BCM
User Panel

Page / 769
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 7:39:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MeatBag:

Benching is gay

But seriously, no matter what I do, I only feel the bench press in my shoulders. Like it puts an uncomfortable amount of pressure on them. I've watched every benching vid I can find; but nothing seems to make it feel better.

I have long ass limbs, which probably doesn't help. That's also why I've gone back to focusing on the front squat. It feels more natural and allows me to remain more upright
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By KaiK:
Going to start percentage based training, so I tested some maxes.

Bodyweight 157
Front squat 225x3
OHP 135
Deadlift 345

Squats and press were bodyweight PRs. Pretty sure I've done 365 DL around this weight; but this was the most I've pulled hook grip. So that's technically an all time PR, right?

I was a little surprised squats went as well as they did. I mainly wanted to get 225 for a single. I must've been able to harness some of RoG's essence through these shoes for extra power

I don't see bench press in there.

Benching is gay

But seriously, no matter what I do, I only feel the bench press in my shoulders. Like it puts an uncomfortable amount of pressure on them. I've watched every benching vid I can find; but nothing seems to make it feel better.

I have long ass limbs, which probably doesn't help. That's also why I've gone back to focusing on the front squat. It feels more natural and allows me to remain more upright

Stop doing bench wrong.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 8:16:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 8:16:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 8:59:22 AM EDT
[#4]

Benching is gay

View All Quotes
Going to start percentage based training, so I tested some maxes.

Bodyweight 157
Front squat 225x3
OHP 135
Deadlift 345

Squats and press were bodyweight PRs. Pretty sure I've done 365 DL around this weight; but this was the most I've pulled hook grip. So that's technically an all time PR, right?

I was a little surprised squats went as well as they did. I mainly wanted to get 225 for a single. I must've been able to harness some of RoG's essence through these shoes for extra power

I don't see bench press in there.

Benching is gay

Have you ever had or considered getting a competent coach to work with you? We aren't always the best at critiquing ourselves or making the necessary adjustments.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 9:28:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Did a "sort of strongman" comp this past weekend. Only three competitors in my group. I was both the oldest and the lightest, but it was a razor-thin margin on almost every event.

We finished with 19 20 and 21 points, all with some questionable timekeeping. I got smashed out of the gate though with some dude pulling 585 on the deadlift for the first event. Everything else I held my own, or there was literally a second between the three of us. (Seriously 2 out of the 5 events had a two second spread between slowest and fastest)

Everything was very close...until the Farmer Carry/Sled Push medley.

210 per hand, 25 yards, then push 8 plates on a sled back. On astroturf.

I did it in 44 seconds, a minute faster than the next fastest guy. It was no contest. I was the fastest in that event in any class of the day, which made me feel nice. I was also fastest at the yoke carry, at 525, which made me feel good. Not enough to win, though. :(
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 10:15:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SCW] [#6]
Volume squats-

135 x 20
225 x 15
275 x 10
295 x 10
305 x 10

Pause squats at 225

Maybe it was the lighter weight in combination with the stretching but it was easy to get full depth with my wider stance today.  Hoping my intensity day later in the week goes as well, I'll keep working on mobility through the week.  I do think the wider stance is a little stronger but my knee bothers me more now.  Could be coincidence.

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 10:52:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By therex:
Did a "sort of strongman" comp this past weekend. Only three competitors in my group. I was both the oldest and the lightest, but it was a razor-thin margin on almost every event.

We finished with 19 20 and 21 points, all with some questionable timekeeping. I got smashed out of the gate though with some dude pulling 585 on the deadlift for the first event. Everything else I held my own, or there was literally a second between the three of us. (Seriously 2 out of the 5 events had a two second spread between slowest and fastest)

I did it in 44 seconds, a minute faster than the next fastest guy. It was no contest. I was the fastest in that event in any class of the day, which made me feel nice. I was also fastest at the yoke carry, at 525, which made me feel good. Not enough to win, though. :(
View Quote

Sounds like a good time.  What'd you pull?
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 2:02:36 PM EDT
[#8]

Originally Posted By LawyerUp:

View All Quotes

I just did 455. I loaded up 495, looked over at dudebro pulling 585, said "fuck it, not gonna hurt myself."

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 3:21:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Oh crap.  So sore today, even sitting in an office chair hurts.  "Sorry I couldn't call you today, I did squats 6 hours ago and I just don't feel up to a telephone conversation."

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 3:25:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I just did 455. I loaded up 495, looked over at dudebro pulling 585, said "fuck it, not gonna hurt myself."  
View All Quotes

Roger that.  Good call.

