Page / 9
Posted: 12/1/2016 4:31:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GoatBoy]
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 4:33:14 AM EDT
[#1]
looks good, Goaty
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 4:36:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I'll have to check it out on a real  computer tomorrow, but I can already tell it absolutely blows away the old mobile experience.  No more nightmarish experience trying to read this website on an iPod Touch.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 4:36:41 AM EDT
[#3]
So....it's happened.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 4:38:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Frost7:
I'll have to check it out on a real  computer tomorrow, but I can already tell it absolutely blows away the old mobile experience.  No more nightmarish experience trying to read this website on an iPod Touch.
View Quote

Yeah! I've been accessing arfcom from a phone for the past 4 years, and on an iTurd for the past 9 months, and this is so much better.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 4:39:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: duhflushtech] [#5]
Love the new quote feature, but some of the main tabs across the top need to come back.  I used to be able to hop from general to industry to hometown etc. in a single click.  Now it takes extra clicks and some scrolling.  Noticeably less streamlined.

Also, WTF is happening with our avatars, and how to we fix it?
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 4:41:41 AM EDT
[#6]
I thought they were going to add more smileys??
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 4:41:52 AM EDT
[#7]
I like!
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 4:42:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By duhflushtech:
Love the new quote feature, but some of the main tabs across the top need to come back.  I used to be able to hop from general to industry to hometown etc. in a single click.  Now it takes extra clicks and some scrolling.  Noticeably less streamlined.

Also, WTF is happening with our avatars, and how to we fix it?
View Quote

Just hover over the three bar icon in the top corner of the screen. Has all the forums right there to click on. 
Avatar size requirements changed. Hover over the little person icon, click change avatar and use the editor there to upload your avatar again. It will automatically resize to the new size. 
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 4:43:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jhereg] [#9]
Originally Posted By GoatBoy:
Blog Post
Welcome To The New AR15.Com!

A quick welcome message and link to the mini "tour" article. It has taken longer than we had hoped to bring to life, but we think it will be well worth the wait!

Read Full Article »

Blog Post
Quick Help Guide

A mini-tour of the new site's layout and locations for all the key features.

Read Full Article »

Please take a minute to check out the welcome post along with a quick help/tour of the main layout changes.

Remember that we will continue to work on things, so be patient and give things a chance. There may be things you love and things you hate, and I'll listen to all feedback and ideas. Just try to word it in a polite manner.
View Quote

Looks like a lot of work.   (good part)

2 things I hate so far

No buttons for subscribed/active threads w/o using  drop down menu.  I use those a lot and it's really annoying.   2nd Problem is that everything is way to big.   Checking in user settings I see font sizes of regular/large/extra large.  I want extra small/small.  Everything is WAY too big.

Might as well add a third.  Something about the new layout is giving me a headache. I'm hating the new layout.   
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 4:44:27 AM EDT
[#10]
THIS SUCKS ON A LAPTOP
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 4:46:19 AM EDT
[#11]
So far the only good thing I'm seeing is that it will get a lot of people out of their mom's basements.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 4:48:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By RONINBUDO:
THIS SUCKS ON A LAPTOP
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/1/2016 4:48:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 4:48:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GoatBoy] [#14]
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 4:52:50 AM EDT
[#15]
I like it on mobile, but it is too large on my laptop.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 4:54:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Every page is giving me an unsafe scripts warning in Chrome, and I can't view embedded videos.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 4:54:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Do we have a test forum we can point people towards so they don't clog up GD with a bunch of threads testing stuff?

I thought we did but I can't find it.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 4:55:01 AM EDT
[#18]
@Goatboy, fonts.googleapis.com and fonts.gstatic.com are causing warnings in Chrome for mixed content when viewing the site on https. 
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 4:58:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Avatars as headers are awful. Comparatively difficult to track discussion due to the broken up posts.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 4:59:17 AM EDT
[#20]
New active topic sucks. It makes u pick from a sub forum.  On the old one it let you see the most active threads on the whole site. I used that all the time. On the plus side the mobile version is awesome.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 5:16:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Wow, I just clicked from page to page in a thread and all of a sudden, the colors and layout were different.  I was like.  WTF?!  Then I saw the link to this thread.  lol

Looks good, GB.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 5:27:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: duhflushtech] [#22]

New tool to help you make your new avatar (if it's just static) in your profile section.

Mouse over menus are still only 1 click and the sticky menu (shows up as you scroll down) keeps everything 1 click away.
View Quote

OK, so I looked at the quick help guide and I think the problem is that I'm just not seeing any of that stuff on my screen.  I seem to be stuck on the mobile site maybe?  Except that my url is just the normal ar15.com, and I have tried pressing the "view full site" button in the drop down menu in the corner but nothing changes.  What am I doing wrong?

This is what my screen looks like atm (laptop):

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 5:28:41 AM EDT
[#23]
I knew  it was coming but initially I  though  something  happen to my phone.

I will look around and see.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 5:35:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mach] [#24]
Please put it back

I hate it

Logging out and logging back in fixed most of the format issues on my phone. It was unsable.

