BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 769
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 9:41:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SCW:

I've had a great week, squatted twice although light.  Just feels good to squat.

About to go do a partner WOD with my son for crossfit this morning.

Between the two of us were have to....

Bench 15,000lbs
Deadlift 15,000lbs
Turkish get-up 2,000lbs (this will be hard for my wrist)
Wall balls 3,000lbs.

Should be fun.
View Quote
Turkish get ups are so boring.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 11:45:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 3:50:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By AnvilUSMC:
Your balls are big and hard.

Last two weeks have been crazy uneventful. Unmotivated + sick lifting buddy = mediocrity.

On the plus side I've had 60 lbs of pork butt on the smoker since midnight.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/316036/IMG-7445-232609.JPG
View Quote
that meat is awesome
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 4:15:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 6:29:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SCW] [#5]
I don't know if I'm just so sore and tired from my workout, don't have any technique or I'm just a pussy, but I felt like I did really well when I lifted the ball 1/2" off the ground.

I'll make another one next week with a gigantic foam ball inside.  If I stab a wood dowel through it cut to the inside diameter of the ball, the concrete can't float it up and it will stay centered.  I can tell this one is a little lop-sided in weight.

EDIT-

I feel a little better about being such a pussy.  My cals based on it being an 18" diameter put a solid weight at 465lbs and the weight of the 9" ball inside at 92lbs, so my total weight as it sits is 373lbs.

I'm going to need a bigger foam.

EDIT 2-

If I get a 12" foam ball as found here in half-balls I'll be down to 260lbs.

If I can find a 14" ball I'll be at 185lbs, which would probably be a better place to start.

Wow, this stuff gets heavy fast.  I have a new appreciation for those dudes that toss these things around.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 3:29:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Pretty quiet in here these days.

I just got a 180.5lb strict press, that's a big 18lb PR for me and about 8 pounds heavier than I expected.  Feels good, just 40lbs off of a body weight standing strict press!
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 3:53:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Pretty quiet in here these days.

I just got a 180.5lb strict press, that's a big 18lb PR for me and about 8 pounds heavier than I expected.  Feels good, just 40lbs off of a body weight standing strict press!
View Quote
Awesome!

What's everyone's thoughts on geared powerlifting? Specifically to reduce the chance of injury as weights get higher rather than raw vs geared debate. I am considering getting a mild squat suite/bench shirt/briefs for training purposes. I turn 31 in a few months and my total is basically 1,500lbs and I want to hit at least an 1,800 lb total before I turn 35. Anyone every use gear as a form of overload training?
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 4:39:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't know if I'm just so sore and tired from my workout, don't have any technique or I'm just a pussy, but I felt like I did really well when I lifted the ball 1/2" off the ground.

I'll make another one next week with a gigantic foam ball inside.  If I stab a wood dowel through it cut to the inside diameter of the ball, the concrete can't float it up and it will stay centered.  I can tell this one is a little lop-sided in weight.

http://i981.photobucket.com/albums/ae294/SCW-Shooter/647C06A6-96F2-4773-9891-E19B78814D81.jpg

EDIT-

I feel a little better about being such a pussy.  My cals based on it being an 18" diameter put a solid weight at 465lbs and the weight of the 9" ball inside at 92lbs, so my total weight as it sits is 373lbs.

I'm going to need a bigger foam.

EDIT 2-

If I get a 12" foam ball as found here in half-balls I'll be down to 260lbs.

If I can find a 14" ball I'll be at 185lbs, which would probably be a better place to start.

Wow, this stuff gets heavy fast.  I have a new appreciation for those dudes that toss these things around.
View Quote
Don't go 185.  That's pretty much a girl weight.  260 would be good.  240 is better to start off with if you can get it there.  I use 270 a lot to train with.  Or used to anyways.

You're getting huge man.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 4:48:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By LawyerUp:

Don't go 185.  That's pretty much a girl weight.  260 would be good.  240 is better to start off with if you can get it there.  I use 270 a lot to train with.  Or used to anyways.

