Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/11/2016 9:13:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DenverDave]
Anyone tried these new ELD-Match bullets from Hornady?
Looks like they have added a 130gr and a 147gr bullets to there ELD-Match Line.  The 147gr advertises close to a .7 G1 BC..... Thats a big step up from most .264 cal bullets which trend between .5-.6 G1 BC.  With the exception of the Nosler 142gr accubond LR which claims a  0.719 G1 and is widely thought to be a BS BC.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 5:04:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 12:51:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob01:
The Hornady is not a BS BC like others. It's been Doppler tested. You can see the banded BCs for different velocities listed here http://www.hornady.com/BC

I have 500 of the 147 and 130s and plan to load some up on Monday. From the reports on Snipers Hide they were able to be gotten up over 2800fps from a 26" barrel.
View Quote

Did they say what load they used? Just picked up the vol 10 of hornady reload book. The 147's are not listed.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 9:32:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 9:06:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Any idea when Hornady factory loads using this pill are going to be out?
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 11:05:52 PM EDT
[#5]

Here's a link to the thread and the info is about 1/2-3/4 of the way down.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=541&f=5532&t=15111011
View Quote

It was a 260AI that was pushed pretty hard.  I've got 500 on backorder for my Tikka CTR in 260REM.  But run on over to Hornady's website and use their 4DOF ballistic calculator on this projectile using 26 Nosler velocities.  It's fairly easy for people to push 142SMK's to 3250fps.  I don't think 3200fps would be out of the question on this projectile from a 26 Nos.  Take that and compare it to a factory 338LM plot...your eyes might jump out of your head.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 11:07:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By EzGoingKev:
Any idea when Hornady factory loads using this pill are going to be out?
View Quote

I've seen some already on a few sites.  Not a ton out there but some has made it out already.

As of me posting this I'm seeing Able's Ammo and Buds gun shop having it in stock:

http://ammoseek.com/ammo/6.5mm-creedmoor/Hornady-rifle-147grains-
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 11:27:59 PM EDT
[#7]
OK thanks. I checked the places I deal with and they do not have it so I figured it was not out yet.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 11:30:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Tag.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 3:20:41 PM EDT
[#9]
My Saum should be done this week, and I'm hoping to get a load worked up and hopefully run these at a match on the 22nd.  I was running some numbers in 4DOF which seems to provide very good data and a .340 G7 looks pretty good across the velocity range out to 1300 or so
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 4:06:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By TeeRex:
My Saum should be done this week, and I'm hoping to get a load worked up and hopefully run these at a match on the 22nd.  I was running some numbers in 4DOF which seems to provide very good data and a .340 G7 looks pretty good across the velocity range out to 1300 or so
View Quote

Interested in the results.  Also interested in finding some in stock!  
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 4:32:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Got my 6.5mm barrel a week or two ago. Gonna get the gunsmith to swap it out when I get back from vacation in February.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 8:56:01 AM EDT
[#12]
My gun isn't ready yet, my builder got tied up before shot and didn't get a chance to get it painted.

I think after I get through my 147s I will probably switch a 140 class in the saum.  I got the Litz custom curves for a bunch of new bullets and was playing with them.  a 140 ELDm is still flatter out to a mile than the 147.  I was using 3100 for the 140 and 3050 for the 147.  I'll still test them, but i think the unfortunate truth is it won't have a real advantage.   Maybe something with even more horsepower like a 26 nosler can full take advantage of it.

The litz numbers pretty much match up with Hornady 4DOF numbers and i'm finding that standard g7 numbers really aren't meshing up with these newer bullets everyone is coming out with.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 9:43:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#13]
I am going to try them in my Grendel.

The velocity i get with 130hybs, 140hybs and my predicted velocity for the 147eld, on paper nets about the same performance. Very slightly better wind performance with the increased weights.

That is using Hornadys stepped g7 BCs.

Of course my 147 are on back order.

The 147elds are not much cheaper than the hybrids but i still want to try firing them into transonic to get some real world BC data.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 10:21:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By popnfresh:

The velocity i get with 130hybs, 140hybs and my predicted velocity for the 147eld, on paper nets about the same performance. Very slightly better wind performance with the increased weights.

