BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 769
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 9:43:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AnvilUSMC:

Now, the guys here who do Oly may disagree, but I think of squatting in weightlifting shoes as a bandaid for people without enough mobility to squat without them. If someone needs them or likes them for squatting, that's fine. But if you have enough mobility to squat without out them I think they are unnecessary.

If your shoulder mobility is keeping you from squatting heavy you can try using lifting straps to basically make the bar a safety bar. I found the picture below to kind of show what I am talking about. That way you can move forward until your shoulders get to where you want them.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/ksSHElw7D18/hqdefault.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MeatBag:
Screwed around with low bar squats at the end of my session. Discovered that flat shoes feel way better with low bar than my weightlifting shoes do. I was getting noticeably more glute and hamstring activation. Did some easy-ish sets with 200 and it didn't aggravate my elbow at all. Maybe if I hammer some light weight volume to get the form down and really work on my shoulder mobility, I can get back to heavy weights without fucking up my elbow. Maybe.

Now, the guys here who do Oly may disagree, but I think of squatting in weightlifting shoes as a bandaid for people without enough mobility to squat without them. If someone needs them or likes them for squatting, that's fine. But if you have enough mobility to squat without out them I think they are unnecessary.

If your shoulder mobility is keeping you from squatting heavy you can try using lifting straps to basically make the bar a safety bar. I found the picture below to kind of show what I am talking about. That way you can move forward until your shoulders get to where you want them.

Typically low bar squat is done without lifting shoes.

If you oly lift though, you should be high bar squatting. If you're an oly lifter high bar squatting without lifting shoes you're a dumbass.  It's not a band aide, it's making sure your lifting translates better to your sport.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 10:12:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I started high bar, switched to low then back to high.  I also squat with or without flat shoes, with or without lifting shoes.  It just depends, I've got enough mobility to squat high bar barefoot, but I am far more stable in my Romaleos.  I'm sure if I found some lifting shoes that provided a nice stable platform like the Roma's without being elevated I'd still be fine in them.  Its stability as much or more than the elevation on the heel for me.  Even my new Nanos aren't as stable for me, but they're close.  I squat in them a lot now.

Low bar is great for the occasional heavy lift but it is pretty uncomfortable on my shoulders and arms.  High bar seems to work the quads and core more too, so that's a better lift for me.  

Link Posted: 6/21/2016 10:13:01 AM EDT
[#3]
page
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 10:17:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By RolandofGilead:

If you oly lift though, you should be high bar squatting. If you're an oly lifter high bar squatting without lifting shoes you're a dumbass.  It's not a band aide, it's making sure your lifting translates better to your sport.
View All Quotes
Screwed around with low bar squats at the end of my session. Discovered that flat shoes feel way better with low bar than my weightlifting shoes do. I was getting noticeably more glute and hamstring activation. Did some easy-ish sets with 200 and it didn't aggravate my elbow at all. Maybe if I hammer some light weight volume to get the form down and really work on my shoulder mobility, I can get back to heavy weights without fucking up my elbow. Maybe.

And that is why I made sure to put the part in about oly guys. Because I knew I didn't have the whole story on that end.

I have always had great ankle mobility, but my shoulder mobility isn't the best. So I am not quite high bar or low bar but prefer flat shoes.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 1:48:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I had a trial scheduled for today, but my client shot himself in the hand with an AR.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 1:51:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By LawyerUp:
I had a trial scheduled for today, but my client shot himself in the hand with an AR.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/21/2016 1:54:42 PM EDT
[#7]
View Quote

You sure come in here with a lot of sad stories.  

Serious question-  Is meth a big problem in your area?  I'm finding that even in rural mormon Utah it's a huge problem.  Pretty much all the drama is compounded by meth.

ETA- just noticed that said HAND not HEAD....  That's a lot better.  Accident?
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 1:57:55 PM EDT
[#8]
View Quote

How the fuck do you do that?

Link Posted: 6/21/2016 2:07:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By SCW:

Serious question-  Is meth a big problem in your area?  I'm finding that even in rural mormon Utah it's a huge problem.  Pretty much all the drama is compounded by meth.

View All Quotes

Apparently another shooter had a stuck round and they were fiddling with it I guess, thinking it was just a casing and the hand was in the wrong spot.

