Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 769
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 10:15:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By therex:
the aeropress makes as single cup of coffee, but fucking FAST and delicious. It's my favorite non-espresso-machine way to make coffee. 

Sidenote: I passed my comps so I'm officially done with school. I can't walk but my degree will be conferred next month, I'm pumped AF. 
View Quote
Congrats!!!

And yes, the Aeropress makes great coffee.
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 10:50:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By AnvilUSMC:
What is the advantages of an aeropress vs. french press? I like coffee but I give it a lot of analysis.
View Quote
I'm still learning the aeropress.  It seems there are a thousand different ways of using one.  French press is pretty idiot proof.  But it still makes the best coffee, IMO.  You get a lot of extraction of the coffee in your cup.  There will be a little sludge in the bottom when you finish.  Two cups of french press and I'm done for quite a while.  It's like bourbon in your favorite glass, with just an ice cube.

But what I use pretty much everyday is a chemex.  I have two of them now.  They make a really clean cup of coffee, and unlike an automatic maker, you control the water temp, and the pouring itself.  So you can play around with it some.

Attachment Attached File

Hit the gym this morning and actually felt pretty good.  I'll hit the squat rack on Thursday and see how it goes.
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 10:51:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Man this thread is still broke, huh?
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 10:52:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By SCW:
Congrats!!!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
the aeropress makes as single cup of coffee, but fucking FAST and delicious. It's my favorite non-espresso-machine way to make coffee. 

Sidenote: I passed my comps so I'm officially done with school. I can't walk but my degree will be conferred next month, I'm pumped AF. 
Congrats!!!

Yeah, congrats man.  That's a good feeling.
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 11:39:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SCW] [#5]
Originally Posted By LawyerUp:

I'm still learning the aeropress.  It seems there are a thousand different ways of using one.  French press is pretty idiot proof.  But it still makes the best coffee, IMO.  You get a lot of extraction of the coffee in your cup.  There will be a little sludge in the bottom when you finish.  Two cups of french press and I'm done for quite a while.  It's like bourbon in your favorite glass, with just an ice cube.

But what I use pretty much everyday is a chemex.  I have two of them now.  They make a really clean cup of coffee, and unlike an automatic maker, you control the water temp, and the pouring itself.  So you can play around with it some.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/277223/IMG_5732-355644.JPG

Hit the gym this morning and actually felt pretty good.  I'll hit the squat rack on Thursday and see how it goes.
View Quote
I get my water hot but not scalding or boiling, then add it to the ground coffee for 4 or 5 minutes and press it out.  Putting in really hot water seems to make it more bitter, but after I've pressed out that batch I add hot water to fill the cup.  Only about 50% of the total water goes in with the grinds at first.

We have only one option for unground coffee in my county, this stuff.  It's literally the only option in the county.

Amazon Product
  • 12oz bag of Whole Bean Gevalia Traditional Blend coffee
  • 100% Arabica coffee
  • Mild Roast which is medium-bodied, smooth, and perfectly balanced

Link Posted: 11/7/2017 11:44:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LawyerUp] [#6]

I get my water hot but not scalding or boiling, then add it to the ground coffee for 4 or 5 minutes and press it out.  Putting in really hot water seems to make it more bitter, but after I've pressed out that batch I add hot water to fill the cup.  Only about 50% of the total water goes in with the grinds at first.

We have only one option for unground coffee in my county, this stuff.  It's literally the only option in the county.

www.amazon.com/dp/B00MBEJW9I
View Quote
Uh, I hate to tell you this.  But that is ground.    eta: it switched, weird

I have one of these, and set it to 200.  Then just click it and forget it.  When I'm ready to pour, its's 200.  

Link Posted: 11/7/2017 11:53:41 AM EDT
[#7]

I have one of these, and set it to 200.  Then just click it and forget it.  When I'm ready to pour, its's 200.  

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/wsimgs/ab/images/dp/wcm/201729/0096/img95o.jpg
View Quote
I realized I put the wrong link in and fixed it...  

