Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2011 8:51:06 PM EDT
After seeing all the ideas on the other pullup bars I figured you guys could point me in the right direction.

What is a good way to hang a pullup bar from exposed rafters
Like this

I do have a olympic bar and squat rack that I recently picked up and was wondering if you could just do a simple drop down bracket and hang the bar across them? Or is it better to just do a dedicated pullup bar?
Link Posted: 9/1/2011 7:01:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I just built one using 1" pipe.

2 flanges
2 90 elbows
2 pipes with appropriate drop down length
1 pipe with appropriate width. I used 4'.
8 1-1/2" screws.

The hardware store will usually cut and thread the ends if you need that done.

Just screw it all together forming a U and bolt it to the rafters. YMMV

Cost $28
Link Posted: 9/1/2011 8:16:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/1/2011 9:31:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Google ' joist mount chin-up bars' .  Click on Pacillo's, what they show is essentially what I've got. (much older,though)  But I'm likin' the one they have with the add'l neutral grips. Solid as hell. And they're 20 mins away, might have to take a ride. Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/1/2011 9:46:22 AM EDT
[#4]
easiest way is to do rope or ring pullups. Just drape the rope over the rafter. I would personally tie into more than 2 rafters though. But I weigh 280 lbs.
Link Posted: 9/1/2011 10:23:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
easiest way is to do rope or ring pullups. Just drape the rope over the rafter. I would personally tie into more than 2 rafters though. But I weigh 280 lbs.

That is the simplest way, certainly not the easiest.
Link Posted: 9/1/2011 11:03:41 AM EDT
[#6]
grab exposed rafters?

Link Posted: 9/1/2011 3:04:35 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

2 flanges

2 90 elbows

8 1-1/2" screws.

Cost $28

Yep, here's mine:

Link Posted: 9/1/2011 3:09:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:

2 flanges
2 90 elbows
8 1-1/2" screws.

Cost $28

Yep, here's mine:  

You using pine tar on that tape for better grip?!

If not, wash your hands!
Link Posted: 9/1/2011 3:13:32 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

2 flanges

2 90 elbows

8 1-1/2" screws.

Cost $28

Yep, here's mine:  

If not, wash your hands!

Hey, hands get dirty when you go from pushups on the garage floor straight to the pullup bar!!

Link Posted: 9/1/2011 3:19:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

2 flanges
2 90 elbows
8 1-1/2" screws.

Cost $28

Yep, here's mine:  

If not, wash your hands!

Hey, hands get dirty when you go from pushups on the garage floor straight to the pullup bar!!

On a serious note, how would you compare the stability of your rig compared to an olympic cage?  Ive seen you and your wife unit do kipping on that thing, so it seems pretty stable to me, if youve done pullups on an olympic cage can you compare contrast?
Link Posted: 9/1/2011 4:35:23 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

2 flanges

2 90 elbows

8 1-1/2" screws.

Cost $28

Yep, here's mine:  

If not, wash your hands!

On a serious note, how would you compare the stability of your rig compared to an olympic cage?  Ive seen you and your wife unit do kipping on that thing, so it seems pretty stable to me, if youve done pullups on an olympic cage can you compare contrast?

A couple of the lag bolts on one side are loosening up after about 3 years of steady use, easy fix just haven't done it yet. I have done pullups on a cage before, and usually have to weigh it down with plates to keep it from rocking...it was probably not a very high quality unit though.

Link Posted: 9/1/2011 5:05:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is the simplest way, certainly not the easiest.

touche, but if my fat tail could do towel pullups at 295 when I was playing ball in college they can't be that hard. Plus the advantage is that you dont torque your elbows/shoulders when using rings. Some say this allows you to do pullups more often without feeling like you're overtraining.

As far as grip goes get chaulk. it helps a ton. Then when your grip is gone and you can still pull, get some shrug hooks or some straps. I almost always have to use them if I'm adding weight to the dip belt
Link Posted: 9/1/2011 7:22:30 PM EDT
[#13]
A very strong and simple method, cheapest I know of is 1" black pipe, single piece.

Two 2x4's bolted to the vertical joists and hanging down below the rafters a foot or so. Drill a hole through both 2x4's, pass the black pipe between, viola.

$8 or so.
Link Posted: 9/1/2011 7:36:36 PM EDT
[#14]
So when I am bolting stuff to the joists what do I need to put on the backside?? Washers or something?