You're getting huge man.
View Quote
OK, I'll try it out.  Maybe I'll try this ball I have again, that WOD I did saturday really took a lot out of me and there's a chance I can pick it up today.

the chicks at the gym noticed I'm getting big too, I normally wear long sleeves (even with shorts, it covers some scars better) and the other day I wore short sleeves for the first time.  Had a few comments on my guns, that was nice.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 4:51:40 PM EDT
[#10]

OK, I'll try it out.  Maybe I'll try this ball I have again, that WOD I did saturday really took a lot out of me and there's a chance I can pick it up today.

the chicks at the gym noticed I'm getting big too, I normally wear long sleeves (even with shorts, it covers some scars better) and the other day I wore short sleeves for the first time.  Had a few comments on my guns, that was nice.
View Quote
Think how big you would look if you could tan!

Solid gains though. How is bench coming with your wrist?
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 5:47:24 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote
It's still pretty painful to push more than 215 or so, but it's getting a lot easier to push that much!  As my right arm gets stronger I'm making pretty good gains, both sides nearly go up at the same speed now.

Tans are overrated.  My youngest son was out playing at the irrigation pond across the road the other day and ended up with a sunburn so bad it looked purple.  Him and his 7yo brother have skin like me and they were shuffling around the house shirtless for a week.  I remember those days...  Now I play inside.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 6:42:58 PM EDT
[#12]

It's still pretty painful to push more than 215 or so, but it's getting a lot easier to push that much!  As my right arm gets stronger I'm making pretty good gains, both sides nearly go up at the same speed now.

Tans are overrated.  My youngest son was out playing at the irrigation pond across the road the other day and ended up with a sunburn so bad it looked purple.  Him and his 7yo brother have skin like me and they were shuffling around the house shirtless for a week.  I remember those days...  Now I play inside.
View Quote
That's great everything is still coming along.

Luckily for me my viking ancestors were smart enough to set up shop in the Mediterranean. So I just think about the sun and get dark. I can't imagine how bad your sons must have hurt.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 9:10:45 PM EDT
[#13]

View Quote
Bullfrog sunscreen.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 8:14:41 AM EDT
[#14]

View Quote
I was sure I was gonna burn this weekend. 5 days in the sun with no shade on my pasty-white IT-doin' ass. Managed to keep it to a minimum, (thanks sun bum!) although my neck looks like weathered leather. 
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 3:42:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By therex:
I was sure I was gonna burn this weekend. 5 days in the sun with no shade on my pasty-white IT-doin' ass. Managed to keep it to a minimum, (thanks sun bum!) although my neck looks like weathered leather. 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By therex:

I grew up  in FL.  I surfed one day from sunrise to sunset.  Never even came in.  Just pissed where I was, etc.  Well, I paid a price for it.  Burnt my fucking eyeballs from the sun's reflection on the glassy water.  It was a great day of offshore winds.  That was the worst night's sleep I've ever had.  And by sleep I mean, whimpering with a wet towel on my face for 8 hours straight.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 4:03:41 PM EDT
[#16]
New lifting routine is hard to get used too.  I was going to have to be travelling a lot, then got switched to another job that has me going in very early morning, which is when I used to work out.  

Now I wake up, eat, work eight straight hours with no food intake, and then workout.   

I need to figure this out better.  
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 4:29:23 PM EDT
[#17]

I grew up  in FL.  I surfed one day from sunrise to sunset.  Never even came in.  Just pissed where I was, etc.  Well, I paid a price for it.  Burnt my fucking eyeballs from the sun's reflection on the glassy water.  It was a great day of offshore winds.  That was the worst night's sleep I've ever had.  And by sleep I mean, whimpering with a wet towel on my face for 8 hours straight.
View Quote
As far as excuses go for hurting yourself, a nice steady offshore breeze is a pretty good one. And now you'll definitely never forget that session and the mist blowing on you as a wave passes.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 5:04:55 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote
Ugh.  Sunburned eyeballs are probably the worst.

