Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 769
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 10:01:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AnvilUSMC:

Thanks! Well it is messy compared to my neighbors' garages.
View Quote
Yeah, my neighbors all of the epoxy floor spotless garages.  Whatever, I'm usually tinkering in mine, so it has too be somewhat messy.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 3:51:16 PM EDT
[#2]

Ammonia. Gets the adrenaline pumping, opens the airway, activates kill mode. I forget which brand that is, but it's basically nose tork.
View Quote
How much more do you lift because of it?

I'd like to hit 500 and be done with it, will it help?
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 6:07:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Gmezz4:

Interesting. I like it. I may have to try that out.
View Quote
Just looked. The brand I have is Zone smelling salts. It's on amazon prime. I just got it. Up until now I was using the single use ammonia inhalants like at the dr office.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 6:07:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By 03RN:
Nice lift
View Quote
Thanks! Now I just gotta do it off the floor!
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 6:09:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By SoonerBorn:

View Quote
I don't know if it makes you lift more. Just focus better. I hardly use the stuff to be honest. Just kinda fun once in awhile.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 6:18:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KaiK] [#6]

I don't know if it makes you lift more. Just focus better. I hardly use the stuff to be honest. Just kinda fun once in awhile.
View Quote
Doesn't it also keep you from passing out?
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 8:47:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By KaiK:

Doesn't it also keep you from passing out?
View Quote
That's why they have the single use inhalants at doctors offices. They give you a little pop of adrenaline basically.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 9:37:55 PM EDT
[#8]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Wanna know what gas rotting lobster bait emits? Ammonia. I inhaled so much I hardly even notice it anymore.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 9:46:39 PM EDT
[#9]

That's why they have the single use inhalants at doctors offices. They give you a little pop of adrenaline basically.
View Quote
Interesting.  Good lifts, anvil.

So-

Since the guy that owned the local crossfit gym split with his wife; she took over and the programming looks like a woman picked it.  Running, jump ropes, playground games (waiting for duck-duck-goose to be in a WOD soon).

I asked and was given permission her to start an informal strength based (strong man-esque?) WOD in the evenings after her last classes.  She just started a boot camp for fat chick's that will bump a strength WOD till about 7:00pm

I told her I'd buy some implements and gear to start with, basically a few things that I want anyway.  Then I'd have to get my greenhouse finished first, so probably start in two months, give or take.

Suggestions?

I need to start thinking of both gear and programming
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 8:26:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Deads, squat, bench, pullups
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 9:41:29 AM EDT
[#11]
View Quote
May as well throw in some OHP
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 10:28:25 AM EDT
[#12]
View Quote
Farmers carries, sandbag carries, Atlas stones, sled drags?
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 10:54:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By SCW:

View Quote
All those are good, esp. farmer carries. if you have the implements, I'm pretty convinced that a loaded carry is one of the best things you can do to make your whole body stronger and if your grip sucks guess what you should be doing.

For stones...just be careful. It's more technique than people think (as I'm sure you know) but the last thing you need is some noobfuck dropping a hundreds-of-pounds ball of concrete on his foot. 
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 12:12:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LawyerUp] [#14]
Originally Posted By therex:
All those are good, esp. farmer carries. if you have the implements, I'm pretty convinced that a loaded carry is one of the best things you can do to make your whole body stronger and if your grip sucks guess what you should be doing.

For stones...just be careful. It's more technique than people think (as I'm sure you know) but the last thing you need is some noobfuck dropping a hundreds-of-pounds ball of concrete on his foot. 
View All Quotes

Speaking of farmer's carry.  Did my last one pre-contest at 300# per hand.  I need to make 60 feet.  I got so much chalk on my hands that I couldn't fit anymore.  And I stopped bracing so hard on my belt and instead focused on short quick breaths.  It worked better.  I made it to the back wall, then tried to turn and keep going, but ran out of room.  

