Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2015 12:11:52 AM EDT
Well I know that long range precision and budget don't really fit in the same category, but since I am new to the bolt gun world, I want to make a starter kit to use for distance shooting. I don't want to call it a "sniper" kit per-say, but well it will be. I watched the sniper 101 tutorial on YouTube, and I want to build a drag bag kit for as little money as possible while still being useful. Anyone have any suggestions on budget gear for a drag bag?
Link Posted: 10/23/2015 9:47:58 AM EDT
[#1]
These were pretty darn decent. Has backpack straps on one side to carry on your back. I bought one when it came with 6 pmags... The reviews I read said the backpack straps were a weak spot but could be re-inforced if needed. Not sure if this is exactly one you want with a "drag bag" but thought I would throw it out there.

Palmetto?
Link Posted: 10/23/2015 11:50:10 AM EDT
[#2]
midway has a branded bag that's decent enough. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/939497671/midwayusa-heavy-duty-shooting-mat-rifle-case?cm_vc=ProductFinding
Link Posted: 10/23/2015 6:40:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys, I'm definitely eyeing that midway bag, what about other equipment to put in it? Binos? Range finder? Windsor meters? Handheld Gps? What do you guys use/like that is wallet friendly?
Link Posted: 10/24/2015 1:50:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By LeadRX:
Thanks guys, I'm definitely eyeing that midway bag, what about other equipment to put in it? Binos? Range finder? Windsor meters? Handheld Gps? What do you guys use/like that is wallet friendly?
View Quote

For long range stuff it may be better to skip some items until you are willing to buy stuff that isn't wallet friendly.

Kestrel 4000 will give you all the atmospherics you need, the orange one is the least expensive I think.

Range finders for long range are going to be expensive if you actually want them to work reliably at long range(8-900+yds). Might be better off with a $100 Garmin GPS rather than buying a $200-400 rangefinder that will only work to 500yds 100% of the time. If you will be placing your targets set a waypoint  with the GPS and go.

MagnetoSpeed

I have a $125 Celestron spotting scope, can see hits on steel at 1000yds with it, it has been banging around in my bag for a few years now with no issue. The atmosphere is going to be more of a visual limiting factor than the quality of the spotting scope(providing you don't buy complete garbage)

I keep my homemade squeeze bag with the rifle.

IR thermometer, paid like $25 on amazon works great and agrees with the Kestrel within a degree or so

I keep small notebooks for load/atmospherics/MV/round count/ cleaning/etc data

Simple solid(ball head) tripod for spotting scope and range finder(if you get one).

I keep a one piece cleaning rod and minimal cleaning kit with a tube of grease for the bolt lugs.

New batteries for electronic devices.

Any fastener tools the rifle may require.

Link Posted: 10/24/2015 2:05:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By popnfresh:

For long range stuff it may be better to skip some items until you are willing to buy stuff that isn't wallet friendly.

Kestrel 4000 will give you all the atmospherics you need, the orange one is the least expensive I think.

Range finders for long range are going to be expensive if you actually want them to work reliably at long range(8-900+yds). Might be better off with a $100 Garmin GPS rather than buying a $200-400 rangefinder that will only work to 500yds 100% of the time. If you will be placing your targets set a waypoint  with the GPS and go.

MagnetoSpeed

I have a $125 Celestron spotting scope, can see hits on steel at 1000yds with it, it has been banging around in my bag for a few years now with no issue. The atmosphere is going to be more of a visual limiting factor than the quality of the spotting scope(providing you don't buy complete garbage)

IR thermometer, paid like $25 on amazon works great and agrees with the Kestrel within a degree or so

Simple solid(ball head) tripod for spotting scope and range finder(if you get one).

I keep a one piece cleaning rod and minimal cleaning kit with a tube of grease for the bolt lugs.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By popnfresh:
Originally Posted By LeadRX:

MagnetoSpeed

Thank you, this is exactly what I'm looking for. I think the first few things I will get is a spotting scope and a Harmon handheld gps......and a drag bag.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 12:58:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ballisticxlr] [#6]
I like the Kestrel 2500. A little cheaper, still does what you need.

I keep the Kestrel, an IR thermometer, ipod touch and  Ballistic_XLR data set in a ballisticxlr.com Pelican BAD-EDS kit. I keep a caldwell rear bag, Magnetospeed, rifle specific tool kit (just put together from bits), Apple brand lens cleaning cloth, lensatic compass, steel tent pegs, multi-piece cleaning rod, bore snake with cleaner/lube stuff, Gerber Multi-Tool, a couple pieces of nylon webbing with side release buckles, an FRS radio (for playtime) or proper CB walkie-talkie (for not playtime), a little 550 paracord and a basic swiss army knife. One pocket is reserved for ammo. Ammo is often in 10 round plastic carriers (like federal hunting ammo comes in inside the box) that get velcro tied to the loops inside the pockets.

Here's a pic of some of my normal kit:

The pelican 1095 doesn't quite fit in the pockets of the midway bag but it straps well to the outside of it. The backpack straps on the Midway bag are great. I routinely overload that bag and it's held up well.

I don't often use a rangefinder and never bring my spotting scopes to the field. The spotting glass is for match use, not field use for me (too expensive to break it screwing around). Rangefinding I try to do with my reticle and improve my skills there. If I were doing something business'y I would almost certainly bring a rangefinder but not a spotting scope. My spotter has a high mag scope on his rifle already.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 12:50:50 PM EDT
[#7]
drago bag

I use this for my bolt gun as opposed to building a drag bag, simple back pack straps and plenty of storage.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 5:56:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mort] [#8]
I got tired of schlepping a drag bag around, I only use it to move the rifle to and from the car.  I keep most of my stuff in a medium size camelback pack or battle belt now.  Here is what I went with for gear, i've been using for PRS matches this year.