Did some SSB good mornings this morning.  Lowered down to a seated on a bench, then stood back up each rep.  I think I like that a lot.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 3:33:26 PM EDT
[#11]
I went to Paul Howe's shooting school, Combat Shooting and Tactics, over the weekend. I ran a milled receiver AK in 762x39.

Fuck am I sore!

One of the big drills is the Scrambler. I ran it partnered with a young twenty-something female. She claimed she was "just a college student."  She was a shooting machine and a rabbit, sprinting everywhere.  We posted a 9:15 time for the course. I didn't miss a single rifle shot. Why in the fuck I couldn't perform like that without adrenaline and breathing hard I don't know.

Great weekend. Great time with friends. Great training.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 3:58:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Hizzie:
I went to Paul Howe's shooting school, Combat Shooting and Tactics, over the weekend. I ran a milled receiver AK in 762x39.

Fuck am I sore!

One of the big drills is the Scrambler. I ran it partnered with a young twenty-something female. She claimed she was "just a college student."  She was a shooting machine and a rabbit, sprinting everywhere.  We posted a 9:15 time for the course. I didn't miss a single rifle shot. Why in the fuck I couldn't perform like that without adrenaline and breathing hard I don't know.

View Quote

That sounds like a lot of fun.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 9:47:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Hizzie:

Fuck am I sore!

View Quote

Sounds like a hell of a good time!
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 9:53:33 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm pretty sore and exhausted myself....I went street riding last Wednesday through Sunday all through the Ozark twisties. We had a great time and while its not nearly as hard on the body as dirt riding, running hard through the corners takes it toll. I did make it to the gym tonight, went well but still pretty light and easy.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:32:44 AM EDT
[#15]
135lb front squats 10x5 with 1:00 rest between each set

I never realized how much front squats actually hit the hamstrings and glutes. So ded
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 10:43:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Some incline bench this morning.  135/155/205/225/235/245 x 5

Here's my last set.  My ass came up on that last one.

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 12:01:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Now on 180mg/week.

I think I lost a vile. I am all out and they won't refill until next week.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 12:07:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AnvilUSMC] [#18]
Now on 180mg/week.

View Quote

They won't call your dr to ok a new fill? If they won't I would have your dr call in the Rx to a new pharmacy that isn't such a pita. Also, you may want to ask your dr to do the order for the 10ml vial.

edit: if you can't get them to ok or do a new fill, maybe the dr office can just give you the shot for this week so they know there's no funny business.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 12:51:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Now on 180mg/week.

View Quote

Losing vile means you're staying out of GD.  Losing a vial means instant weakness and sluggishness.

180/week is just about right for me.  Even better when I started injecting SubQ instead of IM, it seemed like I need a lot less SubQ.  Are you still trying to lose weight?  I decided to crank my dose up almost to RoG levels and I've gained some water weight over the last week.  Hit a new high score on the bathroom scale

If I were you I'd stay on the 180mg/week dose as far as the doc is concerned but actually cut it back to 150 and go SubQ.  You probably won't feel any different other than less E problems and it will allow you to slowly bank up some extra T vials.

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 12:56:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By SCW:
 I decided to crank my dose up almost to RoG levels

View Quote

Shit is bonkers man

I'm going to try test prop next...I'd like to try Sub Q, but am a little concerned with the pain levels since test prop is supposed to be more painful already
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 1:10:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By RolandofGilead:

Shit is bonkers man

I'm going to try test prop next...I'd like to try Sub Q, but am a little concerned with the pain levels since test prop is supposed to be more painful already
View All Quotes

Shit is bonkers man

I'm still a lot lower that where you were/are (are you still way up there?)

There is definitely more pain SubQ, but it's not that bad.  I pin first thing in the morning and if I'm doing squats that day the belt can hit right on the spot and I'll really feel it, but as soon as I start squatting it not noticeable anyway.  Oddly enough the worst pain is when I accidentally go a bit too deep and just sort of get into the muscle under the belly fat.  I get a painful little lump that can last a day or two.  For the most part the pain is gone in 30 minutes or so.  Longer than IM for sure, but not a big deal at all.

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 1:14:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By AnvilUSMC:

They won't call your dr to ok a new fill? If they won't I would have your dr call in the Rx to a new pharmacy that isn't such a pita. Also, you may want to ask your dr to do the order for the 10ml vial.

edit: if you can't get them to ok or do a new fill, maybe the dr office can just give you the shot for this week so they know there's no funny business.
View All Quotes
Now on 180mg/week.

