Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/9/2016 11:55:02 AM EDT
Would a 308 Win fired in a 26" barrel burn the powder more consistently then say a 308 Win fired in a 20" barrel? Would the longer barrel have a better SD & ES?
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 12:01:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Interesting Question.

I don't believe that barrel length has an effect on powder burn consistency.  I've had great loads come out of both long and short barrels as far as ES/SD.  
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 11:53:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By CoffeedrinkerinNC:
Would a 308 Win fired in a 26" barrel burn the powder more consistently then say a 308 Win fired in a 20" barrel? Would the longer barrel have a better SD & ES?
View Quote
All of the stuff that's really going to affect SD/ES of velocities takes place before the bullet is fully engaged into the rifling.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 1:13:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Some powders burn hotter than others. That's why folks test with different powders for best performance. Quickload software can give you a good estimate how much powder is burned with a given powder from what I have been told. On my wish list of things to buy in the future.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 2:21:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By CoffeedrinkerinNC:
View Quote

The bullet reaches Mach by about 3" into the bore.
The bullet reaches 90% of MV by about 12" into the bore.

On the other hand, given a well chosen slower burning powder, one can get another 100 fps from a 24" barrel than from a 20" barrel, and that 100 fps translates into another 100 yards downrange befor Mach transition.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top