Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2017 12:58:36 PM EDT
I've been wanting a NXS F1 3.5-15x50 for awhile now, just not readily available so been patiently searching.

However i came across a regular NXS 3.5-15x50 for a great price

Unfortunately i do not have the ability to personally get behind both scopes and make my own call, and I'm not well traveled in FFP as of yet, so I'm hoping some of you guys could offer some insight.

Is it worth the extra waiting/$$$ for an F1? Or is the regular NXS close enough (or better?)?

Usage will be at ranges of 800m or less, 65% of shots 600m or less and the remainder reaching out farther, at stationary targets (unless we get invaded by communists)
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 1:12:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroE] [#1]
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 2:10:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I personally wouldn't get a 15x that wasn't FFP for long range shooting but there probably will be few instances where there would be an issue.

90%  of the time you will be able to keep it at 15x so the reticle subtentions will be correct for holds and determining corrections.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 2:55:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheQuadfather] [#3]
Discontinuing the 3.5-15X50 f1 was probably the stupidest idea ever.  

The ATACR 4-16 took it's place and is a better scope, but the 3.5-15 was cheaper and looked sexier on a bolt gun

I like FFP for most uses.  SFP is not a problem if you dial for wind and elevation, holding over/off ain't happening unless you're correcting based off of bullet impact, in that case reticle value doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 3:51:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 5:03:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AeroE:

FFP scopes scale the reticle.

The reticle in SFP scopes can be scaled according to the magnification, and a preprinted table with adjustments for a couple of magnificaitons might be useful, but I'm not going to use a calculator if I'm mobile.

Again, how many times will a person range with the reticle?  I can see some application in competition such as PRS where the distances are unknown and there is a time constraint, and that is about the only place I would use one.  If I'm sitting hunting and the possible shots are really long, then I'm going to measure the distance with a range finder.  For shorter distances we should have a good idea of the point blank range.
View Quote
It's not about ranging it's about your holds being the same no matter what magnification your'e using. No one ranges with a reticle anymore.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 5:09:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By drago6:
I've been wanting a NXS F1 3.5-15x50 for awhile now, just not readily available so been patiently searching.

However i came across a regular NXS 3.5-15x50 for a great price

Unfortunately i do not have the ability to personally get behind both scopes and make my own call, and I'm not well traveled in FFP as of yet, so I'm hoping some of you guys could offer some insight.

Is it worth the extra waiting/$$ for an F1? Or is the regular NXS close enough (or better?)?

Usage will be at ranges of 800m or less, 65% of shots 600m or less and the remainder reaching out farther, at stationary targets (unless we get invaded by communists)
View Quote

I was in your same position and I went with the SFP NXS because that's what I could afford at the time. If your'e not hunting with it or shooting comps you'll be fine. Most of the time mine stays on 15x. The few times I have dialed down to 10x has been short enough ranges that it didn't matter.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 5:14:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm all about FFP scopes, but I will never sell my SFP NSX 3.5-15X50.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 5:32:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 2:25:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Get the "regular NXS 3.5-15x50 for a great price", you'll be happy, probably.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 3:11:35 AM EDT
[#10]
If it's for long range shooting I'd go FFP.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 3:21:56 PM EDT
[#11]
I won't own a long range scope thats not FFP.  That said if you're not shooting matches it becomes much less important.  I don't use my reticle for ranging so much as making accurate holds at all levels of magnification.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 3:24:55 PM EDT
[#12]
I would never buy a FFP scope unless I was using it to range at the highest magnifications.  The reticle is nearly invisible at the lowest magnifications in some scopes, and unusable at low magnifications when it becomes visible.
View Quote
I'd never buy an SFP scope for anything but known distance, square range target shooting.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 3:25:34 PM EDT
[#13]
But like has already been said, on the lower settings you cant even see the reticle.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 3:26:48 PM EDT
[#14]

I click the come ups.  Hold off for wind within reason is one thing, hold over for elevation is another.

The only thing worse is a bdc reticle.
View Quote
What are your wind holds with your scope backed down to 7x so you can see what's going on?
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 7:39:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By ziarifleman:
What are your wind holds with your scope backed down to 7x so you can see what's going on?
View Quote
Kentucky.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:07:27 PM EDT
[#16]
I've not played around with a FFP scope to say how awsomley necessary they are but have used a NF SFP quite a bit.
   Shoot, take notes and shoot some more. You FFP guys make it sound like a SFP scope is completely useless which I think is a tad overboard. They are two different roads to the same destination.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 2:31:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By glorifiedG:
I've not played around with a FFP scope to say how awsomley necessary they are but have used a NF SFP quite a bit.
   Shoot, take notes and shoot some more. You FFP guys make it sound like a SFP scope is completely useless which I think is a tad overboard. They are two different roads to the same destination.
View Quote
Well, I've used both.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 8:05:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By glorifiedG:
But like has already been said, on the lower settings you cant even see the reticle.
View Quote
My experience with LR precision shooting is only slightly above 'FNG' but I feel that the above is worth saying again.  

I recently upgraded my old 4-16 PST SFP to a 6-24 PST FFP.  At 24x, the ret is about the same size as my SFP scopes.  At 6x, I have a hard time seeing it unless I'm shooting at a light colored target.  In the woods/shade/dusk, the ret is basically useless at low power without being lit up.  I've had a few $$ SFP scopes over the years.....a couple of Leupold Mk4/VariX-III 6-20s, some IORs 2-10, 4-14, 2-12, and a NF NXS 5-22.  This PST is the first FFP I've owned, and it's the only scope I've ever actually needed the illumination feature on.

FWIW, my old NF NXS 5.5-22x56 was an incredible piece of glass.  If I ever bump into another for a good price and have money in my wallet, I'll probably jump on it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top