Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 769
Link Posted: 6/3/2012 7:07:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By GUNGUY148:
Originally Posted By darktide:
First of all... I want some fucking jalepeno hush puppies...
===

LAV's logic as I remember on DA/SA:

DA/SA guns were made to bridge the gap between a mechanical safety (thumb style) and no safety (like a revolver), with the long heavy pull of the DA to serve as a safety. The inertia of the style is largely based on military adoption of the beretta. and will likely fade away into obscurity once they switch.

This gives you two, separate trigger pulls, and is at least twice as difficult to be accurate with, because you have to master two trigger pulls, not to mention the strange reset after the DA shot. Not to mention that with current handgun technology, there is no reason to use a DA (unless you're military/LEO and have no choice)...

He was VERY adamant about students ditching their DA guns... (and a LONG rant on the compact glock 40, and how it is literally one of the worst guns to shoot in existence... and then 40's shittiness in general...)

I can see the logic behind that. I am a beretta fan my self for my full-size gun but I never carry it so I doubt that I have fired more than a couple shots from it in D/A mode. My EDC is an lc9 that is D/A only....I enjoy the long trigger travel on it as it make me feel a bit better about it pointing at my ass chambered with the earth off.

Interesting position LAV takes on the TDA guns.  Flip side of the coin:
http://pistol-training.com/archives/6686

Personally, have to walk LAV's path on this one.  Had Sigs for years, P220, P226, P229.  Fell in love with the P220 (maybe cause its the gun De Niro had in Heat  ).  But the DA first shot killed me and never put in enough practice to master the DA/SA transition.
Link Posted: 6/3/2012 8:38:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By RatherBeLifting:

Gun, to answer your earlier question, I'm down 6lbs over the last two weeks.  I reckon I was pretty close to 100% compliant this last week as I didn't have clients to take out to dinner.  My "rampage" on Friday was pretty fantastic.  fried fish, shark steaks, poached trout and all the jalapeno hush puppies I could cram in my mouth between beers.

Down 6#s and keeping decent strength is hellagood....I think I'm going to join y'all on the low carb cutting.  I gotta trim up a little more now and get back in the market. No bro six pack for me ....just get rid of the padding.

Here's a link to the diets that I'm running and I believe Darktide is running too.  Links left cold because they are hella' NSFW...

The one I'm running:  http://chaosandpain.blogspot.com/2012/03/predator-diet-part-3-youre-getting-less.html
The one Darktide is doing: http://chaosandpain.blogspot.com/2012/02/predator-diet-part-2-dieting-for-fat.html

The series in order:
http://chaosandpain.blogspot.com/2012/02/predator-diet-in-glorious-detail-part-1.html
http://chaosandpain.blogspot.com/2012/02/predator-diet-part-2-dieting-for-fat.html
http://chaosandpain.blogspot.com/2012/03/predator-diet-part-3-youre-getting-less.html
http://chaosandpain.blogspot.com/2012/03/predator-diet-part-4-every-predator.html
http://chaosandpain.blogspot.com/2012/03/predator-diet-if-youre-lean-as-shit.html
http://chaosandpain.blogspot.com/2012/04/apex-predator-diet-for-athletes-and.html
http://chaosandpain.blogspot.com/2012/04/ask-asshole-12-all-predator-diet-all.html - this one has a pic that is just not right.

You'll want to read through them all probably more than once.  He didn't write it like a training manual, it's basically here's XYZ, sometimes do Z and sometimes do X, but only if Y is on this day...
Link Posted: 6/3/2012 8:44:48 PM EDT
[#3]
As another aside... "Bigger, Stronger, Faster" is on ESPN Classic for anyone that hasn't seen it or hasn't pirated it yet.
Link Posted: 6/3/2012 8:47:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/3/2012 8:48:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the links...I will sure check them out.
Link Posted: 6/4/2012 7:55:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Guns:

I also hate the way glocks look, I hate how they feel (grip/trigger). I hate how I have a strange bruise on my middle finger from 3 days of shooting one... But the 100% truth of the matter: They work. No glock went down during class, though to be fair, only 1 sig and 1 m&P had minor problems... I have ~15k through my 3 glocks, and have had only 1 fte that was gun-related (cuz I never clean the bitches?). THAT is the reason I carry a glock 100% of the time. They're not the most accurate (but shit, if I can tag a popper at 100m with a compact?... )

I didn't hear too many things from LAV about why the hate on M&P other than they have shitty QC, and have fucked the gun up something bad...   Then the constant ripping on Costa and Haley...  CONSTANTLY... oh, and how hard it is to shoot a fucking pistol, and how it will put hair on your balls and make you a fucking alpha male when it comes to rifle...
Diet:

Anyway... I've been pretty patchy about the Apex diet this last week. There are many (most) days when I will eat my portion of cow in two installments because of meetings and such... I'm fine with PSMF's now though, they don't bother me.   No idea effect on weight. No scales around. Just took measurements for a new squat suit for an upcoming meet mid last week, so I have a baseline to compare to.

