Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/2/2016 11:23:26 AM EDT
Ok New to the precision shooting and just gearing up. I have a set of bags, and a bipod .
Is the investment into a monopoly pod worth the $95 .
Rifle in question is the RPR in .308

Thanks in advance,
Snert..
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 11:40:40 AM EDT
[#1]
My opinion is don't bother.  Some argue that having a stop right there is actually bad for precision shooting.  It creates a brake that dogs into the ground below the bore axis, creating a moment force that causes the recoil to bounce the rifle up instead of smoothly pushing to the rear.  Not sure if that's 100% true or not, but it makes sense to me.  I've always just used a small shooting bag.  Nothing big or fancy; small enough to fit in a cargo pocket.  It'll keep the stock secure and stable at the right height and allow the recoil to flow more naturally.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 12:42:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ballisticxlr] [#2]
I've used both bags and rear monopods and discovered how terrible monopods are for most purposes. They're just one more blasted thing to have to fiddle with from shot to shot and don't give you anything a bag won't except one more thing hanging off the rifle to snag on stuff. A bag is usually a much better option. You get all the stability you want but in a more analog way. That is, when you set a monopod for height X it's set there and any change in the target situation (including recoil shifting your rifle around) will require you to fiddle with it again. If the wind changes and you have to shift your hold to one side you'll probably need to readjust the monopod. With a bag you can make incredibly minor changes to the rifles point of aim, not only in elevation but for windage too and you can adapt to changing conditions very quickly.

On the rifles I have that do have rear monopods they only come into use if the bag I use isn't tall enough (severely downhill shots) and then I still rest the monopod on the bag and manipulate the bag for that last super fine adjustment in my hold.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 1:40:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I Figure a  bag will be better for me. But just wanted to make sure I'm not missing some critical reason for a mono pod.
My range has shooting from a bench, prone or standing. and is all flat, now hills.
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 11:20:47 AM EDT
[#4]
My experience with rear monopods for the toe of the stock are that they rarely get used, and you will just fold them and use a bag instead.

There are waste of money and resources.

I do sometimes use a front camera monopod with a PIG Saddle slid into one of the sleeves on my packs for a rucksack or daypack supported position.

You can hug the pack or bag with your legs, and set into the saddle mounted in your bag, if you don't want to take the time to deploy a tripod.

That's why I keep 2 PIG Saddles in my armory.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 2:17:37 PM EDT
[#5]
This thread is a little old but I thought I would add my $.02 anyway. I am a big fan of monopod and run them on both my precision rifles, A) An AR-15 lower with PRS stock that I use with a 18" .223 Wylde upper and a 20" 6.5 Grendel upper.  I have a rail mounted accu-shot monopod on this set up.  On my 6.5 Creedmoor bolt gun I have an Accu-shot stud mounted monopod.  Both a fantastic.  I prefer the newer design with the two rings.  The comments here dont seem to be from people who use monopods as they fail to mention a very handy method of using the device. The monopod swings out from its 45 degree stowed position to its locked 90 degree position. By not of locking it vertically into its 90 degree position and holding the monopod with your support hand the shooter can quickly and easily manipulate the height moving it between 45/90, much like squeezing and sandbag but more secure in my opinion. This applies to the BT monopods only, I dont think the CTRs can do this.  Have a look on youtube.  You  may need to watch a handful of videos but you can find people demonstrating this function.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top