Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/7/2016 9:02:23 AM EDT
What is everyone using?

I have a slew of Otis gear and having been clicking around looking for a cleaning rod that was compatible with .22, .264, and .30 jigs and brushes... What is everyone using?

Also, is the Otis kit fine and not likely to cause and sort of damage to the rifling?
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 11:45:16 AM EDT
[#1]
most all kits have metal that is softer than the barrel

I love my otis kit - great all-in-one in a small package..  Never quite got the shotgun accessories figured out though

b
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 3:42:35 PM EDT
[#2]
get the right diameter and length dewey rod (or similar, coated with swivel handle) and jag.  then a chamber/bore brush / mop
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 4:07:35 PM EDT
[#3]
.22 and .30 cal Dewey rods (32", I think, long enough for 24" barrels), oversized bronze brushes for chamber (.50 for .470, .40 for .360), slightly oversized bronze brushes for bore, tipped jags, loop jags (for breach to muzzle in actions without rear access), Leatherman MUT EOD or a bronze pick/scraper for carbon.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 9:19:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: assaultdog0351] [#4]
So nobody makes a rod that is compatible with both .22 brushes and .30 brushes? One of my goals , if I stray away from the Otis kit, is to have just one rod.  does anyone know the thread pitch of the Otis kits? Can't seem to find it online, I am thinking if I can find a cleaning rod with the same threads, otis has multiple calibers brushes using the same threads.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 11:15:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HighpowerRifleBrony] [#5]
I just swapped the loop jags (Hoppe's?)between my rods so jags, brushes, etc should fit. It won't center in the bore as well, but a sub-caliber Dewey should work.

Just be sure to have the male to female adapter for the rod, otherwise you'll have to use Parker-Hale type bits IIRC.

Link Posted: 11/21/2016 4:44:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: assaultdog0351] [#6]
I picked up a tipton today after noticing is said 8-32 on the price label and I read every Otis product on the shelf and found where the ripcords said 8-32. All of my bronze and nylon brushes and eyelets fit on the tipton. This is the 22-26 cal, their 17 is a different pitch.

What this means for me is this 22-26 cal rod is actually good for 22 cal to 12 gauge due to using Otis 8-32 parts and adaptors (which I have already so no buying new shit)

edit: might still get jags for the 6.5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top