BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 769
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 10:23:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By LawyerUp:
Went to a chiro for the first time today and got adjusted.  Snap, crackle, pop.  It all popped.  The guy used to lift and he has a machine gun collection.
View Quote
Sounds like a good guy to be friends with
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 10:25:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By BASE:
I don't know jack shit about competitive powerlifting. Do any of you guys know any good resources for learning what all that entering a meet and competing would entail? I seem to remember at least a couple of guys here competing back when I would frequent this thread.

Mrs BASE has decided she hates running and wants to lift competively instead. She has a bunch of questions that I have no idea how to answer.

Also, for the first time in almost 2yrs since I smooshed a couple discs in my back I deadlifted enough weight that it felt a little bit like a workout it would appear that doing the exact opposite of what my doctors and chiro told me to do is working out really well. Feels better than it has in 20 yrs right now.
View Quote
Find a meet, enter it.

You'll be weighed when you get there and then you'll lift.

For first timers just walk in and ask questions. Someone will help.

Powerlifters are nice people.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 10:26:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Broke thread
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 10:27:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By RolandofGilead:
We did 1RM power clean the other day before the WOD. Hit a pretty easy 270...apparently my body still remembers how to do some things. I'm sore af though lol
View Quote
Nice

I should try curling, I mean cleaning again
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 11:27:29 PM EDT
[#5]
The clean is the bestest exercise in exercise history

It's just a fact

Jerks are gay tho
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 11:33:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By MeatBag:
The clean is the bestest exercise in exercise history

It's just a fact

Jerks are gay tho
View Quote
True.

It's also the exercise I hurt myself the most doing.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 7:56:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By KaiK:

True.

It's also the exercise I hurt myself the most doing.
View Quote
At least you hurt yourself on cleans.  I did it with a stupid front squat.

I haven't deadlifted in 6 months, benched or OHP in a year or squatted regularly for 3 months, so today I'm going to find my 1rm on each, lol.  Did 14 hours of driving yesterday after spending nearly a week in Missouri.  Seems like I'm well situated for 1rms today.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:03:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By SCW:

At least you hurt yourself on cleans.  I did it with a stupid front squat.

I haven't deadlifted in 6 months, benched or OHP in a year or squatted regularly for 3 months, so today I'm going to find my 1rm on each, lol.  Did 14 hours of driving yesterday after spending nearly a week in Missouri.  Seems like I'm well situated for 1rms today.
View Quote
Get some!
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:12:15 AM EDT
[#9]
OOOOOOOOOOOOH good day yesterday. Power snatches felt money, an easy 255 power clean + power jerk, then 355 no-belt pause FS. Good times. Feel ok today too, except my left lat (like the whole gd thing) cramped this morning. 

Wife is also on the mend for workout stuff. She's been doing a lot of rowing and swings and obviously an assload of core work, what with the whole "Let's cut you open and see your guts" thing 6 months ago. She PR'd her power clean and power jerk as well, I was very proud. 

Then last night she spent basically the whole night on the toilet with some form of devil sickness. I'm WFH today to try and make sure she gets hydrated and rested.

Anyway, Hoping to hit a 400+# FS soon. Maybe in the next 60 days? That'd be a pretty wicked PR for me. I'm going to be hitting the weights hard come graduation, and there's only 5 weeks of class left.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:55:24 AM EDT
[#10]
That's nice, Rex, great lifts.  I've thought about what it would take to get a 400+ front squat, it's a possible goal if I can get a comfortable front rack position again soon.

Crossfit total went well- sorta.

395 for squats (heaviest I've squatted since I did 4 @ 425 months ago)
395 for dead (disappointing, even though I haven't dead lifted in months I thought for sure I'd get 415.  Got it well off the ground, couldn't lock it out.)
145 for OHP.  Really pleased with that, it was the first OHP in almost exactly a year, I started with an empty barbell to see if it would hurt.  I actually pressed 165 to the top but I gave it a hitch at the bottom so I was DQed on it.  My max last year was 170+/-, so getting 165 to the top felt really good.

