ARCHIVED ARCHIVED
  Previous Page
Page:  / 2
Author
Copyright © mfingar
Posted: 7/7/2011 12:26:33 PM

FAST:
Free-standing Action Steel Target TG-FAST

The LaRue FAST is a lightweight and portable reactionary target that can be setup in minutes. The FAST uses 4” x 4” posts available at most lumber dealers. Precisely manufactured from high quality materials and is designed to survive the toughest environments and the roughest treatment. Excellent for shotgun and handgun training too!

Some of the main advantages are:
- Free-Standing Non Powered. Easy to setup and position, needs no batteries or power.
- Man Portable. 39 lbs total weight. Minor assembly required.
- Battle Tough. 3/8" thick 500 Brinell target. Withstands .223s and .308s. Targets are weather-proof, leave it out year round.

FAST Assembly:
Free-standing Action Steel Target. Includes Target, Base Plate, Spall Plate, and retaining Pins. (Does not include the 4" x4" post, Post Guard or Post base)
FAST1 - $295.00

Post Guard
This optional armor plate slides into the base assembly, hanging down in front of the 4" x 4", offering protection from impacts below the target.
FAST2 - $45.00

Post Base
This optional part holds a 4" x 4" post vertically anywhere you want to put a FAST Target.
FAST3 - $95.00

Target Specs.
- Weight: 39 lbs.
- Dimensions of target: 3/8" x 11.5" x 23.5"
- Materials: Steel is AR500 hard armor plate steel (hardness of 500 Brinell) commonly referred to as "rifle steel".

Information on other LaRue Tactical Targets can be found here.

LaRue Tactical
Aimpoint Military Dealer of the Year 2007, 2008, 2009 & 2010
www.LaRue.com
InfiniteGrim
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/7/2011 12:34:14 PM
Pretty neat.

Does the target move at all? If not does that effect the steal negatively? I thought you want AR500 steel plates to have some give to them .
Caboose314
Fightin' Texas Aggie
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/7/2011 1:25:38 PM
These look like a lot of fun!

Is there a minimum distance you would recommend for shooting with .223? I'm wondering both for safety and to prevent damage to the target.

Also, does the post base adjust for setting up the target on an incline? or would I just have to stick something under the legs?
You can sleep with a gun, but when are you going to wake up and fight?
IcarusY625
Team Mushroom
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/7/2011 2:45:00 PM
So is the idea that it rocks back under impact, thereby giving an indication of a hit, and then rocks forward/resets under it's own weight?
There's a box?
GoatBoy
"Code Monkey"
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/7/2011 3:17:55 PM
[Last Edit: 7/7/2011 3:18:55 PM by GoatBoy]
I found this:

Recommended caliber distances

Be advised - it is the short, fast bullets (i.e. 5.56) that put the most wear on the target steel....long, slow bullets (i.e. 7.62) can be shot relatively close (25 meters) with little or no effect on the steel, as they expend their energy in a much slower manner. Pistol rounds do no wear whatsoever. These targets are good for pistol and small rifle rounds such as 5.56, 7.62, and 300 Win. Mag., 338 Lapua. DO NOT SHOOT WITH .50 BMG!!!

Always feel free to call for clarification from the LaRue factory - 512-259-1585.

5.56 (223 Rem.)

We recommend a minimum of 100 meters to maximize target life. There are regional training ranges shooting these targets as close as 50 meters....but they also have to budget to occasionally replace/refresh the target plates. This includes green tip.

7.62 (308 Win.)

We recommend a minimum of 50 meters to maximize target life. There are ranges shooting these targets as close as 25 meters....with apparently no ill effects.

300 Win. Mag.

We recommend a minimum of 150 meters to maximize target life. Usually not an issue because most long-gunners use 300 Win. Mags from 300 - 1,200 meters.

338 Lapua

We recommend a minimum of 200 meters to maximize target life. Usually not an issue because most long-gunners use 338 Lapuas from 500 - 2,000 meters.

.50 BMG DO NOT SHOOT WITH .50 BMG!!! The target is not made to withstand the energy of a .50BMG. Something on the target will break if hit by a .50!!!

You only live once, but if you live right.. once is enough.
Caboose314
Fightin' Texas Aggie
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/7/2011 3:31:49 PM
[Last Edit: 7/7/2011 3:32:35 PM by Caboose314]
Gracias GoatBoy, I couldn't get the manual to open up on my phone.
You can sleep with a gun, but when are you going to wake up and fight?
Gatorhunt
Honesty is the first chapter in the book of wisdom
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/7/2011 3:37:43 PM
Very cool.

Now if I could just find some place to use them that isn't a 3 hour round trip drive from me.
"....see in this world there's two kinds of people my friend ... those with loaded guns and those who dig ... you dig"
Micky80
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/7/2011 3:55:37 PM
Originally Posted By IcarusY625:
So is the idea that it rocks back under impact, thereby giving an indication of a hit, and then rocks forward/resets under it's own weight?

