Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/14/2017 5:24:58 PM EDT
Having a hard time coming up with the right patch. I have a Dewey PH jag and bought the round 1.5" patches. They are too loose in the bore. And they really don't cover the complete length of the jag when wrapped, which makes me a little nervous.

This is for 6.5 bore. On the Dewey sight, it shows 1-3/4" square patch for my caliber. But I don't want something that's so tight it may get stuck.

Any experience or recommendations? Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 8:31:33 PM EDT
[#1]
use a 22 sized PH jag wrapped with a 30 cal sized patch wrapped around it (square). works perfectly. I test fire and clean a few rifles a day, and punch the bores on several more a day after washing, coating, machining, etc.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 8:35:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Reorx] [#2]
I would think that you want to at least cover the little "spikey" parts of the PH jag.  On my PH jag for .308 that is about 1.75" to 2.0".  If 1.75" produces an assembly that is "too thick", you might have to trim the patch to decrease the number of wraps around the jag...

Does that make sense?

The patches I use are HERE.  When you select a patch caliber group and then click the "Specifications" tab, you can find the actual dimensions of the patch.  Pick one that is long enough to cover the part of the jag you want covered.  Select an appropriate quantity and give them a try!  The 30 cal patches are 1.75" square...

Best,
- R -
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 11:46:55 PM EDT
[#3]
How long is the useable portion of your jag? I just ordered the same Dewey jag and am wondering the same before I bulk order. I’m looking into the procshot patches because I hear good things
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 5:01:18 AM EDT
[#4]
OP, the o-ring jags work whole lot better without putting your barrel at risk...I used to use all PH jags, but have since went to the o-ring jags....They are also less picky on the patch size allowing a wider variety to work.......

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 7:36:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AKSnowRider:
OP, the o-ring jags work whole lot better without putting your barrel at risk...I used to use all PH jags, but have since went to the o-ring jags....They are also less picky on the patch size allowing a wider variety to work.......

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/404934/Screenshot_2023-10-06_at_12_57_16_AM_png-2980423.JPG
View Quote

Where are you purchasing those?
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 8:44:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I also am curious where those came from
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 8:55:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Saber329:

Where are you purchasing those?
View Quote

I got mine at Brownells,but I am sure others sell them as well....

https://www.brownells.com/tools-cleaning/gun-cleaning/gun-cleaning-jags/o-ring-cleaning-jags/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top