BCM
User Panel

Page / 769
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 12:38:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SCW:
Hizzie-

+100lbs chins?  That's sweet.  Is that a PR?

Even the lawyers bulging biceps can't do that

My first day of upper body work in a month was yesterday and today my wrist really hurts.  Decided to do pause squats, below parallel but off the very bottom, 3 second rest.  Made it to 275 when my wrist suddenly hated squats too, so I'm going to rest until that stupid 5k Saturday morning and squatting with the Juggernaut folks that night.  With ample aleive I should be fine.

View Quote

Next time you do pause squats, try this and tell me what you think:

The number of seconds you pause at the bottom is whatever number rep you're on. 5th rep- 5 sec, etc

My buddy and I did that for 3x8 @ 225 after our main squat session and god we were smoked at the end
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 12:46:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Solid bench session last night with nonshoulder pain.

Solid grappling session on Monday with lots of pain, but not from my shoulder.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 3:13:08 PM EDT
[#3]
page....turn it
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 3:23:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By SonofHater36:

The number of seconds you pause at the bottom is whatever number rep you're on. 5th rep- 5 sec, etc

My buddy and I did that for 3x8 @ 225 after our main squat session and god we were smoked at the end
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Hizzie-

My first day of upper body work in a month was yesterday and today my wrist really hurts.  Decided to do pause squats, below parallel but off the very bottom, 3 second rest.  Made it to 275 when my wrist suddenly hated squats too, so I'm going to rest until that stupid 5k Saturday morning and squatting with the Juggernaut folks that night.  With ample aleive I should be fine.

I'll try it.  I was doing sets of 5 with 3 second pause, did 135, 225 and 4 of them at 275 and my ass is pretty sore today.  

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 3:46:16 PM EDT
[#5]

I'll try it.  I was doing sets of 5 with 3 second pause, did 135, 225 and 4 of them at 275 and my ass is pretty sore today.  

View All Quotes
Hizzie-

I did a 10RM pause squat the other day and was surprised at how little I could do.  Got to 300 and was done.  No belt of course, and about a 3 second pause.  To start off, ATG is easier than parallel, but when you get to heavier weight, it gets harder because you can't get back up.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 4:01:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By LawyerUp:

I did a 10RM pause squat the other day and was surprised at how little I could do.  Got to 300 and was done.  No belt of course, and about a 3 second pause.  To start off, ATG is easier than parallel, but when you get to heavier weight, it gets harder because you can't get back up.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By LawyerUp:
Hizzie-

Shit.

Now I have to see if I can hit a 10 -rep pause squat?    Maybe a far lighter weights than you, but I'll try it.  I went to the gym yesterday just to try out a bunch of things and see if it hurt my wrist, 20lb dumbbell hurt just to pick up, but laying tricep extensions were ok.  Did a 3km row the other day, that hurt more than just the wrist.  I can tell all the squats and nothing else for last month have gotten me some gains on the squat again.

Maybe next month I'll do paused overhead squats, then at least I know they'll be really light

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 4:07:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Hizzie-

View Quote

Thanks Bro. I've hit 105 for a double before, but that was pre AC separation. I'm hoping to stay healthy and keep my training on track for some serious strength gains.  
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 5:29:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Flashover343] [#8]
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 6:21:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I think I might do a couple cycles of 5/3/1 to regain some strength. I was stronger while oly lifting but I don't think I'm up to the volume it took to get that strong right now. I'm also just a bit leery of the explosive movements while the knee is still healing. Powerlifting may be better for a while.

So...5/3/1 seems to make sense. Any other suggestions for regaining strength after knee surgery? Anything you guys think will be better?
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 6:36:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By RolandofGilead:
I think I might do a couple cycles of 5/3/1 to regain some strength. I was stronger while oly lifting but I don't think I'm up to the volume it took to get that strong right now. I'm also just a bit leery of the explosive movements while the knee is still healing. Powerlifting may be better for a while.

So...5/3/1 seems to make sense. Any other suggestions for regaining strength after knee surgery? Anything you guys think will be better?
View Quote

Ive been doing squat every day since wiping out on the ski slope and hurting my knee, been working pretty good since I was down for almost 6 months its like beginners gains all over again. Might switch to 5/3/1 for summer though.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 7:19:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Flashover343:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BDQ4kD2SSKD/?taken-by=stay_tactical

Username???

View Quote

That's new.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 8:19:52 PM EDT
[#12]
22:39 5k in minimalist shoes today.