Time to get back on a real program and get strong I think.  Working it in with a twice a week informal strong-man workout will be fun.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:08:56 PM EDT
[#11]
That's nice, Rex, great lifts.  I've thought about what it would take to get a 400+ front squat, it's a possible goal if I can get a comfortable front rack position again soon.

Crossfit total went well- sorta.

395 for squats (heaviest I've squatted since I did 4 @ 425 months ago)
395 for dead (disappointing, even though I haven't dead lifted in months I thought for sure I'd get 415.  Got it well off the ground, couldn't lock it out.)
145 for OHP.  Really pleased with that, it was the first OHP in almost exactly a year, I started with an empty barbell to see if it would hurt.  I actually pressed 165 to the top but I gave it a hitch at the bottom so I was DQed on it.  My max last year was 170+/-, so getting 165 to the top felt really good.

Time to get back on a real program and get strong I think.  Working it in with a twice a week informal strong-man workout will be fun.
View Quote
Thats great bro!

Sucks on the DQ, but it seems you have that lift under control for such a long time off.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 8:50:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By 03RN:

Find a meet, enter it.

You'll be weighed when you get there and then you'll lift.

For first timers just walk in and ask questions. Someone will help.

Powerlifters are nice people.
View Quote
I think we've found one in July. I may enter the BP only part just because my back is still too weak to do anything close to a 1rm on the squat.

I'm thinking it would probably be good to get her used to near 1rm lifts. Not sure how her grip will hold up on DL's as she's still doing 5's on everything.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:18:33 PM EDT
[#13]
@KaiK just saw your deadlift video on instagram. The 460 triple. Nice work!

If you are looking for any input, I'd say try and pull the slack out of the bar with your arms then lock in your lats before you pull. Right before you are pulling you bend your arms then pull which kinda rounds the back. My wife does it on her heavy pulls too. But anyways, that was a really solid triple!
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:40:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KaiK] [#14]
Originally Posted By AnvilUSMC:

If you are looking for any input, I'd say try and pull the slack out of the bar with your arms then lock in your lats before you pull. Right before you are pulling you bend your arms then pull which kinda rounds the back. My wife does it on her heavy pulls too. But anyways, that was a really solid triple!
View Quote
Thanks.

That bending is me trying to lock my lats.

I use too much lower back. I keep trying to fix it but It just ends up happening when I get up in weight.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:15:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks.

I use too much lower back. I keep trying to fix it but It just ends up happening when I get up in weight.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AnvilUSMC:

Thanks.

Sounds like my wife

Link for the rest of us?
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 7:02:58 AM EDT
[#16]

Sounds like my wife

Link for the rest of us?
View Quote
I thought you followed me on Instagram.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 8:46:19 AM EDT
[#17]

I thought you followed me on Instagram.
View Quote
I don't have an account there.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 9:57:10 AM EDT
[#18]

Thanks.

View Quote
Have you tried... growing your lats? Also, try doing some upper back work like face pulls.

Start at about the 5 min mark and Chris starts showing how to create that tightness. It sounds like you know what you need to do though.

DEADLIFT LIKE THE MAD SCIENTIST CHRIS DUFFIN
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:02:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Strongman competition is tomorrow.  I'll post videos later of events I don't fuck up.  

It is kind of stupid to not have lifted my competition weight atlas stone once since I picked one up in a competition in August.  Hopefully it's still there.  Our stones are outside and the weather has just been shitty.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:29:50 AM EDT
[#20]

I don't have an account there.
View Quote
Well who the hell is the weird guy who comments on my posts that looks like you?
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:48:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Strongman competition is tomorrow.  I'll post videos later of events I don't fuck up.  

It is kind of stupid to not have lifted my competition weight atlas stone once since I picked one up in a competition in August.  Hopefully it's still there.  Our stones are outside and the weather has just been shitty.
View Quote
Good luck! Looking forward to the videos.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:52:12 AM EDT
[#22]

View Quote
Speaking of strongman shit, you wanna come get riggidy riggidy wrecked, son? 

