BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 769
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 8:30:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By KaiK:

If the trainer taught them anything useful, they wouldn't need a trainer.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MeatBag:
I feel bad for the people at the gym that don't know any better and go to the personal "trainers" to get shitty training workouts for $50 a session on top of their $50 monthly membership.

These "trainers" have each client do the exact same pointless "functional" workout of the day. I'm sure crawling across the floor or trying to air squat on a bosu ball when they can't even squat to depth on the floor will be very beneficial to them.

Also, having to listen to the exact same terrible modern rap / pop music playlist everyday makes me want to choke someone. I swear to god; the next time "my humps" comes on...

Probably very true for most people in corporate gyms. However, when I signed up at my local Golds last year and got my 2 free sales pitches the guy that signed me up set me up with a trainer that actually does bodybuilding. He knew his stuff and destroyed my legs. The cost for the training sessions was unreal though.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 8:43:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By AnvilUSMC:

Probably very true for most people in corporate gyms. However, when I signed up at my local Golds last year and got my 2 free sales pitches the guy that signed me up set me up with a trainer that actually does bodybuilding. He knew his stuff and destroyed my legs. The cost for the training sessions was unreal though.
View All Quotes
I feel bad for the people at the gym that don't know any better and go to the personal "trainers" to get shitty training workouts for $50 a session on top of their $50 monthly membership.

These "trainers" have each client do the exact same pointless "functional" workout of the day. I'm sure crawling across the floor or trying to air squat on a bosu ball when they can't even squat to depth on the floor will be very beneficial to them.

Also, having to listen to the exact same terrible modern rap / pop music playlist everyday makes me want to choke someone. I swear to god; the next time "my humps" comes on...

I have a friend who signed up for some membership. And got 2 training days. I told him to ask the guy to show him squats, bench and deadlift. He showed him leg press, bench machine, curl machine and some ab thing.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 8:59:26 AM EDT
[#3]

Originally Posted By SCW:

I'd be running some of the best projects in the US, so the engineer in me is really excited.

View Quote
Is Mexico paying for it?

Link Posted: 3/31/2016 9:00:00 AM EDT
[#4]

View All Quotes

And it's sad when the trainer looks like they could use a trainer
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 9:12:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Flashover343:

View All Quotes

Too funny. My current gym has a couple intense personal trainers. One of them does one arm pullups, and the other is pretty fucking strong. Both make all their clients squat and deadlift.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 9:15:25 AM EDT
[#6]

I have a friend who signed up for some membership. And got 2 training days. I told him to ask the guy to show him squats, bench and deadlift. He showed him leg press, bench machine, curl machine and some ab thing.
View All Quotes

Figures.

Deadlifts tonight. Pretty excited. I may have eaten a medium pizza last night.... Cut be damned. Still down 11 lbs since the 7th (51 lbs total since this time last year, including a period of 6 months where I didn't lose a pound on the scale but my gut shrank 4-6 inches) and haven't actually started counting calories. Just eating as few carbs as possible(other than the pizza) and doing some cardio on off days. I needed to spend some time on that anyway to build my work capacity back up. I didn't focus enough on that on this last push for more strength.

Had blood drawn on Tues, follow up with the endo this coming Tuesday haven't seen him in 6 months. Going to try and increase my T dose, get on HCG and arimidex. My E2 has been numerically fine, but I can feel it fucking with me. We'll see what he says.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 9:24:56 AM EDT
[#7]
well said.... home gyms rule
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 9:57:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By therex:
Is Mexico paying for it?  
View All Quotes
I'd be running some of the best projects in the US, so the engineer in me is really excited.

Is Mexico paying for it?  

Lol.  That would be the best project in America.  Especially for Phoenix, the kidnapping capital of the US.

Link Posted: 3/31/2016 11:18:17 AM EDT
[#9]
PR day.

325 on the front squat.  Other than lots of back squats and some Olympic lifts, today is the first time I have done front squats in months.

Felt good.

Link Posted: 3/31/2016 11:24:16 AM EDT
[#10]
PR day.

325 on the front squat.  Other than lots of back squats and some Olympic lifts, today is the first time I have done front squats in months.