I didn't used to be nearly so scared of the sun, but after I got burned I couldn't stand being in the sun at all for 5 years and I've got this subconscious (and conscious) fear of the sun now.  I don't think it actually bothers me any more than it did as a kid, but I'm just to the point where I spend the hot part of the year in the shade.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 5:55:29 PM EDT
[#19]
CJ Cummings - 2017 Junior World Champion [4k 50p]
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:05:34 AM EDT
[#20]
it's great that you can train with the kids! My son just started training.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 12:36:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:20:14 PM EDT
[#22]
the Boy got a 20 lb PR, 225. he just turned 15.
<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid62.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fh86%2Fdavespringbok%2F582EE55B-3D81-45E7-A2A5-5E22CCB7CFEA_zpsfhi7s9zv.mp4&title=">
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 6:08:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:30:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Hank:
Top squat set today was 14x220lbs. Ech.
View Quote
That ain't bad.  It will be easy fast enough.

I can't seem to gain weight.  I decided I would really crank up the intake and add some crossfit once a week or so, hoping to hit 230 or 235 pounds in order to increase the squat.  Dropped a pound a week for the last few weeks and hit 219 today after eating and some drink, so maybe 218.  

I guess it's less chicken and more bear claws for a while.  Yay?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:16:16 PM EDT
[#25]

That ain't bad.  It will be easy fast enough.

I can't seem to gain weight.  I decided I would really crank up the intake and add some crossfit once a week or so, hoping to hit 230 or 235 pounds in order to increase the squat.  Dropped a pound a week for the last few weeks and hit 219 today after eating and some drink, so maybe 218.  

I guess it's less chicken and more bear claws for a while.  Yay?
View Quote
If you aren't concerned with adding a bit of fat you could always incorporate gainer shakes, making milk shakes with protein powder, GOMAD, pizza a day, big bowls of spaghetti, etc. If you want to bulk as cleanly as possible then just keep upping your protein intake. I've mentioned this before(but haven't done it) but Mark Bell would talk about when he bulks he will make a big protein shake before bed and drink it in the middle of the night. So there is an extra meal already.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:11:30 PM EDT
[#26]
MFW someone says "I just can't gain weight":

Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:20:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KaiK] [#27]
View Quote
Seriously!!!

Eat some more.  It's easy. Eat a bowl of ice cream after every meal. Cover in chocolate for extra gainz!
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:37:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Did some pulling this morning.

Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:40:49 PM EDT
[#29]
View Quote
Yeah, I need to try harder.  Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty chubby in the middle still so it's not like I can't be fat. I just thought I was doing what I thought I needed to do and I'm still losing.

I've already had two meals today and I'm considering what's for lunch.

Apparently putting good muscle on in the right places, I wore and under armor shirt to a meeting and some of the guys at the office were remarking on how much shoulder width I've gained.  

Local strongman competition tomorrow...  I'm going to be sitting here working instead.  My wife is going to go watch and report back.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:47:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Did some pulling this morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLKjCqPVmU4
View Quote
Hell yeah!

Carpal tunnel feeling better?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:54:04 PM EDT
[#31]

Hell yeah!

Carpal tunnel feeling better?
View Quote
Nope.  I wish.  Pulling doesn't hurt it.  But bench press kills it.  I've been using dumbbells, which for some reason hurt less.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:04:17 PM EDT
[#32]

Nope.  I wish.  Pulling doesn't hurt it.  But bench press kills it.  I've been using dumbbells, which for some reason hurt less.
View Quote
Probably since you can put the dumbbells in a more neutral position. Does your gym have a football bar? That might help too. Or even a duffalo bar.

Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:13:20 PM EDT
[#33]

Probably since you can put the dumbbells in a more neutral position. Does your gym have a football bar? That might help too. Or even a duffalo bar.

http://www.roguefitness.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/x100/472321edac810f9b2465a359d8cdc0b5/r/o/rogue-multi-grip-bars-web1v2.jpg

http://www.roguefitness.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/1500x1500/472321edac810f9b2465a359d8cdc0b5/d/u/duffalo-bar-web1.jpg
View Quote
No.  None of those.  Still w/ the dumbbells I'm not using a neutral grip.  Just the downward pressure on my hands makes them numb and I'm afraid I will drop the bar and I'll become a GD story.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 4:26:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Holy shit...the culmination of the past 2 years of work has finally came to be yesterday

I passed the Illinois State Paramedic Exam!  

