Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 10:06:03 PM EDT
[#1]
This is terrible. Been trying to get used to it all day but despising the change!  A classic view would be great.

ARFCOM and Fox News are my daily go-to's. The site stays like this I anticipate spending A LOT less time here and that sucks.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 10:17:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By logan10:

What's it doing on your desktop?
View Quote

The aspect ratios are way off, endless scrolling to navigate through a page. It is a chore to use the site.

On a tablet there is no easy way to get to active topics and the like.

Hoping we can get an option to run the old interface.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 10:21:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By WrenchGuy:
The old layout was much faster to navigate, this looks like Fischer Price Web Design...I hope you didn't actually pay for any license or web design work 'cuz its bad, really bad.

Back end upgrades are always an understandable necessity,  but a complete replacement on the front is rarely needed or good.
View Quote

DITTO WONT BE SPENDING MUCH TIME HERE ANY MORE .looks like my 15 yr kid did this
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 10:28:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By aceman4:
I search in EE all the time and look for the threads that don't have a response as to whether I click on them.
View Quote

This^^^ The convenience the old search offered in going through the EE, is the only reason I paid for the yearly membership.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 10:37:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Once again, mobile devices ruin everything.

Who the fuck thought this was a good idea to rollout on the full site? Did nobody UX test it on a desktop or laptop?
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 10:47:39 PM EDT
[#6]
For anybody wondering what we're complaining about, here's a view of GD side-by-side.

Attachment Attached File

TONS of wasted space, half the number of threads (and posts) per viewable area, plus smaller, less distinctive icons.

Yeah, huge improvement.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 10:58:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Page loads are slow and when going to last message in a topic from my subscribed topics it frequently brings up blank pages or will tell me I'm on page 7 of 3 or such.

Would like to see the new mail popup window again.

The advert buttons up above have gotten so small that it's difficult to read anything on them if it's anything other than a basic logo.  

It just has a very anti-septic feel to it.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 10:58:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: umungus1122] [#8]
Originally Posted By Walkure:
For anybody wondering what we're complaining about, here's a view of GD side-by-side.

http://AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/106617/new-arfcom-blows-97201.JPG

TONS of wasted space, half the number of threads (and posts) per viewable area, plus smaller, less distinctive icons.

Yeah, huge improvement.
View Quote
Absolutely. The old format was perfect, there's far too much wasted space in the new format. I dislike this new format enough that I will probably cancel my membership and dispute the charge on my CC. This is NOT what I paid for.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 11:03:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Now that a General tab has been added to active topics, can we finish Making Arf Great Again and give active topics an "All" tab?
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 11:22:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By EvanWilliams:I
Love it.  Looks really great on iPhone
View Quote

And now that I'm home, I love it on my laptop. 

Much more sleek and neat.  Visually appealing.

More intuitive as well, at least for me.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 11:26:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: R3dundantC] [#11]
[redacted]
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 11:42:10 PM EDT
[#12]

Yeah, huge improvement.
View Quote
Huge downgrade.   Too much wasted space and I'm constantly scrolling to have something to read since you can fit so little on the screen.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 11:49:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stfm] [#13]

Yeah, huge improvement.
View Quote

Can you tell be how to get to (General Discussion ).  A have been try from 0900- 2200 )
Then my mac book die no longer running froze up ...?? I'll try safe Mone  fri. For iPad still looking

..............................................FIXED
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 11:59:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 12:13:53 AM EDT
[#15]
I imagine most of this has been brought up but its a pain to navigate so here goes lol

clicking the green arrow on subscriptions fails miserably
My Topics shows nothing
size and fonts are too big

i see ya'll are getting blasted with reviews so i hope that the issues will get fixed shortly. as with anything, beta testing shows some flaws but you really dont get the full review until the masses get a hold of it, and most folks dont like change. i bet that after the bugs are worked out, a few months from now no one will remember the old version.

havent tried on a mobil device yet, never really did because of the poor experience. ill try tomorow at work.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 12:15:22 AM EDT
[#16]

Jeez, you guys are some whiney bitches sometimes.

Desktop here.