Lifts:

531, staggered to keep max lifts spread out through the cycle. After discussing my lifting goals with my coaches, trainers, and friends, I'm throwing briefs on for squatting and deadlifting again... Looking to qualify for a couple nationals if I can get my lifts to where they need to be... (namely my bench, as It is a good 200lbs under where it needs to be, I might just have to start training with a shirt...)

Link Posted: 6/4/2012 8:45:20 AM EDT
[#7]
By far, I find more use out of classes where the fundamentals of marksmanship are emphasized over shooting cool, high-speed drills.

The Tom Givens class that I took last year was 100% marksmanship training under stress of a timer. While it might be a bit poor taste for Vicker's to rag on The Beard and Travis Haley, you often wonder now if fancy shooting is now something that is more important than just learning how to make good hits under stress.
Link Posted: 6/4/2012 10:33:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: darktide] [#8]
Honestly, this class was just a f'n "trigger control" class... showed the chinks in my armor though, and gave me tools to help correct my training scars... Though the majority of the shooters in this class were not up to the level that I had expected for this level of training, so things ended up being taken a bit slower...

He ripped on all 'edutainment' style instructors with high round counts and little/no emphasis on accuracy... Costa was just his fav to use as an example...
OHP: worked on pushing my head through... 185 and 205 for a few singles each...

Seated OHP+20lbs /c Average bands (~140 at the bottom, ~215 at the top)

rope tri extend/curl/front&side raise Supersets...

Link Posted: 6/4/2012 12:22:43 PM EDT
[#9]

Honestly, this class was just a f'n "trigger control" class... showed the chinks in my armor though, and gave me tools to help correct my training scars... Though the majority of the shooters in this class were not up to the level that I had expected for this level of training, so things ended up being taken a bit slower...

He ripped on all 'edutainment' style instructors with high round counts and little/no emphasis on accuracy... Costa was just his fav to use as an example...
OHP: worked on pushing my head through... 185 and 205 for a few singles each...

Seated OHP+20lbs /c Average bands (~140 at the bottom, ~215 at the top)

rope tri extend/curl/front&side raise Supersets...

Like I said, Tom Givens ran his class in the same way.  He actually had a microphone were he pretty much had us doing drills based on his speech cadence of draw, present gun, gain sight picture, preeeeeeeesssssssss, BANG!  Over and over, and over and over.   It was boring as fuck, but damn if folks groups didn't shrink to crazy small.  By the end of my class I had G17 groups looking like I was shooting a custom 1911.

Until you master being able to acquire a solid sight picture and control that trigger to generate precise, accurate shots on target, you have no business running and gunning.

Sorta like Rippetoe with weight training; Until you're able to squat 400 pounds, you got no business doing goodmornings or curls.

Learn to walk before you learn to run.

Link Posted: 6/4/2012 1:10:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I need to attend one of those classes....I consider my self above average with a rifle but sub par with a handgun. My 5-10 yard quick draw and fire is adequate but precision shots at 25+  kinda suck.
Link Posted: 6/4/2012 3:35:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Anywho...back to pistols. I can't stand the way a Glock feels in my hand and about 90% of my shooting is done with cast lead reloads. I have heard that's a recipe for a kaboom.

A simple drop-in, aftermarket barrel solves that issue.  

I actually hated Glocks the first time I shot one.  Not only did they feel odd, but I hated the feel of the striker operation.  It is what my dept. issues, though, so I had to learn to like it.  Fortunately, I adapted pretty quickly, and have done quite well in regional competitions with my 17.  It is nice to out-shoot a 2500 dollar pistol with one costing maybe 550 after sights and springs.  I have also had zero malfunctions in however many thousands of rounds.  That being said, I still plan on having a nice 2011 built.

So, if you can spend a little time with them, and get used to the quirks, they are actually very capable pistols.
Link Posted: 6/4/2012 4:59:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By webman:
Anywho...back to pistols. I can't stand the way a Glock feels in my hand and about 90% of my shooting is done with cast lead reloads. I have heard that's a recipe for a kaboom.

A simple drop-in, aftermarket barrel solves that issue.  

I actually hated Glocks the first time I shot one.  Not only did they feel odd, but I hated the feel of the striker operation.  It is what my dept. issues, though, so I had to learn to like it.  Fortunately, I adapted pretty quickly, and have done quite well in regional competitions with my 17.  It is nice to out-shoot a 2500 dollar pistol with one costing maybe 550 after sights and springs.  I have also had zero malfunctions in however many thousands of rounds.  That being said, I still plan on having a nice 2011 built.

