Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2016 7:36:08 PM EDT
Has anyone had success with PTG bottom metal for a Savage 10 FP-SR?  I found a good deal on the 4.4" spaced PTG for Savage with top/side bolt release and was hoping someone has had some experience.  I plan on using it with the OEM plastic stock for now and figure that won't be a problem, but was hoping someone has used it with an after market stock. I am leaning toward an HS-Precision PST114, but don't want to get stuck doing too much inletting.  Online reviews seem mixed and there does not seem to be to many threads discussing compatibility.  Thanks for the help.

Link Posted: 2/19/2016 7:05:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one on a Win M70, and an HS Precision.  They are not drop in, and will require inletting.
Link Posted: 3/5/2016 2:38:55 PM EDT
[#2]
This is a quick follow-up post that will hopefully save someone else some time.  I picked up the PTG 4.4” bottom metal (side/top bolt release) with a PMAG and shipping for $130, thinking I was getting a good deal.  Turns out it was kinda’ a good deal.  The thing seemed well built, and not that heavy for what it was.  The magazine fit nice and tight and I was itching to get into something other than the plastic non Accustock that comes with the 10 FP.  Mostly because I have monkey arms and the standard LOP is too short.

Turns out it was hard to find one that did not require a significant amount of inletting.  After reaching out via e-mail to a few different companies, and getting nothing, I was frustrated.  Then I came across a You Tube video that led me Manner’s.  Their “stock builder” gave me the impression I could get one from them that would work with the PTG.  So I called.  I got a quick call back and spoke with Matt, who proceeds to tell me all of their Savage stock come with the MCS-BDLSV mini chassis and they are only compatible with factory or CDI bottom metal.  

Although I was super frustrated with the lack of compatibility, Matt was very helpful and they happened to have a MCS-T4 in desert tan ready to go.  It was inletted for factory bottom metal and Matt said they don’t fit back in the mill after the chassis was installed.  That said, they can ship straight to CDI.  Pam at CDI said they will do the inletting for free and even trim the screws as close as they could with their model 10 action.  So she sold me on CDI.

While neither place was cheap, the service was great.  Manner’s will add some flush cups, a rail and even repaint the thing desert sage.  CDI was equally helpful.  So to all those folks out their thinking about building up a Savage, this might be the way to go.  Now I wait for everything to come in and see how she shoots.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 5:24:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I run the PT&G bottom metal on my Model 11 6.5 Creedmoor and it works just fine. Yes, it required inletting the tang and mag well areas, but I did it by hand with files in about an hour. It's in a Bell & Carlson M40 stock:

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 10:36:54 AM EDT
[#4]
My Model 70 PTG metal dropped right in.
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 2:31:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TempeM1A] [#5]
So I finally had time to get the 10FP and Manners combo out to the range.  I am very pleased with the setup.  I seems the Manners/CDI bottom metal likes the PMAG better than the AI; I wanted to try one of each to see if the gun had a preference. Both function 100% but the AI seems to feed a bit rougher than the PMAG.  The folks at CDI trimmed the screws for me, so all I had to do was drop in the 10 FP and torque the screws down to 65 inch-lbs.  Everything fits together just fine and the rifle has a nice balance.

And she shoots great.  The holes below the 1' line and above 3' line are a result of elevation adjustments.  The group left of the center line is the final group, with the exception of the hole on the 2" line, which is a result of me getting used the Accutriger.  You have to pull that thing straight back or the sear will disengage without the firing pin striking (i.e. click and no bang).  This was at 100 yards will some wind.  The ballistic chart tells me I should be 2.5" high at 100 yards to have a 200 M zero.  Will have to wait stretch her out to confirm (adjusted 1 MRAD when I got home).  The wind pushes down a bit at the end of the PHX Rod and Gun Club Public Range. Not trying to prove how good of a shot I am but how good of a shooter the rifle is.  The only National Match I will ever see is on the outside of a Federal box..

Link Posted: 6/5/2016 12:53:30 AM EDT
[#6]
That's a good lookin rifle.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:10:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Nice looking rifles and nice install
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 3:46:21 PM EDT
[#8]
It took me a 6 pack and a dremmel to inlet my ptg bm into my BC m40 stock
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top