I can get new fill but my insurance wouldn't cover it. So instead of $6 for 3 month it would be like $500.

Can't get Dr to do shot because they don't just keep it around.

Going to crash.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 1:42:31 PM EDT
[#23]

I can get new fill but my insurance wouldn't cover it. So instead of $6 for 3 month it would be like $500.

Going to crash.
View All Quotes
Now on 180mg/week.

Going to crash.

Check out discount codes on GoodRx. It should only be like $40-$80 for 10ml at places like walmart/walgreens/etc. and only like $10 for 1ml.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 1:46:38 PM EDT
[#24]

There is definitely more pain SubQ, but it's not that bad.  I pin first thing in the morning and if I'm doing squats that day the belt can hit right on the spot and I'll really feel it, but as soon as I start squatting it not noticeable anyway.  Oddly enough the worst pain is when I accidentally go a bit too deep and just sort of get into the muscle under the belly fat.  I get a painful little lump that can last a day or two.  For the most part the pain is gone in 30 minutes or so.  Longer than IM for sure, but not a big deal at all.

View All Quotes

Shit is bonkers man

Nah I'm off cycle now and just finished PCT. I feel pretty fucking great still. I was concerned that coming off was going to jack me up, but it hasn't. I believe this is due to taking HCG while on cycle. Sex drive isn't like a 15 year old anymore, but it's still probably like a 25 year old, so that's pretty good. Dick still works too so that's a plus

My bigger concern is that with Test P it's already more painful, and you have to inject small doses. I would need to inject at least 1cc, and I don't know if that's wise with Sub Q....doing .5CC every day might be an option as well I suppose.
The other option is 1.5CC EOD IM and that's also going to suuuuuck.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:52:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Dang.

I thought being a little insulting in the title would limit the competition for a free membership.  There are some pretty big boys that are already trying to get their shit together, it's going to make this a tough decision for me.

I'm really curious to see how this plays out.  I may end up buying two plus my own.

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 4:38:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Had one 200 mg vial left over. They told me it was going to be like $100 until I asked for coupon then it was $22.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 4:39:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KaiK] [#27]
Oops.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 7:18:23 PM EDT
[#28]

View Quote

congrats
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:17:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By flinch08:

Good catch.

How's your back?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CLICKBANGBANG:
Who was it that went to Africa a while back? Where are the friggin pitchers of the safari?

Good catch.

How's your back?

Not great. It's back to where I was in 2006-2011. Lots of pain in the base of my spine. L whatever the fuck is bulging and pressing. I'm learning to live with the sciatic nerve pain again. Some days are not too bad and I'm able to ignore it. Others I limp pretty bad because it burns like a fother mucker.

I've gone to seated ohp. That helps some. Pull-ups, bench, and dips are fine. I can't even stand to curl anymore. My back won't take the standing with 60-115 lbs for a few min. Lots of skull crushers because there is no pain there. I'm still doing light deads more for mobility... It's not really a dead if there isn't at least 135 lbs... I'm doing 65 lbs. lol. I'm doing a few unweighted Bulgarian split squats. Some bodyweight squats. Just trying to keep loose. No barbell squats. No jump rope. Can't. Meds take the pain away, but it's coming back a week after I'm off of them.

I could bench quite a bit right now, but someone has to load the plates for me... So I'm just sitting around watching Rex and hiz post lifting stuff and poetry on Instagram. I'm pretty much fucked.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 11:13:35 PM EDT
[#30]
So I went through a vein today when I injected. I felt jacked the fuck up later.  Is it possible some of the T  got strait into my blood?
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 11:52:29 PM EDT
[#31]
So I went through a vein today when I injected. I felt jacked the fuck up later.  Is it possible some of the T  got strait into my blood?
View Quote

Maybe a little. It happens. Shortness of breath, coughing, tight chest, and dizziness at worse. Most times there are few felt sides. If you hit a vein good, you might even taste alcohol in your throat a little. But this is rare. The good news, is you'll live. Lay down for a bit if you feel bad. Usually in 45 min to an hour all the sides will be gone. If you still feel bad after that, it's probably all of the tacos you ate that is making you sick.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 7:06:04 AM EDT
[#32]

Maybe a little. It happens. Shortness of breath, coughing, tight chest, and dizziness at worse. Most times there are few felt sides. If you hit a vein good, you might even taste alcohol in your throat a little. But this is rare. The good news, is you'll live. Lay down for a bit if you feel bad. Usually in 45 min to an hour all the sides will be gone. If you still feel bad after that, it's probably all of the tacos you ate that is making you sick.
View All Quotes

No, I felt awsome.  Like I was a bear with the strength of 2 bears.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 7:26:24 AM EDT
[#33]

View All Quotes

Next time go for an artery!

