Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/18/2015 10:08:47 PM EDT
I've been using my OTIS cleaning kit on my plinking AR's.  Now I have a AR-308 with a new barrel. Would I be better off to use JP bore guide, & Dewey?  I ask cause I havnt head anything bad of OTIS.  For break in or cleaning a rifle barrel everyone talks about a guide & rod.  I understand stand pass the brush & patch slow & steady.  I don't use my OTIS as a pull crank on a push mow .  Just want to hear some por & cons.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:22:40 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm interested in the community's thoughts on this as well. I've used Otis' set on all of my guns except for my latest match grade barrel. I bought a guide and a rod for cleaning it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:27:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Cables and boresnakes have there place but for real cleaning your best bet is a quality 1 piece rod and bore guide that fits your specific action. Use quality chemicals and let them do the work.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 4:11:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 11:13:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob01:

Yup what he said. I have a bore snake in my kit for an emergency field pull through but to clean a good bore guide and rod is preferable.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By boretech:
Cables and boresnakes have there place but for real cleaning your best bet is a quality 1 piece rod and bore guide that fits your specific action. Use quality chemicals and let them do the work.

Yup what he said. I have a bore snake in my kit for an emergency field pull through but to clean a good bore guide and rod is preferable.

This.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:39:10 AM EDT
[#5]
It would be interesting if anyone actually did an analytic test comparing the options
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 10:13:51 AM EDT
[#6]
I feel like the "Otis vs. ____" or the "Boresnake vs. Rod" questions has been asked and the answers can be found online.  Why not test it yourself and lean it with the bore snake then run a soaked patch through it and see how clean it is.  Shoot it and clean it with a rod and see how clean it is.  Compare the two and make the decision for yourself.  

This should help answer your question
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 3:15:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By D-RAS03:

This.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By D-RAS03:
Originally Posted By boretech:

This.

And this.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 3:22:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ewetstone] [#8]
Originally Posted By durtychemist:
I feel like the "Otis vs. ____" or the "Boresnake vs. Rod" questions has been asked and the answers can be found online.  Why not test it yourself and lean it with the bore snake then run a soaked patch through it and see how clean it is.  Shoot it and clean it with a rod and see how clean it is.  Compare the two and make the decision for yourself.  

This should help answer your question
View Quote

Apples and oranges.

I use a Otis Ripcord after finishing at the range.  Usually I try while the bore is still slightly warm and spray some Breakfree CLP down the bore from the chamber end.

Let it sit for several minutes and then run the Otis ripcord thru one or twice followed by the ripcord with a clean patch or two.

That procedure give me a little leeway until I can get home a comfortable and then properly clean my rifles with a bore guide and one piece carbon fiber cleaning rod by Tipton.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 11:54:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Been using Otis for several years now. And very happy with the cleaning system.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top