BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 769
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 1:59:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By nyalaman:
Hit a 9 rep bench PR this morning. a PR is a PR!
View Quote

Hell yeah! Plus, bench PRs count for double.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 2:13:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By SCW:

Thanks.  I was also able to do OHP yesterday, used dumbbells with a wrist brace and no pain, so I think I've found a way to work something besides my legs again.  Still way too much pain to try any cleans or snatches.  My goal for the year was a bodyweight snatch and I haven't tried one in two months.

Maybe I should change my goals to a 450lb cookie and McMuffin fueled squat.

View Quote

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about snatching if you're not doing crossfit.  That is such a dangerous and technical lift that you either need to go all in or all out.  I would focus on getting your back squat to 455.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 2:13:49 PM EDT
[#3]
FBHO
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 2:59:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm having to take the rest of the week and maybe this weekend off. Neck is still pretty messed up. Bummer. I haven't missed a lift since I started 5/3/1.

RPR arrived at my FFL today. I should start papers to start the 10 day wait this weekend.

And someone tried to break into my house this morning when my wife was home alone. My wife heard them on the back porch. They tried the back doorknob a few times and pushed on the door pretty good. My wife was in the kitchen and yelled at them. She called 911, then me. I got there before the cops. Whoever it was ran off pretty quick. Our house looks empty when my truck isn't here. I'm guessing it was someone looking for an easy smash and grab. They didn't expect a little gal with a Glock to be home. She's pretty shook up. I'm scheduling myself to be home for the next few days.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 3:04:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By LawyerUp:

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about snatching if you're not doing crossfit.  That is such a dangerous and technical lift that you either need to go all in or all out.  I would focus on getting your back squat to 455.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Thanks.  I was also able to do OHP yesterday, used dumbbells with a wrist brace and no pain, so I think I've found a way to work something besides my legs again.  Still way too much pain to try any cleans or snatches.  My goal for the year was a bodyweight snatch and I haven't tried one in two months.

The reason I want a BW snatch isn't really for anything other than the accomplishment.  When I started I couldn't do overhead squats, or deep squats, much less throw that kind of weight anywhere.  I remember when I hit a bodyweight dead-lift, it was about a year ago I think.

The snatch is my goal because it requires me to regain good shoulder strength and mobility, good movement under the bar, coordination, etc.  It's just been really hard to find somewhere to work on it when I'm traveling.  Now that I'm still nursing a stupid wrist I haven't even been working towards it, but the complexity of my weaknesses in the snatch are exactly why it interests me.  So far it's been the squats that have hurt me...  I think if I can hit a BW snatch it will mean I've fixed most problems with weakness or mobility head to toe, for the most part.

Who knows, by the time I get the BW snatch I might be to a 455 squat too.  

Link Posted: 5/6/2016 3:06:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By CLICKBANGBANG:
I'm having to take the rest of the week and maybe this weekend off. Neck is still pretty messed up. Bummer. I haven't missed a lift since I started 5/3/1.

RPR arrived at my FFL today. I should start papers to start the 10 day wait this weekend.

And someone tried to break into my house this morning when my wife was home alone. My wife heard them on the back porch. They tried the back doorknob a few times and pushed on the door pretty good. My wife was in the kitchen and yelled at them. She called 911, then me. I got there before the cops. Whoever it was ran off pretty quick. Our house looks empty when my truck isn't here. I'm guessing it was someone looking for an easy smash and grab. They didn't expect a little gal with a Glock to be home. She's pretty shook up. I'm scheduling myself to be home for the next few days.
View Quote

That sucks.  My camera setup was one of the best investments I made at my new house.  It's nice to be able to look at the cameras from work and get emails if there is motion.

Hope the wife's not too shakin up.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 3:06:23 PM EDT
[#7]

View Quote

Good thing she was prepared enough to deal with the situation though. That'll shake you up for sure though, sorry to hear it.

I can't wait for an update on your new rifle. My dad is visiting from CA and we went out and bought a new Marlin 1895GBL as a backup/brush gun for our upcoming trip to Namibia. He thought it was pretty neat that I handed the shop some cash after filling out the 4473 and we left with a rifle and a box of ammo. haha.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 3:07:46 PM EDT
[#8]

View Quote

Scary. Tell my wife to stay armed when home alone. Hope she listens.

My whole shoulder issue I am recovering from started with a kink in my neck. Careful.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 3:09:27 PM EDT
[#9]

View Quote

Yikes.  Time for some cheap cameras around?  

