Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/14/2014 12:12:30 PM EDT
I downloaded shooterapp after I saw it highly recommended by some guys I know and that I know can hit targets pretty far away.

I also have an account at Vortex and used the program they have.

Every single input is identical, but the shooter app shows (as an example distance)  12.7 mils for a 1k yard dial with my set up, Vortex shows 12.92.

Is this much variance normal between various programs?  

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 2:15:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Sadly yes. Thy use different formulas.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:07:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been using Ballistic AE and really like it so far. It gives you the option of using JBM or "Ballistic" for the computer data. If I had an android, I'd probably use shooter to connect it with a kestrel.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:28:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 0hw0rd:
I've been using Ballistic AE and really like it so far. It gives you the option of using JBM or "Ballistic" for the computer data. If I had an android, I'd probably use shooter to connect it with a kestrel.
View Quote

I can't afford a kestrel yet, but shooter will also get weather for gps coordinates from your phone, which while obviously not as good as a kestrel, is better than nothing.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 10:40:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: at600] [#4]
Check out the BallisticsARC application. It's been out for iOS for a while and is now available on android as well. I've used it on iOS for a while and I'm impressed. It can pull atmospherics from the local weather stations, or you use the compatible wind or weather meters from WeatherFlow.

[Edit] If I recall correctly, BallisticsARC and Shooter both use the JBM ballistic suite.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 12:35:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I publish ballisticXLR (ballisticxlr.com) and in the process of developing it and testing it, I found that up to .3MOA variance between calculators isn't abnormal when using my reference cartridge data for inputs (7mm, 2950fps, .614BC, 29.2inHg, 50F). Getting the inputs identical is one challenge, especially if you're not paying absolute attention. Having the same mathematical model in the back end is another challenge to identical results. You can tell if your inputs are identical with a little knowledge and skill but you usually can't tell how the math was implemented in any specific program. Mine uses the Pejsa model if that helps.

When testing new versions and features I cross check against what other calculators output and I draw the line at .3MOA @ 1000m with my reference load.

The above are my standards and don't represent any statistical or mathematical departure which is normal. Drag models are just that, models.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 6:31:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Unless your using a vortex, kahles or nightforce scope, don't get Mil-Dot Ballistics. Have emailed the guy a few times with no response. Am looking for another myself with a better catalog of scope manufacturers.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 12:02:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Dan_Gray:
I downloaded shooterapp after I saw it highly recommended by some guys I know and that I know can hit targets pretty far away.

Every single input is identical, but the shooter app shows (as an example distance)  12.7 mils for a 1k yard dial with my set up, Vortex shows 12.92.

View Quote

Are you 100% sure everything is the same? Either way that is still pretty good it is only a 7" vertical difference at 1k yds between the two.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 12:20:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Bearcat24:
Unless your using a vortex, kahles or nightforce scope, don't get Mil-Dot Ballistics. Have emailed the guy a few times with no response. Am looking for another myself with a better catalog of scope manufacturers.
View Quote

Strelok pro has an ungodly amount of reticles.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 10:29:43 AM EDT
[#9]
I included reticles from S&B, Premier, SWFA, Leupold, US Optics, Khales, Valdada and more in BallisticXLR and if you find it doesn't have the one you want, all you need to do is let me know and it'll make the next version.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 4:08:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By ballisticxlr:
I included reticles from S&B, Premier, SWFA, Leupold, US Optics, Khales, Valdada and more in BallisticXLR and if you find it doesn't have the one you want, all you need to do is let me know and it'll make the next version.
View Quote

Any plans for a iOS or android? Nice to have access to my data at the range. Willing to pay for a good program.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 4:36:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By thisisdudewhoru:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By thisisdudewhoru:

Just looked at Strelok pro. Has allot of reticles. Looks like my next ballistic app for my iphone. Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 1:22:32 PM EDT
[#12]

Any plans for a iOS or android? Nice to have access to my data at the range. Willing to pay for a good program.
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By ballisticxlr:

My system, which is derived from that discussed by TiborasaurusRex in his Sniper101 youtube channel is meant to be printed specifically because gadgets fail in the field. I do offer a service as well to print custom data sheets for you on waterproof, tearproof, mudproof, bloodproof Revlar media.