I only drink a single cup a day so I've never bothered to invest in much advanced stuff for it, but it would be nice to have something like that.  I got my Mr. Coffee free, otherwise I'd still be using a pot on the stove.
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 11:57:51 AM EDT
[#8]
In other news, I can't get a handle on my hematacrit.  It was 18.9 a week and a half ago when I donated 500cc.  A few days after it was down to 17.6, then last saturday it was back to 18.6.  I'm going to donate again this weekend, that will make three weeks in a row and I really doubt I'll be much better by then.  My head is a constant throbbing headache and I can't settle down to sleep.  

One potential culprit is living at high elevation.  The treatment is regular blood draws.
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 12:14:29 PM EDT
[#9]

View Quote
Congrats! And thanks for the explanation.
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 12:23:51 PM EDT
[#10]

View All Quotes

www.amazon.com/dp/B00MBEJW9I

I have noticed the same thing with water temp. Boiling is bad. When I use the french press I'll heat water in a tea kettle 'till she whistles then let it cool for a few minutes before pouring into the press. Lawyer's water pot is ideal, we used to have one at the office.

I ordered the Kenya Kigutha just now. I'm excited to try it.
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 1:04:52 PM EDT
[#11]
In other news, I can't get a handle on my hematacrit.  It was 18.9 a week and a half ago when I donated 500cc.  A few days after it was down to 17.6, then last saturday it was back to 18.6.  I'm going to donate again this weekend, that will make three weeks in a row and I really doubt I'll be much better by then.  My head is a constant throbbing headache and I can't settle down to sleep.  

One potential culprit is living at high elevation.  The treatment is regular blood draws.
View Quote
I've only seen crit measured as a %. How is yours measured and what's the scale?
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 2:54:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By frayedknot:

I've only seen crit measured as a %. How is yours measured and what's the scale?
View Quote
Oh yeah.  Those numbers are hemoglobin, so multiply by three for hematiacrit.

So I'm running around 56.7% for my high score, then settled in at 55.8%
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 5:21:36 PM EDT
[#13]

I have noticed the same thing with water temp. Boiling is bad. When I use the french press I'll heat water in a tea kettle 'till she whistles then let it cool for a few minutes before pouring into the press. Lawyer's water pot is ideal, we used to have one at the office.

View Quote
It's on the way.  I tried the batch for you just to make sure it was GTG.  IMO so far, it gets better as it cools.  At first sip, it's like, yeah I think I like it.  Then each sip you start tasting more.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 5:30:14 PM EDT
[#14]
It's on the way.  I tried the batch for you just to make sure it was GTG.  IMO so far, it gets better as it cools.  At first sip, it's like, yeah I think I like it.  Then each sip you start tasting more.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/277223/IMG_5782-355940.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/277223/IMG_5783-355941.JPG
View All Quotes

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/277223/IMG_5782-355940.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/277223/IMG_5783-355941.JPG
Awesome! Thanks man. I'm excited to try it. When you first mentioned how it changes with temp I thought that was something I had to try. Depending on how quick I start to work through it I'll probably order the squat rack blend soon.
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 9:11:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 10:08:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Hank:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/6593/mehmehmeh-312323.gif

but congrats, rexy!
View Quote
Thanks everyone. Now I'll have a master's degree to go with that PHD I give my wife erry day.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 2:48:44 PM EDT
[#17]
LOL.  Facebook declined to sell the squat rack blend, because selling sexual performance enhancement products is a violation of their policies.  
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 3:53:58 PM EDT
[#18]
LOL.  Facebook declined to sell the squat rack blend, because selling sexual performance enhancement products is a violation of their policies.  
View Quote
Fuck facebook. You guys are gonna be goddam sick of me, as I quit social media until at least 2018 if not longer because FUCK THIS WHOLE PLANET.

SO. 

I was watching Strength Wars yeah, and they had a contest that was as many deadlifts as possible at 405 in 10 minutes. Thought it was a dope test of strength, tried it myself. No belt, but had to use straps since chalk is verboten at the gym I was. Got 26, so that was fun. 
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 3:59:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Fuck facebook. You guys are gonna be goddam sick of me, as I quit social media until at least 2018 if not longer because FUCK THIS WHOLE PLANET.