We can hit up the bebedero for a "donde esta mis pantelones" afterwards. 
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:26:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By therex:

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/s960x960/17038495_1379680775438756_9152306789473836445_o.jpg?oh=deb7bc85cd508c1256e4c181a74757cf&oe=595DFAA9
View Quote
Hell yeah.  That looks fun.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:44:21 AM EDT
[#24]

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/s960x960/17038495_1379680775438756_9152306789473836445_o.jpg?oh=deb7bc85cd508c1256e4c181a74757cf&oe=595DFAA9
View Quote
That looks fun

Bench pressed today up to 205 without pain.  I'm going to just keep increasing for a while as I get back into the lifting groove for a while, then start a cycle of 5/3/1 with the sorta strongman workouts starting in a while.

Also did 250 swings with the 70lb kb broken up with 24" box jumps, finished in 25 minutes which was pretty good for me.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:48:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Found the following on Tnation, is it broscience?

2) You'll find that you're actually stronger when training while sick! How's this possible? Starr stated the following to one of his athletes, "I explained that when he got sick, his immune system released antibodies in profusion to combat the invading toxins and microorganisms. Those antibodies are strength enhancers. This is especially true in the early stages of any illness."
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 12:49:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By SoonerBorn:
View Quote
I tried to do a push/pull competition while sick and I was weak as fuck, and shaking.  Then I projectile vomited.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 8:16:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MeatBag] [#27]
I've been messing around with giant sets lately.

Today I did:

5x
10 pull-ups
5 overhead press 80lbs 85 90 95 100
20 slasher to halos 25lbs
1:30 rest

My forearms are ded

I was sick all last week and I sure didn't feel "stronger"
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:34:38 PM EDT
[#28]

Well who the hell is the weird guy who comments on my posts that looks like you?
View Quote
Idk but that's kinda creepy.

Not as bad as shadow men but kinda creepy
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 3:37:31 AM EDT
[#29]
I did 72 push-ups. Is that Army Strong™?
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:47:18 AM EDT
[#30]

I tried to do a push/pull competition while sick and I was weak as fuck, and shaking.  Then I projectile vomited.
View Quote
That had to be horrible!
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:48:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By SoonerBorn:
View Quote
this is pure bro-science stupidity.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:56:37 AM EDT
[#32]
3's week squat. 90% x 10
1 x First set last.
5 x15 reverse hypers
3 x 10 kettlebell swings.

So I go into my den between sets, and the cat keeps swatting at the pistol, having a mock battle with it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:34:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By nyalaman:
3's week squat. 90% x 10
1 x First set last.
5 x15 reverse hypers
3 x 10 kettlebell swings.

So I go into my den between sets, and the cat keeps swatting at the pistol, having a mock battle with it.
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h86/davespringbok/Mobile%20Uploads/2017-03/CA915D00-F50A-4670-8947-337FDA39C98B_zpsqj7eoqan.jpg
View Quote
Sounds like your saying the Glock is a pussies pistol?  lol

Spent my Saturday morning on the call with a big construction company in the mid-west, I just landed my first big project in the T-line industry for my new company.  Getting pretty nervous now, not about the work or money, just about finding some help to get me caught up so that I'm not working till 11pm every night just to get further behind.  Looks like I should be turning down small projects from now on.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:51:38 PM EDT
[#34]

Spent my Saturday morning on the call with a big construction company in the mid-west, I just landed my first big project in the T-line industry for my new company.  Getting pretty nervous now, not about the work or money, just about finding some help to get me caught up so that I'm not working till 11pm every night just to get further behind.  Looks like I should be turning down small projects from now on.
View Quote
Congrats on the venture!
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 2:42:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Thor] [#35]
Book of faces video, but I think this guy takes all the preworkout. I want to be like him when I grow up.

https://www.facebook.com/TheGoNet/videos/1406440066105011/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 5:00:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LawyerUp] [#36]
Got 2nd place.  Did pretty well.  Lost only to a dude named superhulk.  I'll post the videos and AAR on Monday .

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 5:05:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Got 2nd place.  Did pretty well.  Lost only to a dude named superhulk.  I'll post the videos and AAR on Monday .

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/277223/image-173761.JPG
View Quote
Good job.

But how did you let that little guy beat you.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 5:11:54 PM EDT
[#38]

View Quote
BOOM!  Nice work.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 5:13:05 PM EDT
[#39]
You guys get in on the 20% pre-sale discount of 5/3/1 Forever yet?  20% off ends tonight.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 5:35:20 PM EDT
[#40]

View Quote
SWEET!  Congrats!

