BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 10:40:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: gsd1983] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DieselII:
Sorry - cant reply without quoting someones post ..
View Quote

^^Ditto. Changed display format to "Classic", went back to something similar to old style. Bearable now.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 10:59:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Finally figured out how to post after 15 minutes looks really bad on a big screen computer each post takes up a whole page and I have to scroll 5 miles to get to the bottom. I Ok maybe not 5 miles but you get my point.  I even tried re-sizing my browser to 75% and it did not help it looks like it would probably be fine on a phone but definitely a fail on a PC.   Is there a way to go  back to classic that I am missing?
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 11:04:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cjwwd2] [#3]
Originally Posted By gsd1983:

^^Ditto. Changed display format to "Classic", went back to something similar to old style. Bearable now.
View Quote

How'd you do this?
ETA: found it...ew, this is even worse!
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 11:04:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TacticalHeater] [#4]
The spacing on the posts are far and wide, the scrolling is excessive, the place feels quiet when in fact it's bustling with post traffic, it feels impersonal or non-energetic imo.

IMO adding some colors, bringing out the topics better with better spacing, and giving the folders some more distinctive colors would help a ton.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 11:12:04 AM EDT
[#5]
This may have been mentioned, but I would like to see more contrast between the "No New Posts" and "New Posts" indicators.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 11:23:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Walkure:
For anybody wondering what we're complaining about, here's a view of GD side-by-side.

http://AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/106617/new-arfcom-blows-97201.JPG

TONS of wasted space, half the number of threads (and posts) per viewable area, plus smaller, less distinctive icons.

Yeah, huge improvement.
View Quote

I can see what you and many others are talking about now.

Maybe it will be a few adjustments from GB and it will improve the laptop/desktop experience.

Link Posted: 12/2/2016 12:42:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I always used the mobile version on the desktop due to restricted data speeds here in the boonies.  It made it easy to follow discussions without seeing huge avatars/user info and huge banners.  Is there anyway to access the mobile version on a desktop?  This full version is just too annoying.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 1:15:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By wolfdentd:

How come when I try to attach a photo it asks for a URL. But from what I have been reading, a photo host is no longer required. We are supposed to be able download photos directly from our computers
View Quote

It appears that uploading images from hard drives or sources other than a hosting site is reserved for paid members. I'm not yet a paid member and that function is disabled for me.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 1:23:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Ugh I'm not this BLIND.

Please put it back.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 2:01:03 PM EDT
[#10]
The experience on my mobile device (iPhone) is terrible.  

Specifically: when viewing subscriptions, I can no longer see the forum the thread is from, nor the name of the person who made the last post.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 2:01:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 2:03:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By umungus1122:
Absolutely. The old format was perfect, there's far too much wasted space in the new format. I dislike this new format enough that I will probably cancel my membership and dispute the charge on my CC. This is NOT what I paid for.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By umungus1122:
For anybody wondering what we're complaining about, here's a view of GD side-by-side.

http://AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/106617/new-arfcom-blows-97201.JPG

TONS of wasted space, half the number of threads (and posts) per viewable area, plus smaller, less distinctive icons.

Yeah, huge improvement.
Absolutely. The old format was perfect, there's far too much wasted space in the new format. I dislike this new format enough that I will probably cancel my membership and dispute the charge on my CC. This is NOT what I paid for.

I'm not going to go that far, but I'll be browsing the site far less (or not at all).  I'll wait to see how much I'm on now before I make the decision to renew or not.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 2:06:52 PM EDT
[#13]
How do I get rid of this at the top half of my screen...!!  Really screws up trying to view the site on an iPad.  Plus it moves, ducks and weaves while scrolling....  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 2:15:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 2:57:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 3:35:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Is it a bug report that AdBlock no longer blocks ads?

And why is my text so fucking tiny in the test editor and big when reading posts?

I'm not diggin this new look.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 3:36:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By MikefromTX:

And why is my text so fucking tiny in the test editor and big when reading posts?

View Quote

Don't think it's a bug.

