Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/10/2014 2:11:50 AM EDT

Just saw this and this looks really cool!

"Need a new barrel for your Remington-actioned hunting or tactical rifle? McRee’s Precision has you covered. McRee’s is now offering complete, no-gunsmithing re-barreling kits for Remington and Rem-clone actions. These feature a high-quality, pre-chambered "PRE-FIT” stainless barrel from Criterion, a Savage-style barrel nut, a recoil lug, and a special barrel-nut wrench."

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2014/12/mcrees-pre-fit-barrel-option-for-rems-and-rem-clones-412-50/
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 9:30:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I was wondering how long it would take someone to do this.  Good for them.

I'll pass
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 9:39:21 PM EDT
[#2]
These have been around a while. Looks like McRee is just a dealer for them now.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 12:40:24 AM EDT
[#3]
For just a little more, I can get a Benchmark, Krieger, or Rock fitted by a smith in the normal way. I will pass.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 7:07:52 PM EDT
[#4]
This is kinda interesting as a way to get a little more accurate of a rifle vs the stock barrel, I wonder how much if any stock modification needs to be done though to accommodate the recoil lug and barrel nut.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:24:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Northland Shooter Supply has basically the same thing for significantly less.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 11:25:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Shilen uses the savage attachment system on their barreled DGR actions as well.  However their website is so terrible I didn't know this until I called up and ordered a barreled action.

If you check out http://www.shilen.com/productsCompleteRifles.html you can see the savage barrel nut on a barreled action.  It also looks like they use a floating bolt head like the savages.

Link Posted: 7/24/2015 12:38:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OhioLongRange] [#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Zebra312:

For just a little more, I can get a Benchmark, Krieger, or Rock fitted by a smith in the normal way. I will pass.

View Quote
Benchmark, Krieger, or Rock = 350 to 500$

chambered and fitted by a smith = 300$

threaded = 125$

or, i can get a CBI "krieger button rifle", schillen, pacnor, BHW, Lothor, or quite a few others for 300-400 threaded and ready to shoot and do it my self in the garage... and spend the 400+ on more ammo....

Link Posted: 7/27/2015 11:15:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Black Hole Weaponry makes them too. Stainless, polygonal rifling, very accurate barrels. I have 4 of their pipes and they're just amazing. If you're putting a budget rifle together it's a great way to go. If you have the extra 700 bucks to spend though I'd suggest an action truing and having a Krieger/Bartlein/Brux/Lilja barrel professionally installed. When I go to shoot at a high power match I do see quite a lot of Savage and Remington rifles. What I don't see are barrel nuts. That's for competition though. If you're just looking for an upgrade, a barrel nut conversion has some real upsides.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 4:12:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By OhioLongRange:

threaded = 125$

or, i can get a CBI "krieger button rifle", schillen, pacnor, BHW, Lothor, or quite a few others for 300-400 threaded and ready to shoot and do it my self in the garage... and spend the 400+ on more ammo....

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

threaded = 125$

Crazy talk man.  Dont say that stuff around here.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 11:47:39 PM EDT
[#10]

threaded = 125$

http://i.minus.com/jbwy1GPY5hKL8w.jpg

View All Quotes

threaded = 125$

Tell me moar....
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 7:50:19 AM EDT
[#11]
So barrel, nut, wrench, and HS gauges and you just mount it up, like an AR or Savage?  Cool.  

Tell Me More, pics or videos would be cool.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 7:08:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SICARIO] [#12]
I've done two of these, short action 308 and long action 300winmag on a rem action.  I don't consider these "budget builds" (barrel/nut/lug ran me close to $500), but it does save you some gunsmithing costs.  

On mine I faced off the front of the action and milled the relief for the recoil lug.  Once that's done you need an action wrench ($60ish) and a barrel nut wrench ($20ish) and headspace gauges for your desired caliber.  There's a little upfront cost, but I've done a few builds so the tooling cost has been spread out.   Also, if I need to rebarrel or want to change the caliber, I'm already half way there.

Link Posted: 1/4/2016 7:41:21 PM EDT
[#13]

threaded = 125$

View All Quotes

threaded = 125$

Exactly right. My friend went with a Criterion when rebarreling his Rem Seven from 7mm-08 to 308.  Took me all of 30 minutes to pull off the old bbl and install and headspace the new one.

Link Posted: 2/28/2016 10:11:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DonKey153] [#14]

Remage in 6.5x47 with pac-nor barrel.

Just got the barrel vise and action wrench this weekend. Waiting on a small FP bolt to arrive before I start load development.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 1:18:11 AM EDT
[#15]
BHW ploy barrel

Link Posted: 9/3/2016 10:23:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Buy a desert tech rifle and never need a smith again ;) i just yank out my barrel and slide another in on the fly, takes about a minute ;))
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 11:00:46 PM EDT
[#17]
That barrel nut just isn't right on a Remington  If it gets a guy into shooting and fits his budget you can't go wrong.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 6:41:58 PM EDT
[#18]
I think Bergara also makes a barrel nut conversion.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 6:26:21 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm looking into a Remage conversion as well.  I just have to determine if the company offering the work is quoting a decent price...It'd would be nice to not have to send my bolt action off to a smith every couple years for a new barrel.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 6:35:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Carolina_K:
I'm looking into a Remage conversion as well.  I just have to determine if the company offering the work is quoting a decent price...It'd would be nice to not have to send my bolt action off to a smith every couple years for a new barrel.
View Quote

The important thing with a remage conversion is that you don't let a gunsmith open up your receiver threads when truing your action.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 9:53:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By DonKey153:

The important thing with a remage conversion is that you don't let a gunsmith open up your receiver threads when truing your action.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DonKey153:

Finding a smith that doesn't shit on the Rem/age concept seems to be the hard part for me right now. Guess I'll step up to some of the bigger names.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 9:05:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Finding a smith that doesn't shit on the Rem/age concept seems to be the hard part for me right now. Guess I'll step up to some of the bigger names.
View Quote
That's because the concept isn't profitable for a gunsmith.  Unlike a conventional barrel swap where they can charge $250-$300 to remove and install a new barrel.

If the concept didn't work well then Savage wouldn't be in business anymore and Remington wouldn't have copied the concept of using a barrel nut on their Budget model 783.  

I am not a fan of Savage personally but I have friends who shoot them and love them.  Their rifles are very accurate and they are 100% factory.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top