1) Box opens, the typing cursor should be automatically blinking at me and be ready for typing. Should not have to use mouse and click in email address box to get started.

2) After completing log in email address box, I hit tab to go to password box and it does nothing. Hit it again and it finally goes to password box along with a message telling me I need to put in password.
        3) email box completed, password box completed, I hit enter and nothing happens. I have to grab mouse and click on submit to complete log in process.

Aside from the little shit I just mentioned, everything else seems functional. I think we just need a few weeks to get use to it.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 12:15:25 AM EDT
[#17]
On the plus side I do like the look of the site on my phone.  The old site was not friendly to my phone display in that I had to scroll right and left when using at a reasonable text side.  The new site displays nicely with the avatar and poster info above rather than to the side of the messages.   As for less posts per page visible, I guess the scrolling doesn't  bother me and I enjoy the larger display.  The threads have an over 40 friendly appearance to them.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 12:16:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Not a fan of the redesign. Tons of wasted space, seems like I'm scrolling through the page more than reading.

It's also been mentioned that some people have gotten headaches from it. I didn't get one but I did have to take a break from reading this six page thread twice due to eyestrain. Not sure if it's the colors or layout but at least I know it's not just me.

This may be an improvement on mobile devices, but it's a horrible trainwreck on a computer.
I really would like an option to have the classic layout back.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 12:20:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Junkaxel:
Not a fan of the redesign. Tons of wasted space, seems like I'm scrolling through the page more than reading.

It's also been mentioned that some people have gotten headaches from it. I didn't get one but I did have to take a break from reading this six page thread twice due to eyestrain. Not sure if it's the colors or layout but at least I know it's not just me.

This may be an improvement on mobile devices, but it's a horrible trainwreck on a computer.
View Quote

Yep. I feel like this has been reengineered for 90 year olds with very little sight left. 
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 12:21:57 AM EDT
[#20]
This sucks
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 12:23:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By killingmachine123:

Yep. I feel like this has been reengineered for 90 year olds with very little sight left. 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By killingmachine123:
Originally Posted By Junkaxel:

Site has been "optimized" for mobile users and the poor suckers on Desktops are getting the shaft. I can't look at this shit longer then 20 min before I have to log out or else I get a damn headache and I never get headaches. 
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 12:27:01 AM EDT
[#22]
don't get any conformation pm's have been delivered. so no idea if they are being received.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 12:48:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By blackeye:

Jeez, you guys are some whiney bitches sometimes.

Desktop here.

1) Box opens, the typing cursor should be automatically blinking at me and be ready for typing. Should not have to use mouse and click in email address box to get started.

2) After completing log in email address box, I hit tab to go to password box and it does nothing. Hit it again and it finally goes to password box along with a message telling me I need to put in password.
        3) email box completed, password box completed, I hit enter and nothing happens. I have to grab mouse and click on submit to complete log in process.

Aside from the little shit I just mentioned, everything else seems functional. I think we just need a few weeks to get use to it.
View Quote

You said it. All I see is just bitch bitch bitch and "waaaa I have to scroll a little bit more" and "I can't find anything" and "this looks terrible." In short, a bunch of retards blowing minor issues way out of proportion. As usual.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 12:51:30 AM EDT
[#24]
I like it.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 1:01:05 AM EDT
[#25]
I saw the dreaded hamburger icon, and I knew this wasn't going to be a pleasant experience.  I'm not a fan of the combined mobile/desktop design.  

My whines:

There is a lot of wasted space, as has been pointed out before.  After a few seconds, I hit Ctrl-F5 to see if maybe a CSS would reload and fix all the spacing issues, but nope...  

I think this has already been noted as well, but the green "last read post" arrows are jumping to page 2x of whatever the current last page is.  I'm not sure why, since I think the threads are still the same page size.

