Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2017 1:28:52 AM EDT
I was shooting Hornady 123gr AMax out of my 6.5grendal on Saturday. I had a few failure to feed issues. When I cleared it the plastic tip on the Amax bullets were gouged.

Has anybody ever had feeding issues with balistic tips? I have not had very much experience with them.

I'm thinking about pulling the tips out of them for a few magazines and seeing if it solves the issue.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 8:59:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 11:01:06 AM EDT
[#2]
My "go to" bullets are mostly of the polymer "ballistic tip" type.  (See my avatar)  I've not had one feed problem with them - ever.  I shoot them in both .223 and .308.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 12:42:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies. What should I look for about the feedlip geometry. These are the E-Lander mags from Alexander arms.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 7:47:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: md7989] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By benb:
Thanks for the replies. What should I look for about the feedlip geometry. These are the E-Lander mags from Alexander arms.
View Quote
I'd bet folding money it's not the ammo...it's going to be your mags or feed system on the gun. Likely going to be an issue with your feed ramps, and if it is the mags maybe something not letting the ammo sit back far enough in the mag, thus causing the tips to gouge into the ramps?

You didn't tell us what upper and barrel you're using...

And I concur with Rob...thousands of ELDs, AMAXs, and SSTs with no tip deformation
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 3:46:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By md7989:

I'd bet folding money it's not the ammo...it's going to be your mags or feed system on the gun. Likely going to be an issue with your feed ramps, and if it is the mags maybe something not letting the ammo sit back far enough in the mag, thus causing the tips to gouge into the ramps?

You didn't tell us what upper and barrel you're using...

And I concur with Rob...thousands of ELDs, AMAXs, and SSTs with no tip deformation
View Quote
Its an AA barrel and a BCM upper.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top