Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2016 11:56:07 PM EDT
I have a Winchester M70 in 300 H&H with a thin profile barrel. I would like to have it eventually threaded for a suppressor and since it has a .552" muzzle the only option is a 1/2x28 thread which will only leave a .026" shoulder. I understand I would need to put a bushing on the muzzle but there is another issue. When one puts a 1/2 thread on a .30 barrel is there enough meat left in the barrel walls after threading to hold up and not develop problems with stretching or anything else?

I'm starting to feel that it would be impractical to thread this barrel.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 1:53:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Not a smith...

However, that profile is thinner than the smallest Kreiger profile for that caliber as it stands.

I doubt it could be threaded and not bell out when fired.  

YMMV...just speculating.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 6:06:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Yankee_81] [#2]
should be ok, there really isn't much force against st the shoulder it's more to give the attachment (suppressor, brake etc) a square point to tighten against. AAC specs a minimum barrel thickness of .675 for a 5/8-24 attachment, so that's only a .025 shoulder. Shouldn't require any bushing at all.

http://www.advanced-armament.com/assets/images/pdf/manuals/ThreadGuideREV_01-040513.PDF
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 9:19:57 PM EDT
[#3]
That is a lot of gun behind little material though, A lot of force goes onto the can.. (look up that caliber) but I assume the PSI is pretty massive. I have seen 300 win cans fly 80 yards down range because people have used thread converters on skinny barrels. Any chance you would be willing to cut the barrel back to get some more material?

Not to scare you, and if you were asking about other smaller calibers I wouldn't have mentioned it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 12:37:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I would not advocate that thin of a barrel for a can.
1-You will have a very thin threaded spigot as mentioned, no shoulder for the can to register on as well.
2-I would feel POI shift will be an issue, that's a good bit of weight hanging on a slender tube.
3-Barrel undulation could contribute to a strike.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 7:06:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By m1garand__man:
I have a Winchester M70 in 300 H&H with a thin profile barrel. I would like to have it eventually threaded for a suppressor and since it has a .552" muzzle the only option is a 1/2x28 thread which will only leave a .026" shoulder.
View Quote

You end up with a 0.0838 wall thickness between the bottom of the threads and the crest of the grove.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 8:02:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MitchAlsup:

You end up with a 0.0838 wall thickness between the bottom of the threads and the crest of the grove.
View Quote
Gotta question your math.
1/2x28 Class lll thread minor diameter is  .4562. Bore diameter on a new 300H&H is .308.
.4562-.308=.1482/2= .0741.
That sure doesn't leave much to support a 30 caliber can let alone virtually no shoulder to register on.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 9:34:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By hockeysew:

Gotta question your math.
View Quote
Dang, I must have use the pitch diameter instead of the minor diameter.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 11:14:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By MitchAlsup:

Dang, I must have use the pitch diameter instead of the minor diameter.
View Quote
Damn public schools
Its all good Mitch
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 11:26:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RDTCU] [#9]
If the barrel profile is close enough to concentric with the bore already, you might get by with 9/16" or 14mm thread for more meat.
You would probably need to make or modify an adapter (likely for an AK) to index on the muzzle instead of the (non-existent) shoulder.  It's been done before.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top