SO. 

I was watching Strength Wars yeah, and they had a contest that was as many deadlifts as possible at 405 in 10 minutes. Thought it was a dope test of strength, tried it myself. No belt, but had to use straps since chalk is verboten at the gym I was. Got 26, so that was fun. 
View Quote
Did you ever try that workout that was like 1 rep of DL every 30 seconds for 30 minutes, IIRC, pick a weight close to 405.  I think I did like 365 and about died.  I remember a puddle on the ground in front of me.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 5:20:16 PM EDT
[#20]

Did you ever try that workout that was like 1 rep of DL every 30 seconds for 30 minutes, IIRC, pick a weight close to 405.  I think I did like 365 and about died.  I remember a puddle on the ground in front of me.
View Quote
I did that with 315. Did 2 every minute on the minute with 30 single jump ropes after.

it was fun. 
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 9:52:40 AM EDT
[#21]
I did that with 315. Did 2 every minute on the minute with 30 single jump ropes after.

it was fun. 
View All Quotes

it was fun. 
Well, I still haven't talked to my doctor, but I got my CT scan report and it appears that there were no abnormalities, and that whatever was seen was some sort of "opacity" post-infection.  No idea what the infection was about.
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 10:56:12 AM EDT
[#22]

Well, I still haven't talked to my doctor, but I got my CT scan report and it appears that there were no abnormalities, and that whatever was seen was some sort of "opacity" post-infection.  No idea what the infection was about.
View Quote
Good news
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 10:58:39 AM EDT
[#23]

View Quote
Wow, I bet that feels good.  What a terrible scare.
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 11:47:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Nice, LU. Hope that clarifies the situation for you.
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 6:52:38 PM EDT
[#25]
@LawyerUp

The coffee is awesome. Got it this afternoon and drinking some now. My lifting parter likes it too. Starting to notice the profile change as it cools.
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 10:24:10 AM EDT
[#26]
@LawyerUp

The coffee is awesome. Got it this afternoon and drinking some now. My lifting parter likes it too. Starting to notice the profile change as it cools.
View Quote
Awesome.  Glad you like it.

I met with a retailer who contacted me, interested in stocking the coffee.  First or second thing she asked me, is this product sustainable?  Uh, what.  You know I didn't travel to Kenya right?  And if I did that would be a pretty big carbon footprint.  Fucking liberals.  The coffee community is eaten up with the SJW bullshit.
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 11:11:27 AM EDT
[#27]

I met with a retailer who contacted me, interested in stocking the coffee.  First or second thing she asked me, is this product sustainable?  Uh, what.  You know I didn't travel to Kenya right?  And if I did that would be a pretty big carbon footprint.  Fucking liberals.  The coffee community is eaten up with the SJW bullshit.
View Quote
You were supposed to answer yes, I can sustain any sales demand you create.

I tell my family that I use an all natural, herbal stimulant that suppresses anger, stimulates my mind and causes me to be more physically active.  It's a bonus that it's picked by slave labor, keeps the price down.

I tried cream in my coffee today, we had some fresh cream that my wife had just skimmed off the milk (BIL has a cow) so I decided to try it.  I like it a lot better black, the cream covered up the best of the flavor of the coffee.

Snatches up to 115lbs today!  I can squat snatch about 95lb but beyond that I have to power snatch.  I tried squat snatching 115 a few times but for some reason I fling that wrist away on the squat, but not on a power snatch.  I think it's probably mental so I'll go slow and see about breaking through.  I see some snatch balances in my future.
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 11:26:13 AM EDT
[#28]

I tell my family that I use an all natural, herbal stimulant that suppresses anger, stimulates my mind and causes me to be more physically active.  It's a bonus that it's picked by slave labor, keeps the price down.

I tried cream in my coffee today, we had some fresh cream that my wife had just skimmed off the milk (BIL has a cow) so I decided to try it.  I like it a lot better black, the cream covered up the best of the flavor of the coffee.