Can we get the menu bar, or at least the screwdriver/wrench icon, at the bottom, too?  (The ads are there. )  Having the bar at the bottom of the old site was handy, and now that we have to scroll 87 mouse wheel turns to get back to the top of the page, it will be especially handy.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 1:17:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By RONINBUDO:
THIS SUCKS ON A LAPTOP
View Quote

yes it does!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 1:17:23 AM EDT
[#27]
For the most part I have no issue with the new theme. There are errors which need to be addressed. Features no longer here can be easily returned and should be for the benefit of many. The aspect ratio and "wasted" space is another easy fix. To satisfy all, there must be a true desktop version and mobile version.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 1:21:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: recon] [#28]
IF IT AIN'T BROKE THAN DON'T FIX IT!  THIS REALLY SUCKS!
Wish I would have seen this first before I just paid for another year. Not a happy camper here!
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 1:35:34 AM EDT
[#29]
I find myself scrolling way too much.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 2:14:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By METT-T:
Appears to have improved mobile device readability at a dramatic cost to laptop/desktop users. Really unpleasant.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/2/2016 2:35:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: gardnerjr] [#31]
the forum tools popup thing doesn't work on touch (at least not on win10+edge.   you tap it, the menu appears, then after ~1 second it disappears.  before you can tap anything.  even if you're fast enough to tap a link, it doesn't do anything.

so for me, on a touch device, the forum tools menu is 100% useless.  i HAVE to attach a keyboard w/trackpad or use a mouse?  pretty much all of the "mouseover" popup stuff doesn't seem to work on touch, so i can't really get to anything on the site anymore without using a trackpad.  so far a big thumbs down from me.

ETA: the popup mouseover/tap stuff at the top works for me IF i'm scrolled all the way to the TOP.  but once i scroll down and the header "minimizes', none of the touch popup menus for the forum tools or forum lists or whatever work.  they appear and disappear or appear but ignore taps.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 3:04:58 AM EDT
[#32]
The black vs dark grey folders for active topics vs inactive topics is hard to differentiate between.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 4:17:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Hey I kinda like being able to read posts from 100 yards out.

Link Posted: 12/2/2016 4:52:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By M15A2:
The black vs dark grey folders for active topics vs inactive topics is hard to differentiate between.
View Quote

I thought it might have just been my monitor settings, or my eyeball settings. Glad to hear I'm not alone. Thought I should let you know that you aren't, either.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 5:03:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By bbies1973:

I thought it might have just been my monitor settings, or my eyeball settings. Glad to hear I'm not alone. Thought I should let you know that you aren't, either.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bbies1973:
Originally Posted By M15A2:

Agreed. Hard to see a lot of things. The new lay out sucks.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 5:13:35 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Coop4570:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Coop4570:
Originally Posted By RONINBUDO:
THIS SUCKS ON A LAPTOP

Link Posted: 12/2/2016 5:19:45 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By BLACKLIGHT:

View Quote

What a cluster fuck.  I use to enjoy coming here every night and reading everything, but with this new layout not now.  Endless scrolling and its not streamlined like the older better version.
If its not broke don't fuck with it.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 7:09:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Looks like fantastic input and beta participation from the forum members. Great bucket list to work from. Perhaps NLT Saturday the site will be satisfactory to all?
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 7:15:44 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By BLACKLIGHT:

What a cluster fuck.  I use to enjoy coming here every night and reading everything, but with this new layout not now.  Endless scrolling and its not streamlined like the older better version.
If its not broke don't fuck with it.
View Quote

News flash. It is broke as fuck now

Hate it

Hope the site gets the money spent on the "improvements" back.  Already requested a refund on my recent membership purchase..too hard to use this new site
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 7:33:03 AM EDT
[#40]
Just curious, now that the site resembles a colorful sales insert from the Sunday paper, how much discount is offered to the members when they click on any of the numerous "sponsor" - appearing links?
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 7:47:32 AM EDT
[#41]
New site sucks

Anyone remember "new Coke"?

Wish i had not renewed my membership that is for sure.  Time to call the credit card company and contest the charge.

Unusable at this point...unless u like scrolling through miles of dead space
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 8:19:07 AM EDT
[#42]
What is the procedure for requesting a (prorated?) refund and cancelling my site membership?
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 8:24:58 AM EDT
[#43]
Cool
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 8:31:28 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By pc-ops:
don't get any conformation pm's have been delivered. so no idea if they are being received.
View Quote
This. 

