Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/1/2015 10:58:16 PM EDT
Hey guys I bought a remington 783 earlier this year and the bolt handle is starting to rust.
It shows orange/brown like speckles near the bolt handle...

I'm hoping this isn't rust, but my ar15 is showing similar symptom around the forward assist...

Is there anyway to treat this method? and hopefully prevent it from happening in the future?

I've never seen this issue on anyone else's rifle.
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 9:00:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Oil?
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 8:06:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Ryh86:
I've never seen this issue on anyone else's rifle.
View Quote

Perhaps they have found the secret of oiling down the rustable exposed surfaces.......
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 1:14:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Firearm maintenance rule #1 - oil it. Oil isn't just for lubing moving parts.

When I worked behind a gun counter a couple years ago, a guy bought a new Rem 700 from us. Brought it back 6 months later because he was unsatisfied with it because of rust and demanded a new one (right before deer season).

I looked at it...just surface rust. Nothing serious. He stated he took it out 2 months prior (during the summer), shot it to sight it in, and put it back in a soft case. I told him we can't return or exchange firearms, but we'd have to send it the the manufacturer if he wanted it fixed.

I got an AP brush, some Break Free, and cleaned it up in 2 minutes. He thanked me and took the rifle and left. Or at least I thought he left.

He immediately went to the manager and told them I had no idea what I was doing, that I am wrong, and that his gun is in fact "defective"

So I packed it up, and sent it to Remington so they could look at his discrepancies and fix any problem from the manufacturer.

But of course, the gun was boxed up and shipped with heavy amounts of oil (don't want it rusting on the way there ).

We finally received the gun back 4 months later with a letter from Remington that pretty much stated "".

He got mad because he missed out on deer season without a gun
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 4:19:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I found some of the familiar green fungus (prelim rust)
on my AR-15's flash hider.

I scrubbed it with a nylon brush soaked with Break Free
and it stopped with corrosion in it's tracks.

I frequently take my rifles and pistols out of the safe
and run patches coated with some kind of rust preventative
(does not have to be Break Free) thru the bore
and wipe the exterior surfaces with a soft cotton/flannel
cloth coated with oil.

Beware of oils that coagulate or solidify!

Beware of some plant-based chemicals that claim to
prevent rust:

I've heard horror stories of so-called
environmentally-friendly oils.

( Not naming names. )

Blued and parkerized surfaces are at risk.

Beware of using oils on painted surfaces!

I put a light coat of oil on my SIG 229's slide.

Turned out to be paint, which softened slightly.

Almost ruined the finish.

(Not all surfaces that look blued are....)

Hope this helps.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top