Felt good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2Pez1tBEtk
View Quote

Nice.  And I wouldn't call that a 1RM.  You came up to fast.  I hit front squats this morning as well.  Sets of 10.  Just terrible.  Worked up to  265, which felt way to heavy to have a 2 in front of it.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 11:34:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By LawyerUp:

Nice.  And I wouldn't call that a 1RM.  You came up to fast.  I hit front squats this morning as well.  Sets of 10.  Just terrible.  Worked up to  265, which felt way to heavy to have a 2 in front of it.
View All Quotes
PR day.

Felt good.

Oh it's a 1rm.  I tried 330 and missed, but I hit my right elbow on my knee as I was dumping it and really got the wrist.  Maybe broken, hurts like hell.

But thanks, when I started I didn't know if I could hit 280, lol.  I just kept adding weight and not counting, after I got the 325 I added it up.

Link Posted: 3/31/2016 11:38:12 AM EDT
[#12]

Oh it's a 1rm.  I tried 330 and missed, but I hit my right elbow on my knee as I was dumping it and really got the wrist.  Maybe broken, hurts like hell.

But thanks, when I started I didn't know if I could hit 280, lol.  I just kept adding weight and not counting, after I got the 325 I added it up.

View All Quotes
PR day.

Felt good.

My last 1RM was 345.  Barely stood it up.  335 went up pretty easy.  There's a wall there somewhere apparently.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 11:42:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Thor] [#13]
Good lift!

One day I'll learn how to front squat. Or blame my femurs. I'm still undecided.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 12:02:01 PM EDT
[#14]

My last 1RM was 345.  Barely stood it up.  335 went up pretty easy.  There's a wall there somewhere apparently.
View All Quotes
PR day.

Felt good.

How long ago did you get 345?  Seems low compared to what you've done on your back squat.  It's 80% of a 430 back squat and I thought you were knocking on the door of 500 for the back squat.

Originally Posted By Th0r:
Good lift!

I like them, I feel like I can be lazy with them where back squats feel like I really have to dig in and go to work.  Weird how the mind is, or mine at least.

Link Posted: 3/31/2016 12:06:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Those who compete in powerlifting, I got a cheap Asics singlet. Is it at all beneficial to get a singlet from a powerlifting company? (metal, sbd, STrong...)
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 12:17:29 PM EDT
[#16]

How long ago did you get 345?  Seems low compared to what you've done on your back squat.  It's 80% of a 430 back squat and I thought you were knocking on the door of 500 for the back squat.

View Quote

That was only a month or two ago.  My 10 rep max on back squat is probably 395 or so.  Judging by this morning, I could probably knock out 10 reps at 295 front squat, so not far off of 80%.  But yeah, I haven't been front squatting as much as I should.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 12:31:17 PM EDT
[#17]

That was only a month or two ago.  My 10 rep max on back squat is probably 395 or so.  Judging by this morning, I could probably knock out 10 reps at 295 front squat, so not far off of 80%.  But yeah, I haven't been front squatting as much as I should.
View All Quotes

Too many laps around the zercher track .  I'd bet that will really help your front squat though.  

So far I've managed to hurt myself twice weight lifting.  A shoulder and a wrist, both from squats . It sucks to hurt and feel stupid at the same time.

Link Posted: 3/31/2016 12:38:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By HALFNATTYGAINZ:
Those who compete in powerlifting, I got a cheap Asics singlet. Is it at all beneficial to get a singlet from a powerlifting company? (metal, sbd, STrong...)
View Quote

I'm not a competitor, but my first thought would be that it doesn't matter. Nice Oly singlets have reinforced thighs and chest where the cheap ones don't. That won't matter with PL.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 12:39:48 PM EDT
[#19]

Too many laps around the zercher track .  I'd bet that will really help your front squat though.  

So far I've managed to hurt myself twice weight lifting.  A shoulder and a wrist, both from squats . It sucks to hurt and feel stupid at the same time.

View All Quotes

This morning I managed to drop an empty 45# bar on both of my feet simultaneously.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 12:42:12 PM EDT
[#20]

This morning I managed to drop an empty 45# bar on both of my feet simultaneously.
View All Quotes

Video?  . I actually have vid of the last lift, but it doesn't show much.