Also, appears EE traffic is down since the roll out?  

Better is the enemy of good.  I agree with other posts, there was nothing wrong with the old site. 
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 9:02:30 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Scrappycrow:
Thanks for the hard work, Y'all! On initial use, I dislike it, but I know I'll get used to the change.  Is there an easy way to implement a "classic" view (some forums have implemented that)?

I agree with your two points, especially the issue of everything being so large, which makes everything spread out way too much.  The line spacing within posts and between components outside of the posts needs to be reduced.  For example, the components right below this text block as I'm replying are too large and too spaced out.

As it is:
http://AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/416222/arfcom-spacing-1-95177.jpg

As it could be with reduced spacing and component sizes:
http://AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/416222/arfcom-spacing-2-95182.jpg
View Quote

How come when I try to attach a photo it asks for a URL. But from what I have been reading, a photo host is no longer required. We are supposed to be able download photos directly from our computers
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 9:11:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ml2150] [#46]
I hope this is the feedback thread for the new rollout.

Overall, I like the new layout. Since I don't LIVE on the forum 24x7, it is easy enough for me to go outside, upstairs or on another site for a few minutes.

• Any chance you can put the [submit, preview, spell check, cancel] buttons
  • where the [select file, upload] buttons are?

Because if someone is going to post something, 100% of the time they are going to hit "submit" to post, but how often will I need to attach a photo?
Buttons should be arranged in order of frequency of use.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 9:11:32 AM EDT
[#47]

Yeah, huge improvement.
View Quote

Damn you, reminding me of what we used to have...

I'll be back later today, once the burn in my eyeballs goes away. (not figurative - reading posts has been giving me burning eyes and a headache since the cutover) Hopefully I'll be able to stumble into the place to change/fix/unfuck the no-contrast flat color scheme.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 9:41:13 AM EDT
[#48]
I wonder if anything will be done?

I really hope they didn't spend a lot of money on this design, it looks like something I put together in 1999 in Basic Website Design in high school. Back when black everywhere was the norm. If I wasn't a paying member before I sure as shit won't be now.

Link Posted: 12/2/2016 10:26:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: stfm] [#49]
Yesterday I woke up with  the decisions made by a new membership.  keen
it's been a while so I figured you it's worth it for all the help I've got  here .

to my surprise the new  website set up is here. the first thing I do is try to find   (GENERAL DISCUSSION)
well that didn't go so well and still unable to find it.

UPDATE :  able to purchase membership. what was previously a gray square. with no instructions'
turned into a. box instructing you to put username.  I guess it's going to take a while for the bugs to shake out .
Still unable to find ( GENERAL DISCUSSION
Then I tried to purchase a membership.  again not going so well.  I click to put it in cart .  and this pops up.
I can see examples where it is clearly  visible.  but if I click on the link it just brings me to the general
   No USERNAME entered.
Please enter your website username in the box provided.
Unable to add item, please try again.

there is a sign in area on the top  left side.  so I put my you have it asked for email.
so it lights up like it successfully done. this but still unable to get into cart .
is the same happens  the space is if I tried to go directly to check out.

this is been going on for two days I would appreciate any kind of a help.
what I think would really work… Someone can put a step-by-step. on how to purchase  a membership.
also if someone can do a step-by-step of how to get to general discussions.

several people have posted just a link which makes sense. but it doesn't take you to the individual thread but a list of  posts
very frustrating to go to  a website that you enjoyed for years.  and you can even get them to accept your money.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 10:34:07 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By gsd1983:
... snip
View Quote
Sorry - cant reply without quoting someones post ..

Working out the bugs will be welcomed for sure - patience is a virtue.
I am already forgetting what the old site looked like ( not really yet  )

A few issues I am having at the moment I think worth sharing:
- no email notifications at all !! this is the biggest one for me.
- some threads don't show correctly on the screen , and / or don't have all of the 'buttons'
- seems like there are a lot of crybaby whiny bitch posts that keep showing up .... 

Thank you guys for all your work at improving things - hopefully more than not realize the good intention and time spent doing so.
Will still be here for the ride.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top