So, if you can spend a little time with them, and get used to the quirks, they are actually very capable pistols.

Im gonna be on the koolaid for to long
Link Posted: 6/4/2012 10:56:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Wow....suckfest squat night just now...225 was fuckin heavy. Been low carbing and moved a bunch of heavy furniture up two flights of stairs in the heat today so I'm sure that had a lot to do with it...still quite the buzz kill to drop a ton of weight.  

Oh well, next time will be better.
Link Posted: 6/4/2012 11:12:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/4/2012 11:31:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Well it has to be better that sitting on the couch watching tv....although sometimes I wonder
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 12:02:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RatherBeLifting] [#16]
Post your diet and we can see if we can help.  Also, is 225 a heavy squat for you...I mean is that like 90% of your 1RM?  I'll be honest my overall strength hasn't declined but I definitely don't have the gas in the tank which usually manifests itself on rep work.  For instance, I was supposed to do 5x10 deads at 205 tonight.  I ended up getting 50 reps, but in 6 sets not 5...any maybe even more like sets of 6-8 with some singles as I was resetting.

Edit:  Plus my calories were way too low yesterday.  I did kill a lb of brisket after the workout tonight though.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 8:06:16 AM EDT
[#17]
I know yesterday my Cal's were quite low...I was to busy to eat much. A heavy squat for me 10#s and ~3 months ago was 335-345....after losing some weight I have been struggling to hit 295-305 which I am cool with but last night really bummed me out. 255 sent me to the pins. It was odd how the lower weights really felt so heavy just walking out from the hooks.

Yesterday's breakfast:
Double protein shake

Lunch:
~12oz of meat(chicken and bratwurst) and 8oz broccoli all killed with hot sauce.

Afternoon:
single shake

Supper:
2 Italian sausages and two <tennis ball sized Roma tomatoes

Post lift:
Another shake

This is not a typical day...I'm usually a 1-2 shake a day guy and breakfast is a 5 egg omelet.
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 12:51:50 PM EDT
[#18]
What's with all the dieting going on itt?

Hit a squat PR yesterday of 495x5 on 531 day.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 12:54:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 1:04:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By AZ-AR15:

Tryin to get shredded brah!
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 1:06:46 PM EDT
[#21]
GOMAD for life!
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 1:12:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Bad ass squat by the way!
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 5:00:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Nice lift AZ––

i'm dieting cuz i'm a fat fuck...
Powerlifting meet in Aug or Sept. Not sure which I'm going to own, but both federations are pretty weak in Michigan, and I *SHOULD* be able to qualify for Nationals at either 245 or 275 based on my squat and Deadlift... if I can get my bench up towards 500 geared... I would be competitive in a most federations.

Modest Goals for the meet: 750 squat, 450 bench, 650 conv. deadlift. Single ply gear.  Should be doable... if I can afford a damn bench shirt... lol.  I'm hoping for a 2k total within a year... I KNOW I could reach that pretty easily if I switched to multiply gear...
Lifts today

Squat- slowly building back up to heavy weights.

Loose briefs & Belt

405x10r2s

455x5

Bulg Split squat @ BW

Hang leg raise

Link Posted: 6/5/2012 6:15:43 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm shootin for at least 1610 at the end of July at my second meet.  I would like 1660 since I did 1360 a year ago but, I gotta make some big gains fast for that.  Will either be 220 or 242 raw.  Hopefully 220 but, I'm sitting at nearly 235 now so dunno if I wanna go through the hassle of a major cut.
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 7:00:40 PM EDT
[#25]

This brah.  In a new area and single

But in all seriousness, just trying to not turn back into a sack of fat, and being strong at the same time is awesome.  I lost a lot of strength in boot camp, and am working on getting that back.  Two weeks before I left for boot I squatted 330, and now 200 is heavy.  ALL of my lifts are way down, now it's just going to be lifting and eating to get strength back to "proper" levels, then exceed that.  I also want to stay looking good naked while gaining strength
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 9:19:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GUNGUY148] [#26]
Originally Posted By Chizzle:

This brah.  In a new area and single

But in all seriousness, just trying to not turn back into a sack of fat, and being strong at the same time is awesome.  I lost a lot of strength in boot camp, and am working on getting that back.  Two weeks before I left for boot I squatted 330, and now 200 is heavy.  ALL of my lifts are way down, now it's just going to be lifting and eating to get strength back to "proper" levels, then exceed that.  I also want to stay looking good naked while gaining strength

I think Wendler said we are all closet body builders

Fuck yeah! 50 pages of awesomeness
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 9:45:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Somebody go tell Dave Tate he's a bodybuilder.  