Tried a 265# axle clean and press and got it.  So feeling a little more confident on not choking on 255.

eta:

300# per hand farmers carry
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 12:58:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By LawyerUp:

Speaking of farmer's carry.  Did my last one pre-contest at 300# per hand.  I need to make 60 feet.  I got so much chalk on my hands that I couldn't fit anymore.  And I stopped bracing so hard on my belt and instead focused on short quick breaths.  It worked better.  I made it to the back wall, then tried to turn and keep going, but ran out of room.  

Tried a 265# axle clean and press and got it.  So feeling a little more confident on not choking on 255.

eta:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g25MmCwvWr4
View Quote
300# per hand farmers carry is damned impressive.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 2:04:19 PM EDT
[#16]

eta:

View Quote
Awesome progress on the carries!
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 3:26:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Bud:

300# per hand farmers carry is damned impressive.
View Quote
Thanks.  I have a video from not that long ago where I couldn't even pick it up.  I'll tell you, heavy lifting has done wonders for my back.  I used to have a bad back.  Knock on wood, it was cured and stronger than ever.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 11:07:49 PM EDT
[#18]

Interesting.  Good lifts, anvil.

So-

Since the guy that owned the local crossfit gym split with his wife; she took over and the programming looks like a woman picked it.  Running, jump ropes, playground games (waiting for duck-duck-goose to be in a WOD soon).

I asked and was given permission her to start an informal strength based (strong man-esque?) WOD in the evenings after her last classes.  She just started a boot camp for fat chick's that will bump a strength WOD till about 7:00pm

I told her I'd buy some implements and gear to start with, basically a few things that I want anyway.  Then I'd have to get my greenhouse finished first, so probably start in two months, give or take.

Suggestions?

I need to start thinking of both gear and programming
View Quote
You really sound like a guy that needed to take on another challenge. Do you ever sleep?
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 8:32:43 AM EDT
[#19]
New lab results:

Link Posted: 3/21/2017 9:07:42 AM EDT
[#20]
New lab results:
http://i.imgur.com/qjB3wRu.png

View Quote
That doesn't look promising. Injections on the table?
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 9:20:37 AM EDT
[#21]

That doesn't look promising. Injections on the table?
View Quote
We want more children, we're on hold until my wife's cancer doc says we're ok to try. I have secondary low T, since my LH and FSH is (or was) low. I wish he'd have pulled that panel too, though maybe those results just aren't in yet. (Doubt it, they come from the same lab) 
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 9:59:44 AM EDT
[#22]
We want more children, we're on hold until my wife's cancer doc says we're ok to try. I have secondary low T, since my LH and FSH is (or was) low. I wish he'd have pulled that panel too, though maybe those results just aren't in yet. (Doubt it, they come from the same lab) 
View Quote
Look at using HCG to keep boys active.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 11:08:20 AM EDT
[#23]

eta:

View Quote
Nice walk man!
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 12:11:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Ok, here it is. This is the rogue ohio deadlift bar in action. Loaded it up to 605lbs off blocks(40lb pr) and pushed the weights out to the end to maximize the whip. Ignore the garage being messy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42r945lWCIM

http://youtu.be/42r945lWCIM
View Quote
nice pullin...
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 12:36:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Getting back to a pretty active level. Hiked on Saturday, swam on Sunday, lift and wrestle on Monday.

Sex and archery practice most days. Set up 35, 40, and 50 yard targets in the yard.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 2:23:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By nyalaman:

nice pullin...
View Quote
Thanks. After watching the videos more I think I learned quite a bit. Pros: I am keeping my back flatter than even just a few weeks ago and my hamstrings seem to be coming along(been doing GHRs). Cons: Why are my hands so wide? I used to have a little wider stance, so it may be a hold over from that. But I need to address it to see if it is the best position for my shoulders or actually just a limiting factor. I also need to stop looking all over the frikking place.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 2:41:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Can someone explain to me what Rippetoe means in the following statement about romanian deadlifts?