Regarding meth, not that I know of.  I'm hearing more about heroin now from the detroit area.  Black dudes who are straight up killers.  Not just here, but down through VA and NC as well.  At least they'd stick out in my area.  My area is probably the nicest area of WV.  Just cattle farming mostly.  No coal mines.  I'm sure the coal areas are full of meth, among other things.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 2:08:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Apparently another shooter had a stuck round and they were fiddling with it I guess, thinking it was just a casing and the hand was in the wrong spot.

Regarding meth, not that I know of.  I'm hearing more about heroin now from the detroit area.  Black dudes who are straight up killers.  Not just here, but down through VA and NC as well.  At least they'd stick out in my area.  My area is probably the nicest area of WV.  Just cattle farming mostly.  No coal mines.  I'm sure the coal areas are full of meth, among other things.
View All Quotes

That's why I like CA. There are no drugs here.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 4:31:54 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

Screen name?

Link Posted: 6/21/2016 4:33:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Screen name?

View All Quotes

Screen name?

Check the "Use your safety" thread. Probably one of those clowns
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 4:59:53 PM EDT
[#13]
View Quote

I guess there is lots of money in representing dumb people.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 5:18:33 PM EDT
[#14]
GM's to warm up

Front Squat Cardio
135 x 20
185 x 20,20

KB Swings L/R
35 x 20/20
53 x 20/20,20/20

Smoked!
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 7:36:01 PM EDT
[#15]
I never realized how terrible my left shoulder mobility was.

Laying on the floor with my arms at 90 degrees, I can touch the back of my right hand to the ground, while my left is around 8 inches off
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 10:45:20 PM EDT
[#16]
You know what grinds my gears? When a guy who doesn't even lift comes over to your house and benches 250 for 3 reps easy.

Link Posted: 6/21/2016 11:00:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MeatBag] [#17]
Originally Posted By KaiK:
You know what grinds my gears? When a guy who doesn't even lift comes over to your house and benches 250 for 3 reps easy.

View Quote

Maybe he lifts in secret? Or he has multiple personalities and the personality you know is the one that doesn't even lift, like Herschel Walker?
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 11:01:38 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

Some people are too stupid to realize they shouldn't be able to do something.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 11:04:40 PM EDT
[#19]
You know what grinds my gears? When a guy who doesn't even lift comes over to your house and benches 250 for 3 reps lifts more than you easy.

View Quote

Yah... This describes everyone I know. And their wife. And oldest son. And in SCWs case, daughter too.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 12:35:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By CLICKBANGBANG:

Yah... This describes everyone I know. And their wife. And oldest son. And in SCWs case, daughter too.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CLICKBANGBANG:
You know what grinds my gears? When a guy who doesn't even lift comes over to your house and benches 250 for 3 reps lifts more than you easy.

lol

I was actually able to hang on a pullup bar yesterday.  I didn't try a pullup but just having my hand on the bar in that position was a first in the last 4 months.  I sagged all my weight on my hands too and still no pain.  I might actually be able to do front squats and cleans soon.  Snatches too.  And even maybe turn the key in my truck without hurting.

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 1:24:18 AM EDT
[#21]

He didn't say. He wants to get me around 600. I hope that's not peak.

From what I have been reading is the AI isn't as important if you spread the dose out more and don't see high e numbers.

But I should do the HGC for sure. How and when do you do the HGC?
View All Quotes
Not an expert, but you probably don't need an AI or hcg on that small of a dose.

Unfortunately that also means it's probably not going to do much for you at all.

Yep. I'll have to get them to up it in a month.

Yay, more tests.

lol. Get used to it. I think I was getting labs monthly until we settled on a treatment plan. Then every 6 months, but after my first 6 mo we made a change so 3 mo. Then I have another 3 month draw to make sure things are stable then back to every 6.

It's good to get more labs done to really monitor everything and get dialed in.

50 mg seems really low. Did your doc tell you if he wants a peak or a trough number for the next lab?

From what I have been reading is the AI isn't as important if you spread the dose out more and don't see high e numbers.

In my opinion, if your doc isn't tracking your E levels with your T levels, then you need a new doc. Your E level tells you if you need an AI.