Looking forward to your update and plan looking forward to growing some calves...
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:05:55 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By turborocket:
You guys get in on the 20% pre-sale discount of 5/3/1 Forever yet?  20% off ends tonight.
View Quote
I ordered mine yesterday.

Speaking of books, anyone check out Complete Human Performance?

I am currently trying to train strength and cardio endurance and it is challenging, so it has piqued my interest.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 5:55:54 AM EDT
[#42]

View Quote
Congrats!!
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 5:59:02 AM EDT
[#43]

View Quote
That's great man!
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:58:47 AM EDT
[#44]

View Quote
Nice. For your next meet you should get "Team LawyerUp" shirts made.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 11:55:24 PM EDT
[#45]

View Quote
Nice job! 
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 11:29:06 AM EDT
[#46]
Strongman AAR:

I weighed in at 270#.  I had eaten well the past few days and took the preceding two days off.  

There were 5 guys in men's heavyweight open.  Weather was great.  I actually got sunburned, in March, in West Virginia.

Event 1 was axle clean and press 255#.  Of course I had to use a different axle then the one I trained on.  It was a slick bar, but it had two wraps.  Of course the wraps were sized for dwarves.  So I was mostly on the slick.  But it actually gripped well for the clean.  Got it up no problem and patiently put up 5 split jerks.  Which is the most I had been able to do in training.  I was pleased by that.  As expected though, I didn't get first, or second on that event because some guys are just strong as fuck overhead.  The first couple of guys were strict pressing 225 in warmups, like it was nothing.  I think I may have gotten 3rd on this.

Chocolate thunder II axle clean and press away 255#

Event 2 was axle deadlift 550# 14" pick, IRRC.  Reps in a minute.  I had no idea what I was going to do here.  Managed to pull it 6 times, which I was happy with.  Same thing with overhead.  Two guys were just stronger pullers than me.  They didn't get all that many more than me, but a few more.  One of the dudes, super hulk, has a 755# pull.  

Chocolate thunder II axle deadlift 550#

Event 3 was farmer's carry.  300# per hand for 60 feet.  I knew this would be the worst.  Of course, I had to use farmer's handles which were different from the ones I trained on.  These had knurling on the handles, which I thought would make it easier.  In the end, my left grip gave out before I made the 60 feet, but since you get one drop, I picked it again and finished the 60 feet.  Only super hulk made it the full 60 feet, so I knew that if I got there before the minute ended, I would place second.  So I bided whatever time I had left and knocked out the final 10 feet or so.  Shit was heavy.  And I felt the knurling in my left hand starting to slip from the second I picked it.  I think I like the smooth handles the best because there is more contact with your skin.

Chocolate thunder II farmers carry 300# per hand 60 feet

Event 4 was sandbag carry.  270# for 120 feet.  60 feet around a cone and 60 feet back.  I had never actually tried this with the 270# bag.  I had done it with a 250# bag and even then it was a difficult last 20 feet or so.  So I knew it would suck.  And it did.  You got one drop.  Most dropped it or failed to finish it, except super hulk.  I ended up getting it there, but I really had to get my mind right that last bit.  I was thinking, you better not fucking drop it pussy.  It sucked.

Chocolate thunder II sand bag carry 270# for 120 feet

Event 5 was, of course, atlas stones.  335# stone over a 48" bar.  Reps in a minute.  I was pretty much done at this point.  But I knew I was in second place and had to tie the guy in 3rd to finish 2nd overall.  Last year I did this 4 times, though I only got credit for 3 b/c time ran out before it actually got over the bar on rep 4.  So the guy in 3rd got 3.  I also squeaked out 3.  Barely got that 3rd one because I was just so wrecked at that point.  But, it secured 2nd for me.  I should have trained stones some in the last 6 months, which I didn't.  I also keep forgetting to narrow my stance before I load the stone.

Chocolate thunder II atlas stones 335# at 48"
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 11:47:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AnvilUSMC] [#47]
Strongman AAR:

I weighed in at 270#.  I had eaten well the past few days and took the preceding two days off.  