Binos/range finder: Bushnell Fusion 1-Mile ARC Binocular Laser Rangefinder with Matrix Display 10x42 $1000ish (Cheaper rangefinders suck beyond 500yds)

Wind Meter: WeatherHawk WindMate Hand-Held Weather Meter, I got the cheapest meter they had that shows density altitude. wm-350 $160ish

Strelok Pro: Ballistic app for my phone. $5-10

Dope card holder: Sidewinder dope card holder $30 or you could probably make one from parts at hardware store. (I used to use an armboard, but this is much better)

GPS: one of a thousand GPS apps available in the android store. Hunt app is more expensive but has huge topo and property map selection.

Tools: Allen, torx and wrench for every size screw/nut on your gun; shaving brush to remove dust; multitool; light; many pens/markers/sharpies/grease pencil; Duct tape; Backup phone battery; cleaning kit with screw together rods (in-case you need to knock stuck brass out of your chamber); Notepad; Spray can of CLP if i'm running my AR10 to clean dust off bolt assembly.

Tripod: manfroto MT290XTC3US with home-made saddle off this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIcf-Sfw4GU

Don't forget:

Dope cards for your load at different density altitudes and temperatures.

Sunscreen

Water

Bug spray

Ammo

Magazines

Ear plugs/muffs

Twinkies & Jerky

ETA

I've been seeing folks with eberlestock rifle packs like the X3-LoDrag and GS05M Eberlestock Gunslinger Pack at matches that involve hiking around.  Looking at the specs they seem to add 5lbs to your load and the size of the packs allows you to bring more crap along.

Link Posted: 9/6/2016 11:32:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Bipod: Gotta recommend Harris, BRMS, Larue version makes removal and reattachment super easy for swapping between guns or for putting the rifle in the rack at the range  for those rare occasions.
Rear Bag: I'd suggest something cheap, rectangular (for 3 heights) with adjustable filling. I have a Crosstac that worked great as a beginner rear bag.
Spotting Scope: Best spotter for budget right now is the Bushnell Legend Tactical. 15-45X, glass is usable but not perfect, and it has a mil reticle for spotting.
LRF: Sig Kilo 2000. Optics not the best but its not a spotter, its a simple LRF and gives angle to half degree and is perfect for free hand applications.
Lens brush and cloth
Notepad and pencil
Phone for photos and ballistics app
Id suggest a real padded mat for prone shooting if you are not walking with it. Midway has some good values in their house line, but they are NOT field mats for walking, they are just Cadillac shooting mats.
Kestrel wind meter to learn what various speed look like, not necessarily for measurement. The latest Kestrels have much better ballistics software.
Eventually you will want a tripod, but that is not cheap. Something packable and good is going to be expensive. Start with something heavy and cheap that has a weight rating that can handle your rifle. Get a leveling base instead of a ball to save money and make panning easy.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 1:18:43 PM EDT
[#10]
My college budget gear has been serving me well, it has allowed me to experiement and grow my skills.

Rear bags? Make your own! If you have access to a sewing machine its simple, may not be pretty but they work.  I have 3 different sizes and shapes of rear bags, most expensive part was the plastic pellets I used to fill them.  Probably could have used sand or rice.
I have gotten by without a range finder.  all I have done is range with the mil dots in the scope and/or used a free GPS app on my phone.  
I record all of my data in a couple of little write in rain note books.  You can buy fancy premade log books which are nice but they are also about 5x's expensive.

I have tried all of the free phone ballistic calculators and they get me really close dope charts.  I generally have to actually go out in the field and test/tweak them.  Add a half minute here take a quarter from here etc.

Only thing I have not found a cheap alternative too is a good chronograph and wind/weather meter.  I truly just need to spend the money and get myself them because they would really take my shooting/reloading experience to the next level.  
they can wait till after graduation though.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 9:56:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By JHans7663:
My college budget gear has been serving me well, it has allowed me to experiement and grow my skills.

Rear bags? Make your own! If you have access to a sewing machine its simple, may not be pretty but they work.  I have 3 different sizes and shapes of rear bags, most expensive part was the plastic pellets I used to fill them.  Probably could have used sand or rice.
I have gotten by without a range finder.  all I have done is range with the mil dots in the scope and/or used a free GPS app on my phone.  
I record all of my data in a couple of little write in rain note books.  You can buy fancy premade log books which are nice but they are also about 5x's expensive.

I have tried all of the free phone ballistic calculators and they get me really close dope charts.  I generally have to actually go out in the field and test/tweak them.  Add a half minute here take a quarter from here etc.

Only thing I have not found a cheap alternative too is a good chronograph and wind/weather meter.  I truly just need to spend the money and get myself them because they would really take my shooting/reloading experience to the next level.  
they can wait till after graduation though.
View Quote

Yeah, I got an impact data book, it works well, but I need a few more pages of certain types.

I also need a chronograph, I have been borrowing my friends cheap one for testing loads, but I would like to get a good one of my own. And I plan on getting some clear ballistics gel, I would like to see the terminal performance of my loads.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 10:02:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Get the cheap magnetospeed. All the accuracy, but only 1 shot displayed at a time and under $200.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top