Or menopause.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 1:27:49 AM EDT
[#22]

View All Quotes

I've always had plenty of mobility to squat barefoot/in chucks. I prefer romeleos. And I squat low bar (redundant, I know ).
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 1:32:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Speaking of squatting...

The SBD sleeves from Rolando came in last week. I was disciplined busy lazy and waited until squat day this week to try them out. I really like them. Though they are a bitch to get on/off. Definitely recommend a set if you are looking for knee compression/warmth.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 7:42:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KaiK] [#24]
Originally Posted By frayedknot:

In my opinion, if your doc isn't tracking your E levels with your T levels, then you need a new doc. Your E level tells you if you need an AI.

Or menopause.
View All Quotes
Not an expert, but you probably don't need an AI or hcg on that small of a dose.

Unfortunately that also means it's probably not going to do much for you at all.

Yep. I'll have to get them to up it in a month.

Yay, more tests.

lol. Get used to it. I think I was getting labs monthly until we settled on a treatment plan. Then every 6 months, but after my first 6 mo we made a change so 3 mo. Then I have another 3 month draw to make sure things are stable then back to every 6.

It's good to get more labs done to really monitor everything and get dialed in.

50 mg seems really low. Did your doc tell you if he wants a peak or a trough number for the next lab?

Or menopause.

Don't worry I will be doing the tracking of the E and if it's high I will say something. You know how hard it was for me to get the shot? Fuck trying to change anything right now.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 7:43:30 AM EDT
[#25]

View All Quotes

I told him he had retard strength; He agreed.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 8:01:54 AM EDT
[#26]

I've always had plenty of mobility to squat barefoot/in chucks. I prefer romeleos. And I squat low bar (redundant, I know ).
View All Quotes

What do you like more about squatting in romaleos?  just curious.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 9:00:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Speaking of squatting...

The SBD sleeves from Rolando came in last week. I was disciplined busy lazy and waited until squat day this week to try them out. I really like them. Though they are a bitch to get on/off. Definitely recommend a set if you are looking for knee compression/warmth.
View Quote

Knee high socks help tremendously.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 10:13:26 AM EDT
[#28]
Page
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 10:14:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Hizzie:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Hizzie:
Speaking of squatting...

White socks with a colored stripe?  I need a headband too.

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 11:23:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: nyalaman] [#30]
decided to do a sumo PR attempt on my de-load squat day, after OLY squats. I only do sumo as an assistance movement. got a 5 lb PR. 350 easy, meh...nothing great. a PR is a PR though.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 11:33:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RolandofGilead] [#31]
Guys, tell me about hematocrit. My level was 46 before TRT. Should I go give blood? Test first? Don't worry about it?
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 1:24:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Guys, tell me about hematocrit. My level was 46 before TRT. Should I go give blood? Test first? Don't worry about it?
View Quote

I didn't have any trouble for the first year even at my relatively high TRT dose of 200mg/week.  However, about two months ago I really spiked my hc and had to bleed it out, crazy blood pressure causing headaches and nose bleeds we gone in a minute.  I started getting symptoms about a month after that and immediately bled out again and I seem to be leveled out some.

Anyway- long story short was it seems like it took a year before it became an issue for me.  Now I keep a closer eye on it.  Not just the count but also blood pressure and headache symptoms.

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 1:46:51 PM EDT
[#33]

I didn't have any trouble for the first year even at my relatively high TRT dose of 200mg/week.  However, about two months ago I really spiked my hc and had to bleed it out, crazy blood pressure causing headaches and nose bleeds we gone in a minute.  I started getting symptoms about a month after that and immediately bled out again and I seem to be leveled out some.

Anyway- long story short was it seems like it took a year before it became an issue for me.  Now I keep a closer eye on it.  Not just the count but also blood pressure and headache symptoms.

View All Quotes

My BP was fine when I had my vitals taken last week. I'm going to have bloods done in another 2-4 weeks and we'll see how it goes. Any other symptoms I should look for besides headache and nosebleeds?
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 2:00:52 PM EDT
[#34]
My HC was around 48 when I started. It stays around 51-52 now. I don't worry about it as I don't perceive any sides.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 2:01:51 PM EDT
[#35]
My HC was around 48 when I started. It stays around 51-52 now. I don't worry about it as I don't perceive any sides.
View Quote

What's your weekly dose?
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 2:09:43 PM EDT
[#36]
View Quote

Mine has been slowly inching up on 150mg/week. This last lab 2 or 3 weeks ago was just over 51 so I am going to donate blood sometime before my next lab in October. My doc said the risk of clots and what not starts kicking in above 54.