Once in awhile I'll punch through a vein. Usually I feel a little pain while it goes through so I know to expect a stream of warm blood running down my glute when I pull the needle out.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 7:30:44 AM EDT
[#34]

Once in awhile I'll punch through a vein. Usually I feel a little pain while it goes through so I know to expect a stream of warm blood running down my glute when I pull the needle out.
View All Quotes

Yep this is what happened but it was my quad.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 7:34:16 AM EDT
[#35]

View All Quotes

I still haven't pinned my quads yet. Just glutes. My quads are always tense(working on that) so the idea of stabbing into hard muscle weirds me out still.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 7:51:36 AM EDT
[#36]
I still haven't pinned my quads yet. Just glutes. My quads are always tense(working on that) so the idea of stabbing into hard muscle weirds me out still.
View Quote

Stop being weird.

Link Posted: 10/26/2016 8:34:48 AM EDT
[#37]

Stop being weird.

View All Quotes

Stop being weird.

lol

I had a garbage squat session yesterday. There was a cold breeze and I couldn't close the garage door because the kids were all playing. My hips just felt like garbage and exposed. Couldn't get warm, until the last few sets.

Deadlifts on saturday went well. Did some sets of 7-10 reps at 4 plates. Some sets at 5 reps at 455 and then a double at 505(would have been a triple at least, but I was seeing stars so I decided to leave it at two and live to lift another day). Hit volume at 3 then 2 plates after. Since I have been focused on bench press I haven't really been going above 405-455 for deads. But decided I needed to start hitting some heavier volume. Other than this shitty squat day my squats have gotten a lot better. My hips mostly feel stronger and I am able to do more volume in all weight ranges because of it. I don't feel like my form is shitty because of my bad hip anymore. Box squats are a huge factor in this.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 8:54:40 AM EDT
[#38]

lol

I had a garbage squat session yesterday. There was a cold breeze and I couldn't close the garage door because the kids were all playing. My hips just felt like garbage and exposed. Couldn't get warm, until the last few sets.

Deadlifts on saturday went well. Did some sets of 7-10 reps at 4 plates. Some sets at 5 reps at 455 and then a double at 505(would have been a triple at least, but I was seeing stars so I decided to leave it at two and live to lift another day). Hit volume at 3 then 2 plates after. Since I have been focused on bench press I haven't really been going above 405-455 for deads. But decided I needed to start hitting some heavier volume. Other than this shitty squat day my squats have gotten a lot better. My hips mostly feel stronger and I am able to do more volume in all weight ranges because of it. I don't feel like my form is shitty because of my bad hip anymore. Box squats are a huge factor in this.
View All Quotes

Stop being weird.

lol

I hate the cold.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 9:27:00 AM EDT
[#39]

Not great. It's back to where I was in 2006-2011. Lots of pain in the base of my spine. L whatever the fuck is bulging and pressing. I'm learning to live with the sciatic nerve pain again. Some days are not too bad and I'm able to ignore it. Others I limp pretty bad because it burns like a fother mucker.

I've gone to seated ohp. That helps some. Pull-ups, bench, and dips are fine. I can't even stand to curl anymore. My back won't take the standing with 60-115 lbs for a few min. Lots of skull crushers because there is no pain there. I'm still doing light deads more for mobility... It's not really a dead if there isn't at least 135 lbs... I'm doing 65 lbs. lol. I'm doing a few unweighted Bulgarian split squats. Some bodyweight squats. Just trying to keep loose. No barbell squats. No jump rope. Can't. Meds take the pain away, but it's coming back a week after I'm off of them.

I could bench quite a bit right now, but someone has to load the plates for me... So I'm just sitting around watching Rex and hiz post lifting stuff and poetry on Instagram. I'm pretty much fucked.
View All Quotes
Who was it that went to Africa a while back? Where are the friggin pitchers of the safari?

Good catch.

How's your back?

Ugh. That sucks. Stay positive. The body is amazing if given some time and plenty of the right nutrients.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 11:51:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AnvilUSMC] [#40]

View All Quotes

Good catch.

How's your back?