You're in a pretty rural place aren't you?  Theft is a huge problem in our town, a friend had his AR in the trunk when his car got broken into (cops think the guy who did it was watching my friend open the trunk and knew it was there).  Thief ended up getting killed in a high-speed chase down the canyon when the car rolled, it also broke his AR but eventually he was able to get it back.

Link Posted: 5/6/2016 3:10:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By camarojsmith:

That sucks.  My camera setup was one of the best investments I made at my new house.  It's nice to be able to look at the cameras from work and get emails if there is motion.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By camarojsmith:

I've got plans being drawn up for an addition to our house. Whenever we expand, I was planning on putting cameras in. But they'll be another few weeks into plans, then plan check, and then a bit to do the work. So the cameras won't be up and running until fall. But they are in the budget to buy and install.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 3:11:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By AnvilUSMC:

Good thing she was prepared enough to deal with the situation though. That'll shake you up for sure though, sorry to hear it.

I can't wait for an update on your new rifle. My dad is visiting from CA and we went out and bought a new Marlin 1895GBL as a backup/brush gun for our upcoming trip to Namibia. He thought it was pretty neat that I handed the shop some cash after filling out the 4473 and we left with a rifle and a box of ammo. haha.
View All Quotes

What what?  Details!  I would love to shoot a baboon and a giraffe someday.  Some of the bigger horned critters are cool too, but a baboon skull polished up sitting on my desk?  That would be awesome.

Link Posted: 5/6/2016 3:31:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AnvilUSMC] [#12]

What what?  Details!  I would love to shoot a baboon and a giraffe someday.  Some of the bigger horned critters are cool too, but a baboon skull polished up sitting on my desk?  That would be awesome.

View All Quotes

This will be my second trip there and his third. He went in 2012 the first time, then I went with him in 2014, and we are going again this July. I had a thread in the Safari forum about the trip with pictures, but took the pictures off the internet during the whole Cecil the lion shenanigans because my boss was paranoid(boss didn't know I had the pictures online, but was just a bit on edge since we do have some business in Africa and what not).

The first trip I took 2 springboks(one gold medal and one bronze), a bronze medal kudu, and a gold medal oryx. We also culled a few animals. One being a pissed off black wildebeest, that was exciting to say the least. I brought two rifles, a Winchester 1895 Teddy Roosevelt edition in .405 winchester and a Browning X-bolt in .375 h&h. I got all the trophies on shoulder mounts. The trophies turned out amazing, the kudu is huge, and they were wildly expensive. I am pretty sure I spent more on the taxidermy/shipping than I did actually hunting them.

This trip I am doing a culling package. So I will be able to take 6 or 7 animals and have the option of keeping one hide per species. I may add a black wildebeest trophy. My dad will be doing a trophy package. He wants a big kudu, a bid eland, a mountain zebra and a burchell zebra. We will spend about a week hunting and then a week touring the country. I'd be happy just staying on the farm the whole two weeks and not seeing any people or "civilization." But it should be cool. I am taking the x-bolt again and leaving the Winchester at home because I don't want to risk it being lost on a second trip. So that is why we got the Marlin. I want to really practice some stalks and get as close as possible, especially since I am not going for a specific trophy, so it takes the pressure off.

We saw a few baboons sitting on road signs driving to/from the airport. I like your idea of having the skull. I joked about wanting a giraffe, I have the perfect staircase for a shoulder mount for one. lol. I have no clue how that would actually work though and how much shipping would be. hahaha.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 3:48:57 PM EDT
[#13]

The reason I want a BW snatch isn't really for anything other than the accomplishment.  When I started I couldn't do overhead squats, or deep squats, much less throw that kind of weight anywhere.  I remember when I hit a bodyweight dead-lift, it was about a year ago I think.

The snatch is my goal because it requires me to regain good shoulder strength and mobility, good movement under the bar, coordination, etc.  It's just been really hard to find somewhere to work on it when I'm traveling.  Now that I'm still nursing a stupid wrist I haven't even been working towards it, but the complexity of my weaknesses in the snatch are exactly why it interests me.  So far it's been the squats that have hurt me...  I think if I can hit a BW snatch it will mean I've fixed most problems with weakness or mobility head to toe, for the most part.

View All Quotes

Double lame.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 3:52:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Did deads today. Dropped my weight way down did 345#6r felt really good.  Then did a single pull at 385#, easy.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 5:02:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By KaiK:

Double lame.
View All Quotes

Double lame.

