BCM
User Panel

Page / 769
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 12:36:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SoonerBorn:
What is your opinion on them?

Here is my issue.  I've had a nagging shoulder pain for the last six months.  Probably due to throwing baseball batting practice for my kiddo 3x a week, but I also get it after doing squats.  Does this take much of the pressure off the shoulders?  I'm not going to stop squatting regardless, but hoping this helps.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SoonerBorn:
Originally Posted By Jarcese:

Titan V2 is 10% off and Elite FTS is $365 + $90 shipping.  That's the cheapest the Elite bar has been in a long time and regarded as the best.  Titan is supposedly an exact copy, but cheaper and free shipping.  I bought my Elite bar on Black Friday last year and I believe I paid $425 and free shipping so roughly same price as this year's deal.  I would have gone with the Titan bar, but it was OOS most of last year.
What is your opinion on them?

Here is my issue.  I've had a nagging shoulder pain for the last six months.  Probably due to throwing baseball batting practice for my kiddo 3x a week, but I also get it after doing squats.  Does this take much of the pressure off the shoulders?  I'm not going to stop squatting regardless, but hoping this helps.

It's different than a regular squat and it will save your shoulders.  Much harder on your core than a regular squat.  If you're just trying to mimic a normal
squat, but save your shoulders, you can get off way cheaper with a rackable camber bar, the trapezoid shaped bar, not the curved "Duffalo" bar.  The SSB feels like a front squat to me.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 1:03:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By jcatcg:
I'm not who you're quoting, but if you have shoulder issues an SSB is absolutely wonderful. Likely the best investment you can make for your gym after a basic rack, bar and plates.

Of the two mentioned before, the geometry is pretty much identical. The EliteFTS is made in the USA and you pay a premium for that. The Titan is cheaper but imported. The only significant functional difference is that the EliteFTS is powder coated while the Titan has a chrome finish. Neither finish is particularly durable, but the Titan is reported as less prone to chipping, etc. For what it's worth, I have (specialty) bars from Rogue, Titan, Kabuki, BoS and Rep, so not tied to any particular brand, but I went with the Titan for my SSB.
View Quote
Thanks dude!  

Ordered the V2 since it was 10% off and in stock.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 1:15:00 PM EDT
[#3]
$329 and free shipping at REP Fitness. I haven’t used it but their benches are solid if that’s any indication.

Safety Squat Bar
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 1:32:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Jarcese:

It's different than a regular squat and it will save your shoulders.  Much harder on your core than a regular squat.  If you're just trying to mimic a normal
squat, but save your shoulders, you can get off way cheaper with a rackable camber bar, the trapezoid shaped bar, not the curved "Duffalo" bar.  The SSB feels like a front squat to me.
View Quote
You know what's interesting about that. You're absolutely correct that it's a bit different movement. An SSB brings in more quad and upper back. I my experience though, I've gotten a great carryover to a standard low bar squat. Whenever I do a block of SSB squats and then go back to a low bar squat, any gains transfer pretty much 1:1.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 2:48:10 PM EDT
[#5]
You know what's interesting about that. You're absolutely correct that it's a bit different movement. An SSB brings in more quad and upper back. I my experience though, I've gotten a great carryover to a standard low bar squat. Whenever I do a block of SSB squats and then go back to a low bar squat, any gains transfer pretty much 1:1.
View Quote
Interesting, actually sounds perfect for my kiddo as well for baseball.  Shoulder health is important as is a strong core and shoulder strength.  Already hitting glutes with other stuff, so quads getting more isolated is perfect.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 11:30:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GUNGUY148] [#6]
I bought the elite safety squat bar 6 or so months ago as I was having shoulder issues with anything over 275. It was a great investment IMO. As others have stayed it's definitely a bit of a different lift with much more upper back engagement. It took me a couple months to get the weights up to where I was squatting with a straight bar.

The first time I used it I of course did a few reps with just the bar, then loaded a plate on each side and did 10 reps. I had never felt anything hit my upper back like that did. Prior to the SSB I had always squatted low bar only, if someone squats high bar or front it may not be such a drastic shock to their upper back.

