Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/13/2016 11:07:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ckopp636]
I just purchased a 700 aac sd in 308 and i am wanting to set it up good. I have bedded the base but i am wondering if i should get a scope bar kit to check alignment and lap the rings? Do many people do this or is it likely not needed? If your rings are not aligned perfectly, how do you adjust that? Thanks
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 1:28:01 PM EDT
[#1]
If you got 2-piece rings and a nice scope I advocate getting and using an alignment tool and lapping bar. If you use cheapo rings this is an especially good plan. With high quality rings this isn't usually necessary but I would say it's still advisable to mount properly with an alignment tool if you're on a 2-piece base.

To adjust the rings, it depends on if you're using the Redfield/Leupold style of rings or the Weaver/Picatinny style. Redfield/Leupold have one ring that can rotate to adjust the angular alignment of the bars and one ring that can adjust left to right to alignment. Vertical misalignment is not adjustable but I've never had an issue with that with a retail purchased matched ring set.

Most people don't do the alignment or lapping bar from what I've seen but never judge your actions solely by their commonality with those of others.

I use Burris Signature Series rings which come with polymer Pos-Align inserts that eliminate all of that hassle while providing awesome grip on the scope and a method to dial MOA into the rings themselves.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 11:06:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Well worth the money. Of the hundreds of rings i have assembled for customers very few have been "spot on". Lower quality is obviously the worst USUALLY but even badger/seekins/sphur/nightforce/leupold all benefit from lapping. Even if the scope rings themselves are matched, they rarely maintain perfect axial alignment when tightened to the rail. The lapping of the rings will ensure greater contact for more holding power but more importantly it will alleviate undue stress on the scope tube.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 1:04:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I also use Burris Signature Series rings. 
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 12:33:42 AM EDT
[#4]
The first thing to do is check to see if you need to bed the one piece scope base. Search youtube on how to check to see if bedding is needed.

Actually  start off with quality  base and rings  more than likely  you'll not need to lap rings.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 7:25:47 PM EDT
[#5]
How would you know if you would need to lap the rings or not?  Is there a test that you could do to figure this out?
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 11:10:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Thats,what the tool is for to chekhov for alignment. It also has parts to lap it with.
I personally don't like to do it. I don't like removing material that applies the clamping force to the scope.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 6:15:22 PM EDT
[#7]
The op started off good by bedding  the mount and needs to finish  off with a good set of quality  rings and forget the bar and lapping  compound.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top