Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2017 5:37:56 PM EDT
Anybody ever rebarreled a 93 Mauser in 6.5x55?  My dad gave me his old 93 Mauser (7x57) which is in need of a new barrel due to excessive head space.  I've been considering sending it to E.R. Shaw to have all the work done, rebarreled, tap receiver, forge bolt handle and so forth.  I know it ain't worth much but it was the first deer rifle my dad ever had and I want to turn it into something useful for sentimental reasons.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 3:15:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I love old Mausers..........

As to the choice of 6.5×55 I am not in a position to advise. 6.5 CM seems to be all the rage.
As to dropping down from 7×57 to 6.5×55 I would be tempted just to put another 7mm barrel on the thing most likely in 7×57 form.
But that is just me.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 1:44:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MitchAlsup:
I love old Mausers..........

As to the choice of 6.5×55 I am not in a position to advise. 6.5 CM seems to be all the rage.
As to dropping down from 7×57 to 6.5×55 I would be tempted just to put another 7mm barrel on the thing most likely in 7×57 form.
But that is just me.
View Quote

I've considered keeping it 7x57 since someone gave me some RCBS dies.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 2:43:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BigHunt] [#3]
If you reload, why couldn't you just adjust the sizing die to make up for the excessive headspace? I mean it's not like you have to full length size every time and set the shoulder all the way back to factory specs. All you have to do was incrementally screw the die in until the neck was sized enough to hold the bullet and leave the shoulder at the as fired length.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 11:25:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BigHunt:
If you reload, why couldn't you just adjust the sizing die to make up for the excessive headspace? I mean it's not like you have to full length size every time and set the shoulder all the way back to factory specs. All you have to do was incrementally screw the die in until the neck was sized enough to hold the bullet and leave the shoulder at the as fired length.
View Quote

Because the casings split vertically along the side when fired. I had considered removing the barrel and cutting back the shoulder and breach face then reaming the chamber again but with that much work I might as well rebarrel it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 10:58:34 AM EDT
[#5]
6.5 Swede or 7mm mauser will serve you well. both a great cartridges.  If it were my rifle i would go with 6.5 Swede
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top