Only had my merrels and some dirty gym clothing after work. Didn't think I'd have time to get anything in. Legs hurt after that one...

Fastest 5k I've run...

Cold and rainy...

-

-

-

Swim tomorrow am... Maybe some oly skill work and a 2 hour cycling session tomorrow pm.  1-2hr cycle and 1hr run Saturday.  Swim or skill work and a 30minute run Sunday...

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:22:54 PM EDT
[#13]

Originally Posted By AnvilUSMC:
That's new.
View All Quotes

Username???

That's new.
I have wanted to do something similar at the range...get the old heart rate up then pewpewpewwww

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:56:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By therex:
I have wanted to do something similar at the range...get the old heart rate up then pewpewpewwww  
View All Quotes

Username???

That's new.

That makes sense. Simulating stress, etc. I guess this is just a variation of that. But he is using a pad on the bar... So it's still funny.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 8:23:59 AM EDT
[#15]
He's also got a video of him doing pushups gripping pistols...pressing the muzzles into the floor
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 8:27:00 AM EDT
[#16]
I hit 275 x5 for squats last night, an all time PR for myself

Pretty stoked about that.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 9:19:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By keeyote:

View Quote

Congrats!  You should be able to comfortably squat 3 plates then, have you tested your max?

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 9:35:18 AM EDT
[#18]

Congrats!  You should be able to comfortably squat 3 plates then, have you tested your max?

View All Quotes

Not yet. The local gym has a 1000lb (S/b/d) club that you can qualify for and get some free stuff (shirt, shaker, stickers, ect).  Right now I'm concentrating on getting my working sets higher to make it. I'm hoping that I can make it in 8 weeks. Pulled 365 earlier int the week for a single, I may have 385.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 9:57:11 AM EDT
[#19]

He's also got a video of him doing pushups gripping pistols...pressing the muzzles into the floor
View Quote
That's...real retarded, sir.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 9:57:29 AM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 10:23:09 AM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

That's pretty awesome.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 10:49:00 AM EDT
[#22]
I read through that gastric bypass/sleeve thread in GD this morning.  That's the most depressing thread I've ever read.

Even more so because I happened to buy a book about habits at the airport and read 2/3rds of it yesterday, so I'm thinking of these habits and self control issues that are rampant.

On a side note, there was a chapter about ambition/will and how it must be trained like a muscle.  Weight lifting was one example given of how a person is training their will as much as their body.  Made me want to sit down and add some 'will training' for the kids.  Turns out self control is also like a muscle and has to be developed, and after a few instances of exhibiting self control it becomes harder to keep doing it.  

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 10:50:59 AM EDT
[#23]
I read through that gastric bypass/sleeve thread in GD this morning.  That's the most depressing thread I've ever read.

Even more so because I happened to buy a book about habits at the airport and read 2/3rds of it yesterday, so I'm thinking of these habits and self control issues that are rampant.

On a side note, there was a chapter about ambition/will and how it must be trained like a muscle.  Weight lifting was one example given of how a person is training their will as much as their body.  Made me want to sit down and add some 'will training' for the kids.  Turns out self control is also like a muscle and has to be developed, and after a few instances of exhibiting self control it becomes harder to keep doing it.  

View Quote

Saw the thread...haven't clicked on it yet because it GD and all...
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 10:52:22 AM EDT
[#24]
View All Quotes

Username???

That's new.

The range I work at is 4 miles away. On a nice day I plan on running in, shooting the meggit target scenarios, then running home.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 10:57:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By darktide:

Only had my merrels and some dirty gym clothing after work. Didn't think I'd have time to get anything in. Legs hurt after that one...
Fastest 5k I've run...

Cold and rainy...

-
-
-

Swim tomorrow am... Maybe some oly skill work and a 2 hour cycling session tomorrow pm.  1-2hr cycle and 1hr run Saturday.  Swim or skill work and a 30minute run Sunday...

View Quote

Congrats on 5k pr

Im always impressed by your workload. Professionaly and gym wise. Do you ever scedule time off or take it when you feel you need it or just always go?
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 4:04:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By 03RN:
Congrats on 5k pr

Im always impressed by your workload. Professionaly and gym wise. Do you ever scedule time off or take it when you feel you need it or just always go?
View Quote

DT is not human. He's a cybernetic organism. Living tissue over a metal endoskeleton.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 4:18:44 PM EDT
[#27]

View All Quotes

It was just really depressing to see how many people know others who have had GB surgery.  It's like getting a nose cauterized, no big deal.  Don't bother dealing with the significant mental health issues that cause these problems with will, habits, self control and even lead to suicidal eating, but whatever.