There were 5 guys in men's heavyweight open.  Weather was great.  I actually got sunburned, in March, in West Virginia.

Event 1 was axle clean and press 255#.  Of course I had to use a different axle then the one I trained on.  It was a slick bar, but it had two wraps.  Of course the wraps were sized for dwarves.  So I was mostly on the slick.  But it actually gripped well for the clean.  Got it up no problem and patiently put up 5 split jerks.  Which is the most I had been able to do in training.  I was pleased by that.  As expected though, I didn't get first, or second on that event because some guys are just strong as fuck overhead.  The first couple of guys were strict pressing 225 in warmups, like it was nothing.  I think I may have gotten 3rd on this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJWSWwHmdFc

Event 2 was axle deadlift 550# 14" pick, IRRC.  Reps in a minute.  I had no idea what I was going to do here.  Managed to pull it 6 times, which I was happy with.  Same thing with overhead.  Two guys were just stronger pullers than me.  They didn't get all that many more than me, but a few more.  One of the dudes, super hulk, has a 755# pull.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKztbqQ4-jk

Event 3 was farmer's carry.  300# per hand for 60 feet.  I knew this would be the worst.  Of course, I had to use farmer's handles which were different from the ones I trained on.  These had knurling on the handles, which I thought would make it easier.  In the end, my left grip gave out before I made the 60 feet, but since you get one drop, I picked it again and finished the 60 feet.  Only super hulk made it the full 60 feet, so I knew that if I got there before the minute ended, I would place second.  So I bided whatever time I had left and knocked out the final 10 feet or so.  Shit was heavy.  And I felt the knurling in my left hand starting to slip from the second I picked it.  I think I like the smooth handles the best because there is more contact with your skin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wr57VI31NM

Event 4 was sandbag carry.  270# for 120 feet.  60 feet around a cone and 60 feet back.  I had never actually tried this with the 270# bag.  I had done it with a 250# bag and even then it was a difficult last 20 feet or so.  So I knew it would suck.  And it did.  You got one drop.  Most dropped it or failed to finish it, except super hulk.  I ended up getting it there, but I really had to get my mind right that last bit.  I was thinking, you better not fucking drop it pussy.  It sucked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4u5HvZ3ltk8

Event 5 was, of course, atlas stones.  335# stone over a 48" bar.  Reps in a minute.  I was pretty much done at this point.  But I knew I was in second place and had to tie the guy in 3rd to finish 2nd overall.  Last year I did this 4 times, though I only got credit for 3 b/c time ran out before it actually got over the bar on rep 4.  So the guy in 3rd got 3.  I also squeaked out 3.  Barely got that 3rd one because I was just so wrecked at that point.  But, it secured 2nd for me.  I should have trained stones some in the last 6 months, which I didn't.  I also keep forgetting to narrow my stance before I load the stone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcyqxWYF2WI
View Quote
That's awesome! You did great grinding out that bag and that last rep on the stone.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:21:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Strongman AAR:

View Quote
Great job, dude. Performance to be proud of for sure.

but I have a question. It's one I've had before, but why that kick jerk? I'm sure it's just muscle memory but a push jerk would be more efficient than what you're doing, and you've got the strength, that "split" is taking a ton of time, and you have to then step forward before you get your down call. 
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 3:31:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LawyerUp] [#49]
Great job, dude. Performance to be proud of for sure.

but I have a question. It's one I've had before, but why that kick jerk? I'm sure it's just muscle memory but a push jerk would be more efficient than what you're doing, and you've got the strength, that "split" is taking a ton of time, and you have to then step forward before you get your down call. 
View Quote
I just can't do it with a push jerk.  I don't have the strength.   I almost went off the mat w/ my foot at one point and you can probably hear me curse, during the event.  I plan on increasing my push press first, then maybe I'll work on my technique once I'm stronger.

eta:  are you doing that one in charlottesville?  i may sign up for that.  Wagon Wheel squat sounds cool.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 4:15:16 PM EDT
[#50]

eta:  are you doing that one in charlottesville?  i may sign up for that.  Wagon Wheel squat sounds cool.
View Quote
You should sign up for it. I'll be volunteering, I think. 
Page / 769
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top