Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/31/2017 9:14:56 AM EDT

I recently picked up a Savage 11 Predator XP in .223 because I like my Model 16 in .308 so much.  I had planned on replacing the stock bolt handle with the larger varmint rifle size.  Upon inspecting the rear of the bolt I find that it is not the usual 1/4" hex bolt holding the handle on.  I snapped a cell phone pic of the bolt which is shown above.  Has anyone run into one of these bolts?  Does it require a special tool to now disassemble the bolt?  Help!
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 11:58:44 AM EDT
[#1]
I just did this to the same gun. You need to uncock the bolt cam and it is a standard allen wrench. The little lump in the middle will retract. I grabbed the old handle in a vise to loosen the nut. It is very tight and I could not loosen by hand.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 12:17:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By deider:
I just did this to the same gun. You need to uncock the bolt cam and it is a standard allen wrench. The little lump in the middle will retract. I grabbed the old handle in a vise to loosen the nut. It is very tight and I could not loosen by hand.
View Quote
That is why I love this site!  Many thanks Brother!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top