Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/7/2011 8:26:33 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/7/2011 8:34:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Pretty neat.

Does the target move at all? If not does that effect the steal negatively? I thought you want AR500 steel plates to have some give to them .
Link Posted: 7/7/2011 9:25:38 AM EDT
[#2]
These look like a lot of fun!

Is there a minimum distance you would recommend for shooting with .223?  I'm wondering both for safety and to prevent damage to the target.

Also, does the post base adjust for setting up the target on an incline?  or would I just have to stick something under the legs?
Link Posted: 7/7/2011 10:45:00 AM EDT
[#3]
So is the idea that it rocks back under impact, thereby giving an indication of a hit, and then rocks forward/resets under it's own weight?
Link Posted: 7/7/2011 11:17:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/7/2011 11:31:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Gracias GoatBoy,  I couldn't get the manual to open up on my phone.
Link Posted: 7/7/2011 11:37:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/7/2011 11:55:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So is the idea that it rocks back under impact, thereby giving an indication of a hit, and then rocks forward/resets under it's own weight?

That is a question that I have as well.

Link Posted: 7/7/2011 12:10:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/7/2011 12:33:19 PM EDT
[#9]
That's pretty nice.
Link Posted: 7/7/2011 2:29:54 PM EDT
[#10]
It certainly looks like it is floating in there and would rock on impact. Probably not enough to be a visual indicator of a hit though.
Link Posted: 7/7/2011 3:37:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Cool!
Link Posted: 7/7/2011 4:27:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Sweet !
Link Posted: 7/7/2011 5:13:38 PM EDT
[#13]
looks cool !
Link to video ?
Link Posted: 7/7/2011 5:14:13 PM EDT
[#14]
this is relevant to my interests.

Interested in video showing reaction w/ pistol and carbines
Link Posted: 7/7/2011 5:53:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Looks great.

Sorry if I missed it but what are the dimentions of the 500 brinell plate?
Link Posted: 7/7/2011 6:14:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I found this:

[span style='font-family: Arial; color: black; font-weight: bold;']Recommended caliber

[span style='font-family: Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 10pt; color: black;'][span style='font-weight: bold;']

/snip...

I have a 3/8 AR500 plate that will put up to some abuse but real deal milspec M855 from my 18" barrel puts decent "craters". M855 still leaves digns with my 16" barrel too, but M193 doesn't do a thing through the 16" but leaves dings through my 18" barrel so I would still watch the ammo and velocities with .223 @ 100 yards
Link Posted: 7/7/2011 6:27:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It certainly looks like it is floating in there and would rock on impact. Probably not enough to be a visual indicator of a hit though.

"The LaRue FAST is a lightweight and portable reactionary target that can be setup in minutes".

This would imply it does something other than dent.
Link Posted: 7/7/2011 9:16:10 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"The LaRue FAST is a lightweight and portable reactionary target that can be setup in minutes".

This would imply it does something other than dent.

It might "ding" but that would be a guess
Link Posted: 7/8/2011 3:40:45 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm sorry, but why does metal targets cost sooo much?!?

I have a private range on my land about 35-45 minutes away from my home, I have 255 acres, with access to shooting long ranges up to 778 yards.... I would love to have some metal targets to shoot at that react and maybe reset themselves.... I'm not going to pay $1000.00 for a target that stands itself back up!

I love and breath LaRue parts, the best out there with some of the best CS..... But makes me upset that they sorely price their metal targets so high that nobody but agencies can buy them, well most of us can, but not multiple units..... What's fun about shooting one target?

When I first saw LaRue's powered resettable target, I have been making my own...... Right now I figure I've spent $78 on a large piece of hardened steel that I cut in a 'man' shape (waste and up) with a plasma cutter, and a 300 lb DC actuator. Got a few more welds and tryin to make a henge system and a button or lever so it can tell when it drops and a cutoff for when it stands back up.

..... I would say that when I'm done, I would have spent maybe less than $100 and maybe 8 hours of my time. But when I finish and want to make more I can make a few more for less than $80 and maybe 2-3 hours each. I'm just a hobbyist, I don't have deep city/county/state/federal money to buy $1000 metal targets.