Link Posted: 3/31/2016 12:56:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By RolandofGilead:

I'm not a competitor, but my first thought would be that it doesn't matter. Nice Oly singlets have reinforced thighs and chest where the cheap ones don't. That won't matter with PL.
View All Quotes

My gut tells me it doesn't matter, but I heard someone once say something about how the singlet is cut can sometimes make a squat appear lower.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 1:26:38 PM EDT
[#22]
The big but boring is awesome. I'm dropping the weight after the program lift to just hit 10 reps with maybe one or two left. I'll do 3-4 10 rep sets like that. Then dumbbell work after that. The workout is only 40-50 min. But my chest and arms are fucked up today.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 4:25:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Good lift!

View Quote

Go with the femurs.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 4:29:28 PM EDT
[#24]

Go with the femurs.
View All Quotes
Good lift!

Go with the femurs.

I had a lame squat session on Tuesday. I think my femurs self identify as long now.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 6:49:24 PM EDT
[#25]

My gut tells me it doesn't matter, but I heard someone once say something about how the singlet is cut can sometimes make a squat appear lower.
View All Quotes

I dont know about that but I feel it definitely helps
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 6:49:26 PM EDT
[#26]

Lol.  That would be the best project in America.  Especially for Phoenix, the kidnapping capital of the US.

View All Quotes

Is Mexico paying for it?  

Staying in the transmission world or jumping to big construction?

I'd have to move my family closer.

I don't see how you travel so much now or can consider such commuting. My career has kinda gone backwards but I get to come home every night. Only spent one night on the road in the last two years. I no longer have the sexy job title, but I make enough money and I do what I like. And my boss is awesome.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 9:40:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 11:26:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Wrist not broken, just smacked really bad.  Can't move it much and it hurts like hell, but not even swelling.

Maybe try deadlifts with straps tomorrow
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 11:37:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By frayedknot:

I don't see how you travel so much now or can consider such commuting. My career has kinda gone backwards but I get to come home every night. Only spent one night on the road in the last two years. I no longer have the sexy job title, but I make enough money and I do what I like. And my boss is awesome.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By frayedknot:

Is Mexico paying for it?  

If I work in phx it will be t-line

We don't live in a very hot market but my kids have done really well.  I'll still be working on some marketing and slowly building the construction side too, but that side suffered a setback that will make stuff like eating and paying the mortgage a little tough.

I'll see how the offer works out, I already told them my options are to either starve at home or commute for the time being.  When we moved here we knew I'd have to be a little unorthodox to make it work.

Link Posted: 4/1/2016 9:45:31 AM EDT
[#30]
EMT-I class final passed w/96.6  Now to prep for the State Test

But in the mean time...I can now go back to my regular lifting schedule of M/W/F for the next 5 months.

Gotta make back my gainz for Strongman this August
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 10:10:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Wrist not broken, just smacked really bad.  Can't move it much and it hurts like hell, but not even swelling.

View Quote

Careful.  I broke my wrist and the first xray didn't show it.  Only after I went back a week later did they find it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 10:54:22 AM EDT
[#32]
EMT-I class final passed w/96.6  Now to prep for the State Test

But in the mean time...I can now go back to my regular lifting schedule of M/W/F for the next 5 months.

Gotta make back my gainz for Strongman this August
View Quote

Very nice.

Shoulder is almost 100%. Gonna bench tonight, run Saturday, and try grappling practice Monday.

Hard to believe I screwed myself up that bad.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 11:25:18 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By camarojsmith:

Careful.  I broke my wrist and the first xray didn't show it.  Only after I went back a week later did they find it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By camarojsmith:

Thanks, the PA at the hospital said the same thing, sometimes the break won't show at first.

It hurts today so I'm doing airdyne and some running.  Maybe.  I ended up on narcotics to sleep last night but just ibuprophen today, not sure what to expect.  Part of me really thinks I could have gotten that 330lb front squat and would like to try it again.

