Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2016 7:32:55 PM EDT
What do I need for a basic starter kit to clean this thing?
My first bolt gun and I want to make sure I clean it properly.
I don't have any supplies or rods yet.

(actually have a few boresnakes but they are for .223 and 9mm)
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 8:42:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Throw away your boresnakes!!!

Get a good chamber guide, a good, one-piece rod, a push-through type jag and some snug patches. Any good solvent will do (like Hoppes No.9) A small toothbrush for the bolt face and you'll be set.

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 11:01:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank-- I don't clean my ARs and glocks much
But that's what the bore snakes are for

I do want to make sure I clean this one right
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 10:07:03 AM EDT
[#3]
On my RPR I use a bore guide from Possom Hollow. The bore guide keeps crap from getting into the action and trigger assembly. It also keeps the cleaning rods from scraping the chamber.

For guides I use a 36" carbon fiber one from Tipton. Works good so far. I use nylon brushes and bore jag.

I have been using M-Pro7 as a cleaner. It works good and doesn't smell like other stuff.

Link Posted: 6/15/2017 10:28:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By EzGoingKev:
On my RPR I use a bore guide from Possom Hollow. The bore guide keeps crap from getting into the action and trigger assembly. It also keeps the cleaning rods from scraping the chamber.

For guides I use a 36" carbon fiber one from Tipton. Works good so far. I use nylon brushes and bore jag.

I have been using M-Pro7 as a cleaner. It works good and doesn't smell like other stuff.
View Quote
What model boreguide? I can't find this RPR possum Hollow Bore guide everyone is talking about.

@EzGoingKev
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 3:27:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I could not find on their site either so I called them.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 3:52:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Reorx] [#6]
Interesting topic...

You DO want to get/have conventional cleaning equipment...  I have a 1 piece Tipton carbon fiber rod and a generic bore guide.  All my attachments that go on the end of the rod are nylon - brush, jag, slotted patch loop, etc.  You also want a good nylon brush, some cotton flannel patches, and a good general solvent like Hoppe's #9.  Having said that, I only use "conventional cleaning equipment" in a "Precision Rifle" relatively rarely as I want to get to a point of "copper equilibrium" in the bore.  Because I can not bring myself to shoot my rifle and not do something to "clean" it - this is what I use a bore snake for.  After a day of shooting, I take my rifle home and remove the bolt...  I stand the rifle on its muzzle on a rag on the floor and flood the chamber with WD-40 and let it run down the barrel to the muzzle...  I let it "soak" for 5 minutes...  then I lift the rifle off the rag and thread a (dry) boresnake and make 2 passes with it.  That's it for cleaning the bore.  I dry the chamber with a dry mop and then brush the bolt face and wipe down the bolt with a lightly oiled cloth.  I then use a toothpick and some quality lube (I like Wilson Ultima Lube Universal) to lightly and carefully lube the friction points on the bolt...  I then replace the bolt back in the gun and then store until the next outing.  So far I have not needed to do any "agressive" copper removal.  I wonder how many rounds I will run down the barrel before I think that it is necessary...  time will tell.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top