That sucks, it is good you are doing what you can though. Seems like you do have some stuff you are able to work at which is great. Maybe take this time to change your focus a bit. Since you are limited to movements that are supported and/or don't jack up your back you may want to think about following more of a bodybuilding routine for awhile. Really pump up and grow the muscles. Then when you are able to get back after the big compounds you will have a bigger foundation to do it from.

You can do a crazy amount of stuff from an incline bench with some adjustable dumbbells. Back to the bench and at different angles you basically have all the presses and curls. Chest to the bench you can get after everything from your rear delts, to traps, to lats, etc.

For leg stuff you could get one of those cheesy benches with the leg attachment to hit quad extensions and hamstring curls.

All of these things are with your back supported.

Work in the hypertrophy range and chase some pumps.

Just some thoughts.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 5:31:34 PM EDT
[#41]

That sucks, it is good you are doing what you can though. Seems like you do have some stuff you are able to work at which is great. Maybe take this time to change your focus a bit. Since you are limited to movements that are supported and/or don't jack up your back you may want to think about following more of a bodybuilding routine for awhile. Really pump up and grow the muscles. Then when you are able to get back after the big compounds you will have a bigger foundation to do it from.

You can do a crazy amount of stuff from an incline bench with some adjustable dumbbells. Back to the bench and at different angles you basically have all the presses and curls. Chest to the bench you can get after everything from your rear delts, to traps, to lats, etc.

For leg stuff you could get one of those cheesy benches with the leg attachment to hit quad extensions and hamstring curls.

Just some thoughts.
View All Quotes

Good catch.

How's your back?

Just some thoughts.

I've been thinking exactly what you're saying. But I'm not up on bodybuilding stuff. I've only ever worked hard on the four barbell lifts and a few accessories. Need to look into a bodybuilding program to run.

I've got dumbells from 5 up to 45 lbs. I'm planning on buying up to 65s. I can bench my 45s 5x15 pretty easy. I might look into a good incline bench too. The cheapo leg machine attachment is a good idea. I hadn't thought of that.

Did chest yesterday. I can load the 5s, 10s, and 25s on the bar easy enough. I was surprised that I've got 160 in sub 25 lbs weight. Then worked with the 45s for a while.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 6:02:33 PM EDT
[#42]
I ran a CFT at drill last weekend.

Perfect score. Not a huge deal..but..then I weighed in 15# over my max allowed weight. I'm pretty proud I can run a 300 CFT while 15# overweight
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 6:21:25 PM EDT
[#43]

I've been thinking exactly what you're saying. But I'm not up on bodybuilding stuff. I've only ever worked hard on the four barbell lifts and a few accessories. Need to look into a bodybuilding program to run.

I've got dumbells from 5 up to 45 lbs. I'm planning on buying up to 65s. I can bench my 45s 5x15 pretty easy. I might look into a good incline bench too. The cheapo leg machine attachment is a good idea. I hadn't thought of that.

Did chest yesterday. I can load the 5s, 10s, and 25s on the bar easy enough. I was surprised that I've got 160 in sub 25 lbs weight. Then worked with the 45s for a while.
View All Quotes

Good catch.

How's your back?

Just some thoughts.

If life gives you lemons, make limoncello. Seth Feroce has some good videos on how he trains and where his focus is. I haven't read it, but now may be a good time to get Arnold's encyclopedia of bodybuilding book. Crazy amounts of information out there in the wild.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 7:15:08 PM EDT
[#44]
I ran a CFT at drill last weekend.

Perfect score. Not a huge deal..but..then I weighed in 15# over my max allowed weight. I'm pretty proud I can run a 300 CFT while 15# overweight
View Quote

You fatty. Obviously not fit for combat.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 10:15:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Another good night at the gym, still weak AF but strength is climbing like its supposed to. I'll be glad when when the noob soreness is gone, squatting 3x a week made bleeding brakes today hell!
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 10:45:48 AM EDT
[#46]
Still chugging along on my deadlift progression.

Also, did the following barbell bro shrugs:

50 @ 225
40@ 275
30 @ 315
20@ 365

With 10 banded back extensions on the GDH in between each set.  I have gumby shoulders now.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 4:20:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Nice deads! Too bad the douche behind you  photobombed you!
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 4:24:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By vic-303:
View Quote

Yeah I didn't notice that until later.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 5:16:58 PM EDT
[#49]

View All Quotes

He was just mirin those socks.

Good lifts.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 5:17:54 PM EDT
[#50]

He was just mirin dat ass.

Good lifts.
View All Quotes

He was just mirin dat ass.

Good lifts.

Fixed.
Page / 769
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top