Link Posted: 4/1/2016 1:46:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Just called Inzer to follow up on my belt order from 3/6. They are estimating another 3-4 weeks. Current production time for custom orders is estimated at 6-7 weeks. I should have just ordered black.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 1:59:06 PM EDT
[#35]

Just called Inzer to follow up on my belt order from 3/6. They are estimating another 3-4 weeks. Current production time for custom orders is estimated at 6-7 weeks. I should have just ordered black.
View Quote
KaiK knows your pain.  

Link Posted: 4/1/2016 2:09:05 PM EDT
[#36]
KaiK knows your pain.    
View All Quotes
KaiK knows your pain.    

Told you so . . . .
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 3:26:04 PM EDT
[#37]
KaiK knows your pain.    
View All Quotes
KaiK knows your pain.    

Just hip pain now.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 3:48:47 PM EDT
[#38]

Just hip pain now.
View All Quotes
KaiK knows your pain.    

Just hip pain now.

I have that too.

I am stoked on the red white and blue belt though. I am the sort of person that just wears plain shirts and what not, not flashy at all. But I saw that red white and blue belt and it spoke to me for some reason.

I'm not too worried about the belt not being here yet though. Right now I am focusing a bit more on hypertrophy and work capacity. So by the time the belt gets here I will have a few weeks to get used to it before I make another run at boosting my 1RM PRs. Last night I pulled 3 or 4 sets of 10 with 4 plates with no belt. Felt good. Labs came back from my blood draw on tuesday. My E2 is a hair out of range on the high side. So that should get fixed in a few days.

Bench press tomorrow. I think I'll hit 3 plates for some reps and when that starts hurting good slap the slingshot on and hit more reps up there. Then ditch the sling shot and hit some hypertrophy work on the way down.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 8:33:43 PM EDT
[#39]

I have that too.

I am stoked on the red white and blue belt though. I am the sort of person that just wears plain shirts and what not, not flashy at all. But I saw that red white and blue belt and it spoke to me for some reason.

I'm not too worried about the belt not being here yet though. Right now I am focusing a bit more on hypertrophy and work capacity. So by the time the belt gets here I will have a few weeks to get used to it before I make another run at boosting my 1RM PRs. Last night I pulled 3 or 4 sets of 10 with 4 plates with no belt. Felt good. Labs came back from my blood draw on tuesday. My E2 is a hair out of range on the high side. So that should get fixed in a few days.

Bench press tomorrow. I think I'll hit 3 plates for some reps and when that starts hurting good slap the slingshot on and hit more reps up there. Then ditch the sling shot and hit some hypertrophy work on the way down.
View All Quotes
KaiK knows your pain.    

Just hip pain now.

I have that too.

Inzer belts are well worth the wait. You'll be more than happy with it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 8:35:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Hit some box squats today. Did some PT on my hip, wanted to see how it felt.
5x3
All felt great, no belt. Hips are feeling really good. I was supposed to do some speed deadlifts but the platforms were taken.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 8:44:05 PM EDT
[#41]
The kid and I benched. Did some miscellaneous shoulder work and band pull apart series. Felt good. Weak.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 9:42:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Thor] [#42]
5x3
All felt great, no belt. Hips are feeling really good. I was supposed to do some speed deadlifts but the platforms were taken.
View Quote

You recently switched stance, right? I know you have a squat vid here somewhere, can't find it, but have you resesrched "butt wink"? When I switched to a wide stance, I also had hip pain. It was due to that. Fixed my form and all was good.
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 5:51:28 PM EDT
[#43]

You recently switched stance, right? I know you have a squat vid here somewhere, can't find it, but have you resesrched "butt wink"? When I switched to a wide stance, I also had hip pain. It was due to that. Fixed my form and all was good.
View All Quotes
5x3

Yes, I have a few videos up. I often video lifts to see how they went. If my back is rounded, elbow flare... etc. I've never had a problem with "butt wink" so I know very little. My hip pain was mainly due to tight quads.
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 6:25:10 PM EDT
[#44]
I'm off to go do some 1 board presses. Never done them before so we'll see how they go.
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 7:29:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Who do you guys follow on YouTube? What's your favorite bro channel, how to, or whatever to watch? Anything good worth seeing?