The 147elds are not much cheaper than the hybrids but i still want to try firing them into transonic to get some real world BC data.
View Quote

Looking forward to what you find.  Just playing with numbers comparing the Litz and 4DOF curves to the stepped BCs hornady really needs to publish 1 if not two more steps because they numbers look like they will deviate.  I have plenty of 147's but my build got pushed back because I decided to change change stocks out from one I already have.  the 140 RDF may be a strong performer based on what i'm hearing as well.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 12:38:45 PM EDT
[#15]

View Quote

I'm interested in the differences in COAL between the final loads with the different cartridges.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 12:45:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By dyezak:

I'm interested in the differences in COAL between the final loads with the different cartridges.
View Quote
one thing that is going to play into is how much freebore there is.  The hornadys all have much longer bearing surface than something like a berger hybrid.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 1:46:22 PM EDT
[#17]
My Grendel 140hyb is 2.460", the 130hybAR is 2.390" both about .010" off the lands.

If the 147eld has a longer bearing surface than the 140hyb I probably wont get the case capacity I need for the mv I am predicting.

I get 2590 from the 130(24" bbl)
2490 from the 140
QL predicts 2425 from the 147
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 3:08:39 PM EDT
[#18]
My Grendel 140hyb is 2.460", the 130hybAR is 2.390" both about .010" off the lands.

If the 147eld has a longer bearing surface than the 140hyb I probably wont get the case capacity I need for the mv I am predicting.

I get 2590 from the 130(24" bbl)
2490 from the 140
QL predicts 2425 from the 147
View Quote

The 140 has more than a 140 hybrid and the 147 has more than that.  The 147 is .800 Base to Ogive with an OAL of 1.435.  

The I tried them in my 6.5x47 I couldn't get much speed because I had so much bullet in the case.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 3:14:15 PM EDT
[#19]

The 140 has more than a 140 hybrid and the 147 has more than that.  The 147 is .800 Base to Ogive with an OAL of 1.435.  

The I tried them in my 6.5x47 I couldn't get much speed because I had so much bullet in the case.
View Quote

Can I buy a handful of them from you so I can try them in a 260REM load?
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 3:51:53 PM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

This bullet seems more suitable for the big cartridges than the 308-based options (and especially in the Grendel), where the speed advantage of the lighter offerings eclipses advantages seen with higher BC numbers in heavier bullets.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 3:57:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By RictusGrin:

This bullet seems more suitable for the big cartridges than the 308-based options (and especially in the Grendel), where the speed advantage of the lighter offerings eclipses advantages seen with higher BC numbers in heavier bullets.
View Quote
I agree  I tested with with what I have, I'm going to play with the rest in my saum, but even in that case I dont think it's going to be much if any advantage. 

26 Nosler you might see some real benefit. 
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 4:02:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#22]

View Quote
My interest,using them in the Grendel, is the ability to fight wind drift. I don't  care about flatness. Generally,in what i have done, the speed required for the light bullets to resist wind better than the heavy is not obtainable 

I am trying the ELDs honestly, because  i don't believe their advertised BCs. 

Long bearing surfaces and stubby noses(vs. a hybrid) make it difficult for me to believe  their numbers.....but then i have only seen pictures so...
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 4:13:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RictusGrin] [#23]
My interest,using them in the Grendel, is the ability to fight wind drift. I don't  care about flatness. Generally,in what i have done, the speed required for the light bullets to resist wind better than the heavy is not obtainable 

Long bearing surfaces and stubby noses make it difficult for me to believe  their numbers. 
View Quote

That certainly makes sense, given your parameters. I'm interested in trying them in a 264 Win Mag (late father's first rifle) once it's finally rebarreled with a 26", but the 140 Berger Hunting VLD in my 6.5C 24" R700makes me wonder if it's worth the trouble.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 4:25:50 PM EDT
[#24]

Long bearing surfaces and stubby noses(vs. a hybrid) make it difficult for me to believe  their numbers.....but then i have only seen pictures so...
View Quote

They seem to be from my experience, but the bands are narrow, and there needs to be more.

I'm not a ballistician, but I see a lot of these new bullets that are deviating from the standard G7 shape so a BC is only so accurate anyway.  Both the 4DOF and the Litz curves aren't using a BC and I see that as the way of the future.