Snatches up to 115lbs today!  I can squat snatch about 95lb but beyond that I have to power snatch.  I tried squat snatching 115 a few times but for some reason I fling that wrist away on the squat, but not on a power snatch.  I think it's probably mental so I'll go slow and see about breaking through.  I see some snatch balances in my future.
View All Quotes

Congrats on the snatch.
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 11:26:23 AM EDT
[#29]

View Quote
Yes!  I'll have to memorize that.  If we ever open up our little coffee shop in our building we have, the wife wants to make some creamers.  Her BIL is a dairy farmer and we could get fresh cream, etc.  I'm not big on creamers, but women obviously are.  Maybe some cream and some alcohol or something.

Or just work on more overhead squats. I've almost killed myself several times doing snatch balances.
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 7:38:49 PM EDT
[#30]
My hct was 55. Gave double red. Didn't feel like I gave any blood.
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 7:56:51 PM EDT
[#31]

Yes!  I'll have to memorize that.  If we ever open up our little coffee shop in our building we have, the wife wants to make some creamers.  Her BIL is a dairy farmer and we could get fresh cream, etc. I'm not big on creamers, but women obviously are.  Maybe some cream and some alcohol or something.

Or just work on more overhead squats. I've almost killed myself several times doing snatch balances.
View Quote
Gimme dat French vanilla
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 9:10:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By KaiK:
My hct was 55. Gave double red. Didn't feel like I gave any blood.
View Quote
That's where I was.  I've donated twice in the last two weeks and I feel like I haven't done it at all.  I can't figure out why it's climbing, I'm on a small dose of trt (200mg/wk) and that's it.  No other drugs or anything.   I'm hoping to donate again tonight or tomorrow.
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 10:17:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Damn good coffee.
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 9:04:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KaiK] [#34]

That's where I was.  I've donated twice in the last two weeks and I feel like I haven't done it at all.  I can't figure out why it's climbing, I'm on a small dose of trt (200mg/wk) and that's it.  No other drugs or anything.   I'm hoping to donate again tonight or tomorrow.
View Quote
Think I'm only on  180 mg/week.  My E2 is high. I hope my new doc gives me the anti E stuff.
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 8:38:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By KaiK:

Think I'm only on  180 mg/week.  My E2 is high. I hope my new doc gives me the anti E stuff.
View Quote
I haven't seemed to have problems with E2 in a long, long time.  But I do seem to cry a lot when the fat lady won the car on "Price is Right" last week.

Did some work with my big Stihl 361 chain saw today.  Arms and grip were all worn out in 5 minutes, that's nothing like slinging around a kettlebell.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 11:52:27 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By flinch08:
Damn good coffee.
View Quote

So, I was diagnosed with lupus.  Sadly, it doesn't come with any super powers.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 12:34:42 PM EDT
[#37]

View All Quotes
Damn good coffee.

Damn. That sucks. What is prognosis in regards to lifting once you're on meds? I've read some commentary from Dr. Sullivan on StartingStrength.com on autoimmune disorders like lupus (my MIL has lupus) and he seemed to think lifting helped but it (disease) still sucked. My MIL still leads a full life but the inflammation has definitely slowed her down as she's in her 60s. She thinks any exercise will aggravate her symptoms. She's a shrink so there is no convincing her otherwise.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 1:17:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By frayedknot:

Damn. That sucks. What is prognosis in regards to lifting once you're on meds? I've read some commentary from Dr. Sullivan on StartingStrength.com on autoimmune disorders like lupus (my MIL has lupus) and he seemed to think lifting helped but it (disease) still sucked. My MIL still leads a full life but the inflammation has definitely slowed her down as she's in her 60s. She thinks any exercise will aggravate her symptoms. She's a shrink so there is no convincing her otherwise.

Good luck.
View Quote
The rheumatologist basically told me to lift all I want, and said I should be back to 95% or so within 6 months.  So long as the meds don't kill me.    From what I understand, there are different types of lupus.  Mine is attacking my joints, rather than organs.  It was early enough that there doesn't appear to be any permanent damage to my joints.  So I'm told anyways.