I need something to do on rest day.
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 7:33:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By CLICKBANGBANG:
Who do you guys follow on YouTube? What's your favorite bro channel, how to, or whatever to watch? Anything good worth seeing?

View Quote

Powerlifting?
Super training, elitefts, George leeman, Pete rubbish,
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 7:38:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Supertraining06 is probably the best lifted related channel. Watch the Ed Coan video if you haven't
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 7:43:01 PM EDT
[#48]

Powerlifting?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CLICKBANGBANG:

Powerlifting?

There we go! Thanks. Power lifting, body building, bro engineering, or whatever... Just no crossfit. I don't swing that way.

Super training is in West Sac and has a open class that Mike is putting on starting next week. I wanted to jump in, but it's in the evenings and I can't make that time slot. Kinda sucks. That might have been cool to do. I would have been the 98#weakling in the class, but fuck it. I still would have gone.
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 7:47:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SCW] [#49]
I still can't use the wrist much so I lifted with the kids today.  Actually I took them on a trip inside the pain cave.

I had my oldest son jump up 7lbs over his scheduled weights on the squat, from 86 to 95lbs.  They each do 4 sets of 5 then an AMRAP at the same weight for me to be able to gauge how they are doing- if they can't get many we slow down their rate of increase, if they start getting 8-9 reps we increase the rate.

Anyway, Ben jumped from 86 to 95, but he was feeling like the bar was heavy so in the middle of the sets I added 20lbs and just had him unrack, hold and rack so the 95 felt lighter.  I also had him squat barefoot as he was wobbling all over.  By the end of it he managed to get 9 reps at 95, but he was really mad at me.  He was getting three reps for his AMRAP at 86, so he was really feeling the burn and learning what it's like to push hard.  The emotional strain was actually the hardest for him, he physically could have kept going but had totally lost concentration and collapsed.  

Then son #2 got his turn.  Same story, I pushed him till his concentration broke, he did a 3lb increase and got an extra 1 rep compared to his previous lifts (65lbs for 4x5 +7 vs 62lbs for 4x5 +6), but it still took him right to the edge of crying.  

They both felt great after calming down, and they both agreed that was the best lifting session they've had.  Awesome.  I reminded them that all I did was encourage them to see what they could actually do and prove to them that they are a lot tougher than they think.    Headed out with my daughter to do the same thing in about an hour.

They don't know it yet, but I'm now looking for a Prowler or something similar for us to really start working on the mental aspect of being tough.  Frankly I need it as much as they do, should be fun.

Link Posted: 4/2/2016 7:50:42 PM EDT
[#50]
I still can't use the wrist much so I lifted with the kids today.  Actually I took them on a trip inside the pain cave.

I had my oldest son jump up 5lbs over his scheduled weights on the squat, from 86 to 95lbs.  They each do 4 sets of 5 then an AMRAP at the same weight for me to be able to gauge how they are doing- if they can't get many we slow down their rate of increase, if they start getting 8-9 reps we increase the rate.

Anyway, Ben jumped from 86 to 95, but he was feeling like the bar was heavy so in the middle of the sets I added 20lbs and just had him unrack, hold and rack so the 95 felt lighter.  I also had him squat barefoot as he was wobbling all over.  By the end of it he managed to get 9 reps at 95, but he was really mad at me.  He was getting three reps for his AMRAP at 86, so he was really feeling the burn and learning what it's like to push hard.  The emotional strain was actually the hardest for him, he physically could have kept going but had totally lost concentration and collapsed.  

Then son #2 got his turn.  Same story, I pushed him till his concentration broke, he did a 3lb increase and got an extra 1 rep compared to his previous lifts (65lbs for 4x5 +7 vs 62lbs for 4x5 +6), but it still took him right to the edge of crying.  

They both felt great after calming down, and they both agreed that was the best lifting session they've had.  Awesome.  I reminded them that all I did was encourage them to see what they could actually do and prove to them that they are a lot tougher than they think.    Headed out with my daughter to do the same thing in about an hour.

They don't know it yet, but I'm now looking for a Prowler or something similar for us to really start working on the mental aspect of being tough.  Frankly I need it as much as they do, should be fun.

View Quote

You missed Snowla Warrior.
Page / 769
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top