There is some good info here to remedy: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1939140_AdBlock-on-the-new-format.html
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 3:40:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MikefromTX] [#18]
Originally Posted By cjwwd2:

How'd you do this?
ETA: found it...ew, this is even worse!
View Quote

Where exactly did you find it if I may ask? I'm not seeing it. maybe it's the headache I have from reading big text here and microscopic text there.

ETA: Dammit, it didn't include all the quotes. This is about changing to Classic view or mode.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 4:12:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By basselope22:

Don't think it's a bug.

There is some good info here to remedy: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1939140_AdBlock-on-the-new-format.html
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By basselope22:
Originally Posted By MikefromTX:

Don't think it's a bug.

Thank you for the info.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 4:17:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Wow, after looking at the site for awhile, then going outside to get the mail, I find I'm cross-eyed as hell. 
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 5:25:54 PM EDT
[#21]
How does one leave feed back now? Can't figure it out! Man do I hate change!  
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 5:47:45 PM EDT
[#22]
How do I get to the 3 Gun Nation forums?
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 5:48:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 6:23:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Found the solution for non-mobile guys:  Point on the little dood in the upper right corner then click on 'Forum Preferences'.  Change font size to "extra small" and the forum once again becomes usable on a PC.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 6:39:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By JayC:
Found the solution for non-mobile guys:  Point on the little dood in the upper right corner then click on 'Forum Preferences'.  Change font size to "extra small" and the forum once again becomes usable on a PC.
View Quote

Nah. All this does is make it even more unreadable, and significantly increase the amount of wasted space
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 8:44:04 PM EDT
[#26]
It's very hard to tell, at a glace while scanning subscriptions, which threads have new posts - the color difference is hard to distinguish.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 10:47:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LonnieP] [#27]
Initially I was very upset with the format, but I've found with a laptop that classic mode, horizontal format & extra small text makes it closer to the original format.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 11:08:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By mmsSierra:
How do I get to the 3 Gun Nation forums?
View Quote

http://3gn.ar15.com/forums/b/13_3_Gun_Nation.html
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 11:12:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By LonnieP:
Initially I was very upset with the format, but I've found with a laptop that classic mode, horizontal format & extra small text makes it closer to the original format.
View Quote

I tried that and even though some replies are a single line they still take 2 posts per screen.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 11:51:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BigDozer66] [#30]
Originally Posted By Ajek:
The experience on my mobile device (iPhone) is terrible.  

Specifically: when viewing subscriptions, I can no longer see the forum the thread is from, nor the name of the person who made the last post.
View Quote

No problems on my Samsung Galaxy S7.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 9:28:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Most annoying thing to me is when looking at threads within a sub-forum, and looking at the "last post" date column, none say "today". They all list the number date, so you have to know the current date to be able to tell what has been posted today.

Any other forum I've ever used say either "today", "yesterday" or the number date if older. It catches your attention sooner.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 10:33:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Seems like the search isn't working very well, not sure if this is related to the new site design or not.  I'm having trouble getting search results and it does some strange things.  For example, here's one that says it returned 4 results yet the "result" is "no results":

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 10:49:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Pretty much have it the way I want it. Got rid of the extraneous bs, went horizontal "classic" mode. I'm ok with drop downs though I might be in the minority. In classic mode there's way to large a template dedicate to member info. It and the text boxes need to be scaled down. Unread / read folder color contrast needs to be better. Other than that, I like the appearance.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 11:04:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Just realized I can no longer delete IM's.  Anybody else having that problem?
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 1:04:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By hammermill290:
View Quote

You have to open each one individually and delete from there. Moderately annoying, basically the same as this whole update.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 2:01:03 PM EDT
[#36]
It might take a little time but I will get use to this. Not crazy about all the black.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 2:18:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Anyone know of a way to get rid of the classic view and use the new one? I really liked the new design and would like that instead of the old
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 3:40:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By kabal57:
Anyone know of a way to get rid of the classic view and use the new one? I really liked the new design and would like that instead of the old
View Quote

Select Account Settings (little dude upper right)

Select Forum Preferences from drop down menu

One of the choices will be Thread Display

Click small arrow in window

Select Vertical

Click Update Preferences

Link Posted: 12/3/2016 3:57:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Well after all the griping I did when this crap started up I'm happy to say that a lot of the new "features" have been fixed.  It's been a real chore getting used to this new format.  I still prefer the old comfortable look because I knew where everything was and I could fly through this site and get a lot done quickly.  

