Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/16/2017 11:31:43 AM EDT
this is one of those tiny "cotter" pin types that holds a large pin in place, like an axle, except the axle is only 1/4" wide.  This is a close-up of the black pin that holds a Knights Armament flip-up sight together, so shown below is the close-up and the larger view of the flip-up, for perspective.  Anything I can think of will scratch the surface.

Thanks in advance.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 11:40:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RevMetric] [#1]
The correct tool would be snap ring pliers.  Most are reversible and can be use for expanding or contracting snap rings.  

If you don't have much need for the tool beyond this project, I would just use a small flat bladed screwdriver to pry the ring apart enough to remove it from the slot.  It's not that hard.

If you are concerned about scratches, just use some tape on the screwdriver or under the ring.  Put the tape beside the pin and rotate the ring around to be over the tape.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 12:09:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Place a razor blade under the snap ring to protect whats underneath and to lever up. Use a driver of screws to pry apart at the opening.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 12:29:42 PM EDT
[#3]
aha.  Thanks.  Snap ring pliers are not that expensive, and there is always the right tool for the job.  The razor blade underneath sounds good as well.  Great forum to ask dumb questions.  Hopefully, I contribute in other areas, and take information here.    

As I look online, there are different sizes.  Would I want the angled ones, or straight, and it looks they come in sizes.  What size might I want for these types of smaller jobs?
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 3:47:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Just buy on of the snap ring plier kits.  They have straight 45* and 90* angled in 2,3,or 4 different sizes (diameters).  They are cheap and then you'll always have the right one
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 4:26:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GSHoptown:
Just buy on of the snap ring plier kits.  They have straight 45* and 90* angled in 2,3,or 4 different sizes (diameters).  They are cheap and then you'll always have the right one
View Quote
Do this.

Most snap rings have holes instead of slots like yours.  That's the reason the kits are the best option for this task and future tasks.  I bought a more expensive set because I use them a lot on motorcycles.  If I were going the use them only occasionally, these at Harbor Freight would work.

Snap Ring Kit
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top