Lol.  Squats are what I've really done well with, but nothing else is improving as quickly.  It might be due to my nerve damage, I still get occasional short circuits where both legs tighten up insanely tight and I can't walk for a few minutes.  I kinda wonder if that has primed them for really strong contractions.  I was still about to blow my eyes out on that last squat of the pause squats, so it's not like it's all easy either.

Did deads today. Dropped my weight way down did 345#6r felt really good.  Then did a single pull at 385#, easy.  

Still using those fat grips?  I want to work on grip strength and wondered how you liked those.

Link Posted: 5/6/2016 5:56:01 PM EDT
[#16]

Lol.  Squats are what I've really done well with, but nothing else is improving as quickly.  It might be due to my nerve damage, I still get occasional short circuits where both legs tighten up insanely tight and I can't walk for a few minutes.  I kinda wonder if that has primed them for really strong contractions.  I was still about to blow my eyes out on that last squat of the pause squats, so it's not like it's all easy either.

Still using those fat grips?  I want to work on grip strength and wondered how you liked those.

View All Quotes

Double lame.

Not on deads. That would be mega hard. I have them on my curl bar. Did some today. I have fat pullup bar now. I use that instead.

Link Posted: 5/6/2016 7:25:07 PM EDT
[#17]
My schedule got all messed up with Mother's day this weekend,  I have to do Bench Press pay and Squats day... on the same day.

Might cut down on the assistance exercises...
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 10:56:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dolor] [#18]
Hey if I identify as a women, can I compete in the women's powerlifting division?

Probably still wouldn't win, lol.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 11:20:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By HALFNATTYGAINZ:
Hey if I identify as a women, can I compete in the women's powerlifting division?

Probably still wouldn't win, lol.
View Quote

They have to because New Merica. I wouldn't either.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 11:01:11 AM EDT
[#20]
If Your Dad is going to Namibia, he should think about hunting a Damara Dik Dik. It's the only place in the world that You can hunt them. Who knows if they will be huntable in the future with the way things are going with the international wildlife eco-nuts.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 11:04:12 AM EDT
[#21]

This will be my second trip there and his third. He went in 2012 the first time, then I went with him in 2014, and we are going again this July. I had a thread in the Safari forum about the trip with pictures, but took the pictures off the internet during the whole Cecil the lion shenanigans because my boss was paranoid(boss didn't know I had the pictures online, but was just a bit on edge since we do have some business in Africa and what not).

The first trip I took 2 springboks(one gold medal and one bronze), a bronze medal kudu, and a gold medal oryx. We also culled a few animals. One being a pissed off black wildebeest, that was exciting to say the least. I brought two rifles, a Winchester 1895 Teddy Roosevelt edition in .405 winchester and a Browning X-bolt in .375 h&h. I got all the trophies on shoulder mounts. The trophies turned out amazing, the kudu is huge, and they were wildly expensive. I am pretty sure I spent more on the taxidermy/shipping than I did actually hunting them.

This trip I am doing a culling package. So I will be able to take 6 or 7 animals and have the option of keeping one hide per species. I may add a black wildebeest trophy. My dad will be doing a trophy package. He wants a big kudu, a bid eland, a mountain zebra and a burchell zebra. We will spend about a week hunting and then a week touring the country. I'd be happy just staying on the farm the whole two weeks and not seeing any people or "civilization." But it should be cool. I am taking the x-bolt again and leaving the Winchester at home because I don't want to risk it being lost on a second trip. So that is why we got the Marlin. I want to really practice some stalks and get as close as possible, especially since I am not going for a specific trophy, so it takes the pressure off.

We saw a few baboons sitting on road signs driving to/from the airport. I like your idea of having the skull. I joked about wanting a giraffe, I have the perfect staircase for a shoulder mount for one. lol. I have no clue how that would actually work though and how much shipping would be. hahaha.
View All Quotes

If Your Dad is going to Namibia, he should think about hunting a Damara Dik Dik. It's the only place in the world that You can hunt them. Who knows if they will be huntable in the future with the way things are going with the international wildlife eco-nuts. Iv'e been to RSA a few times. I got a Rowland ward duiker in 2010. My Dad got a Monster Kudu bull then too. Father/Son Safari's are Epic.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 11:16:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: nyalaman] [#22]
Blind squirrel got some nuts </a>" />
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 5:14:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hizzie] [#23]
Felt awesome today. Went for it.