I've been working diligently on my shoulder flexibility close to 10x a week for the last couple months,  last week I squatted with the straight bar for the first time since I bought the SSB. I did 3x5 @315 fairly easily with just some shoulder discomfort, nothing screaming at me or trying to lock up. I'll probably start mixing in conventional squats again.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 3:26:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By MAbowhunter:
Smelling salts with a cold was a terrible idea , it was a delayed reaction too, I was about to get under the bar when I started to gag and had to pull out my mouthpiece to hack up some grossness.
View Quote

Wasn't a cold. This is going to set me back some.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 8:04:54 PM EDT
[#8]
I hate ladders, I spent several hours residing the gable end of my shop with fiber cement siding today. I didn't fall off the ladder, but I feel like I did.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 8:05:49 PM EDT
[#9]

View All Quotes
Smelling salts with a cold was a terrible idea , it was a delayed reaction too, I was about to get under the bar when I started to gag and had to pull out my mouthpiece to hack up some grossness.

Get some bad turkey?
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 8:27:38 PM EDT
[#10]

View All Quotes

Speaking of ammonia, for shits and giggles I picked up some of juji's Ahhhh! smelling salts. OMG he's not kidding when he says they're the strongest on the market. They will seriously hurt you.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 8:29:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By GUNGUY148:

Get some bad turkey?
View Quote

Fucking chicoms.
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 6:45:03 AM EDT
[#12]

Fucking chicoms.
View All Quotes

Get some bad turkey?

Fucking chicoms.

China is asshole
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 8:07:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: grady] [#13]
Well, my progress is fucked. I was already gonna be two days behind my schedule because of Thanksgiving travel.

Then, blam! I’ve got the fucking flu and I’m wrecked. All my progress depends on never missing days and eating more than I’m comfortable with. Any miss, and I miss. I haven’t been able eat anything at all for three days.

It’s gonna take me months to recover from this. I guess I’ll say goodbye to a 600 deadlift and 405 bench within the next year.

Link Posted: 11/30/2022 8:28:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By grady:
Well, my progress is fucked. I was already gonna be two days behind my schedule because of Thanksgiving travel.

Then, blam! I’ve got the fucking flu and I’m wrecked. All my progress depends on never missing days and eating more than I’m comfortable with. Any miss, and I miss. I haven’t been able eat anything at all for three days.

It’s gonna take me months to recover from this. I guess I’ll say goodbye to a 600 deadlift and 405 bench within the next year.

View Quote

That sucks dude. Hope you get better soon, I've had the flu and have covid right now. The flu was worse.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 11:02:54 PM EDT
[#15]

Then, blam! I've got the fucking flu and I'm wrecked. All my progress depends on never missing days and eating more than I'm comfortable with. Any miss, and I miss. I haven't been able eat anything at all for three days.

It's gonna take me months to recover from this. I guess I'll say goodbye to a 600 deadlift and 405 bench within the next year.

View Quote
I get the urgency because age means you have a finite time to make gains, but don't get overly discouraged. it'll come back faster than you think and you won't lose as much as you expect.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 11:14:58 PM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

That blows man, when you're better a force feeed will be required. If you don't leave with the meat sweats, 130 bpm waddling out, and high blood pressure for the rest of the day you've failed us.
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 3:35:00 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm pretty bummed out that this training cycle got fucked and I'm going to have to drop the weight on the next cycle. I've lost over 10lbs and still have a cough, I don't want to think about how much of a hit my strength took. I know my cardio took a substantial hit.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 8:52:49 PM EDT
[#18]
I think I'm sick, or something.  I pretty much feel ok but have zero energy and I slept 10 hours Monday and Tuesday night, I got home at 4pm today and took a 2.5 hour nap. I'm still exhausted.

Link Posted: 12/14/2022 11:28:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Looks like we’ve all gone down the shutter at the same time.

I still haven’t gotten back under the bar.
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 10:14:18 AM EDT
[#20]
I haven't either, I'm still fucking coughing.
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 4:09:28 PM EDT
[#21]
I took a full rest week off and took vacation last week to wire a 2700 sq/ft building basically by myself.  Did 45 recessed wafer lights so I got plenty of 1 legged squats up on to my platform.  Woke up today feeling like everyone else here.  Hopefully just drywall and insulation caked in my head and not the plague.
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 6:39:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Well, at least we can all turn into weak little bitches together.
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 7:12:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Everyone should have one of these for their home gym.