Now it is fine
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 5:36:44 AM EDT
[#25]
How come "my topics" no longer has a roll up of all forums?
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 5:45:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 5:47:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 5:55:36 AM EDT
[#28]
The old layout was much faster to navigate, this looks like Fischer Price Web Design...I hope you didn't actually pay for any license or web design work 'cuz its bad, really bad.

Back end upgrades are always an understandable necessity,  but a complete replacement on the front is rarely needed or good.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 5:58:47 AM EDT
[#29]

Hamburger button on the top left corner opens the menu. If you want to switch to the full site on a mobile device, it's an option in the menu. (To go back to mobile you need to look for the link in the footer of the normal site. It will only show up for those in mobile who choose full site view.)
View Quote

Yep, tried that, doesn't work.  Reloads the page, but still stays mobile.  
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 6:01:16 AM EDT
[#30]
This new layout really sucks. Way too big. Looks like I'm having a video card driver issue and I'm stuck in 1999 with a 600X800 monitor.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 6:19:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mach] [#31]
format issues where fixed on my iphone 5S when I accidently logged out. I logged back in a presto, format issues fixed

except for my sig which looks right in my profile but doesnt do html tags in my sig when I make a post
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 6:24:20 AM EDT
[#32]
On a desktop PC.
I can live with it so far.

Lets see what the tweaks bring.

Link Posted: 12/1/2016 6:34:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By duhflushtech:
....but some of the main tabs across the top need to come back.  I used to be able to hop from general to industry to hometown etc. in a single click.  Now it takes extra clicks and some scrolling.  Noticeably less streamlined.
View Quote

This x100
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 6:36:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By packingXDs:

Just hover over the three bar icon in the top corner of the screen. Has all the forums right there to click on. 
Avatar size requirements changed. Hover over the little person icon, click change avatar and use the editor there to upload your avatar again. It will automatically resize to the new size. 
View Quote

How to hover using an ipad?
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 6:46:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Keyst0ne] [#35]
Originally Posted By Scottyman:
This new layout really sucks. Way too big. Looks like I'm having a video card driver issue and I'm stuck in 1999 with a 600X800 monitor.
View Quote

This -- used to see 20 or so threads when looking at a subforum, now I see 13, with no additional information. Spacing between lines (especially within a thread entry) is way too big.

If the thread title field could be narrowed and make room for the last poster to share the same line as the last post date then single page threads would take only a single line and substantially improve the issue.

1920x1080 resolution here.

ETA: Also there has always been an issue where end-quote tags would automatically be followed by extraneous line breaks. Replying immediately after the quote tag (without leaving an extra line break) would leave one empty line break after the quoted text. Now doing that still seems to leave 3 or so blank lines making posts unnecessarily long/large on screen.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 6:47:19 AM EDT
[#36]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I'm liking the image attachment.

I liked the old format even though it is a PITA on mobile, but I'll get used to this soon.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 6:51:28 AM EDT
[#37]
Gonna take a little getting used to, but its easier for me to read.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 7:04:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BladedRonin] [#38]
A 100% user from mobile devices here.  

A tutorial on posting / uploading images from phone please?  Also, videos, etc?

BTW, new site is good on mobile.  Lots of powerful tools here, just kinda mixed up right now....
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 7:09:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rrbgeb] [#39]
Don't feel welcomed.  Change isn't always good.  Bah Humbug.  

But I guess its better than a sharp stick in the eye.    Flag theme engaged so maybe it will grown on me.    

But I do appreciate the effort it takes to do this.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 7:09:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kaiserman] [#40]
This is awful on a PC.  Old format was much better afaic.

At lease change from color of folder icons with new  posts from poop brown back to yellow. WAY easier to scan through the EE the old way.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 7:10:40 AM EDT
[#41]
Neato
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 7:24:44 AM EDT
[#42]
Needs a link to my subscriptions that I can get to with one click  instead of two. I liked not having to go into a menu for that.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 7:34:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: engineer2001] [#43]
Something about the new layout is giving me a headache. I'm hating the new layout.   
View Quote

Same here.  This hurts my eyes.  I think it's the black - brown - black - brown bars on the page.  The top half is hard to look at because of the brown parts being so disjoint.  And everything looks so big.  I thought I had a display issue that was causing it to render in crappy resolution, like another user said.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 7:35:43 AM EDT
[#44]
from desktop
What happened to "search"????
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 7:40:21 AM EDT
[#45]
Click on the bars on the left. Forum preferences and select the color you want. OD green for me.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 7:43:29 AM EDT
[#46]
Slower to navigate. Have to resize each page on my phone. So far not liking it.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 7:54:09 AM EDT
[#47]
I noticed that if I hit my subscriptions tab, then hit the green arrow it takes me to an older part of a thread, happened on every thread in my subs.  

For example I clicked on the U Laugh U Lose thread,  green arrow dumped me roughly in the middle of that thread, not where I left off
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 8:02:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 223Rem] [#48]
<-----------Does not like change.

Not a big fan of how the subscriptions work.  It is now just a jumbled mess, as before it was broken down into subforums.  EE sub forum is not in the down menu either.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 8:06:20 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 8:10:06 AM EDT
[#50]
Appears to have improved mobile device readability at a dramatic cost to laptop/desktop users. Really unpleasant.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top