GM's

Front Squats
135 x 15
185 x 10
225 x 3
255 x 2
285 x 1
305 x 1
325 x 1 PR
275 x 5 rep PR

SLDL
135 x 20
185 x 10,10,10,10
235 x 5,5

Video: 325 x 1 Front Squat

I definitely feel as though the front squat holds helped me keep my upper back tighter.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 5:18:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: nyalaman] [#24]
Hizzie- Nice squat man.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 5:25:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KaiK] [#25]
Originally Posted By Hizzie:
Felt awesome today. Went for it.

GM's

Front Squats
135 x 15
185 x 10
225 x 3
255 x 2
285 x 1
325 x 1 PR
275 x 5 rep PR

SLDL
135 x 20
185 x 10,10,10,10
235 x 5,5

Video: 325 x 1 Front Squat

I definitely feel as though the front squat holds helped me keep my upper back tighter.
View Quote

Crushing it.

You had more.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 6:42:35 PM EDT
[#26]
6 Days out from my meet

Just did 380x3, 405x3, and 435x1, 435x2. I need to focus on keeping my head up. This is all that I did today. I'll post a video later on.

Sun: Bench 3x3 top set should be 3 rep pr set.
Mon: Deadlift 3x3  top set should be 3 rep pr set.
Tues: Bench Deload 3x3 @50%
Wed: Deadlift deload  3x3 @50%
Thur: Bench deload 3x3 @50%
Fri: Squat Deload 3x3 @50%
Sat: COMP!
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 6:57:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Damn nice front squat.

Easily 20lbs more if you tweet your upper back tightness a bit...

----

----

I biked today...  20-25miles... Gps died halfway through.  Spent a lot of time trying to drop into my aero bars... Im a total puss, but managed it eventually. M

Then went screaming down a downhill at 42mph... On an untested bike, in 6year old tires/tubes... In the aero bars...

Balls right there...  

Ran 8m on a trail yesterday, fucked up my ankle...  Fuxk trail running. I'll stick to roads for a while... Don't wanna derail my training.

Swim sometime this week... More biking less running... Maybe a half marsthon(25k actually) Saturday if I can scrounge the $$$

Link Posted: 5/7/2016 7:20:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By darktide:
Damn nice front squat.

----
----

I biked today...  20-25miles... Gps died halfway through.  Spent a lot of time trying to drop into my aero bars... Im a total puss, but managed it eventually. M

Then went screaming down a downhill at 42mph... On an untested bike, in 6year old tires/tubes... In the aero bars...

Balls right there...  

Ran 8m on a trail yesterday, fucked up my ankle...  Fuxk trail running. I'll stick to roads for a while... Don't wanna derail my training.

Swim sometime this week... More biking less running... Maybe a half marsthon(25k actually) Saturday if I can scrounge the $$$

View Quote

Trail running is brutal.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 8:01:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Finished up my first week of 5/3/1. I feel so weak.

I also feel like a fuckin walnut using my Eleiko WL bar to bench press with by what are ya gonna do.

Nice lifting lately from you guys though it looks like
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 8:41:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By RolandofGilead:

I also feel like a fuckin walnut using my Eleiko WL bar to bench press with by what are ya gonna do.

View Quote

A walnut?  . That's pretty funny.  Like a fudd for shooters or a fred for cyclists I guess.

Make room in your garage gym, metalhead, I might be headed your way pretty soon.  You can show me why my clean is 50% of my back squat and snatch is like 12%.

Are you doing a full 5/3/1 or just squats to get your legs back under you?

Link Posted: 5/7/2016 8:45:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RolandofGilead] [#31]

A walnut?  . That's pretty funny.  Like a fudd for shooters or a fred for cyclists I guess.

Make room in your garage gym, metalhead, I might be headed your way pretty soon.  You can show me why my clean is 50% of my back squat and snatch is like 12%.

View All Quotes

Hell yeah man, come on by. When are you headed this way?

I'm doing a full 5/3/1 for at least until I feel like my knee can take the impact of oly again.

ETA- Yeah, walnut. I feel like I can't get a warning for calling someone a walnut...I mean it's not really an insult. However it also kind of conveys some real dumbassery at the same time.

