Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/1/2017 1:20:49 AM EDT
Waited a while for this one, and I'll say that it was worth the wait.

Some of the general features:
As a standard tripod, adjustable from 23"-64"
When in low profile configuration, gets as low as 9"
2 legs are removable and come with attachable wrist straps, turning them into trekking poles, which can also used in a shooting V configuration.  These are adjustable from 16"-50".
Stores at a height of 18"
Twist convertible feet, from rubber to spike and back
Due to carbon fiber and aluminum construction, weighs 3.6lbs
Equipment hook at the bottom of the main shaft.  If you need more stability, something weighted can be hung from the hook to steady the tripod.  You can also hang a bag or basket with accessories in it.

I really like the twist locks for adjusting the height of the legs.  A small twist unlocks them, and a small twist securely locks them.  Most of the other twist-lock tripods I've had required a goodly twist to unlock.  Nightforce's twist-locks are much quicker and easier to use.

I've only played with it in the kitchen so far.  I'll have it on the range in a week or so as I need to zero a couple of M4's at 100yds.  The first weekend in April I'm running a 2-day Basic Precision Course, so I'll give it a much better shakeout then.

The Nightforce Carbon Fiber tripod comes neatly packaged in a sturdy, black nylon carrying and storage case.  It stores up into approximately half the space that all my previous tripods have taken up.

Folded up for storage:

Maximum height:

Lowest height:

Fully adjustable fluid/ball/panning head:

If you order about $10,000 worth of optics and accessories from Nightforce in about a half year, they'll give ya a couple of sharp hats!
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 10:57:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag for range report. 

This is is on my short list for shit to get this year
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 6:29:14 AM EDT
[#2]
I've had it on the range several times in the past 3 weeks, but only with a spotting scope.  Haven't shot off of it yet.  

No issues, gripes or complaints so far.   I haven't had to hang a weight from the bottom to keep her steady.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 7:32:50 AM EDT
[#3]
I think I read a 16lbs weight limit, is that true?
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 3:37:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By right_rudder:
I think I read a 16lbs weight limit, is that true?
View Quote
If I'm reading this right it's 17.6#.

http://nightforceoptics.com/spotting-scopes/carbon-fiber-tripod
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 6:30:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By D-RAS03:

If I'm reading this right it's 17.6#.

http://nightforceoptics.com/spotting-scopes/carbon-fiber-tripod
View Quote
Thanks for the link, for some reason I couldn't find the tripod on their website 
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 6:39:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been looking at these as well. Thanks for the post OP!. I would assume that the weight listed for the head is the weight it can hold? Would shooting off of it be ok due to the recoil?
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 1:36:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Unless you really need the trekking poles feature of this tripod, I would say you would be better off getting a Mefoto Globetrotter carbon fiber, which is the same price (if not cheaper) as the Nightforce tripod, has a 26lb load capacity, and comes with an Arca-Swiss style clamp.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 1:43:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dace] [#8]
Looks like a rebranded Zomei. Bag I have even looks identical to mine.

https://www.amazon.com/Lightweight-Samsung-Panasonic-Olympus-Camcorders/dp/B01GYDME46?tag=vglnk-c102-20

Link Posted: 4/25/2017 2:09:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By ocabj:
Unless you really need the trekking poles feature of this tripod, I would say you would be better off getting a Mefoto Globetrotter carbon fiber, which is the same price (if not cheaper) as the Nightforce tripod, has a 26lb load capacity, and comes with an Arca-Swiss style clamp.
View Quote
I'm definitely wanting it for the trekking poles feature. Hoping to do some Elk hunting in the next couple years and this would greatly reduce weight and crap I have to lug around.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 3:35:55 PM EDT
[#10]
I spent about a year researching tri-pods.

Looked real close that the NF, Fiesol and RRS.

Ended up with the RRS with a leveling base.  Very happy.

I still have my old CF tri-pod with a Center of Mass basic saddle that will go on my big game hunting load out.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 2:57:27 PM EDT
[#11]
That is not a lot of money for a CF tripod, ball head w/ qr plate, and case.

In your experience has the 17lb load rating been accurate for the ball head or only the tripod?
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 3:07:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Looked at one at the gun show, wouldn't trade my manfrotto for it. I think they missed a real opportunity here, very disappointed.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 3:34:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By nihilsum:

In your experience has the 17lb load rating been accurate for the ball head or only the tripod?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Most I have hung on it so far is a 6lb x100 spotting scope.  However it held up fine on the ball head even when rotated to the side.  I can play with it later to see if I can max it out.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 11:57:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Dace:
Most I have hung on it so far is a 6lb x100 spotting scope.  However it held up fine on the ball head even when rotated to the side.  I can play with it later to see if I can max it out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Here is one of my Zomei tripods.  It has a 6lb scope on it.  I hung 10lbs of water and bottles off the end and it held.  Normally that much weight wouldnt be in just one spot but spread out.  I would say the rating is accurate for the ball head.

Not scientific at all but its all I have.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 9:28:13 PM EDT
[#15]

Here is one of my Zomei tripods.  It has a 6lb scope on it.  I hung 10lbs of water and bottles off the end and it held.  Normally that much weight wouldnt be in just one spot but spread out.  I would say the rating is accurate for the ball head.

Not scientific at all but its all I have.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/69019/IMG-4723-203963.JPG
View Quote
Sciency enough for me; thanks.

Very tempted by that set. Off brand tripods can be a crap shoot so it is good to have some reviews out on it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top