Link Posted: 12/15/2022 7:34:12 PM EDT
[#24]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/374770/dontbeabitch-2232164.jpg
View Quote

I don't need a flag. The vermin squeak encouragement at me.
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 7:44:05 PM EDT
[#25]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/374770/dontbeabitch-2232164.jpg
View Quote

I'd have to go to the basement to read the sign, ima sit on the couch instead
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 3:07:04 PM EDT
[#26]
I managed to hit my goal of a 500lb squat before the end of the year. Been there before, but its been a while. Couple weeks ago I set up a camera and got under it but came up a little short on depth. The weight intimidated me a bit. This time I nailed depth, and then hit a second rep that felt clean as well. 500x2, but of course I did not set up a camera because I didn't think I'd even get one. The intention was really just to fell the weight again.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 3:24:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Thor:
I managed to hit my goal of a 500lb squat before the end of the year. Been there before, but its been a while. Couple weeks ago I set up a camera and got under it but came up a little short on depth. The weight intimidated me a bit. This time I nailed depth, and then hit a second rep that felt clean as well. 500x2, but of course I did not set up a camera because I didn't think I'd even get one. The intention was really just to fell the weight again.
View Quote

Congrats. That's a nice way to end the year. I've never quite got there. Seems like every time I get close something else goes wrong with my body. Maybe next year.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 6:36:48 PM EDT
[#28]
View Quote

Congrats!

That's solid man, great work.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 10:56:42 PM EDT
[#29]
View Quote

Nice job!

Link Posted: 12/23/2022 7:14:31 AM EDT
[#30]
View Quote

That's awesome.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 11:05:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Merry Christmas, gentlemen!

Link Posted: 12/25/2022 10:45:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Merry Christmas, gentlemen!

View Quote

Merry Christmas, I'm fixing to go lift before the festivities start.
Link Posted: 12/25/2022 7:35:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Hope everyone had a great Christmas!
Link Posted: 12/26/2022 3:14:55 PM EDT
[#34]

Congrats!

View Quote

Thanks guys. It felt pretty awesome to fail, then hit it for two the second attempt.

Today I worked my way up to a 375 pause bench. 335 was way easier than expected, 355 moved smoothly, and there was no grinding to push up the 375. No pain but when I locked out there was a noticeable unevenness. Left arm was more flared to take pressure from my shoulder I suppose. I really want to push myself but I have always hurt myself at or on the approach to 400, even when I was 10yrs younger.

I'm moving in less than two weeks. I may have mentioned I already found an awesome gym down the street from the new house. The best part is I will be self employed so I have more than 40 mins over lunch break to train. I'll finally have time to focus on strong lifts.

Hope everyone had a good Christmas!
Link Posted: 12/26/2022 3:57:16 PM EDT
[#35]

Thanks guys. It felt pretty awesome to fail, then hit it for two the second attempt.

Today I worked my way up to a 375 pause bench. 335 was way easier than expected, 355 moved smoothly, and there was no grinding to push up the 375. No pain but when I locked out there was a noticeable unevenness. Left arm was more flared to take pressure from my shoulder I suppose. I really want to push myself but I have always hurt myself at or on the approach to 400, even when I was 10yrs younger.

I'm moving in less than two weeks. I may have mentioned I already found an awesome gym down the street from the new house. The best part is I will be self employed so I have more than 40 mins over lunch break to train. I'll finally have time to focus on strong lifts.

View All Quotes

Congrats!

Thats awesome. Sounds like you've done well at life.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 11:18:58 AM EDT
[#36]

View Quote

Well, I have been, and hopefully I can keep it going! I'm leaving a six figure job, moving to a new state, and my plan is a gut feeling due to what I might as well admit feels like a higher power dropping giant neon signs in front of me and my wife. I feel like every unrealistic "yeah, that would be nice" idea we've talked about has had something to make it a reality present itself shortly afterwards. Now that it's all final we have zero debt and enough money to pay the bills for 2 years. That gives me time to build up my business and allows me to take it easy for the next few years and spend time with my daughter before she goes to school.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 4:00:48 PM EDT
[#37]

Well, I have been, and hopefully I can keep it going! I'm leaving a six figure job, moving to a new state, and my plan is a gut feeling due to what I might as well admit feels like a higher power dropping giant neon signs in front of me and my wife. I feel like every unrealistic "yeah, that would be nice" idea we've talked about has had something to make it a reality present itself shortly afterwards. Now that it's all final we have zero debt and enough money to pay the bills for 2 years. That gives me time to build up my business and allows me to take it easy for the next few years and spend time with my daughter before she goes to school.
View All Quotes

Thants great man, I wish you the best of success. I'd be way to scared to leave my job lol.
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 3:49:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Well, 10 months after blowing out a disc I’m ready to start powerlifting for weight again.