I have pretty much no experience with building stuff in general

Quoted:
Google ' joist mount chin-up bars' .  Click on Pacillo's, what they show is essentially what I've got. (much older,though)  But I'm likin' the one they have with the add'l neutral grips. Solid as hell. And they're 20 mins away, might have to take a ride. Good luck!

I like that a lot but I was thinking a bit cheaper.
Link Posted: 9/4/2011 6:58:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
A very strong and simple method, cheapest I know of is 1" black pipe, single piece.

Two 2x4's bolted to the vertical joists and hanging down below the rafters a foot or so. Drill a hole through both 2x4's, pass the black pipe between, viola.

$8 or so.

Not To Hijack your thread but a rant and then a question...
Have the same kind put up for about a month and have only used it once to test it, also have the P90X still in unopened box for 2 months.Have to figure how to better allocate my time.
       My schedule is up at 5am head to work at 6am-4:00pm, Tues-Sat. Coach son's football team on Mon, Thurs, and Fri 6-8pm with game on Sunday morning. Have classes on Monday morning at 8am, 10:45, and 2:15pm, One class on Wednesday at 5:45-10pm, and one other class online. And finally every Tuesday night is Cub Scout night(I'm the Den Leader) And finally my one day to rest is now "Honey do list" I keep telling myself I want to work out but at end of day can't get motivated enough to work out. Any one have and tricks or suggestions for getting motivated?
       Right now I don't work out at all and am average build, 39yrs old, 172lbs, 5"10, 9% body fat. I don't eat healthy, drink a 12pack of Mt. Dews a day and eat a box of moon pies a day.
Doctor says I am fit as a 18yr old, no medical issues. Any suggestion as how to motivate myself? Have a buddy who is State Trooper and he has dared me to go run with him(he's running 6 minute miles), might just do it to see if I can even make it a mile. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 9/4/2011 8:21:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Go with your buddy. I hate going to the gym alone. I get bored easier, and lose motivation. If I go with a buddy, I'll stay until they quit. So find a buddy and go.

Quoted:
Quoted:

$8 or so.

Not To Hijack your thread but a rant and then a question...
Have the same kind put up for about a month and have only used it once to test it, also have the P90X still in unopened box for 2 months.Have to figure how to better allocate my time.
       My schedule is up at 5am head to work at 6am-4:00pm, Tues-Sat. Coach son's football team on Mon, Thurs, and Fri 6-8pm with game on Sunday morning. Have classes on Monday morning at 8am, 10:45, and 2:15pm, One class on Wednesday at 5:45-10pm, and one other class online. And finally every Tuesday night is Cub Scout night(I'm the Den Leader) And finally my one day to rest is now "Honey do list" I keep telling myself I want to work out but at end of day can't get motivated enough to work out. Any one have and tricks or suggestions for getting motivated?
       Right now I don't work out at all and am average build, 39yrs old, 172lbs, 5"10, 9% body fat. I don't eat healthy, drink a 12pack of Mt. Dews a day and eat a box of moon pies a day.
Doctor says I am fit as a 18yr old, no medical issues. Any suggestion as how to motivate myself? Have a buddy who is State Trooper and he has dared me to go run with him(he's running 6 minute miles), might just do it to see if I can even make it a mile. Thanks in advance.

Link Posted: 9/11/2011 4:49:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Here is what I use.  It's also another pull-up bar thread if you need more ideas.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_113/1216362_Pullup_bar.html&page=1#i29565920
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 9:10:04 AM EDT
[#18]

Does it swing a lot?  I was thinking of making a fixed one out of black iron pipe in the garage, but I think it would be nice to be able to adjust the chain if my wife ever wanted to use it, and I could also hang a heavy bag from the eye bolts.
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 9:32:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Does it swing a lot?  I was thinking of making a fixed one out of black iron pipe in the garage, but I think it would be nice to be able to adjust the chain if my wife ever wanted to use it, and I could also hang a heavy bag from the eye bolts.

It will swing, but I wanted the ability to move it up out of my way if I need to, so that's the tradeoff.  It hasn't been that big of an issue though.

Link Posted: 9/13/2011 4:07:06 PM EDT
[#20]
if you wanted to change up grips and such you could get a pair of rings on chains to hang there too. That would be way awesome. Good work man.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top