I did break down and try it out on my Android phone with a Chrome browser and... I hate to say this but it is really incredible.  It's just too bad that the mobile experience had to be improved at such great cost to the laptop experience.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 6:04:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: logan10] [#40]
Originally Posted By Cammer:
Well after all the griping I did when this crap started up I'm happy to say that a lot of the new "features" have been fixed.  It's been a real chore getting used to this new format.  I still prefer the old comfortable look because I knew where everything was and I could fly through this site and get a lot done quickly.  

I did break down and try it out on my Android phone with a Chrome browser and... I hate to say this but it is really incredible.  It's just too bad that the mobile experience had to be improved at such great cost to the laptop experience.
View Quote

Much of the appearance can be addressed by the individual user. I've unassed the ads, dead spaces, and am currently in the vertical mode. Buttons or drop downs I give a rat about. Looks and functions just fine on my laptop.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 6:33:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PeakMPD] [#41]
Anyone know how to go about "bumping" an ad in the equipment exchange?  The new layout seems to have done away with the ad management page.  Replying to my own ad did not work.

Also, is there any way to search all of the equipment exchange at one time?  The way it's working now, each sub-forum needs to be searched individually, which kind of sucks.
========
EDIT: Found the ad management section. That little wrench & screwdriver thing in the upper left.  How about some descriptive text under those icons?
Still trying to figure out the search thing.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 7:44:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By logan10:

Much of the appearance can be addressed by the individual user. I've unassed the ads, dead spaces, and am currently in the vertical mode. Buttons or drop downs I give a rat about. Looks and functions just fine on my laptop.
View Quote

I agree with you there.  But that first day was rough.  No amount of playing with preferences or format could make it comfortable for me.  It seems there's been a happy compromise found at this point, or close to it.

I still prefer the old style of course, because that's what I've been using since... 14 years ago?  Damn...
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 8:00:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stfm] [#43]
If I am signed in I cannot go to    Gen. discussion,   if I sign out I can go to Gen. discussion

what's up guys you got my money let me have GD

FIXED
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 8:25:13 PM EDT
[#44]

You have to open each one individually and delete from there. Moderately annoying, basically the same as this whole update.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By hammermill290:

Ok, thanks.  This is more than just annoying IMHO, it's a total pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 8:35:20 PM EDT
[#45]
This new site running much slower for anyone else than the previous?  Just to open this thread, i looked at a black screen for 10 actual seconds while the little loading indicator was spinning up in my web browser.  I dig the layout, but its been SUPER slow for me across the board, same browser etc ive always used
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 8:49:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By logan10:
View Quote

What, by using some sort of CSS-intercept plugin? The smaller font preference is only thing remotely close to that, and it doesn't equate to less wasted space at all. Still massive amounts of padding, inflated avatars, etc.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 9:11:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: logan10] [#47]

What, by using some sort of CSS-intercept plugin? The smaller font preference is only thing remotely close to that, and it doesn't equate to less wasted space at all. Still massive amounts of padding, inflated avatars, etc.
View Quote

I agree with the bold txt. I simply used the recommended filters in ABP to achieve what I stated.

Edit: Bold option isn't working for me. Replaced bold with the color red.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 12:13:08 AM EDT
[#48]
While I don't mind getting used to the new format, there are a few things that are broken and make the site unusable at the moment.

First as many have stated, there is too much empty wasted space (avatars, user info) when viewed on mobile phones, resulting in endless scrolling in order to read a few replies. Second, the site is now 50% slower to load and perform any action, including posting. 

So far the slow site is the most annoying, and has decreased the amount of time I spend here. It seems like a chore visiting this place now.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 1:15:06 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By stfm:
If I am signed in I cannot go to    Gen. discussion,   if I sign out I can go to Gen. discussion

what's up guys you got my money let me have GD
View Quote

Maybe you're banned/locked out of GD?
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 12:31:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: logan10] [#50]
To the head shed: The forum shows I'm offline. Doesn't matter to me. Just pointing out another undocumented feature.

EDIT: Fixed.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top