It isn't an issue for everyone, so you just need to watch your numbers. But donating blood is a good thing to do anyway I guess, so no real downside.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 2:11:40 PM EDT
[#37]

My BP was fine when I had my vitals taken last week. I'm going to have bloods done in another 2-4 weeks and we'll see how it goes. Any other symptoms I should look for besides headache and nosebleeds?
View All Quotes

Dunno, but here's a terrible article on the subject.  I'd like to know a little more about it too, I was somewhat surprised when my BP spiked over the course of maybe 3 weeks to some crazy high level (can't remember the numbers, but it was very high for me) and the accompanying headaches.  I don't even remember what made me think of my HC levels, but that sure fixed it.  I drained a pint of stuff so sludgy it was about like ketchup.  The second time was much, much better.  I didn't want to drive clear into town (50 miles one-way) to a blood bank so I had an EMT friend do it for me.  I kept plugging a 16g needle and she would use a syringe to draw it until it started to flow again.  The second time was much easier.

My wife says I do stuff that normal people don't do, lol.  She compliments me a lot.

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 2:22:09 PM EDT
[#38]

donating blood is a good thing to do anyway I guess, so no real downside.
View Quote

This.

Better health. Helps the blood bank. Only takes 45 min 2-3 times a year. Go donate.

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 2:29:46 PM EDT
[#39]

Dunno, but here's a terrible article on the subject.  I'd like to know a little more about it too, I was somewhat surprised when my BP spiked over the course of maybe 3 weeks to some crazy high level (can't remember the numbers, but it was very high for me) and the accompanying headaches.  I don't even remember what made me think of my HC levels, but that sure fixed it.  I drained a pint of stuff so sludgy it was about like ketchup.  The second time was much, much better.  I didn't want to drive clear into town (50 miles one-way) to a blood bank so I had an EMT friend do it for me.  I kept plugging a 16g needle and she would use a syringe to draw it until it started to flow again.  The second time was much easier.

My wife says I do stuff that normal people don't do, lol.  She compliments me a lot.

View All Quotes

We'll see what my numbers are soon. I have a blood bank close to me, and also have some EMT friends so it should be an easy fix.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 3:55:41 PM EDT
[#40]

What's your weekly dose?
View All Quotes

What's your weekly dose?

100mg/E3D...so 200mg/week.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 4:01:56 PM EDT
[#41]

View All Quotes

What's your weekly dose?

Ok thanks
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 6:04:06 PM EDT
[#42]
I just put a 5# plate on one side and a 2.5# plate on the other.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 6:43:23 PM EDT
[#43]
View Quote

Sooo, 52.5lb squats today?  Is that a PR?

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 6:52:13 PM EDT
[#44]
View Quote

Hey man, you're just training for the "real world"; where you'll have to squat a tree trunk that's fatter one one side
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 8:51:08 PM EDT
[#45]

Hey man, you're just training for the "real world"; where you'll have to squat a tree trunk that's fatter one one side
View All Quotes

It was bench. I was supposed to do 235 and did 232.5.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 9:00:27 PM EDT
[#46]

View All Quotes

I think you'll be fine. Unless you died.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 9:14:29 PM EDT
[#47]

View All Quotes

It was on my 3 rep cycle and I only got 3 reps. So not sure if I could get 3 at 235.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 9:30:38 PM EDT
[#48]

It was on my 3 rep cycle and I only got 3 reps. So not sure if I could get 3 at 235.
View All Quotes

I'm sure you are just fine. I bet your weights are off by more than 2.5lbs one way or the other. Unless you've weighed/calibrated them all.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 10:14:07 PM EDT
[#49]
I'm sure you are just fine. I bet your weights are off by more than 2.5lbs one way or the other. Unless you've weighed/calibrated them all.
View Quote

I bought calibrated plates to 10 grams.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 10:29:18 PM EDT
[#50]

View All Quotes

Well damn! You definitely broke yourself then.

I still think you wouldn't have noticed the difference.
Page / 769
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top