Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2017 2:51:16 PM EDT
A while back I bought a 6.5 CM and purchased approx 100 rds of different Hornady factory ammunition to initially see what the rifle might like so I could begin reloading my own. Later I saw that Lapua had come out with small primer brass that was supposed to be "THE ANSWER" to accuracy. So far I haven't seen  anything from anyone who has actually tried a comparison between the two. Obviously Lapua is great brass but obviously it's a little pricey too. Anybody here actually tried it?  Worth it? I can't find any in stock and I've got some on BO. Just wondering if it's worth waiting for?
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 3:00:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DevL] [#1]
I'd like to know just how much difference there is. Unfortunately, I just bought 3K of Federal Large Rifle Match primers.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 7:42:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 8:32:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Small primers will help with primer pocket life and may help with consistency, but they won't magically make groups shrink 
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 10:38:59 PM EDT
[#4]
For some reason I could not get Hornady brass to shoot as well as Lapua brass in 6.5 Creedmoor with Berger 140gr Hybrid Target. Opens up from 1/2 MOA with Lapua brass to 1MOA with Hornady. No matter how I altered the load with powder charge, groups twice as large. I did various things for brass prep including neck only sizing, changing out sizing bushings, and eliminating expander balls. No go.

I was able to get Hornady brass to shoot with the 130gr Berger AR Hybrid, though, and it shoots equal to Lapua in that regard.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 11:12:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Just trying a few things to see if there's any improvement. I normally use Remington 9 1/2 primers, tried some CCI BR's. Groups doubled in both the Creedmore and my Grendel!
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 11:27:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By coyotewillie:
Just trying a few things to see if there's any improvement. I normally use Remington 9 1/2 primers, tried some CCI BR's. Groups doubled in both the Creedmore and my Grendel!
View Quote
primers can push you in and out of nodes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top