Fortunately most of GD was in the camp of get some self control and stay away from the knife, but who the hell doesn't already know that?  

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 4:19:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Da bump

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 4:58:54 PM EDT
[#29]

It was just really depressing to see how many people know others who have had GB surgery.  It's like getting a nose cauterized, no big deal.  Don't bother dealing with the significant mental health issues that cause these problems with will, habits, self control and even lead to suicidal eating, but whatever.

Fortunately most of GD was in the camp of get some self control and stay away from the knife, but who the hell doesn't already know that?  

View All Quotes

I clicked...I see what you mean.

Not only how many got the surgery...but how many reverted back (or bigger)

I've watched My 600lb Life on TV...it's crazy how these people think they are dependent on the surgery.  Dr says..."loose 50lbs on your own" and when they are only at 30lbs they panic "If Dr Now won't perform the surgery...I don't know what I'll do, there is no hope for me" .  Then they loose a ton, but not enough for skin reduction surgery...same panic
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 5:46:53 PM EDT
[#30]

I've watched My 600lb Life on TV...it's crazy how these people think they are dependent on the surgery.  Dr says..."loose 50lbs on your own" and when they are only at 30lbs they panic "If Dr Now won't perform the surgery...I don't know what I'll do, there is no hope for me" .  Then they loose a ton, but not enough for skin reduction surgery...same panic
View All Quotes

Funny you mention that- I don't have TV (other than netflix) at home and saw about 5 minutes of My 600 Life the other day on TV at the hotel.  

Like this the whole 5 min...

I have little respect for anyone that is a complete slave to gluttony.  No doctor is going to flip a switch and fix their kind of stupid.  

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 8:10:48 PM EDT
[#31]
No advice on my earlier question? 5/3/1 then?
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 8:20:04 PM EDT
[#32]
View Quote

Off topic hijack. Start your own thread.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 8:21:29 PM EDT
[#33]
View Quote

Fuck, I have no business giving advice to a guy as strong as you, but 5/3/1 is always the answer for building strength.

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 8:22:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CLICKBANGBANG] [#34]

View Quote

I love doing 5/3/1 and am in my 3rd cycle now. I can't help with the knee surgery. But I'd take it light for as long as you can stand. It would suck to see you get hurt worse.

What does the doc say? On usage, weight, ect?
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 8:52:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By CLICKBANGBANG:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CLICKBANGBANG:

lol. I should probably eject myself from this thread then...

I'm stoked though. My Inzer lever belt came today. Only took around 8 weeks. It's freaking awesome. Deadlifts tomorrow. Can't wait.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 9:08:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By flinch08:

Fuck, I have no business giving advice to a guy as strong as you, but 5/3/1 is always the answer for building strength.

View All Quotes

Well, I'm not strong now. Knee is feeling ok, I'm cleared to start lifting. Have been doing some random shit for the last 2 weeks just to test the waters. I think I'll do 5/3/1 but thought it might be a good idea to get some input maybe from other guys that have recovered from something similar to see if there's a better option.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 9:57:50 PM EDT
[#37]

Well, I'm not strong now. Knee is feeling ok, I'm cleared to start lifting. Have been doing some random shit for the last 2 weeks just to test the waters. I think I'll do 5/3/1 but thought it might be a good idea to get some input maybe from other guys that have recovered from something similar to see if there's a better option.
View All Quotes

All I can say after a lifetime of construction work, and seeing numerous people get broke and repaired, is to take it slow. You know your potential, don't get in a hurry to go 110%. Slow and steady wins the race, and 5/3/1 is geared toward just that.

I saw the strongest guy I personally know today after quite a while. Man, he is getting really big. Didn't have time to talk numbers, but he must be nearing a 1500# total. On a bad day he moves 1000#, and he is far bigger than the last time I saw him. Told him I had to take six weeks off for a shoulder injury and lost some ground. Told me he does it regularly to let his body heal completely. Thought that was interesting.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:10:11 AM EDT
[#38]
Thanks guys.

Well... My workload fluctuates. When I'm not in the hospital I have more free time.

Starting July/August... It'll be pretty stable and awesome working like 8-4 m-f...

As far as regulation of work/recovery.  I reload every 3rd week on weight stuff.  And now that I'm shifting into endurance mode for the summer... I'm capping my top end power at 500/300/600. And working based off of percents of these.... We will keep my reps 8-10... Percents at 60's or so... This will help minimize the impact the strength stuff has on my endurance stuff.  Every 4-5weeks I dial back the distance on runs by 20-30% and re progress.  This seems to help reduce injuries for my big ass.

