Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/28/2015 12:13:24 AM EDT
The rifle, Rem 700 16" SPS Tactical 1-10 TB, it has 836 rounds through it and the barrel and action is factory.
The round was a factory loaded Rem. Core Lokt 150gr PSP.

What could cause this type of split. Weak bad brass? The round dropped about 14" lower than it should have and sounded off. Buddy said it sounded like a shotgun or musket not a rifle.

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 12:32:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Brass could have been brittle and bullet push back caused the wierd ignition.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:31:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Improper case neck annealing.  Did the primer back out any?  Was the case difficult to extract?
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 9:20:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ravenu:
Improper case neck annealing.  Did the primer back out any?  Was the case difficult to extract?
View Quote

The primer looked normal/good. No bleed out around the primer either. Just the weird split. Case extracted easily and if I didnt check all my spent cases I'd never known anything was up.
It really looks more like a big gouge not a split. I wonder if when the case was sized the die had a burr or something.
This is the 6th round out of the box I have fired. All over rounds were good.

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 10:03:18 AM EDT
[#4]
it's a pretty normal split neck.  it happens.  i wouldn't obsess over it, especially if it was factory ammo and not your reloads.   if that's duty ammo for you, i'd use a different lot though.  
if that's your reload, then you need to anneal your necks.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:19:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By taliv:
it's a pretty normal split neck.  it happens.  i wouldn't obsess over it, especially if it was factory ammo and not your reloads.   if that's duty ammo for you, i'd use a different lot though.  
if that's your reload, then you need to anneal your necks.
View Quote

Not reloads or duty ammo. Duty ammo is Fed. Sierra Matchking 168 BTHP, this was a Rem. Core Lokt 150 PSP. I have fired 6 rounds out of this box. All others were fine.
You say it's a "normal" split neck? I've never seen a neck split but stop before the rim of the case. That's what seems so weird to me.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:31:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah normal. It's not as common as necks that split from the top but still pretty common
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:37:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By taliv:
Yeah normal. It's not as common as necks that split from the top but still pretty common
View Quote

Thanks. I've only had a 25 WSSM case split on me, first 308.

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:50:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm gonna agree with Ravenu.  Improperly annealed case neck, it happens a lot with brass that's been loaded 5-7 times without being re-annealed.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:50:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By CIB:
I'm gonna agree with Ravenu.  Improperly annealed case neck, it happens a lot with brass that's been loaded 5-7 times without being re-annealed.
View Quote

This was a new factory Remington round.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:55:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By mototard:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mototard:
Originally Posted By CIB:
I'm gonna agree with Ravenu. Improperly annealed case neck, it happens a lot with brass that's been loaded 5-7 times without being re-annealed.

Brass that has been worked by firing and re-sizing becomes work hardened, thus brittle, and will bust like yours, by the same token that particular case was drawn from a little brass nugget when it was made, that process works and hardens the brass that's why they anneal the case necks after the case is made.  Hence an improperly annealed case neck will bust/crack upon firing.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:55:39 PM EDT
[#11]
qc isn't what it used to be.

I bought some new Remington factory .30-40 krag component brass.  After the first loading one neck delaminated like you'd peel off bark off a stick.  

Hidden defects exist.  Seems to happen a lot more than it did 10-12 years ago.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 1:29:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Just a bad case, get those every so often.

Chuck it and move on.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:23:35 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm gonna go with its a bad case

Thanks guys,
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 1:09:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Most remington cases are cuzn30 brass and the controls on the brass quality/purity isn't usually that good. Maybe a bad lot of brass. Was that the only one?
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 11:19:27 AM EDT
[#15]
That is a classic Remington neck split.  Something in their draw process causes it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 10:53:28 PM EDT
[#16]
I've had factory Hornady ammo do the same thing.    I fixed that by not buying Hornady any more.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top