT bikes on there, for cheap. Right around Ironman AZ, a bunch of people who "thought I could do it", get rid of their TT bikes!!
Link Posted: 5/8/2013 5:06:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
A team machine was on my shortlist, but the astronomical price jump kinda made my mind for me.  WRT to TT frames, there are  several complete bikes for 1500-2k w/ 105 that could be parted out.

I've still got my G5, and I couldn't afford any BMC's except for the one I bought ( I had to sell some crap just to get this one). I'm still pissed about the Felt, and I think this winter it'll get repaired, and replace the BH.
Link Posted: 5/8/2013 11:25:36 PM EDT
[#46]
When I retire from my current profession I'm gonna go wrench on bikes in a shop

My rear Derailure was clipping my spokes... made a few adjustments on the road but only helped a little. Had to put it up in the stand and bust out the book and my old instruction. Ran through a top to bottom rear derailure troubleshoot and got it running nice and smooth again.

I love working on these things

I gave in and got a Cateye Strada Double Wireless. It's pretty nice, I am glad I got a cadence sensor, I needed it. I was grinding mostly in the 70's...

Got to work it back up to the 90's...
Link Posted: 5/9/2013 7:44:11 AM EDT
[#47]
The Trek I'm riding right now is 18 years old!  

Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/10/2013 11:21:14 AM EDT
[#48]
Weight: 203.6

Lost 5 lbs

I don't know why folks have such hard time losing weight...

Work more, eat less...
Link Posted: 5/10/2013 11:41:18 AM EDT
[#49]
Doing a century tomorrow. 60% chance of rain and 14 mph winds, it's gonna be a fun day!
Link Posted: 5/10/2013 12:12:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Oddly enough I never rode a century...

Lots of 80 mile rides as that just fit in my 4 hour training rides.

Living where I live I've not done a few things most if not all cyclist do.

While I've trained on the lower slopes of Mt. Lemmon I've only ridden to the top once.
I've not ridden a century.
I've not ridden El Tour De Tucson
I've only ridden the "Shoot Out" once and was not in near enough shape to even think about hanging on... Never went back.

Thanks to racing I've done Mt. Graham once up and once down a separate time.
Also raced to the top of Kitt Peak twice.
Lots of other places due to races that you'd never ride other wise.

But certaintly need to expand on experiences.
My wife just got a MTB so I'm hoping she gets into it more.

She can't believe bike stuff can cost as much as it does. I told her how much my bike cost and the upgrades I put on it... I got the look from her lol
Page / 55
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top