Somebody needs to make some cheap metal targets, everything I've search for including single skinny poppers cost hundreds of dollars...

Larue, I'm not bashing you guys in any way, but $450 for a metal target is very pricey. IMHO.
Link Posted: 7/8/2011 4:12:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/8/2011 4:46:16 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I found this:

Recommended caliber distances

Be advised - it is the short, fast bullets (i.e. 5.56) that put the most wear on the target steel....long, slow bullets  (i.e. 7.62) can be shot relatively close (25 meters) with little or no effect on the steel, as they expend their energy in a much slower manner.  Pistol rounds do no wear whatsoever.  These targets are good for pistol and small rifle rounds such as 5.56, 7.62, and 300 Win. Mag., 338 Lapua.  DO NOT SHOOT WITH .50 BMG!!!  

Always feel free to call for clarification from the LaRue factory - 512-259-1585.

5.56 (223 Rem.)

We recommend a minimum of 100 meters to maximize target life.  There are regional training ranges shooting these targets as close as 50 meters....but they also have to budget to occasionally replace/refresh the target plates. This includes green tip.

7.62 (308 Win.)

We recommend a minimum of 50 meters to maximize target life.  There are ranges shooting these targets as close as 25 meters....with apparently no ill effects.  

300 Win. Mag.

We recommend a minimum of 150 meters to maximize target life.  Usually not an issue because most long-gunners use 300 Win. Mags from 300 - 1,200 meters.

338 Lapua

We recommend a minimum of 200 meters to maximize target life.  Usually not an issue because most long-gunners use 338 Lapuas from 500 - 2,000 meters.

.50 BMG DO NOT SHOOT WITH .50 BMG!!!  The target is not made to withstand the energy of a .50BMG.   Something on the target will break if hit by a .50!!!

http://www.laruemedia.com/LaRueTargets/FAST_img.jpg

Clearly we need someone to shoot one with a .50 BMG and post pictures.

Link Posted: 7/8/2011 5:57:19 AM EDT
[#22]
I've shot 500 brinell plates with 50bmg (ball) before and the rounds just bounce off.   Maybe a little dent depending on if the plate is fixed or swinging.  50ap will punch through.
Link Posted: 7/8/2011 6:54:03 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I've shot 500 brinell plates with 50bmg (ball) before and the rounds just bounce off.   Maybe a little dent depending on if the plate is fixed or swinging.  50ap will punch through.

It think it has more to do with the fact that its 3/8".  Its the right steel, but probably not thick enough.

Link Posted: 7/8/2011 7:45:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

1/2" is the the thinnest for using .50 on it, the target in question is 3/8"
Link Posted: 7/9/2011 4:09:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I have a private range on my land about 35-45 minutes away from my home, I have 255 acres, with access to shooting long ranges up to 778 yards.... I would love to have some metal targets to shoot at that react and maybe reset themselves.... I'm not going to pay $1000.00 for a target that stands itself back up!

I love and breath LaRue parts, the best out there with some of the best CS..... But makes me upset that they sorely price their metal targets so high that nobody but agencies can buy them, well most of us can, but not multiple units..... What's fun about shooting one target?

When I first saw LaRue's powered resettable target, I have been making my own...... Right now I figure I've spent $78 on a large piece of hardened steel that I cut in a 'man' shape (waste and up) with a plasma cutter, and a 300 lb DC actuator. Got a few more welds and tryin to make a henge system and a button or lever so it can tell when it drops and a cutoff for when it stands back up.

..... I would say that when I'm done, I would have spent maybe less than $100 and maybe 8 hours of my time. But when I finish and want to make more I can make a few more for less than $80 and maybe 2-3 hours each. I'm just a hobbyist, I don't have deep city/county/state/federal money to buy $1000 metal targets.

Somebody needs to make some cheap metal targets, everything I've search for including single skinny poppers cost hundreds of dollars...

Larue, I'm not bashing you guys in any way, but $450 for a metal target is very pricey. IMHO.