That is a question that I have as well.

GoatBoy
"Code Monkey"
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/7/2011 4:10:32 PM

Originally Posted By Micky80:
Originally Posted By IcarusY625:

That is a question that I have as well.

From the looks of it, the impact pushes the target back and then returns to a slight forward lean. I'm sure I can harass someone to get an answer if they don't post in here soon.

You only live once, but if you live right.. once is enough.
chewbacca
What is tinfoil today, is NEWS tomorrow.
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/7/2011 4:33:19 PM
That's pretty nice.
"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

-Ben Franklin
DanTheGlockMan
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/7/2011 6:29:54 PM
It certainly looks like it is floating in there and would rock on impact. Probably not enough to be a visual indicator of a hit though.
An armed man is a citizen; an unarmed man is a subject; a disarmed man is a slave. Molon Labe.

My cynicism may not always be right but it never lets me down.
bcsoeod
Bin Laden - "be right back, someone's at the
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/7/2011 7:37:47 PM
Cool!
If our government refuses to obey the constitution.....then what is treason??????

.308.....because people tend to hide behind things when you shoot at them.
itsARanchrifle
Home of tier 1 ranch goats and cattle.
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/7/2011 8:27:36 PM
Sweet !
Look , you wanna play blindman go walk with the sheppard.

Wear the fox hat .
badm4
organize before they rise...!
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/7/2011 9:13:38 PM
looks cool !
Link to video ?
the worst part of the zombie apocalypse is....... waiting for it to happen !
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"
-Thomas Jefferson
eternal24k
Moose Meat
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/7/2011 9:14:13 PM
this is relevant to my interests.

Interested in video showing reaction w/ pistol and carbines
MG nut - always something pending...
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/7/2011 9:53:17 PM
Looks great.

Sorry if I missed it but what are the dimentions of the 500 brinell plate?
I'm mean nasty & tired. I eat concertina wire & piss napalm and I can put a round through a fleas ass at 200 meters.
InfiniteGrim
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/7/2011 10:14:21 PM
Originally Posted By GoatBoy:
I found this:

[span style='font-family: Arial; color: black; font-weight: bold;']Recommended caliber

[span style='font-family: Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 10pt; color: black;'][span style='font-weight: bold;']

/snip...

I have a 3/8 AR500 plate that will put up to some abuse but real deal milspec M855 from my 18" barrel puts decent "craters". M855 still leaves digns with my 16" barrel too, but M193 doesn't do a thing through the 16" but leaves dings through my 18" barrel so I would still watch the ammo and velocities with .223 @ 100 yards
Mccray
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/7/2011 10:27:05 PM
[Last Edit: 7/7/2011 10:27:31 PM by Mccray]
Originally Posted By DanTheGlockMan:
It certainly looks like it is floating in there and would rock on impact. Probably not enough to be a visual indicator of a hit though.

"The LaRue FAST is a lightweight and portable reactionary target that can be setup in minutes".

This would imply it does something other than dent.
TaylorWSO
Kool-aid
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/8/2011 1:16:10 AM

Originally Posted By Mccray:
Originally Posted By DanTheGlockMan:

"The LaRue FAST is a lightweight and portable reactionary target that can be setup in minutes".

This would imply it does something other than dent.

It might "ding" but that would be a guess
Everything is temporary
rogue007
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/8/2011 7:40:45 AM
I'm sorry, but why does metal targets cost sooo much?!?

I have a private range on my land about 35-45 minutes away from my home, I have 255 acres, with access to shooting long ranges up to 778 yards.... I would love to have some metal targets to shoot at that react and maybe reset themselves.... I'm not going to pay $1000.00 for a target that stands itself back up!

I love and breath LaRue parts, the best out there with some of the best CS..... But makes me upset that they sorely price their metal targets so high that nobody but agencies can buy them, well most of us can, but not multiple units..... What's fun about shooting one target?

When I first saw LaRue's powered resettable target, I have been making my own...... Right now I figure I've spent $78 on a large piece of hardened steel that I cut in a 'man' shape (waste and up) with a plasma cutter, and a 300 lb DC actuator. Got a few more welds and tryin to make a henge system and a button or lever so it can tell when it drops and a cutoff for when it stands back up.

..... I would say that when I'm done, I would have spent maybe less than $100 and maybe 8 hours of my time. But when I finish and want to make more I can make a few more for less than $80 and maybe 2-3 hours each. I'm just a hobbyist, I don't have deep city/county/state/federal money to buy $1000 metal targets.

Somebody needs to make some cheap metal targets, everything I've search for including single skinny poppers cost hundreds of dollars...