ETA 2- I just found out I'm definitely getting promoted in my weekend warrior gig, and maybe getting promoted in my civilian gig yay me!
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 8:54:30 PM EDT
[#32]

I'm doing a full 5/3/1 for at least until I feel like my knee can take the impact of oly again.
View All Quotes

Not sure.  There's a project for your power company that I've been asked to participate with, but I'm also finally making headway on starting my own company.  If I go out there it will be sometime in April and go through August.  Not quite full time probably- till I quit anyway:
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 8:58:16 PM EDT
[#33]

Not sure.  There's a project for your power company that I've been asked to participate with, but I'm also finally making headway on starting my own company.  If I go out there it will be sometime in April and go through August.  Not quite full time probably- till I quit anyway:
View All Quotes

Cool, well I'll be here
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 9:18:49 PM EDT
[#34]

Cool, well I'll be here
View All Quotes

Cool, well I'll be here

In spite of the cool nice weather and beautiful scenery, I can't wait to get out of Wisconsin.  I'm always on the watch for ticks, poison ivy, poison sumac, wild parsnip (a weed straight from the depths of hell if ever there was one), ticks, Madison liberals, retarded power companies, ticks (I got Lyme disease 7 years ago about 30 miles from where I'm staying)...  

We had a guy on the project last week get into som poison sumac and ended up in the hospital.  I must have walked through some at some point, I think it transferred to my hand when I took my boots off on Tuesday, still burning my hand.

I'm looking forward to being in the blasted wastelands of the California deserts for a while.  Even in the summer.

At least there's a gym.

Link Posted: 5/7/2016 9:47:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Thanks for all the kind words guys.  Been putting in work.

Originally Posted By darktide:
Damn nice front squat.

View Quote

Thanks DT. Been doing heavy front squat holds to work my upper back more.

Link Posted: 5/7/2016 10:53:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Brutal front squat.

Semester is over. Had time to run two miles after the kids soccer game, and catch up on yard work.

DL in the morning.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 11:57:20 PM EDT
[#37]

ETA 2- I just found out I'm definitely getting promoted in my weekend warrior gig, and maybe getting promoted in my civilian gig yay me!
View Quote

Major?
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 1:33:19 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 1:33:46 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 1:35:21 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Hank:
Major asshole, maybe.

Congrats, RoG!
View Quote

I'm going to be like....THE worst field grade officer ever.
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 7:23:37 AM EDT
[#41]

View All Quotes
Major asshole, maybe.

Congrats, RoG!

Doubtful. Very cool, RoG.
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 9:32:30 AM EDT
[#42]

View All Quotes
Major asshole, maybe.

Congrats, RoG!

It's good to start a new position with goals!  

Congrats!
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 10:43:51 AM EDT
[#43]
my wife reminded me this morning, today is 15 years.  Actually tonight at about 8:30pm mountain time is the moment.  I think I'll find some BBQ for dinner to celebrate.

Link Posted: 5/8/2016 10:47:25 AM EDT
[#44]
Need the story SCW.
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 10:50:45 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By flinch08:
Need the story SCW.
View Quote

I had saved the thread links, but don't see them now.
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 11:00:00 AM EDT
[#46]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By flinch08:
Need the story SCW.

I had to google it.  Been in the archives for a while now.  My daughter just had another surgery on her hand so she doesn't have the big webs between fingers and thumb.  Stitches are out, now she has to stretch it....  Ouch.

Burn story and pics
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 11:19:49 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 11:21:18 AM EDT
[#48]
my wife reminded me this morning, today is 15 years.  Actually tonight at about 8:30pm mountain time is the moment.  I think I'll find some BBQ for dinner to celebrate.

<a href="http://s981.photobucket.com/user/SCW-Shooter/media/Mobile%20Uploads/7BAA39D7-A7A9-44FB-9577-E9C01722011B.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i981.photobucket.com/albums/ae294/SCW-Shooter/Mobile%20Uploads/7BAA39D7-A7A9-44FB-9577-E9C01722011B.jpg</a>
View Quote

You've come a long way.
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 11:58:13 AM EDT
[#49]
Wow. That is some really emotional stuff to read through.

What a story.

Link Posted: 5/8/2016 12:15:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SCW] [#50]
Thanks gents.  It took me 7 months to make a fist after that, I tried to go back to work driving a milk truck (lived on a corporate dairy and beef farm) but couldn't do it.  Spent the next few years hoping there was enough food for dinner and the wife and I went to bed hungry at times.  Got through school though and now I look back and am so happy I didn't stay in the agricultural industry.  I like having my own cattle, just not making a living off them.

Lots of water under the bridge in 15 years.  Three days before that was the first time I'd ever shot an AR.  I liked it

Page / 769
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top