Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2017 4:02:01 PM EDT
Looking for some input on what others are doing for lubing their bolt action rifles. Started looking online and instantly saw the arguments from several camps, so I thought I'd see what others here are doing.

I participated in my first local PRS style match yesterday and had multiple feed / jam issues manipulating my bolt. It's the 2nd time I've had this gun out and am confident it's not bolt / action related (purchased from someone I trust who competed with it regularly) and realize it could also be mag / ammo related. It's a REM 700 action w/AICS AW 10 Mag & Hornady 140 ELD-M Ammo.

The bolt was feeling tacky and sticking when cycling without ammo, so I got it home, disassembled, and degreased. Whatever was on there was put on by the gunsmith that re-barreled the rifle. Once I put it back together dry it was much better, but now I need to lube it.  

I have plenty of quality oils & grease but wondering if I should use a dry lube as this gun will regularly be used in dry, dusty conditions.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 4:33:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rob01] [#1]
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 10:58:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info, as always its simple & straightforward. I picked up the chamber cleaning tool, last night when I cleaned the chamber it was a real pain in the ass. This will help. Also picked up some dry lube per your recommendation.

@Rob01
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 8:10:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I came here to research/ask this very question. Thanks!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 2:24:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mackvli:
Thanks for the info, as always its simple & straightforward. I picked up the chamber cleaning tool, last night when I cleaned the chamber it was a real pain in the ass. This will help. Also picked up some dry lube per your recommendation.

@Rob01
View Quote
Did you get the dewey one with the weird swabs? I've been looking at those and wondering how well they work
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 3:11:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 3:32:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mackvli] [#6]
I got the Tipton one in Rob01's link @ Midway. Worked great, enough that's i plan on using them for all my rifles.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top