Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/1/2017 11:18:51 PM EDT
Looking through the tables, 220 bthp show a .76 bc. How does it stack against the 6.5 in the real world.

3006 vs cm...
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 11:38:57 PM EDT
[#1]
It depends on the velocity.

Obviously it drops more, but the heavy .30s are more stable in the wind.
I would look at the highest BC, heaviest bullets, as in, the 230 Bergers. The 215 Hybrid is a good choice too, since it can go a little faster.

@Popnfresh has done a lot of work with this.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 8:32:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#2]
The numbers for my 230gr loads are confirmed in real world to 1050yds going by drops so it is safe to assume, for comparison purposes, that the charts I made in the thread below are pretty damn close.

My barrel on my .308 is 20" so for the 6.5 velocities I searched forums to get an idea of what people were getting from 20" 6.5CMs.

I have not tried my 6.5Grendel with 140hybrids at long range yet but of course that is pretty slow at about 2490fps so it wont be spectacular, 147elds are on backorder but I am not optimistic about the velocities I will get with those.

My verdict on the deal is if the recoil doesn't  bother you,  you can take time to range your targets and have decent ES and SD numbers there isn't much difference(given the same bbl length) as far as hitting you targets. 

I cannot find the 220bthp, I found a 225bthp. The 220 you listed has quite a bit higher G1 than the Bergers I use so the should perform better yet if that number is accurate. 

If you are using a 3006 you should have better results,  I am trying to make my .308 a 06 with the long loads 

230 vs. 140
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 12:13:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Much much info to digest...thanks for posting
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 5:24:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 4:22:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HighpowerRifleBrony] [#5]
German Salazar kicked plenty of "sub caliber" ass from 600-1000yds with .30-06 and .308 before hanging up the coat a couple years ago. From his experience with 6XC, drift was slightly less, but mostly there were fewer points lost to "corner shots" due to less recoil.

ETA: if Palma type shooting is "real world".

Too bad his Rifleman's Journal blog is no more. A few of his articles are still on AccurateShooter.com.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top