Primary goal is to preserve strength. Develop some Olympic skill. And make an hour of swimming, 3 hours of biking and 2 hours of running something relatively tolerable to do in a day...

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 12:22:53 PM EDT
[#39]

View All Quotes

I'm probably going to an aging doctor when I'm back home for a few weeks in a row, the more I read about HGH the more I think a long term low dose will help my knee and shoulder.  You might look into that too.  The hard part is getting it, apparently the underground stuff is cheaper but frequently fake, pharma stuff is great but super spendy and you have to convince a doc to prescribe it.  I've been looking into it for a while and would really like to do it, just can't find a source I trust and don't spend enough time at home to get to a doc.

Basically, steroids build muscle but tend to weaken connective tissue, HGH builds connective tissue and a zillion other benefits.

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 12:23:16 PM EDT
[#40]

View Quote

If you haven't read it...Henry Rollins

Makes some great points.  I consider most of my success in life as a direct result of my father getting me into lifting and training at 11.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 12:31:31 PM EDT
[#41]

I'm probably going to an aging doctor when I'm back home for a few weeks in a row, the more I read about HGH the more I think a long term low dose will help my knee and shoulder.  You might look into that too.  The hard part is getting it, apparently the underground stuff is cheaper but frequently fake, pharma stuff is great but super spendy and you have to convince a doc to prescribe it.  I've been looking into it for a while and would really like to do it, just can't find a source I trust and don't spend enough time at home to get to a doc.

Basically, steroids build muscle but tend to weaken connective tissue, HGH builds connective tissue and a zillion other benefits.

View All Quotes

I'm starting TRT soon, and I think that should help as well.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 1:16:46 PM EDT
[#42]

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 3:31:43 PM EDT
[#43]
View Quote

Yeah, that won't encourage you to outrun your connective tissue at all...  

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 5:50:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CrazyWhiteGuy] [#44]

View All Quotes

It's the best recovery/strength building program. The guy who put me onto it had two shoulder surgeries I think. I couldn't find a program that would get me more than 3 months before retearing/injuring something. Knee, shoulder, both wrists and neck.

The hardest part about it for me was the incredibly low weight and slow pace of increasing weight (at times) But after a year I have at least doubled all my lifts (from he post injury weight I could put up) without any new injuries.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:49:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By CrazyWhiteGuy:

It's the best recovery/strength building program. The guy who put me onto it had two shoulder surgeries I think. I couldn't find a program that would get me more than 3 months before retearing/injuring something. Knee, shoulder, both wrists and neck.

The hardest part about it for me was the incredibly low weight and slow pace of increasing weight (at times) But after a year I have at least doubled all my lifts (from he post injury weight I could put up) without any new injuries.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CrazyWhiteGuy:

Yeah I'm going to start really light....it'll get boring but I know it'll also pay dividends in the long run.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 12:09:13 AM EDT
[#46]
Wifey hit a 139lb squat which was a PR for her.  I didn't even try to PR after that 5k run earlier, but mostly did some reps at 345 and 355 to work on some of the breathing and bracing cues.  Good class, learned a lot about how he does programming and the theory behind it.

Really nice guys.  Good class with a huge variety of lifters.  One kid was 14 and he was lifting with my wife and just behind me, so I was able to hear the corrections and advise.  That's the biggest thing I was after, the overall wisdom of coaches more than just cleaning up my squat.

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 6:36:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By darktide:

Fastest 5k I've run...

Cold and rainy...

-
-
-

View Quote

That's fast, bro.

How do you like minimalist running?
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 8:00:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Honestly not a fan.

At my size it beats up my feet. My feet and calves were tore up after that.

Not somethings would have done if I had an alternative pair of shoes...

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 8:22:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Squat to 200#. Run 2 @ 10 minutes each.

No shoulder pain whatsoever. Thank goodness, that sucked.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 10:38:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dolor] [#50]
12 days out. I tweaked my lower back which really sucks but it's not terrible. Just can't deadlift too heavy at the moment. I'll be fine by the meet for sure. I took an Epsom salt bath. I don't fit in the fucking tub, could bearly breathe, heart was beating out of my chest and broke out itching like never before. I think I might have had some type of allergic reaction. Seems I had a few hives. "Oh this will help you recover and relax." Bullshit. But I've really never been able to relax so there's that.
Page / 769
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top