It is something that interest me as the 140 ELD and the 140 RDF are totally different shapes and getting good results.  The 140 RDF looks like it might have some serious potential as a saum bullet as well.

It was exactly a year ago I took the the 140ELD out using their .305 G7.  I hit .4 high at 900.  They bumped it up to .312 and I was using .320.

Litz just gave it a .322

I have the Litz assigned numbers and most of the custom curves from the Library update.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 4:53:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#25]

They seem to be from my experience, but the bands are narrow, and there needs to be more.

I'm not a ballistician, but I see a lot of these new bullets that are deviating from the standard G7 shape so a BC is only so accurate anyway.  Both the 4DOF and the Litz curves aren't using a BC and I see that as the way of the future.

It is something that interest me as the 140 ELD and the 140 RDF are totally different shapes and getting good results.  The 140 RDF looks like it might have some serious potential as a saum bullet as well.

It was exactly a year ago I took the the 140ELD out using their .305 G7.  I hit .4 high at 900.  They bumped it up to .312 and I was using .320.

Litz just gave it a .322

I have the Litz assigned numbers and most of the custom curves from the Library update.
View Quote
You have Litz custom curves for the ELDs and RDFs?
Edit: found the curve for the eld.

I wonder if "they" will come up with a new BC standard projectile to better fit these new LR bullets.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 7:10:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TeeRex] [#26]
You have Litz custom curves for the ELDs and RDFs?
Edit: found the curve for the eld.

I wonder if "they" will come up with a new BC standard projectile to better fit these new LR bullets.
View Quote

I think my Library currently has most of the ELDs and the 70 grain 224 RDF.  Still waiting on the rest.

I'd be interested to see if "they" do come up with something.  There is definitely a difference between the 110smk and RDF type bullets and the ELD line in shape.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 7:39:34 PM EDT
[#27]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

They're supposed to be radar verified BCs.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 8:54:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 9:02:55 PM EDT
[#29]

They are Doppler tested and true from everyone who tested them even the all mighty lord Litz. People just don't want to believe it.
View Quote

Litz has the 147 around .332.  The Hornady numbers aren't wrong, but I see a lot of people misapplying them.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 8:03:20 PM EDT
[#30]

They are Doppler tested and true from everyone who tested them even the all mighty lord Litz. People just don't want to believe it.
View Quote
While Litz is in fact my Lord, being a BC fanboy I want to believe they are everything they claim.
You can see though how people might have difficulty grasping the idea of such high numbers from a less sleek appearing, not much longer bullet. 
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 10:07:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 11:01:20 AM EDT
[#32]

I can see how people might if they weren't tested on Doppler and the bullets that have already come out have proven to be true BCs. But people who say "oh I am waiting to see what Litz comes up" are just too much. It's testing them with an less accurate method by a "third party" who works for a competitor. Not saying Bryan would fudge numbers but you can see how silly that sounds. Kind of like I don't believe the gas mileage Honda says they are getting so I will wait until Toyota tests them.
View Quote
Yeah manufacturers never overstate their products greatness.
If Honda claims 60mpg when everyone else is getting 40mpg from their similar models I am going to be skeptical. 

You are sponsored by Hornady and have more access to info than I, so forgive my ignorance, I didn't realize they were proven to be true.
I just wish I could get some to try, they are on BO.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 11:04:41 AM EDT
[#33]
So, any reviews?
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 11:09:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By VooDoo3dfx:
So, any reviews?
View Quote

I shot a few of them in November when I first got them, out of a less than ideal 6.5x47.  I had to have a lot of bullet jammed into the case due to the relatively short freebore in my chamber.