Watching my wife recover from her shoulder surgery however, makes me uneasy about continuing any type of overhead strongman work in the future.  I really don't want to go through that.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 1:37:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Damn, LU. That sucks, but at least it sounds like they are confident in the diagnosis and can proceed with treatment.

With so many things early detection and treatment are critical.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 10:41:05 AM EDT
[#40]

View Quote
Is this better news?  I guess it doesn't really matter, at least now you know what's going on and can get the right treatment.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 11:02:30 AM EDT
[#41]
Is this better news?  I guess it doesn't really matter, at least now you know what's going on and can get the right treatment.
View All Quotes

I don't know.  The medicine for for RA is the same.  I think lupus might be preferable because it sounds expected to go into remission, whereas RA is pretty rare to go into remission.  I try not to ask to many questions though.  
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 11:25:18 AM EDT
[#42]
Damn LU, sorry to hear bro. But an answer is at least something.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 11:53:29 AM EDT
[#43]

I don't know.  The medicine for for RA is the same.  I think lupus might be preferable because it sounds expected to go into remission, whereas RA is pretty rare to go into remission.  I try not to ask to many questions though.  
View Quote
I nearly ran out of coffee and I'm now officially a snob and can't go back to that can of Costco stuff I just opened.  You'll be seeing my order as soon as you check your account...  I got one of everything.  

Auto-immune is scary stuff.  When I got Lyme in Wisconsin 8 years ago it either infected my spinal cord or my immune system gets confused and thinks it has, so when I get sick I have a reaction a few days or weeks later where my nervous system gets attacked. I actually have mostly gone into remission, although as I type this my back is buzzing a little.  It's been a few years since I've had any serious setbacks, but I can't tell you why.  I had to quit all the steroids they had me on, they were worse than the disease.  Back when Darktide was around he called me all kinds of names for that, but I'm still convinced it was a good decision.  Good luck with it, hopefully catching it early means a lot of good news.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 12:42:59 PM EDT
[#44]
@Darktide Wonder where he has been?

Received notice of final acceptance to nursing school. One less thing to stress about. Now to tell my boss.

Have hope that being able to quit my job and focus on home and school gives me a little more time for training.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 4:46:42 PM EDT
[#45]

I nearly ran out of coffee and I'm now officially a snob and can't go back to that can of Costco stuff I just opened.  You'll be seeing my order as soon as you check your account...  I got one of everything.  

Auto-immune is scary stuff.  When I got Lyme in Wisconsin 8 years ago it either infected my spinal cord or my immune system gets confused and thinks it has, so when I get sick I have a reaction a few days or weeks later where my nervous system gets attacked. I actually have mostly gone into remission, although as I type this my back is buzzing a little.  It's been a few years since I've had any serious setbacks, but I can't tell you why.  I had to quit all the steroids they had me on, they were worse than the disease.  Back when Darktide was around he called me all kinds of names for that, but I'm still convinced it was a good decision.  Good luck with it, hopefully catching it early means a lot of good news.
View Quote
Awesome.  I'm at my other office today, so I'll have to get it out tomorrow.

I just ordered a shit ton, well actually 70 kgs of a top lot columbian coffee.  Taste notes of cherry, peach and nectarine.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 7:30:21 PM EDT
[#46]
@Darktide Wonder where he has been?
View Quote
I've wondered the same
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 8:22:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Flinch-good news, congrats.
Lawyer-keep positive man-
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 1:35:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Monday- A Bench plus a bunch of Hypertrophy upper body stuff
Tuesday-A Squats plus a bunch of Hypertrophy lower body stuff
Wednesday- Dragged this guy (80lbs),1.1 miles with a 400 foot increase in elevation, in about 55 minutes. Not mine, my hunting partner's, he is 70, so I had to do all the dragging. I even made it to work on time.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 2:08:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Nice job. Hopefully carrying deer off the mountain soon myself.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 3:07:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: nyalaman] [#50]
Nice job. Hopefully carrying deer off the mountain soon myself.
View Quote
Thanks and good luck, going out again tomorrow, taking a few days off from lifting.
Page / 769
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top