Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/9/2017 2:30:36 PM EDT
What factory ammo I should be looking at with a Remington 700 VS with 1/12 twist barrel? I will be using this rifle to start learning about precision shooting. I know this is not the ideal twist, but it is what I am working with to get started. 

I have been looking at Hornady 53 gv V-max Superformance, but it looks like this might be for a 1/9 twist? I am not sure. What are the ammo recommendations where I should start with or should I go to the store and buy a few different boxes of match ammo and see how they group?
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 3:59:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Your gun should shoot 53's with no problem 50 or below might be better ?
I have the VS and an older PSS in 12 twist that shoot well with anything under 55 grain.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 7:46:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HighpowerRifleBrony] [#2]
The 53gr VMAX is long and sleek for it's weight, close to the length of the 69gr SMK.

I'd recommend the 50gr or 55gr VMAX as they're stubbier.

http://www.jbmballistics.com/ballistics/lengths/lengths.shtml#Hornady

http://www.bergerbullets.com/twist-rate-calculator/

The 53's BC is 0.290 G1. I was getting an SG of 0.9 whereas 1.3 is my comfortable minimum for stability.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 3:41:04 PM EDT
[#3]
55 grain and under. You don't have enough twist for anything heavier.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 12:57:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I had excellent results with Sierra's 55 gr BTHP GameKing out of my M700 Varmint 1/12 barrel, 1/2 MOA was not uncommon.  I found you can also shoot up to 64 gr flat base bullets as well.
Good Luck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top