The RDL is a great exercise for your lower back. It is especially useful to get stronger in the first couple of inches of your deadlift.
View Quote
This statement was taken from the following article:  Ripp on RDL

I've never understood how a lift that never goes to the ground can help at the starting point of the deadlift.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 2:55:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By flinch08:
Getting back to a pretty active level. Hiked on Saturday, swam on Sunday, lift and wrestle on Monday.

Sex and archery practice most days. Set up 35, 40, and 50 yard targets in the yard.
View Quote
Nice feels good don't it
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 2:56:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Can someone explain to me what Rippetoe means in the following statement about romanian deadlifts?

I've never understood how a lift that never goes to the ground can help at the starting point of the deadlift.
View All Quotes

The RDL is a great exercise for your lower back. It is especially useful to get stronger in the first couple of inches of your deadlift.

It works the muscle most involved with the first few inches
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 3:04:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AnvilUSMC] [#30]

View All Quotes

I just read the article and have the video going now. First, whenever you see Rippetoe's name associated with information understand that it is generally solid advice for relatively new lifters. He makes his money on getting beginners strong but these techniques don't always carry over to intermediate lifters and carry over even less often to advanced lifters.

Now, from the article/video it seems like he is saying RDLs are a good assistance exercise because it stretches the muscles more since you are controlling the bar on the way down and then reversing the path of travel using only your muscles. So it is better because you aren't 1)bouncing bumpers off the deck(he is making jabs at crossfit) and 2) you aren't just locking out then dumping the bar to the floor which doesn't work the eccentric portion of the deadlift so much.

So basically, you are lighting up the muscles you use to get the bar off the ground without cheating.

Edit: lol, after I wrote Rip generally gears his stuff to more entry level type folks he finished the video with saying he does not really recommend RDLs for novice lifters.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 3:38:26 PM EDT
[#31]

View Quote
I think it's more that the deadlift doesn't have an eccentric, but the RDL does. It's going to work parts of your p-chain that doesn't get hit as hard doing a standard dead. 
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 5:01:18 PM EDT
[#32]

I just read the article and have the video going now. First, whenever you see Rippetoe's name associated with information understand that it is generally solid advice for relatively new lifters. He makes his money on getting beginners strong but these techniques don't always carry over to intermediate lifters and carry over even less often to advanced lifters.

Now, from the article/video it seems like he is saying RDLs are a good assistance exercise because it stretches the muscles more since you are controlling the bar on the way down and then reversing the path of travel using only your muscles. So it is better because you aren't 1)bouncing bumpers off the deck(he is making jabs at crossfit) and 2) you aren't just locking out then dumping the bar to the floor which doesn't work the eccentric portion of the deadlift so much.

So basically, you are lighting up the muscles you use to get the bar off the ground without cheating.

Edit: lol, after I wrote Rip generally gears his stuff to more entry level type folks he finished the video with saying he does not really recommend RDLs for novice lifters.
View Quote
Makes sense, thanks bro!
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 6:51:34 PM EDT
[#33]
New lab results:
http://i.imgur.com/qjB3wRu.png

View Quote
Yay you're in the normal zone.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 7:12:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Nice feels good don't it
View All Quotes

Nice feels good don't it
Yes it does. Easy day today with more swimming and grappling tomorrow.

School is going well enough. My GPA and expected HESI exam score just about guarantee me a spot. Diversity rules cover the rest. Not a lot of middle aged, white, males, applying for nursing school.

Pretty cool you are so close to finishing.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 7:29:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By KaiK:

Yay you're in the normal zone.
View Quote
Lol yaaaay! Now we can stop, please pay your copay when you leave!
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 8:30:33 PM EDT
[#36]

Lol yaaaay! Now we can stop, please pay your copay when you leave!
View Quote
Yep.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 11:27:28 AM EDT
[#37]
Back to lifting stuff.