Check out my site, ballisticxlr.com for details. Support is free, download is free, printouts are done at my cost.

Another option, save JPG's exports of your data tables as generated by BallisticXLR or JBM or whatever does what you need and save them on your phone. That way you won't chew up your battery doing ballistics calcs and you'll have juice longer.

There are gobs of phone apps already so no, I have no plans to port it over. To do so would be many hundreds of hours of work and I'd not be making anything really new out of it.

<rant>

If you pay for an app I would suggest that the support for that app should include things like updates to include requested reticles and new projectile data. Try pinging the maker of any app you use if it's not got what you need. My spreadsheet is free for download and comes with free support and I provide updates when requested so I seems to me only right that a pay app should too. </rant>

Link Posted: 5/11/2016 6:29:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 4:38:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By popnfresh:

Are you 100% sure everything is the same? Either way that is still pretty good it is only a 7" vertical difference at 1k yds between the two.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dan_Gray:

I've experienced the same 0.2 mil difference when comparing the jbm ballistic calc (which is dead on for me) on their website and the shooter app. Same inputs but I have to fudge 21.9 fps on shooter app MV to match them up. Gonna try Ballistic AE advanced while it's half off.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 10:00:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#15]
Seems odd when I do it they are nearly perfect.

STRELOK PRO= 394.2" DROP  72"WIND 1361.3fps

SHOOTER = 394.5" DROP  71.8" WIND 1363.4fps

AB MOBILE = 394.5" DROP  71.8" WIND 1363.4fps

JBM Bal = 394.4" DROP  71.7" WIND 1364.1fps

LOL wow.

Again are you sure all settings are the same? 

They wont be accurate if you don't use them correctly. I am guessing the Vortex one is shit(ok well, that is a bit harsh, they are within 7" @ 1k, that is damn good)

Tried to use the guest version of the Vortex, it is shit. Look up weather, location ? I stopped there. If it is going off location for pressure and local weather then it isn't  going to be very close.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 10:17:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By STRIKE504:

I've experienced the same 0.2 mil difference when comparing the jbm ballistic calc (which is dead on for me) on their website and the shooter app. Same inputs but I have to fudge 21.9 fps on shooter app MV to match them up. Gonna try Ballistic AE advanced while it's half off.
View Quote
Just because one matched your conditions doesn't make it correct or more accurate than another.

How precise was your tall target test? Did you just walk off the 100yds or use a range finder or did you measure it with a tape? Or did you assume your scope was perfect?
 What BC did you use, an advertised BC or custom, how accurate was your MV etc. 

There are so many places for error that small(7") at 1k yds. 
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 11:41:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Just because one matched your conditions doesn't make it correct or more accurate than another.

How precise was your tall target test? Did you just walk off the 100yds or use a range finder or did you measure it with a tape? Or did you assume your scope was perfect?
 What BC did you use, an advertised BC or custom, how accurate was your MV etc. 

There are so many places for error that small(7") at 1k yds. 
View Quote
I'm just saying that using the same inputs in both programs I was given two different corrections, I've observed real world correction multiple times with different DAs and it trues up every time. Advertised BC and my observed mv don't matter as much to me as what the bullet says it's doing at the target, those just get me in the ballpark.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 6:03:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By STRIKE504:

I'm just saying that using the same inputs in both programs I was given two different corrections, I've observed real world correction multiple times with different DAs and it trues up every time. Advertised BC and my observed mv don't matter as much to me as what the bullet says it's doing at the target, those just get me in the ballpark.
View Quote
Something was probably different. Look at my post above. Four different solvers, output drop to the inch of all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top