I agree to the extent of, if you dont want to give Mark your money dont. Im sure some slave labored Mexican or Chinese company could come up with the same thing for about $100 each or cheaper but then there is that whole slave labor thing. Larue is made in the USA, quality built and plays by the rules tax and labor wise. So you can build your own, get a local shop to do it (bet they wont be a lot cheaper) or buy Marks and sleep well at night knowing you gave to the cause and got a great product. Just sayin.
Link Posted: 7/9/2011 4:25:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/9/2011 6:03:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/9/2011 8:39:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Widener's has the same silhouettes for much less.  I can build my own stand.
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 5:16:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 8:48:54 AM EDT
[#30]
4X4s aren't these days.

I wonder how much slop there will be?
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 9:53:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Widener's has the same silhouettes for much less.  I can build my own stand.

Wrong*.  

* Readers should be made aware that "bigkracka" has a large, multilegged creature up his bugkracka when it comes to LaRue-made items, and with few exceptions, never fails to show bug and bug-holding device for anything new made by LaRue.

They do have 10" circles and silhouettes but I believe the silhouettes are smaller. He does have a point as they are $40. But from what I heard the targets are not actually AR500 and are between 450-475. Plus they might use methods to cut them that may degrade the hardness of teh edges  and corners
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 11:25:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 12:08:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 2:28:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Chunks of bullets bouncing randomly off chain segments, or bolt heads,  and the like ... is not what our target is about.

Teaches you to duck quickly

I admit to having spent years shooting random junk bolted to a chain shooting the bolt off was the biggest problem. We had one piece of what must have been a hardened steel tractor part that held up for a couple of years of 556 and 762x39 fire and mountains of pistol fire. Unfortunately my buddy asked "Hey what will your hunting rifle do to it?" one day. Apparently it was not rated for 7mm Rem Mag

I deleted my earlier post because I didn't want to be responsible for veering this off track. But I looked a few places and the target part seemed in line with other rifle rated sihouettes, but I had not seen the Wideners stuff before and know nothing about it.

At least with LaRue you know you get it asap. I bought one of those "Beast Rifle Gongs" and I think it took 8 months before I got pissed and asked nice. I finally had to find the guy's home number to get the stupid thing and he was angry at me for calling.

If you are using metal chains you're doing it wrong!  I found a really cheap alternative if you are hanging stuff. These rubber straps are about $1 a piece and take a beating.  

In all fairness you will not find a target that has a rear "mounting plate" (for lack of better terms) for under several hundred dollars.
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 3:08:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/13/2011 7:17:31 PM EDT
[#36]
If your round isn't screaming too fast you'll get an audible indicator.  Otherwise if the "ping" is covered by the sound of your shot, a buddy with cheap binos will be able to watch you hit the target at longer distances.
Link Posted: 7/16/2011 6:19:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Lead time?

Link Posted: 7/22/2011 3:02:42 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree to the extent of, if you dont want to give Mark your money dont. Im sure some slave labored Mexican or Chinese company could come up with the same thing for about $100 each or cheaper but then there is that whole slave labor thing. Larue is made in the USA, quality built and plays by the rules tax and labor wise. So you can build your own, get a local shop to do it (bet they wont be a lot cheaper) or buy Marks and sleep well at night knowing you gave to the cause and got a great product. Just sayin.

Amen!
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 4:07:53 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Amen!

Amen?..... Amen to what???

This dude went from me saying that I can make my own resettable targets for less than $100 (me, myself and I) to him preaching that some mexican day laborer making them and saying he'd rather buy sumthang made in the US of A!...... WTF???

Is he saying that since that I'm not paying $1000.00 that I'm not supporting Larue?

Don't care what anybody says, my $100.00 target is hellavalot cheaper than buying some companies $1000.00 target, that's the American way!

Why pay for it when I can make it for a tenth of the price.  

Sorry Mark, I'll buy all your other little parts like mounts but anything bigger than that, I can't afford it.... :(
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 8:40:04 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 9:59:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Are these targets restricted to LE/.mil like the Larue sniper targets?
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 10:01:57 AM EDT
[#42]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top