Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/8/2016 12:47:09 PM EDT
A buddy of mine has a 700 5R-Milspec in 300 Win Mag with the 27" barrel.  He took it to a smith that was local to him and wanted it threaded for a suppressor/Brake and was told that those barrels could not be threaded because there was concentricity problems with them.  I told him to try another gun smith as I had not heard that before and have seen triangle shaped barrels threaded as long as there is enough material for the 5/8-24 pattern.  They are centered off the bore, not the outside.  Anyone else heard of an issue with threading one of these barrels?  Yes we both know there are factory threaded versions of this rifle, but they come with shorter barrels, so its not desirable.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 3:36:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I thread them all the time with no issue.
That being said you have mail.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 10:28:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 12:12:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies, that backs up what I originally thought.  I will pass the information along.  Bad part is that he was going to sell it to me because he didn't think he could thread it, I told him I believed there was no reason it couldn't be threaded and I would buy it from him, then have my local smith thread it (he is also a suppressor manufacturer).  

This is good and bad news though, I may have just screwed myself out of a sweet deal once I tell him that there are no issues with his original plan.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top