Did high rep squats today.  265# till I couldn't do anymore x 3

Worked on calves and some hamstring stuff post high reps.

Legs always get wobbly on high rep day.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 12:35:23 PM EDT
[#38]

Yes it does. Easy day today with more swimming and grappling tomorrow.

School is going well enough. My GPA and expected HESI exam score just about guarantee me a spot. Diversity rules cover the rest. Not a lot of middle aged, white, males, applying for nursing school.

Pretty cool you are so close to finishing.
View Quote
Good to hear. When are you starting?

I'd of rather done 2 years of boot camp
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 12:38:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Wife and I went to deadlift this morning.

I was on my second warm up set with 225 and stopped. Nothing hurt but my hip was feeling weird. I didn't go any farther. I did pullups and rows while my wife did her deadlifts.

I might try again Friday afternoon.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 2:31:30 PM EDT
[#40]
We did 1RM power clean the other day before the WOD. Hit a pretty easy 270...apparently my body still remembers how to do some things. I'm sore af though lol
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 3:02:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Wife and I went to deadlift this morning.

I was on my second warm up set with 225 and stopped. Nothing hurt but my hip was feeling weird. I didn't go any farther. I did pullups and rows while my wife did her deadlifts.

I might try again Friday afternoon.
View Quote
Smart move and you still got some good work in.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 3:03:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By RolandofGilead:
We did 1RM power clean the other day before the WOD. Hit a pretty easy 270...apparently my body still remembers how to do some things. I'm sore af though lol
View Quote
Nice!
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 3:22:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Went to a chiro for the first time today and got adjusted.  Snap, crackle, pop.  It all popped.  The guy used to lift and he has a machine gun collection.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 3:47:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Went to a chiro for the first time today and got adjusted.  Snap, crackle, pop.  It all popped.  The guy used to lift and he has a machine gun collection.
View Quote
I've had three trips to a guy that does myofascial pressure to release the adhesion between skin and fascia.

Hurts. Like.  Hell.

But it really works well.  My posture, position under the bar, squat depth and width, shin splints, etc are all improved.  When he worked over my feet and shins it felt like I'd never stood on my feet before.  They felt completely different, like they were completely connected to the ground and directly under me.

The pain while he's doing it is unreal.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 4:38:22 PM EDT
[#45]
When do you incorporate straps into deads? My grip, even mixed, fails before my muscles. I'm doing KB swings and a
hand gripper (Captains of Crush) to improve grip strength. Do I go higher reps till my grip catches up or straps?
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 4:48:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By colt_thompson:
When do you incorporate straps into deads? My grip, even mixed, fails before my muscles. I'm doing KB swings and a
hand gripper (Captains of Crush) to improve grip strength. Do I go higher reps till my grip catches up or straps?
View Quote
I use straps so that I can go double overhand, and to allow me to lift more reps without destroying my grip.  But if I had to, I could pick up anything I lift with straps using no straps.  Take your KBs and walk long distances with them.  Your grip will improve.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 7:08:04 PM EDT
[#47]
I don't know jack shit about competitive powerlifting. Do any of you guys know any good resources for learning what all that entering a meet and competing would entail? I seem to remember at least a couple of guys here competing back when I would frequent this thread.

Mrs BASE has decided she hates running and wants to lift competively instead. She has a bunch of questions that I have no idea how to answer.

Also, for the first time in almost 2yrs since I smooshed a couple discs in my back I deadlifted enough weight that it felt a little bit like a workout it would appear that doing the exact opposite of what my doctors and chiro told me to do is working out really well. Feels better than it has in 20 yrs right now.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 10:14:38 PM EDT
[#48]
View Quote
what is the volume on your DL day?
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 10:20:17 PM EDT
[#49]
View Quote
Never
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 10:22:07 PM EDT
[#50]

Smart move and you still got some good work in.
View Quote
Yeah, trying not to injure myself. Might back off to everyother week for deads  for a little bit and run more
Page / 769
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top