After needing to start back over at literally “being able to walk without pain” again, then basic lifting in august of last year, my goal is to work back to a 1k total by June.

The pain is mostly gone and I think what’s left is largely mental. I need to prove to my brain that my body is capable.
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 8:51:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By moximouse:
Well, 10 months after blowing out a disc I’m ready to start powerlifting for weight again.

After needing to start back over at literally “being able to walk without pain” again, then basic lifting in august of last year, my goal is to work back to a 1k total by June.

The pain is mostly gone and I think what’s left is largely mental. I need to prove to my brain that my body is capable.
View Quote

Glad you're recovering, get strong man.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 10:14:10 PM EDT
[#40]

Glad you're recovering, get strong man.
View Quote

I’ll try and post in the thread periodically as I hit milestones. Or blow it out again 😂
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 10:29:23 PM EDT
[#41]
I'm going to change up my routine and goals a bit, I'm reasonably okay with my size and strength and I think to drastically increase either would take more dedication than I can give, drugs, calories, and likely injuries.

I am going to increase my overall fitness level and attempt to keep as much strength and size as possible. I've been the cardio hater forever,  but I bought a echo bike 3 months ago, been hitting it and corrective exercises 4 morning a week while strength training 4 evenings a week. I'd like to add run a mile at a decent time, do some box jumps, sand bag work, etc.

I'm sure I'll be making a mess of things soon, wish me luck
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 10:48:55 AM EDT
[#42]
Started lifting again this morning, 15lbs lighter than before I got covid. I dropped the training maxes 10% for all 4 lifts and I still only got 4 on the 5+ set of ohp, only 125lbs. On the bench BBB I only got 2 sets of 10 and 1 set of 9 at 118lbs. Also the tendonitis in my right arm has gotten worse not better with the break from lifting.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 9:35:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GUNGUY148] [#43]
Started lifting again this morning, 15lbs lighter than before I got covid. I dropped the training maxes 10% for all 4 lifts and I still only got 4 on the 5+ set of ohp, only 125lbs. On the bench BBB I only got 2 sets of 10 and 1 set of 9 at 118lbs. Also the tendonitis in my right arm has gotten worse not better with the break from lifting.
View Quote

Brutal, it took me months to fully recover my strength and lung capacity. Everyday life stuff was fine but the gym or splitting firewood kicked my ass.

You'll get back to where you were, try not to let it get you down. The mind fuck is my biggest issue anytime I have a set back.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 11:25:23 AM EDT
[#44]
I haven’t been able to touch the bar since the day before Thanksgiving. Life has thrown us some cruel twists since then.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 12:30:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Today went slightly better than yesterday. 298.5lbs for 7 on deadlift and 218lbs for a tough 2 sets of 10 and 1 set of 7 on a 14in box ( I just bought the 16/14/12in box last week and this was my first time box squatting, 14in has me at or just below parallel). I might have been able to get 1 more but I didn't want to risk getting stuck. Cardio has definitely taken a hit.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 7:45:11 PM EDT
[#46]
I haven’t been able to touch the bar since the day before Thanksgiving. Life has thrown us some cruel twists since then.
View Quote

Damn bro that sucks, I hope you get everything squared away soon.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 7:48:00 PM EDT
[#47]
I lifted this morning at the hotel in San diego I'm at, they have all the silly machines, 50# dumbells, and a dual cable functional trainer.

Some dildo has stolen the carbiners to attach the handles to the cables
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 8:52:36 PM EDT
[#48]
I lifted this morning at the hotel in San diego I'm at, they have all the silly machines, 50# dumbells, and a dual cable functional trainer.

View Quote

Use your shoelaces
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 1:40:32 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Domnior:

Use your shoelaces
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Domnior:

Use your shoelaces

I tried real hard to MacGyver the handles on, enough so that I hope no one was watching me fail at redneck rigging gym equipment

Link Posted: 1/11/2023 8:17:10 PM EDT
[#50]
So between some minor surgery and a general lack of motivation/discipline, I've been slacking off a bit.

But there's nothing to get you going again like some new shiny being delivered to your door

Page / 769
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top