Larue, I'm not bashing you guys in any way, but $450 for a metal target is very pricey. IMHO.
Gatorhunt
Honesty is the first chapter in the book of wisdom
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/8/2011 8:12:05 AM
Originally Posted By rogue007:

I have a private range on my land about 35-45 minutes away from my home, I have 255 acres, with access to shooting long ranges up to 778 yards.... I would love to have some metal targets to shoot at that react and maybe reset themselves.... I'm not going to pay $1000.00 for a target that stands itself back up!

I love and breath LaRue parts, the best out there with some of the best CS..... But makes me upset that they sorely price their metal targets so high that nobody but agencies can buy them, well most of us can, but not multiple units..... What's fun about shooting one target?

When I first saw LaRue's powered resettable target, I have been making my own...... Right now I figure I've spent $78 on a large piece of hardened steel that I cut in a 'man' shape (waste and up) with a plasma cutter, and a 300 lb DC actuator. Got a few more welds and tryin to make a henge system and a button or lever so it can tell when it drops and a cutoff for when it stands back up.

..... I would say that when I'm done, I would have spent maybe less than $100 and maybe 8 hours of my time. But when I finish and want to make more I can make a few more for less than $80 and maybe 2-3 hours each. I'm just a hobbyist, I don't have deep city/county/state/federal money to buy $1000 metal targets.

Somebody needs to make some cheap metal targets, everything I've search for including single skinny poppers cost hundreds of dollars...

Larue, I'm not bashing you guys in any way, but $450 for a metal target is very pricey. IMHO.

They do have overhead you know.

It's not just about materials and man hours, they have to pay licensing fees, liability insurance, workman's comp insurance (all things I doubt you have). Then there's the light bill, the rent, the phone etc etc....it's not cheap or easy being in business in America and they're doing a fine job IMHO.
"....see in this world there's two kinds of people my friend ... those with loaded guns and those who dig ... you dig"
Taboot
Deep behind enemy lines.
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/8/2011 8:46:16 AM

Originally Posted By GoatBoy:
I found this:

Recommended caliber distances

Be advised - it is the short, fast bullets (i.e. 5.56) that put the most wear on the target steel....long, slow bullets (i.e. 7.62) can be shot relatively close (25 meters) with little or no effect on the steel, as they expend their energy in a much slower manner. Pistol rounds do no wear whatsoever. These targets are good for pistol and small rifle rounds such as 5.56, 7.62, and 300 Win. Mag., 338 Lapua. DO NOT SHOOT WITH .50 BMG!!!

Always feel free to call for clarification from the LaRue factory - 512-259-1585.

5.56 (223 Rem.)

We recommend a minimum of 100 meters to maximize target life. There are regional training ranges shooting these targets as close as 50 meters....but they also have to budget to occasionally replace/refresh the target plates. This includes green tip.

7.62 (308 Win.)

We recommend a minimum of 50 meters to maximize target life. There are ranges shooting these targets as close as 25 meters....with apparently no ill effects.

300 Win. Mag.

We recommend a minimum of 150 meters to maximize target life. Usually not an issue because most long-gunners use 300 Win. Mags from 300 - 1,200 meters.

338 Lapua

We recommend a minimum of 200 meters to maximize target life. Usually not an issue because most long-gunners use 338 Lapuas from 500 - 2,000 meters.

.50 BMG DO NOT SHOOT WITH .50 BMG!!! The target is not made to withstand the energy of a .50BMG. Something on the target will break if hit by a .50!!!

http://www.laruemedia.com/LaRueTargets/FAST_img.jpg

Clearly we need someone to shoot one with a .50 BMG and post pictures.
vidi vici veni
MG nut - always something pending...
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/8/2011 9:57:19 AM
I've shot 500 brinell plates with 50bmg (ball) before and the rounds just bounce off. Maybe a little dent depending on if the plate is fixed or swinging. 50ap will punch through.
I'm mean nasty & tired. I eat concertina wire & piss napalm and I can put a round through a fleas ass at 200 meters.
FunYun1983
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/8/2011 10:54:03 AM

Originally Posted By 7:
I've shot 500 brinell plates with 50bmg (ball) before and the rounds just bounce off. Maybe a little dent depending on if the plate is fixed or swinging. 50ap will punch through.

It think it has more to do with the fact that its 3/8". Its the right steel, but probably not thick enough.

InfiniteGrim
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/8/2011 11:45:09 AM
Originally Posted By 7:

1/2" is the the thinnest for using .50 on it, the target in question is 3/8"
Nichonator
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/9/2011 8:09:18 PM
Originally Posted By rogue007:

I agree to the extent of, if you dont want to give Mark your money dont. Im sure some slave labored Mexican or Chinese company could come up with the same thing for about $100 each or cheaper but then there is that whole slave labor thing. Larue is made in the USA, quality built and plays by the rules tax and labor wise. So you can build your own, get a local shop to do it (bet they wont be a lot cheaper) or buy Marks and sleep well at night knowing you gave to the cause and got a great product. Just sayin.
WE THE PEOPLE
  Previous Page
Page:  / 2
ARCHIVED ARCHIVED