Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2017 5:24:31 PM EDT
I was recently shooting groups with different loads to evaluate a barrel, what barrel and what loads aren't important to this question (I don't want to get derailed ).  Anyway I struck up a conversation with an older gentleman who ended up spotting for me.  He noticed that the first shot of several of my groups was off from the rest of the group and he said in his experience that's common when switching powders.  Apparently he was a long time competitor of long range silhouettes and used a different load for the rams than he did for the closer targets.  He said every time when he switched loads the first shot would always go 8" high, the second 2" low, and then the rest would settle into a good group.  He attributed it to the difference in fouling between the powders.  

I thought about this for a while, and I think I understand his theory.  Let's say powder A makes fouling with a different amount of friction than powder B's fouling.  Bullet/load A fired through flouling A gives a certain point of impact, and bullet/load B through fouling B gives a certain point of impact, but bullet/load B through fouling A is going to give yet a 3rd point of impact.  So when you switch from load A to load B it takes a couple shots to replace fouling A with fouling B and you end up with first shot flyers.

Does anybody else's experience reflect this? Or is the guy crazy?
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 5:33:30 PM EDT
[#1]
It's commonplace, don't worry about it. 
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 8:35:14 PM EDT
[#2]
It is a well studied phenomenon.
It is real.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 10:47:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ballisticxlr] [#3]
I'm a regular metallic silhouette competitor. One of the things I had to do when setting up my match gun was tune my ram loads to not need any fouling shots. When I got the rifle the previous owner had done that already but used a powder and bullet for the ram loads that I didn't normally deal with and had no other use for. I wanted to use one my preferred powders and one of my preferred bullets so I had to build a load that would shoot to POA right off the bat without any fouling shots. Since I try to start on the pigs that ends up necessary. My coach prefers to start on rams for related reasons (but also so he takes all the hard recoil early and finishes the match on lighter kicking chicken/pig/turkey loads). I think this is one of the things that made fast 6's like 6XC and 6Wally and 6CM so popular in the last few years. Just load up some 115gn DTAC's running ~3000fps and you've go enough for a super light recoiling load that will go across the course, no POI changes and stupid fast running 6mm's seem to have a hard time ringing targets, they go right down. Personally I'm not a fan because those loads chew the snot out of the chickens. I personally use a 7BR right now in standard gun class and I'm building a 6.5grendel for hunter gun class.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 4:23:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Wow, I just learned something new. I guess I've just never really switched bullets mid-session. Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 12:15:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ballisticxlr:
I'm a regular metallic silhouette competitor...
. I personally use a 7BR right now in standard gun class and I'm building a 6.5grendel for hunter gun class.
View Quote
You have to post or let me know how the grendel does on rams. I was thinking of the same thing but figured it would be marginal at rams. I've been looking at the creedmoor instead.

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 5:06:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top