Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/27/2017 7:30:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LRRPF52]
A buddy of mine asked if I could make a protective pouch that would MOLLE onto his Rush 24 5.11 pack.

He has a Leica set of LRF binos, $3200 unit with a rather poor factory case.  Uses them for PRS regularly.

I took measurements, and applied my formula for making a good pouch with 1/4" padding, packcloth lining, attention to detail, bartacked stress points, and came up with this:

Update: I got a request for a spotting scope cover in MARPAT desert.  Had fun with it and made an integral mesh ARD, that is removable, improved the design of the objective cover from the OEM Leupold cover (made in China), and made sure it was fully padded with quality US-made materials and tough construction.  Fastening system is redundant with snaps as primary, hook/pile as back up/deactivated.

Link Posted: 7/27/2017 8:28:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I didn't know you were a stitch bitch.... that's nice work...
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 9:03:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Nicely done.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 8:31:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Here it is in its intended role.  I was happy to help him out, as he's squared me away more than a time or 2.

Link Posted: 8/1/2017 11:48:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Dude, that's awesome. You could sell those.

Did you sew the 1/4" padding in yourself?
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 6:47:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By alpha0815:
Dude, that's awesome. You could sell those.

Did you sew the 1/4" padding in yourself?
View Quote
I designed and did everything myself.

Took one of my SAW pouches for measurements, then used some basic math to get the ratios correct so that the height of the face was proportional to the height of the rear.

Made the templates, everything lined up out of the gate.

Like my SAW and small utility pouches, it's lined with 400D packcloth, padded in between, and outer is 500D Cordura for lightweight, plenty of abrasion resistance.

Since he wanted protection for his $3200 Leicas, I used the 1/4" padding.  My Juki blasted right through everything like it was nothing.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 4:22:37 PM EDT
[#6]
That pouch  is really nice. 
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 3:11:58 PM EDT
[#7]
What machine did you use to do this? I'm looking for a machine for similar type of projects. Awesome work!
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:25:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By waggoner42:
What machine did you use to do this? I'm looking for a machine for similar type of projects. Awesome work!
View Quote
Final assembly was done on my Juki-1541S.

I do a lot of the flatwork on a lighter duty machine.

I also bartack.

I've been making my own pouches since the 1980s, learned a lot about planning and template making when I was a kid on my own.

These aren't something you just throw together on a whim without a really good background in pattern-making and sewing.

Final assembly is the hardest, and only very heavy duty machines will get through all the folded layers and binding tape.

The Juki alone with the table is a $2000 machine.

Bartack machines will run anywhere from $650 to $4000 for CNC.

Lighter duty straight stitch machines can be found for $250 and up.  A good Juki straight stitch machine runs $750 and up.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:49:18 PM EDT
[#9]
For years I've admired your contributions to this site, but this is simply outstanding. You have my respect!
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 6:25:10 PM EDT
[#10]
This is just a basic pouch for his LRF, but is lined with pack cloth and padded between those 2 layers.

When I say padded, if you were to hold the pouch, it would feel like a somewhat solid box, but is still very lightweight.

With the 1/4" padding, there is no way other than extreme impact speed that the LRF will be damaged.

My SAW and Small Utility pouches are much more involved than this, as they have all kinds of external and internal stowage, with removable spacers.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 8:29:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Where do you get your materials?
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 4:05:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Most of it comes from Rockywoods.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 9:13:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Thank you!   Beautiful work.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 9:18:55 AM EDT
[#14]
reminds me i need a new sewing machine.

I would sew up some of my own stuff, but it always looks ghetto as fuck and my machine doesn't have enough juice to punch through harder stuff.

thats nice work.
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 9:12:29 PM EDT
[#15]
That's great work. I've been trying to find a padded case/pouch that my Lupi will fit in.
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 9:52:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LRRPF52] [#16]
Originally Posted By m24shooter:
That's great work. I've been trying to find a padded case/pouch that my Lupi will fit in.
View Quote
Leupold spotter or LRF?

The mini LRF pouches are getting more and more requests.

Kestrels and other gear too.

Link Posted: 2/25/2018 10:27:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By LRRPF52:

Leupold spotter or LRF?
View Quote
The LRF.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 9:55:31 PM EDT
[#18]
That looks amazing.

Do you sell your designs or just do it for yourself/friends?
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 10:26:34 PM EDT
[#19]
That is AWESOME!

I'm subscribing to this thread because OP is a cool guy.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 11:32:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By airsix:
For years I've admired your contributions to this site, but this is simply outstanding. You have my respect!
View Quote
Thanks for your kindness.

I've been sewing since I was a kid, started by hand.

Sewing Ghillie suits by hand was brutal on my thumb joint, so I went to machine and never looked back.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 6:10:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Really nice. you decide to sell some put me on the list.
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 8:21:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Updated with padded Spotting Scope cover.

Has veg attachment points, tough construction, integral ARD, 1/4" thick padded obj cover, disrupted pattern alignment...and other things.
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 10:46:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By LRRPF52:
Updated with padded Spotting Scope cover.

Has veg attachment points, tough construction, integral ARD, 1/4" thick padded obj cover, disrupted pattern alignment...and other things.
View Quote
Nice, if you ever make some for the newest vortex razor scopes(27x60x80) let me know....

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 9:18:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 27Katana] [#24]
I like the spotting scope cover cover, I run the Badger Mount and I was waiting for  Badger’s cover to be released and I got tired of waiting so I made my own.

The stitching is not the best. It was my first attempt at sewing.

Link Posted: 8/23/2018 5:58:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LRRPF52] [#25]
That's not bad for a first try, not bad at all.

Looks like you need to adjust the tension in your machine for that fabric and thread combo, sew some boxed X's with reinforcement, but otherwise looks like a strong start.

Is it padded?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top