With a score of 87%

The last 2 months were especially rough...practically lived in the ER/ICU/Surg/OB/CATH departments and the last 60hrs ambo ride time.  No gym...

Also...Proposed to the little woman, and have a little girl on the way
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 4:36:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Flashover343:
Holy shit...the culmination of the past 2 years of work has finally came to be yesterday

With a score of 87%

The last 2 months were especially rough...practically lived in the ER/ICU/Surg/OB/CATH departments and the last 60hrs ambo ride time.  No gym...

View Quote
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 4:37:11 PM EDT
[#36]

With a score of 87%

View Quote
Congrats!
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 4:50:15 PM EDT
[#37]

With a score of 87%

View Quote
Wow, congrats times three!

But how's your squat?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 4:57:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Flashover343] [#38]
terrible...

reset everything by 50% and running a 5x5

on Wednesday

Squat 210
Bench 160
Dead 325
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 4:57:35 PM EDT
[#39]

Wow, congrats times three!

But how's your squat?
View Quote
Yes, it may not have been worth it.  
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 5:06:16 PM EDT
[#40]

With a score of 87%

View Quote
Damn! Somebodies been busy. Good for you.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 5:26:46 PM EDT
[#41]
terrible...

reset everything by 50% and running a 5x5

on Wednesday

Squat 210
Bench 160
Dead 325
View Quote
Seems like a pretty extreme reduction, I bet you could do more. Unless you also get ebolaids or somethin...
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 5:30:08 PM EDT
[#42]

Seems like a pretty extreme reduction, I bet you could do more. Unless you also get ebolaids or somethin...
View Quote
steady adding 5/5/10lbs each workout...hasn't been very hard, except the first day (squatting 185 and the DOMs lasted for days)
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:03:50 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm up to 160lbs

Also my squat feels a bajillion times better since squatting twice a week and adding tempo squats as an accessory
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:12:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By MeatBag:
I'm up to 160lbs

Also my squat feels a bajillion times better since squatting twice a week and adding tempo squats as an accessory
View Quote
Now I can only press you over my head 6 times.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:31:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By KaiK:

Now I can only press you over my head 6 times.
View Quote
Nice! Tried a 1RM yet?  You're likely at or near bodyweight.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:36:33 PM EDT
[#46]

Nice! Tried a 1RM yet?  You're likely at or near bodyweight.
View Quote
I did 170 for 3 yesterday. I'm not sure how much I weigh. My batteries went bad in my scale.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:11:57 PM EDT
[#47]

With a score of 87%

View Quote
Congrats man!!!!

I take the boards in less than 3 weeks
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:15:57 PM EDT
[#48]

Awesome!

What's everyone's thoughts on geared powerlifting? Specifically to reduce the chance of injury as weights get higher rather than raw vs geared debate. I am considering getting a mild squat suite/bench shirt/briefs for training purposes. I turn 31 in a few months and my total is basically 1,500lbs and I want to hit at least an 1,800 lb total before I turn 35. Anyone every use gear as a form of overload training?
View Quote
As long as you don't claim a lift as legit than it's awesome to build strength.

Like doing rack dead. It's an awesome lift. Just don't claim it as your deadlift

1800lbs is a killer goal. I think 1500 is my limit. Head wise.

You will do it. You've been making some great strides.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:17:36 PM EDT
[#49]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Takes practice

Gotta learn about sunscreen at sea
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 10:02:09 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By 03RN:

As long as you don't claim a lift as legit than it's awesome to build strength.

Like doing rack dead. It's an awesome lift. Just don't claim it as your deadlift

1800lbs is a killer goal. I think 1500 is my limit. Head wise.

You will do it. You've been making some great strides.
View Quote
He is a giant.  So that helps.  

I'll be pretty happy at 1300.
Page / 769
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top