Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/5/2012 12:59:49 PM EDT
I'm dusting off the old P90x DVDs I never started and I know pull ups are just one of the forms of punishment they call for.  I have a small condo so maybe one of those door mount bars?  Don't know how well they work but they seem like they would rip my door frame off when my fat ass hangs on them!

Thanks!

Link Posted: 4/5/2012 1:35:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Mine worked for 4 years. Just broke the top "bar" the other day. Things plastic so it figures it'd give out. I was luckily just starting to mount it. I'll probably buy a 2x4 (actually smaller than that) to drill and screw into it. Wood will be harder to break. Much better compression. That said, I used the shit out of this thing but my weight range has been from 155-175 on this thing so take it for what it's worth. $20 over 4 years is $5 a year. Ha.
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 8:23:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I built a chin bar from 3/4 inch galvanized pipe and pipe fittings from the hardware store and lagged it to the header above a door. Cost about $30 and is pretty solid. Had to do it because the doors in my house are all wide and chin units that you can take on and off didn't have enough hold on each side of the frame. If you have enough hold on each side but are worried about damaging the molding then buy some closed cell pipe insulation and tape it on to give you more protection.
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 9:26:08 PM EDT
[#3]
my little brother has had a no-frills one that you drill into the door frame.  we've both been using it for years, kinda light-ish use, but it's held up about 6 years, we have used it usually once a week each during that time. we've both weighed about 200lbs on average during that time, usually about 20-60 reps per "workout".  help up just fine, no damage to the door frame.
Link Posted: 4/7/2012 12:18:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I have one of those pull up/push up things.  It works well,but I threw some slippers on the ends because the stock padding isn't very good so it started denting my door frame.  I almost learned the hard way that you cant pop your pull ups on those as the bar can come off the door.  And yeah, you really shouldn't do that anyways, but my excuse is that those were my climbing days, and that sort of movement was sometimes necessary.
Link Posted: 4/9/2012 9:42:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I am a little late on this thread but try a Metolius Hangboard. It is actually a rock climbing thing but it works great (pull ups only). I have one hanging on my back porch.
Link Posted: 4/11/2012 2:56:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Get a power tower, thank me later.
Link Posted: 4/11/2012 3:18:56 PM EDT
[#7]
My 270lb ass did p90x in an apartment for a year with a door hanging pullup bar...

no damage done.

Link Posted: 4/12/2012 3:15:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Iron Gym works well.  3 years and thousands of pullups.  It will scuff your doorframe a bit but it's probably no more unsightly than brackets screwed in.  I've done two with screw-in brackets in the past and they work fine, but some doorframes are have molding or are too skinny to support those setups.  It's also nice to be able to change what door it's hanging in.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top