I think this particular bullet doesn't gain enough BC with it's increased bearing surface to make it more efficient.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 11:18:33 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 11:23:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 5:42:50 PM EDT
[#37]
I see the factory loads showing up at more places now. Has anyone had a chance to try any?
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 9:22:03 PM EDT
[#38]
These things even really exist? They can hand out thousands of them but none to sell I guess. 
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 10:00:19 AM EDT
[#39]
These things even really exist? They can hand out thousands of them but none to sell I guess. 
View Quote
I just sold 375 of them after deciding I didn't care for them, and seeing what some other people were getting performance wise out of a Saum.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 10:56:22 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 7:24:53 PM EDT
[#41]
I tried the factory 147 ELD-M ammo out of my 26" Criterion 6.5 Creedmoor on a Savage 11 action. 0.5-0.6" 5 shot groups were normal. I didn't get a chance to get velocity as I just wanted to shoot for groups (was working load development with 143 ELD-X that day) and didn't take the magnetospeed that day. I bought 4 boxes of them just to see how they do and use as barrel foulers lol
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 8:25:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 8:56:06 AM EDT
[#43]
Buddy of mine shot the factory147 load through his rifle and his velocity was 2754fps. 26" Barrel.
View Quote

Thanks for the info Rob. I might try to shoot a few this weekend just for giggles and get some data
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 7:49:58 AM EDT
[#44]
I bought some of the 140 gr ELD-M projos  but now reading this I am wondering if I should have gone with the 147gr instead.  
Barrel is Bartlein gain twist 8.7-7.7 24". Thoughts? 
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 8:42:02 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 2:42:10 AM EDT
[#46]

Nothing at all wrong with the 140 ELD-Ms. They are my go to match bullet now but the 147s are just a newer bullet that's getting some testing and offering another good option. Shoot the 140s. They will do fine for you.
View Quote
Rob's right - don't overthink it. The 147 is a better bullet in a larger case and long barrels, but that advantage will only show at the very extreme ranges of practical shooting. Too many people tend to want to tinker rather than dial in something that works and just shoot.

For example, a 6.5 Creedmoor with a typical barrel length (22-26") will really shine with the 123-130gr class at all short-medium ranges, and not be that far off the 140gr class in the wind at 1000. To really make the 140's hugely better, you need more boiler room and a tube to burn it. The question becomes, do you shoot 90% of your rounds at targets 800y and in? If so, don't expect any noticeable improvements in hits just by jacking up the bullet weight and BC a little.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 8:46:53 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By ScottyS:

Rob's right - don't overthink it. The 147 is a better bullet in a larger case and long barrels, but that advantage will only show at the very extreme ranges of practical shooting. Too many people tend to want to tinker rather than dial in something that works and just shoot.

For example, a 6.5 Creedmoor with a typical barrel length (22-26") will really shine with the 123-130gr class at all short-medium ranges, and not be that far off the 140gr class in the wind at 1000. To really make the 140's hugely better, you need more boiler room and a tube to burn it. The question becomes, do you shoot 90% of your rounds at targets 800y and in? If so, don't expect any noticeable improvements in hits just by jacking up the bullet weight and BC a little.
View Quote
I guess I'll just stick with the 140 Berger Hybs then....
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 4:15:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BoxofRox] [#48]
My buddy has been loading up these and the 143 ELD x. He's around 2750 with these and 2800 with the 143, which comes out to about .1 mil drop difference at 1k yards, but the energy of the 147 is nearly 100 ft lbs higher at that range. We didn't talk about wind, but they have a crazy similar flight path.

24" barrel.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 8:59:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#49]
I worked the 147s up last weekend out of my 24" 6.5 Grendel. I settled on 2425fps.
This will slightly out perform my 140Hybrid at 2485fps if I get as good SDs as the 140hybs give me.

Custom drag curves
140Hybrid
Attachment Attached File

147eldm
Attachment Attached File

BTW, if I raise the MV of both by 500fps, it is the same difference in performance.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 12:39:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: md7989] [#50]
Finally got to chronograph the factory 147 ELD rounds. I shot them from a Savage with a 26" Criterion 1:8 twist and got an average of 2796 fps and an SD of 10 fps over an 8 round string. They shot 0.5 MOA at 100 yards. Temperature this morning was 62 F with a NNE wind at 3-5 mph (I was shooting towards the north) and humidity was 51%

This is faster than my proven 0.5 MOA handload using 143 ELD-X over 41.8 gr H4350 going 2765 fps in the same temperature. I bought 4 boxes of the 147 ELD right when it came out (got it from Red River) and seeing velocity this high makes me hope future lots are not "dialed down". I had no pressure signs either.

Kind of had one of those "why bother reloading" moments lol
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top