Link Posted: 6/5/2012 9:59:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 10:03:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Point taken.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 10:07:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 10:14:36 PM EDT
[#31]
I hope to one day, get to half that level of awesomeness
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 10:24:24 PM EDT
[#32]
What is it about page 50 that made us all turn gay?    Yeah, I'm going to look like that when I'm old.

Gun, how many calories do you reckon you got with your diet?  Is that a normal day of eating?
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 10:54:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GUNGUY148] [#33]
My normal maintenance is ~3000 and I was trimming at ~2500 with some cardio(<10 miles a week running) added in. I actually just started the LOW carb thing and honesty as hectic as its been I have done a shitty job at it. I normally eat what most would consider low carb...150 grams a day....even before going primal I was at 250 eating brown rice and steel cut oats.

Yesterday was around 1800 with very little carbs....I know, not good for a squat night and the previous day wasn't much diffrent.

Today was better...meat and veggies at around 2600 Cal's.
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 11:03:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 11:18:04 PM EDT
[#35]
I am not....I'm not quite sure if I want to take it that far although no doubt it works better.

I don't think the strips that diabetics piss on is the same as what you are after....if that's even what you are thinking. I could be wrong about them working but ketosis isn't the same as ketoacidosis(sp?).
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 11:21:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/6/2012 12:00:12 AM EDT
[#37]
pissing on sticks is for pregnant women.

Ketosis can easily be judged by acetone breath and thirst...  

Link Posted: 6/6/2012 12:11:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RatherBeLifting] [#38]
I have not done any testing.  At most I just have anecdotal evidence, my wife said my breath smells bad when I go to kiss her, which is unusual or at least it was way worse than usual.    I tend to be more thirsty...again all anecdotal.

Even the ketostix are just a guess at best.  If you're below maintenance calories, then your body will be using ketones for fuel instead of secreting them meaning you may not get a positive test but still be in ketosis.  [Duchaine]
Link Posted: 6/6/2012 11:44:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Did bench tonight....it went pretty well, nothing spectacular but I didn't leave felling like a giant vagina. I did some pullups, lat pull downs, then superset rope tri pushdown and barbell curls.
Link Posted: 6/7/2012 8:52:05 AM EDT
[#40]
Bench 1's

295x4

Few lockouts

DB presses 2s10r 75lbs  

Got bored, went home––> Finishing the painting of the interior of the house today...

Weak, and I don't know why. I haven't had any desire to lift the last couple weeks. I get to the gym, struggle through the workout, and leave.

Link Posted: 6/7/2012 9:26:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Bench 1's

295x4
Few lockouts
DB presses 2s10r 75lbs  
Got bored, went home––> Finishing the painting of the interior of the house today...

Weak, and I don't know why. I haven't had any desire to lift the last couple weeks. I get to the gym, struggle through the workout, and leave.

I am being sucked into the same rut
Link Posted: 6/7/2012 9:28:32 AM EDT
[#42]
I think the rut is a seasonal thing.  I've got it too, I feel drained of energy all the time now.  The good thing is that the gym is noticeably empty.
Link Posted: 6/7/2012 4:19:59 PM EDT
[#43]
I may be feeding off of everyone else's energy then.  I felt pretty awesome today!  531 in bench.  I got an easy 340x4 followed by CGBP and then some supersetted chins and dips.
Link Posted: 6/7/2012 4:25:26 PM EDT
[#44]
My jealousy runs deep:)
Link Posted: 6/7/2012 4:38:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 6/7/2012 4:45:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Hank:
I need a new belt. I dig the Spud Deadlift belt, but I would rather have one that is even coverage all the way around.

And it "popped" on me on my heaviest deadlift this past session. Probably my fault, but still.

Elite Econo Belt the way to go?

I still havent ordered one...Im such a slacker.

But the spud opened up....tell us about it
Link Posted: 6/7/2012 5:02:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 6/7/2012 5:25:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Hank:
I need a new belt. I dig the Spud Deadlift belt, but I would rather have one that is even coverage all the way around.

And it "popped" on me on my heaviest deadlift this past session. Probably my fault, but still.

Elite Econo Belt the way to go?

I like mine.  Only thing I don't like about it is that it had a little "Made in Pakistan" sticker on it when I got it.  I'd suggest Bob's Belts if you want American.  Or maybe even Titan's stuff (but not from Titan if you want fast shipping).
Link Posted: 6/7/2012 5:31:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Saw this and thought you guys might like it

Link Posted: 6/7/2012 5:37:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 769
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top